Alternate US Weapon development WI: Lee Navy

So as I understand it, the M1895 Lee Navy was developed in response to the US Navy's call for a repeating rifle in the 6mm high velocity cartridge they had developed after seeing the trends and advantages of fast small bore cartridges like 8 mm Label and the 7mm Mauser.

While the design had a mechanical small few issues, such as the floating extractor, and the metford style rifling prone to wear, it otherwise performed well with the marines in the Spanish American war, the Philippines, and the Boxer Rebellion, where the ability to carry in more more ammunition gave them far better staying power than many others. There were some complaints about stopping power in the Phillipines, but given similar complaints didn't occur in the other theaters it saw action in its probably safe to attribute it to racist notions of 'Phillipine savageness'.

Unfortunately, it seems that the cartridge was both a strength and a weakness. The powder formulation proved to be unstable, particularly in marine conditions, and also turned out to be far more corrosive than expected and didn't seem to be able to be dealt with.

So, what alternative developments could have happened to make it not only successful but lead the whole military to adopt it (or an improved version of it)?

The main change that come to mind is for a different bullet. Maybe such a small bullet with the ballistics that the navy wanted wasn't quite feasible yet, so what about a slightly larger and slightly slower cartridge like a 6.5mm (or .25 cal, if they want to be all American about it)? A lot of other countries had plenty of success with a 6.5 x 50ish mm cartridge so i dont see why the US couldn't too.

The other big issue being the rapid wearing of the rifling would be helped by using a more conventional rifling, or perhaps Lee can come to the same solution that the Italians did with a progressive rifling.

The one thing that worries me is the general trend in the period for nations who adopted a 6-6.5mm cartridge to increase size back to something in the 7-8mm range when adopting a new design. Italy and Japan were both adopting new heavier rounds around the late 1930s; effectively one development cycle after they'd adopted 6.5 rounds. Portugal also abandoned 6.5mm around the same time. The advantages of a slightly lighter round seem to have been outweighed by the compromises to get them to fire hotter to get the range that armies were demanding in the first half of the 20th century. The exceptions- Sweden, Norway and Denmark all using the Swedish 6.5mm and Greece with the Mannlicher 6.5mm- were all exceptionally high velocity cartridges for the early smokeless powder era, and small nations with limited budgets to replace a cartridge in service.

On the other hand, the 6.5mm cartridges used in WW2 seem to have performed fine, and lethality doesn't seem to have been a particularly insurmountable problem. The issues were more often related to perceptions and fears of lacking range compared to adversaries, rather than the rounds being totally unsuitable- although the Japanese experience finding that the 6.5mm was specifically a problem in machine guns, which typically operated at longer ranges, is an exception where lack of punch does seem to have been a genuine problem. (The Italians also typically used heavier machine guns; although in their case the terrible design of the Breda 30 probably has more to do with it than the cartridge.)

On the other hand, the 6.5mm cartridges used in WW2 seem to have performed fine, and lethality doesn't seem to have been a particularly insurmountable problem. The issues were more often related to perceptions and fears of lacking range compared to adversaries, rather than the rounds being totally unsuitable- although the Japanese experience finding that the 6.5mm was specifically a problem in machine guns, which typically operated at longer ranges, is an exception where lack of punch does seem to have been a genuine problem.

Well, assuming that the brass can be convinced to get over their long entrenched love of big rounds that they can shoot acurately at 1500 yards or more (which seems to border on ASB from the impression I've been given of them, but lets hand wave it just this once), i think a theoretical smaller cartridge could have pretty decent service length, especially if we allow for a change over from a bottlenose to a spitzer bullet; lets call the original bottlenose 6.5mm Navy, or .255 US when the whole military switches to it after the failure of the krag, and probably keep the same name colloquially when its made into a Spitzer even if its officialy changed to .255-05 or something.

The machine guns could prove to be a problem later on, but it doesn't seem like the US military was all that serious about having good machine guns until 1914, and the Colt M1895 appears to have done fairly well with OTL's 6mm (though it also suffered similar cartridge-caused wear problems as the rifle).

I do wonder though if the smaller cartridge wouldn't be more amenable to the automatic rifles developed at the end of ww1?

Similarly its my understanding that straight pull rifles are pretty amenable to being converted into semi-autos , so the US could play around with that concept for a while in the inter-war period.

The Federov Avtomat was chambered in 6.5×50mmSR Arisaka. It is often touted as the first "Assault Rifle". The US Army has just gone for 6.8mm with the SIG M5. Pursuing this line of enquiry would butterfly the entirety of US small arms development; if not the world's. No M1s, no Sturmgewehrs, no AKs, no M16s/M4s, no FAL, no G3: it is gotten more or less right first time and we arrive in the now 125 years earlier.

it is gotten more or less right first time and we arrive in the now 125 years earlier
Well, as Canuck said, other powers that used a 6.5x50(ish)mm didn't think it was an all purpose cartridge, and ive seen a number firearms people feeling dubious about the recent move away from 5.56x45mm.

The point this dispute basically revolves around is, 'what kind of fighting the military thinks its going to be doing?' Going into world war 1 most nations were thinking about really long range engagements at a thousand meters or more. Europeans were thinking about fighting large formations of men and horses, while Americans were thinking about fighting in its frontiers where not only do they want that range but they highly value marksmanship because out in the west or on some Pacific island resupply is difficult so your shots need to count.

Eventually though, the experiences of ww2 showed that unless you're giving most of the troops optics that kind of range is unnecessary. Everyone also (eventually) figured out that full powered rifle cartridges just weren't controllable enough in shoulder fired automatics, and hence why most troops got an intermediate cartridge and the big ones were kept for machine guns and designated marksmen.

The current switch back to a full sized cartridge (it is 6.8x51mm after all) is because the military wants more penetration and range once again because of the lack luster performance of 5.56x45mm in the rural areas of the middle east and they are willing to equip common soldiers with modern optics since those have become less expensive. They also seem to believe that the 6.8mm will be more controllable in full auto than the 7.62 while still performing the sane roles, so they can eliminate the need for designated marksmen and have the squad automatic weapon using the same cartridge as everyone else in the unit.

How that all applies to the idea of the US adopting a 6.5x50mm-ish cartridge at the end of the 19th / beginning of the 20th century, as I see it, is that the navy and then the army see that they can get the range, penetration, and marksmanship they want out this smaller cartridge and get the bonus of being able to hike more of them in.

Later when the military actually begins to take machine guns seriously the ordinance department will be pushing to focus more on light machine guns using the same cartridge as the troops, and maybe letting the ships and permanent fortifications use heavier machine guns with larger cartridges.

Eventually, as the US develops semi and full auto shoulder fired rifles they might start thinking that maybe 6.5×50-ish mm is just too powerful for full auto and, being ever the conservative body, will keep the 6.5mm (ish) diameter and look at shortening it down to an intermediate cartridge, maybe to something like 6.5x39mm Grendel?

Last edited:
Agreed on the intermediate cartridge; .280 British/7 mm MK1Z/7×43mm used in a delayed blowback (magnetic or roller-delayed) or AR-18esque (Brownells BRN-180 for instance) action on a bullpup platform is what I'd go for. Essentially the EM-2 we adopted as the Rifle, No.9, Mk.1 that was screwed up by Churchill (One man TwenCen Britain could have done without and possibly the only downside to TTL) but wth the action of the StG45(M). We had all this 70 odd years ago and have come full circle. On battle rifles being too powerful for full auto; the FG42 (There are others too) probably falsified that 80 years ago (See Forgotten Weapons on YouTube). That aside, Rifle, No.9, Mk.1 fulfilled basically all that the US Army requrement that has been fulfilled by the SIG M5.

Agreed on the intermediate cartridge; .280 British/7 mm MK1Z/7×43mm used in a delayed blowback (magnetic or roller-delayed) or AR-18esque (Brownells BRN-180 for instance) action on a bullpup platform is what I'd go for. Essentially the EM-2 we adopted as the Rifle, No.9, Mk.1 that was screwed up by Churchill (One man TwenCen Britain could have done without and possibly the only downside to TTL) but wth the action of the StG45(M). We had all this 70 odd years ago and have come full circle. On battle rifles being too powerful for full auto; the FG42 (There are others too) probably falsified that 80 years ago (See Forgotten Weapons on YouTube). That aside, Rifle, No.9, Mk.1 fulfilled basically all that the US Army requrement that has been fulfilled by the SIG M5.
Im not sure anyone but Britain was willing yet to adopt a bullpup configuration. While there are few earlier bullpup designs its still a very new concept that most others don't yet see the need for.

So i could see a scenario where an Alt-NATO does agree to standardize on the 6.5mm, but still cant agree on the rifle they want to use it in. Britain may indeed go with their EM2 design since im sure itd work fine with 6.5mm, the Belgians make their FAL, and America goes with that or with some native design of their own.

Im not sure anyone but Britain was willing yet to adopt a bullpup configuration. While there are few earlier bullpup designs its still a very new concept that most others don't yet see the need for.

So i could see a scenario where an Alt-NATO does agree to standardize on the 6.5mm, but still cant agree on the rifle they want to use it in. Britain may indeed go with their EM2 design since im sure itd work fine with 6.5mm, the Belgians make their FAL, and America goes with that or with some native design of their own.
An alt-Garand would probably emerge as a something in-between a Ruger Mini-14/AC-556 and the M14. Would Stoner get a look-in? He might once HMG sees the Rifle, No.9 is a tad over-complicated (If they have gone with that, and not, say, rolling delayed blowback.) The ARVN would do a lot better with small arms more suitable for thee Vitenamese physique for one one if history otherwise trundles on not very differently than OTL. Jungle wars and APC's might see bullpups being rather more widespread than you think: they can be handy without compromising on barrel length. Would Stoner get a look-in? He might once HMG sees the Rifle, No.9 is a tad over-complicated (If they have gone with that, and not, say, rolling delayed blowback.) The Stoners, Kalashnikovs, kiralys, Lahti's, etc of OTL will probably emerge just as succesfully in TTL.

Jungle wars and APC's might see bullpups being rather more widespread than you think: they can be handy without compromising on barrel length.
Right, i was just thinking that itd take a tad bit longer before other countries would be willing to try out a bullpup, not that theyd never use them. And perhaps with Britain adopting one so early that first generation of bullpups will have speedier development times and nations like the US and USSR will tinker with the concept to shake out all the kinks in their own bullpup designs.

Doing some more research, it does seem like a couple ideas for bullpups poped up in late/post ww2 US and even a few Soviet ideas was floated before they went with what was a better option at that time.

Right, i was just thinking that itd take a tad bit longer before other countries would be willing to try out a bullpup, not that theyd never use them. And perhaps with Britain adopting one so early that first generation of bullpups will have speedier development times and nations like the US and USSR will tinker with the concept to shake out all the kinks in their own bullpup designs.

Doing some more research, it does seem like a couple ideas for bullpups poped up in late/post ww2 US and even a few Soviet ideas was floated before they went with what was a better option at that time.
Idk, bullpups are fine enough for what they are, but they have tradeoffs (like any weapon design) in manual-of-arms procedures that, at least from a U.S. perspective, aren't counteracted by their benefits. And regardless of whether those tradeoffs are worth considering, the whole barrel-length issue I feel is somewhat moot. I'm of the thought that, regardless of the rifle in question, nobody should be firing individual weapons beyond 300m at all*; that's machine gun, grenade launcher, and crew-served weapon/ordnance/vehicle armament/light artillery territory, not shoulder weapon territory in any configuration**. As long as the rifle can be shortened, then its normal overall length isn't critical. That being said, I do like bullpup designs for marksman/sniper rifles where that barrel length is more critical for performance reasons than an infantry fighting rifle.

Regarding the OP I like 6-7mm cartridges as an idea, provided that nobody tries shoehorning them into roles they're not meant for. I've heard the machine gun performance rationale for countries abandoning 6.5mm for heavier .30-cal style rounds, which IMO makes sense but only up to the point where heavy-caliber machine guns can be adopted and widely issued (i.e. mount them on every vehicle down to Jeep-level, assuming a modern mechanized army). Regarding the 6.8x51mm, I think that caliber adoption is a horrible, horrible mistake by the Army. Less ammo, more weight for the ammo, a rifle that's too heavy itself due to being engineered for insane chamber pressures, still-too-much recoil that's only mitigated somewhat by 'smuzzle' attachments (which will invariably be lost or damaged in the field by the soldier), etc.*** A 6.5x39mm-esque round, on the other hand, is a much better idea, since it's still in intermediate-power territory (incidentally ISTR that the Grendel round can be loaded and fed from unmodified AK magazines...make of that what you will).

I think that having the EM-2 and FAL/G3 in a 6.5mm intermediate is also more than doable, which does for British and European/Continental purposes. For the U.S. I could see an M-14 style offshoot of a Garand design getting the nod, if not a Stoner build. My personal druthers, which is no more likely than the aforementioned ones to be clear, is an AR-18 variant since it has many of the same benefits as an AR-15 but is also less sensitive to shorter barrel performance, can handle longer sustained fire rates, can be shortened further than an AR-15 since its stock actually folds (no need for a buffer spring assembly rearwards), and (for SOF) is more optimal for suppressor mounting since it's a short-stroke piston design...that's all with 20/20 hindsight though.

*By which I mean a standard combat rifle, not LMGs or marksman rifles, though in the latter's case I still have doubts since getting that 'one-shot/one-kill' requires the target not taking cover or moving around; sniping is different since the element of surprise/stealth is inherently understood, not so much for a stand-up infantry engagement. I'll also caveat that harassing fire beyond 300m is fine and not a bad idea, long as nobody gets the idea that they're likely to hit anything vice suppressing enemy troops.
**Sure, being effective at that range for the average rifleman is nice, but even with optics at 300+ meters that's like trying to stab a flea with a safety pin, being able to see the enemy you're shooting at doesn't help since they won't just be standing still and open. In other words, not a capability worth the time to address, when a 40mm grenade fusillade or machine gun burst will work well enough.
***"But body armor penetration!"....like the armor we've seen a certain country use in real-life combat lately made of phonebooks? I'm neither impressed nor convinced. IMO that necessity has been Overtaken By Events in terms of relevance. I've given my thoughts on range issues already.

Last edited:
The M1 Garland was originally designed in something like .270, and then upped to .30-06 because that was what the Army already had on hand in spades of WWI surplus. So an M1 to M14 evolution of the design in .270 isn't unlikely.

Speaking of US ideas, I came across an effort by a US sailor a couple of years ago. It isn't on a drive I can access at the mo, but this was a fully functioning battle rifle in .30 and reported as good to fire, controllable, and accurate. The US wouldn't even have the excuse/hurdle of "Not Invented Here" that gets in the way of sensible so often.

On a sidenote; the new US Army AR, the SIG-Sauer M5, doesn't seem to do anything the EM2 and its' round couldn't do 70 years ago. That round was designed to penetrate a steel helmet at a thousand yards as I recall.

Speaking of US ideas, I came across an effort by a US sailor a couple of years ago. It isn't on a drive I can access at the mo, but this was a fully functioning battle rifle in .30 and reported as good to fire, controllable, and accurate. The US wouldn't even have the excuse/hurdle of "Not Invented Here" that gets in the way of sensible so often.
You're not thinking of the Sieg Automatic Rifle by any chance, are you?

You're not thinking of the Sieg Automatic Rifle by any chance, are you?
Huh, thats an interesting bullpup. Looks like a short stroke gast piston with a rotating bolt?
sieg8.jpg

Screenshot_20220530-115706_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Speaking of automatic rifles, would Browning's model 8 action have performed better than the french chauchat? Like, assuming a model 81 set up but with a semi/full auto selector switch and a solid bipod. I