Alternate Weapons of War thread...

Ming777

Monthly Donor
The problem isn't shipbucket itself, but rather people doing exceptionally crude and utterly thoughtless cut and paste jobs with it...

Indeed, take a look at TheMann's creations. They are excellent examples of scratch build (see his Calgary Class Frigate) and modified (ie, the USS Pennsylvania, FS Jean Bart, and his USS Iowa) designs.

Using Shipbucket is like flying a modern day jet fighter. In the hands of the inexperienced it becomes a hazard for the pilot. In the hands of an experienced master, it will do amazing feats of flight.

NothingNow

Banned
Indeed, take a look at TheMann's creations. They are excellent examples of scratch build (see his Calgary Class Frigate) and modified (ie, the USS Pennsylvania, FS Jean Bart, and his USS Iowa) designs.

Using Shipbucket is like flying a modern day jet fighter. In the hands of the inexperienced it becomes a hazard for the pilot. In the hands of an experienced master, it will do amazing feats of flight.
Same with the FD-scale stuff, like what I've been posting.

What do people think of the Gunbucket stuff BTW?

Hendryk

Banned
nope. Gravelines was were the Spanish armada was attacked by Francis drake in 1588.
Oh, right, that little skirmish ;)

Nowadays Gravelines is better known for being the site of the third-largest nuclear power plant in the world. I have relatives in that neck of the wood and once went there. The plant recently made history:

The six-unit Gravelines nuclear power plant near Dunkerque in northern France has become the first nuclear plant in the world to deliver 1000 billion kilowatt-hours (one petawatt-hour) of electricity.

Anyway, fireships. Makes sense. I get the Red Cliff reference.

Thanks for the complement. :D Unfortunately a recent computer hardware failure has left me without my Shipbucket files, so it'll be a while before I can do another one. Sorry. :(

Two new Red Alert items from the Empire of Japan (Rising Sun) first the Naginata Cruiser. Drawn entirely by hand, no Ship Bucket

Naginata CG.PNG

Now the Japanese Tengu Fighter. I've changed it to be just an airplane. Used as a carrier fighter, variable geometry wings like the F-14 and two engines.

Tengu.PNG

Can anybody provide me with a base ship to work on? I'm trying to do a Holy Roman Empire WW2-era Dreadnought for the late stages of my TL, I'm concerned about using the Shipbuckets ships due to copyright issues, and, well, I'm a total noob at drawing military equipment from scratch. Can anybody help?

Last edited:

Sachyriel

Banned
What if there was a weapon that you used on your own troops? You aim and fire a devastating energy weapon; you steal their Alternate Histories, find out their potential, to read in wiki-like format about them for intelligence gathering purposes.

You can find your enemies sickest dreams to torment them, your allies best ideas.

It takes away the ideas of patents, now that anyone can make what was once your specialization all public domain information is available for human-rights uses.

The company that developed it hoped to prevent any misuse of their product by making it as not-weapon looking as they could. They were, tragically, wrong. On a plus side they made it out of an alloy that will last millions of years after humanity gone from its own petty disagreements anyways. The silly design was their best efforts to "disarm" people once they had let the cat out of the bag. It was only a matter of time before someone just had to try and use them in a manner forbidden in the user manual.:rolleyes: That explains the background, as history has unwound itself.:mad: For the third time this week. :(

:p If you don't like it then invent your own Alternate history reader. Mine's kinda apocalyptic, but maybe yours can be more idiot-proof? Mine was a simple point-click-read thing.

althiststealer.png

Ming777

Monthly Donor
As an example of how shipbucket can be done really well, here is the HMCS Victorious form TheMann's TL.

I mostly changed the aircraft and defense systems while
The Mann made the island superstructure, the base hull came from the USS John F Kennedy which was posted in the old forum for shipbucket.

hmcsvictoriousrevised4a.png

Victorious class Aircraft Carrier

Type: Nuclear-Powered Aircraft Carrier
Builders:
- Saint John Shipbuilding, Saint John, New Brunswick
- Allied Shipbuilding Corporation, North Vancouver, British Columbia
Vessels:
HMCS Victorious (CVN 25)
HMCS Magnificent (CVN 26)

Specifications

Displacement:
- 63,155 tons light
- 88,750 tons full load
- 25,595 tons deadweight
Length: 1,052 ft (320.6 m) overall, 990 ft (301.8 m) waterline
Beam: 252 ft (76.8 m) extreme, 130 ft (39.6 m) waterline
Draft: 37 ft (11.3 m) maximum, 39 ft (11.9 m) limit
Height: 175 ft (53.3 m) waterline to top of mast
Flight Deck Size: 4.74 acres (206,500 sq ft)

Propulsion:
- 4 PBMR/AECL 105 MWt pebble-bed type nuclear reactors
- 12 General Motors Model 265TNV turbodiesel backup engines with Western Electric 5 MW AC generators
- 8 Vektris Engineering turbines and 35 MWe AC electric generators
- 16 Western Electric 18,000-horsepower geared electric motors
- 4 shafts
Electric Power Output: 280 MW
Shaft Horsepower: 288,000 hp (216 MW)

Top Speed: 35 knots (65 km/h)
Range: Theoretically unlimited, original reactor fuel load lasts 48 months
Endurance: 60 days of food, self-sufficient in water

Complement: 1,272 officers and enlisted (ship's company), 1,315 officers and enlisted (air wing)
Capacity: 5,075 personnel

Armament
:
- 2 16-cell Mk 41 Vertical Launch Systems (with 64 quad-packed ESSM anti-aircraft missiles)
- 2 Mk 49 Rolling Airframe Missile launchers (with 42 RIM-116 missiles, plus 63 reload missiles)
- 4 Naval Defender twin 35mm CIWS systems (15,000 rounds each system)

Aircraft Carried
: Up to 95
Aircraft Types:
- 2 heavy fighter squadrons (10 aircraft/squadron) CF-184C Supercat
- 2 fighter squadrons (12 aircraft/squadron) CF-185AN Typhoon
- 2 attack squadrons (12 aircraft/squadron) CF-16K Viper
- 1 electronic warfare squadron (3 CC-115NVE Viking Farsight, 6 EA-18G Growler)
- 1 anti-submarine squadron (6 CP-121T Turbo Tracker, 4 CH-148 Cyclone)
- 1 shipboard supply detachment (2 CC-115NV Viking, 2 CH-151 Vulcan)
- 1 search and rescue detachment (4 CH-149 Comorant)

Features:
- Electronic Engineering controls
- Active Phased Array Radars
- Towed Passive Sonar Array
- Electromagnetic catapults
- Fresh Water production plant
- Dry Chemical firefighting equipment
- Centralized climate control plants
- Separate weapons elevators
- High-quality amenities for off-duty sailors including high-definition television and satellite radio
- Double-height magazines and storerooms
- Repositioned island with composite mast and active phased array radars

hmcsvictoriousrevised4a.png

Hapsburg

Banned
See, I wish I could put that much detail on my bucket-derived ships. I'm not all that great with spatial things, like transcribing a 3-D object in my head to a 2D drawing like so.