Alternate Weapons of War thread...

Interesting idea, I know the Germans did issue the MAS 36 to second line troops, POW camp guards for instance but I don't believe they ever considered converting them. If it was possible to convert the MAS to 8mm, I'm sure the Germans could've made good use of it but I wonder if it would've been worth the time and resources to do so?
They did it for the Hungarian 35M rifle. I don't see why they wouldn't if they desperately need to free up Kar98k rifles.

My understanding is that the Germans we're hard up for rifles so I'm surprised they didn't convert more foreign service rifles.
In the case of the MAS-36, I think it's due to a couple of factors:

1) the MAS-36 was used by Vichy I believe, so they would have most of the rifle's stockpile. In that case, the Germans probably didn't have enough of them in their own stockpile to justify the conversion. At least, not until the Germans... gain access to the Vichy stockpile, but it's too late by then.
2) the conversion from MAS-36 would've been more complicated than the 35M. The MAS used a rear aperture sight instead of the Mauser's leaf sight in front of the action. You'd need to modify the stock and perhaps part of the action to stick the sights in place. Finally, the bolts are in different places on each rifle, so you'd need to replace the action anyways to match (and making the conversion as close to the standard Kar98k as possible was important to avoid training problems and confusing troops). It's just not worth it.

Something a little different, not an alternate weapon of war but an alternate weapon of fun. A Spyder Hammer 7 pump action paintball marker converted into my alt-MAS 38 SMG.
The forward hand grip would make a nice pump handle. :)

Hzx8nUd.jpg

A lot people take airsoft guns and cut off section to modify paintball guns, always wanted to try this myself and the alt MAS 38 would be a unique paintball gun, would definitely turn some heads but unfortunately no one makes an airsoft MAS 38 and the front grip came from a pic of a Volkgewher-45 and no one makes that.

One question: how do you folks design these alternates? Is there some design software or site used?
I just used the paint tools that came with my computer, I save pics that I like and then just cut and paste. Sometimes I have my friend Claymore scale up a pair of pics for a more realistic picture.

I was working on an alternate french A-7 Corsair, but I've now found out that someone else beat me to it, so here it is: le A-7FN, version pour la marine française!

a_7_corsair_ii___a_la_french___by_alanqua-d2yf2ni.jpg

This could lead to some intersting "what ifs", specially considering the Falkalnds war. It's range is not much greater, but it can carry almost 3 times the payload, including 2 Exocets, as opposed to just one of the Super Etendard...

Another alternate weapon of fun. :)
Below on top is a Cushman Custom Creations plastic FG-42 dress-up kit for the Tippman 98 and BT4 paintball markers and below it is my design for an FG-Lasgun, below that is Lasegun. A few years ago a paintball park in Northern CA did a Warhammer themed scenario game and I briefly thought of attending and purchasing the CCC Fg kit to modify into a Lasegun but unfortunately the company is no longer in business.

5Yan99p.jpg

The FG-42 is my all time fave rifle and now that mag-fed paintball guns are popular, I wish some company would come out with a mag-fed FG-42 paintball gun. I would buy two of them and make one into a Lasegun. :cool:

AirGunship.png

An Air gunship, used before motorized artillery to support army advance with cannon fire
The arrival of fighter airplane and the inevitable motorization of artillery eventually ended their golden age, although they were still used as port interdiction against ennemy ship, until the arrival of Air* and sea carrier ended that career too.

* this

Last edited:

Hapsburg

Banned
(fundamentally based on the SCAR-H, though other real-world and fictional weapons are influences)

The tried-and-true M-150 family of infantry rifles, designed and primarily produced by Hellfocker Arms; action is gas-operated short-stroke piston, rotating bolt, and using an electric firing pin for smoothness of operation. Despite their antique appearance and design, the M-150 battle rifle is a ruggedly reliable weapon, simple to use and train for, made of the most modern materials. Devoid of the gadgetry and integrated computers that marked previous eras of human weaponry, the M-150 is a stripped-down rifle reminiscent of something from early 21st century, despite being made in the late 33rd. It is, however, highly modular; sensors, aimbots, smart scopes, and other attachments can be easily switched in and out, often linked to the user's HUD optics integrated into their helmets. But the weapon works perfectly fine without any bells and whistles, a necessity in harsh environments that make sophisticated electronics entirely useless or unreliable. The Terran Empire's reliance on simple, old-fashioned ballistic weapons is touted as one of many reasons for the human victory in the Great War; the M-150 is a shining example of this, having been adopted by Marine shock units in 3266 and then by the Army in 3273. It was replaced with the ICARUS assault rifle in 3278, but then re-entered service as the main infantry battle rifle in 3290 after combat experience against the Zaaroft in the Magellanic War.
The rifle has many variants, but the primary ones are the original M-150A rifle, the shortened M-150C carbine, the cut-down M-150K paratrooper carbine, and the M991 sniper rifle. The default caliber is 7.92x57mm, though the barrel and receiver is fully modular and can accept a variety of cartridges.

m150 line.png

Kaze

Banned
I could not find a picture, but what of the Fire Wolf? Take a wolf, dog, or fox - train them as an attack dog. Then place said dog into a waistcoat loaded with black powder. Put a torch to their tail and set them loose onto the enemy...

Viola... a combination of a suicide bomber and an attack dog.

I could not find a picture, but what of the Fire Wolf? Take a wolf, dog, or fox - train them as an attack dog. Then place said dog into a waistcoat loaded with black powder. Put a torch to their tail and set them loose onto the enemy...

Viola... a combination of a suicide bomber and an attack dog.
Sounds a lot like the anti-tank dogs that the Russians tried out in WWII, they trained the dogs to eat under tanks with their engines running and then strapped anti-tank mines to their backs and let them loose on the Germans. Unfortunately the Germans used petrol engines in their tanks and the dogs had been trained on Russian tanks that used diesel engines and the dogs ran under Russian tanks not German tanks.

Sounds a lot like the anti-tank dogs that the Russians tried out in WWII, they trained the dogs to eat under tanks with their engines running and then strapped anti-tank mines to their backs and let them loose on the Germans. Unfortunately the Germans used petrol engines in their tanks and the dogs had been trained on Russian tanks that used diesel engines and the dogs ran under Russian tanks not German tanks.
The japanese fixed this problem by replacing the dogs with people

texacor_marine_by_colorcopycenter-dbceugy.png

M11 rifle carbine, firing caseless ammunition via an electric pulse mechanism. Standard noncom/officer's shoulder-arm in the Texacor Battalion, as derived from the TO&E inherited from the Interstellar Commerce Authority's Aerospace Marine Corps. The officer's Mameluke-style sword is nonstandard but common among the hereditary officer class of the Texacor Battalion.

Hapsburg

Banned
Updated lineup of the main mechanized walkers in service in the Central Galactic Union military and state security forces.
Main addition here being the Kodiak, a four-legged artillery platform armed with vertically-launched rockets and a 203mm howitzer.
Mecha.png

legionaar_by_colorcopycenter-dc0n5jg.png

The illustration depicts a Legionaar fusilier of the Kompagnie de Clercq in typical infantry combat dress. The M86 casque-kepi provides advanced kinetic protection to the head and neck, along with an integrated radio comms suite. The M69 ballistic tunic and M70 sapper's apron protect the torso and groin, being completely impervious at all but pointblank ranges to the blackpowder musketry fielded by the nations of Shindai. The Fusil-Automatique M91, of reliable pre-Collapse vintage, offers a devastating volume of accurate and fully automatic firepower to those Legionaar fusiliers skilled enough to earn the right to wield the coveted rifle. Until they earn their kaporal's chevrons, Legionaars must make do with the traditional Geweer long arms of the Bergervolk. The auto-fusil is reloaded from spare magazine pouches slung over the chest and at the waist, while the Sabel bayonet, hand-forged from salvaged ceramsteel, makes the Legionaar the equal of any Kommersant conscript or Djong-Kok levy in the arena of the close quarters melee.

Hapsburg

Banned
The two primary bomber aircraft used by the CGAF. In the Imperial era, a number of different bomber types proliferated, with spiraling development, maintenance, and service costs. The Republic cut that down by reusing the Imperial-era FB-159 Bullshark tactical bomber in the main interdictor/medium bomber role, and developing the large B-198 Great White Shark for strategic bombing. Development swung back towards ballistic missiles over manned and unmanned bomber aircraft. This is due in part to the ascent during the Great War of a new cadre of young commanders, who often had a background in missile defense and orbital operations, such as Air Marshal Nestor T. Gordon. The old-school bomber pilot elite have chafed under this new management.
Bomber Aircraft.png

legionaar_by_colorcopycenter-dc0n5jg.png

The illustration depicts a Legionaar fusilier of the Kompagnie de Clercq in typical infantry combat dress. The M86 casque-kepi provides advanced kinetic protection to the head and neck, along with an integrated radio comms suite. The M69 ballistic tunic and M70 sapper's apron protect the torso and groin, being completely impervious at all but pointblank ranges to the blackpowder musketry fielded by the nations of Shindai. The Fusil-Automatique M91, of reliable pre-Collapse vintage, offers a devastating volume of accurate and fully automatic firepower to those Legionaar fusiliers skilled enough to earn the right to wield the coveted rifle. Until they earn their kaporal's chevrons, Legionaars must make do with the traditional Geweer long arms of the Bergervolk. The auto-fusil is reloaded from spare magazine pouches slung over the chest and at the waist, while the Sabel bayonet, hand-forged from salvaged ceramsteel, makes the Legionaar the equal of any Kommersant conscript or Djong-Kok levy in the arena of the close quarters melee.
That is one interesting mix of various French military outfits and gears, especially the more late 20th century looking rifle.

Oh and welcome back to AH.com, I forgot to mention this earlier!

That is one interesting mix of various French military outfits and gears, especially the more late 20th century looking rifle.

Oh and welcome back to AH.com, I forgot to mention this earlier!
thanks for the kind words. the illustration is for an AH setting that is still in a very early stage of development. There is a futuristic, science fiction base, but some anachronistic visual stylings layered on top of that.