Anne, Duchess of Brittany was determined to preserve Brittany’s separation from France. In various unsuccessful attempts to save the autonomy of her Duchy, she married herself to Maximilian of Austria to try and ward off the advances of Charles VIII of France, stipulated in her marriage contract to Louis XII of France that their second child would be her heir, and vehemently opposed Louis’s wish to have their eldest daughter Claude betrothed to his heir presumptive, Francis of Angoulême. Louis, however, ensured that Claude would succeed to the Duchy and marry Francis following Anne’s death, rendering her life work of preserving Brittany’s autonomy moot.

Now, let’s say that Louis XII dies at some point in the first decade of the 16th century. This leaves Francis as the King of France at a much younger age (and potentially with a regency, depending on when exactly Louis dies), while Anne of Brittany is left alive and able to control the Breton succession. It goes without saying that ITTL, Anne’s strong desire to ensure the autonomy of Brittany means that there is no possibility Francis and Claude will be married to each other. Which begs the question: since they aren’t going to marry each other, who would their spouses be?

AIUI, Anne had Claude betrothed to Charles of Ghent (future Charles V) at some point during their early childhood, although the match was eventually broken off because of Louis’s desire for Claude to marry Francis. Is it possible that ITTL, the betrothal will stick and Charles and Claude will marry? And if not, then what are some other suitable matches for Claude?

Similarly, who would Francis marry? I’m not sure if he was betrothed to anyone else before Claude because I haven’t been able to track anything down, so I would appreciate insight into this. And if he wasn’t, then who are women that would be considered for marriage to Francis?

For Francis, Mary Tudor the Elder and Eleanor of Austria are the first women who come to my mind.
For Claude, Charles of Ghent will probably be Anne's choice. Or maybe Henry VIII if his betrothal to Catherine of Aragon is broken, or a surviving Miguel da Paz, depending of when the POD happens.

For Francis, Mary Tudor the Elder and Eleanor of Austria are the first women who come to my mind.
For Claude, Charles of Ghent will probably be Anne's choice. Or maybe Henry VIII if his betrothal to Catherine of Aragon is broken, or a surviving Miguel da Paz, depending of when the POD happens.
Eleonore of Austria ending up as Francis’s first wife rather than second would be pretty interesting.. if that match happened, I wonder if they would be better disposed to each other since the circumstances of the marriage would be different and less forced. And a Francis-Mary match is always very interesting. After doing more research into eligible matches, I also think a Navarrese match for Francis could maybe be interesting, but I’m unsure of how plausible that would be since Ferdinand of Aragon seemed determined to make sure the Navarrese princesses remained unmarried; if its able to happen, though, maybe Anne of Navarre or a surviving Magdalena of Navarre.

I have to admit that a Claude-Henry VIII match seems very interesting to me, but I think Claude is too young for Henry, given that Henry didn’t marry Eleonore of Austria because she was too young and she was older than Claude. Though maybe ITTL, a match between Henry and Marguerite d’Angoulême could happen? As the only sister of a King, I think Marguerite’s value on the marriage market would increase dramatically, and she and Henry were less than a year apart in age. Maybe if Arthur Tudor lives another one or two years, long enough that his marriage to Catherine is undoubtedly consummated, and once Arthur and Louis are both dead then the Henry and Marguerite match happens.

Anyways, back to Claude: I agree that a Charles and Claude match would be favorable, by Anne and probably Maximilian of Austria, too. A surviving Miguel da Paz and Claude could also be interesting.

Also, this is something that I just thought about: is it possible that Anne of Brittany will marry for a fourth time to further secure the Breton succession? Since Renée of France was born in late 1510, ITTL Claude will be Anne’s only surviving child from Louis unless you change one of their stillborn/short-lived sons between 1499 and 1510 into a surviving daughter.

Also, this is something that I just thought about: is it possible that Anne of Brittany will marry for a fourth time to further secure the Breton succession? Since Renée of France was born in late 1510, ITTL Claude will be Anne’s only surviving child from Louis unless you change one of their stillborn/short-lived sons between 1499 and 1510 into a surviving daughter.
Okay, great. What do you think of the possibility of Anne of Brittany remarrying again to secure the Breton succession? Because as it stands, Claude would be her only surviving child TTL.
If Louis dies in the early 1500s, I think it's very likely Anne will marry again. Maybe to her cousin Jacques de Rohan (born around 1478). He had no children by either of his OTL wives so he may have been infertile but Anne can't know that of course.

EDIT: actually it seems historians don't even agree about Jacques's wife/wives. According to some, he married firstly his distant cousin Françoise de Rohan-Guéméné. Others seem to ignore this marriage. Anyway his (possible) second wife Françoise de Daillon du Lude bore him no children. She didn't have any with her second husband either, so maybe she could have been the infertile one.

Of course, if Anne has one or more son(s) by her second husband, Claude's less likely to marry a royal heir.

Last edited:
Similarly, who would Francis marry? I’m not sure if he was betrothed to anyone else before Claude because I haven’t been able to track anything down, so I would appreciate insight into this.
Anne d'Albret, eldest daughter of the queen of Navarre, was engaged to François until her brother was born. Then François was single until Louis XII decided on the marriage between Claude-François.

Claude was betrothed to Karl at Lyon 12 Aug 1501, contract terminated at Tours 1506) while her contract with François was at Château de Montils-lès-Tours 22 May 1507, Château de Saint Germain-en-Laye 18 May 1514.

If Louis dies in the early 1500s, I think it's very likely Anne will marry again. Maybe to her cousin Jacques de Rohan (born around 1478). He had no children by either of his OTL wives so he may have been infertile but Anne can't know that of course.

EDIT: actually it seems historians don't even agree about Jacques's wife/wives. According to some, he married firstly his distant cousin Françoise de Rohan-Guéméné. Others seem to ignore this marriage. Anyway his (possible) second wife Françoise de Daillon du Lude bore him no children. She didn't have any with her second husband either, so maybe she could have been the infertile one.

Of course, if Anne has one or more son(s) by her second husband, Claude's less likely to marry a royal heir.
Oh, thank you for this! I think that would be a good match for Anne. How about instead of having a son she has another daughter, maybe around 1506/1507? I think she would feel more secure that way.

Anne d'Albret, eldest daughter of the queen of Navarre, was engaged to François until her brother was born. Then François was single until Louis XII decided on the marriage between Claude-François.

Claude was betrothed to Karl at Lyon 12 Aug 1501, contract terminated at Tours 1506) while her contract with François was at Château de Montils-lès-Tours 22 May 1507, Château de Saint Germain-en-Laye 18 May 1514.
Thank you! I wasn’t sure if Francis had any betrothals because I wasn’t able to find information about any, so I appreciate this. I think a match between Francis and Anne d’Albret could be interesting; I don’t know much about her other than her health issues and the fact that she was seen as a capable regent for her brother, though.

Anne d'Albret, eldest daughter of the queen of Navarre, was engaged to François until her brother was born
She was also a hunchbacked dwarf if I recall correctly. This was supposedly to ensure he'd die childless (like Louis XII/Jeanne)
Interesting... Very interesting. So there’s a possibility it could happen TTL?
Could, sure. If he was Duke of York and she was a junior princess of the blood, or if she's sister to the king and he's Prince of Wales.
For Claude, Charles of Ghent will probably be Anne's choice.
Charles of Ghent would inherit quite a large empire which Brittany would be subsumed into if they married...

Oh, thank you for this! I think that would be a good match for Anne. How about instead of having a son she has another daughter, maybe around 1506/1507? I think she would feel more secure that way.

Thank you! I wasn’t sure if Francis had any betrothals because I wasn’t able to find information about any, so I appreciate this. I think a match between Francis and Anne d’Albret could be interesting; I don’t know much about her other than her health issues and the fact that she was seen as a capable regent for her brother, though.
The engagement with Anne d’Albret was a trap for Francis as Louis was reserving to him the same courtesy who his first father-in-law had reserved to him for the same reasons

She was also a hunchbacked dwarf if I recall correctly. This was supposedly to ensure he'd die childless (like Louis XII/Jeanne)
True
Could, sure. If he was Duke of York and she was a junior princess of the blood, or if she's sister to the king and he's Prince of Wales.
agreed
Charles of Ghent would inherit quite a large empire which Brittany would be subsumed into if they married...
Charles was Anne’s choice and a clause in the wedding contract in which Brittany was to be inherited separately from Charles‘ other lands would be enough for guaranteeing its independence

The engagement with Anne d’Albret was a trap for Francis as Louis was reserving to him the same courtesy who his first father-in-law had reserved to him for the same reasons
Anne d'Albret is similar in constitution to Claude, another possible spouse of Francis I are the elder daughters of Anne of Brittany from her first marriage.