Alternate warships of nations

In all honesty if Kongo's still in the yard when war breaks out the Japanese have only two choices whether they like it or not. 1. Sell the ship back to Britain in the hope they can get it back after the war at a discount. 2. Send a crew to Britain and attach the ship to the Grand Fleet for the duration. Either way that ship is not leaving British control while there's a war on.

They can send all the lawyers they want, Britain controls the coaling stations between the UK and South China Sea. That ship is going nowhere Britain doesn't want.

"Terribly sorry old boy but we haven't any coal to spare. There's a war on don't you know".

Don't forget, at one point the RN asked Japan to loan them all four Kongo's. This request was refused on the grounds that the taxpayers would be horrified that the ship's they paid for were lent to an ally.

There is a difference between lending operational warships to a navy half way around the world (ally or not) and coming to an agreement about a ship your ally is building for you when that ally is now at war.

Don't forget, at one point the RN asked Japan to loan them all four Kongo's. This request was refused on the grounds that the taxpayers would be horrified that the ship's they paid for were lent to an ally.
While hinting that they would be amenable to discussing deploying their ships to operate with the grandfleet. The British didn't seem interested.

While hinting that they would be amenable to discussing deploying their ships to operate with the grandfleet. The British didn't seem interested.
Hello,

Unfortunately, it appears Chile ended up purchasing this ship twice, once for the initial order and then in 1920 along with 4 destroyers

Hello,

Unfortunately, it appears Chile ended up purchasing this ship twice, once for the initial order and then in 1920 along with 4 destroyers
AIUI The first time the British bought the ship from them, thereby refunding their money (no idea on any markup).

The Royal Navy commissions a replacement for HMS Ocean. Despite all evidence to the contrary Britain strongly denies HMS Theseus has any relationship to the Juan Carlos/Canberra class ships and refuses to pay Spain a licencing fee.

1623881409799.png

Last edited:
There is a difference between lending operational warships to a navy half way around the world (ally or not) and coming to an agreement about a ship your ally is building for you when that ally is now at war.
True, but seizing the ship would anger the Japanese. I'm sure this will have long-term repercussions...

I had always heard Soviet submarines were noisier than their counterparts in western navies. Annoyingly wherever I saw this likely true but of information stated it offered no explanation as to why this was aside from the USSR was terrible and the US of eagles rules and has the best stuff.

Recently however I was watching a sub brief video (an excellent YouTube channel) and he said the Soviets doubled up most things in their subs. Leading to twice the noise and adding great difficulty in isolating components to silence.

This seems logical to me, but is there anyone else who has a similar theory to explain things? Without making it seem that the USSR was hopeless and could not hope to compete with the might and brains of the US because they were commie pigs? I know the Soviets often were playing catch up to the west, but this often seems over blown and doesn't actually explain why.

Western electronics were also about a generation ahead of the Soviets leading to superior sensors. Why were they ahead? I'm guessing but with active competition for consumer electronics there was more money funnelled into R and D and the components developed were then taken up for military applications.

Western electronics were also about a generation ahead of the Soviets leading to superior sensors. Why were they ahead? I'm guessing but with active competition for consumer electronics there was more money funnelled into R and D and the components developed were then taken up for military applications.
That's the explanation I've read, yes, and from what I know of electronics development in the US it tracks. Most of the advances in computing tech were done in university or corporate labs.