Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes II

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Lib Dems those days want to be liberal and not be Labour-lite. Or at least that's what I've heard from the Lib Dems on this board...

I see what you mean, I remember someone mentioning they had refused to vote for a policy involving knife laws as part of a liberal mentality.

It's probably not fair to insinuate that Farron would subscribe to the sort of short-term benefit of a merger, especially if he comes to recognise the mistakes the Lib Dems made over the coalition. I kind of assumed that the merger is an early mistake they make in the uproar of a Corbyn win.

How is this possible?

Greece organised a referendum in, like, a week. Maybe they wanted to avoid the excessive polarisation that came about as a result of the 2014 referendum (and/or capitalise on public outrage resulting from the Brexit) and so pulled a Singapore?

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Greece organised a referendum in, like, a week. Maybe they wanted to avoid the excessive polarisation that came about as a result of the 2014 referendum (and/or capitalise on public outrage resulting from the Brexit) and so pulled a Singapore?

Only problem with that is that the Scottish Government doesn't technically have the legal powers to call a referendum by itself. As we saw in the runup to the 2014 referendum, the UK Government had to legislate for the referendum.

Only problem with that is that the Scottish Government doesn't technically have the legal powers to call a referendum by itself. As we saw in the runup to the 2014 referendum, the UK Government had to legislate for the referendum.

That didn't stop the Catalans - it's just that their referendum didn't really lead to much of anything besides confirming what everyone already knew (yes, the Catalans want independence, no, they don't want it nearly so overwhelmingly as the referendum shows because yes, the federalists will boycott what they view as an illegal referendum, and yes, Mariano Rajoy is perfectly happy to suspend democracy to get his way).

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
That didn't stop the Catalans - it's just that their referendum didn't really lead to much of anything besides confirming what everyone already knew (yes, the Catalans want independence, no, they don't want it nearly so overwhelmingly as the referendum shows because yes, the federalists will boycott what they view as an illegal referendum, and yes, Mariano Rajoy is perfectly happy to suspend democracy to get his way).

True, but that was eventually billed as more of a consultation than a referendum.

In a similar Scottish situation the British Government could easily just not recognise the legitimacy of the referendum - due to the Scottish Government not legally having the powers to call a referendum - and refuse to negotiate Scotland's separation. This leads to Scotland getting the short end of a stick if it goes down the route of a unilateral declaration, which could lead to minimal international recognition and no EU membership.

Thande

Donor

But I don't think the Scottish government could physically organise even a UDI referendum in less than maybe three months. It's not as if they have any authority or infrastructure to set up polling stations and vote counters in defiance of Westminster and so on.

The New England maps are hand made from scratch. I took the water from Google Maps, made it one colour in google maps, and went from there. The Columbian map is an old county map of the United States that I have. Not sure where I got it from. From what I know of, there is no unified map of Canada and the United States with counties and census divisions.
Thanks. filler

Hey, even more things, you should maybe look at, you know, if you like looking at things.

wgKEmAK.png

Previous Southpaw infoboxes:
Old Ball Game book
1908 World Series
Dynamite Bill Bryan
Top Ten Soutpaw Players: 8&9, 7&10
1959 Tallahatachie County baseball lynchings

Zachanassian

Gone Fishin'
How do you do election infoboxes for fictional countries?
I've found that it's a lot easier to make them in Excel, as that allows me to enter data without having to deal with Wiki's interface. I can also use whatever pictures/flags/whatever I want to.

To wit, I made this box completely in Excel:
Union_960_zpshuxmbpnv.png~original

Thande

Donor
How wouldn't it be possible? You Brits have snap elections held three weeks or so after an unexpected dissolution of parliament every once in a while. I'm sure you could arrange a referendum in less than a month's time.

But Westminster has the authority to say 'go and get vote counters and polling stations set up so we can have an election'. No other body does. Unless the whole electoral infrastructure in Scotland 'defected' overnight, there's no way Holyrood could do an UDI referendum.

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Something relating to India as requested by Thande.

----

The Federation of India is the fifth-largest country on the planet Earth by area and the most populous country with over 1.5 billion people. Bounded by the Indian Ocean on the south, the Arabian Sea on the south-west, and the Bay of Bengal on the south-east, it shares land borders with the Imperial State of Iran and the Kingdom of Afghanistan to the west; the Soviet Union, the State of Tibet, the Kingdom of Nepal and the Kingdom of Bhutan to the north; and the Union of Burma to the east. In the Indian Ocean, India is in the vicinity of Sri Lanka, the Sultanate of the Maldives and Britain's Andaman and Nicobar Islands.

India gained defacto independence from the British Empire in 1935 when it was granted self-governing non-integrated dominion status, at which time Burma was split off into a separate colony. During the Second World War (1937-1945) Northeast India was occupied by Chinese forces (along with neighbouring Burma) as part of the Provisional Government of Free India, and in the aftermath of the conflict India lobbied for the successful annexation of Chinese territory by Tibet to create a buffer state between the two countries.

In the late 1940s and 50s India underwent profound political change, with the adoption of Statute of Westminster in 1947, which severed most of the remaining political and legislative links with Britain, and the promulgation of a new constitution in 1951. Under this constitution, after the death of George VI in 1952, the position of Emperor was renamed as "Badishah" and made an elective monarchy, with the holder elected from amongst the heads of the princely states.

As of 2015 India is a pluralistic, multilingual, and a multi-ethnic society. The Indian economy is the world's eighth-largest by nominal GDP and third-largest by purchasing power parity (PPP). Despite India's role in the victory of the Allies over the Axis in World War II, and the country's status as a nuclear weapons state and great power, India does not hold a permanent seat on the UN Security Council (which consists of the UK, USSR, France, Brazil and Japan) but the country is a leading member of both the Commonwealth of Nations and the Non-Aligned Movement.

Ft3N93b.png

Major differences are obviously that the British Raj stays united as an elective monarchy. I also changed the green colour in the OTL Indian flag to match that in the Pakistan flag. The motto is the same as OTL India, but the anthem is one that was composed IOTL by a Muslim who originally supported a United India - I thought it was appropriate ITTL.

Regarding Hindustani, Hindi and Urdu - with no India/Pakistan split Hindustani remains considered as a single language whilst Hindi and Urdu are considered dialects with different writting styles.

Hail, Britannia
UK SDP leadership spill, 2004 & leadership election, 2011
Missourian federal election, 2014
Commonwealth of New England
Canadian federal election, 2011
New England federal election, 2010
American Theatre of World War I
Liberal Party of New England

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.