Alternate Migrations general discussion

Well, to the Huns’ advantage, the Theodosian Walls surrounding the city had been greatly damaged by an earthquake in 447...
Fair, but they were still some of the most impressive fortifications in the entire world at the time. A hunnic sack of Constantinople i guess is possible then, but the issue is that what happens after that is kind of like asking what happens if demons from hell emerge from the streets of london and start eating people. It's a situation that folks at the time would have considered so completely ludicrus that if it happened it would change basically everything. The only thing I can think of is that at least for a time there'd be a lot of Persian.

If Attila is at the point where a sack of Constantinople could even be seriously contemplated, the ERE would pay him off with all the gold they physically can before that happens.

A while back I made a EU4 mod similar to tales of rice and salt where I had Inuit people settling Iceland, Norway and Scotland. People from Tunisia setting up colonies in Sicily and Italy. Ibadis from Algeria settling France. Uzbeks settling the Pannonian basin. Finally I had the Tatars replace Muscovy to form Russia.

Do you think it could have been possible for them to have vassalized the Franks and taken over Gaul?
You'd need a POD before the Frank confederation formed. And the result would have been slightly different tribal raiders with different names recorded by the Romans - possibly a mix of Franci, Frisii, and Euthiones ("Jutes").
Probably little difference to Gaul though the absence of Saxons moving east would change northern Germany. This may deflect some of the Angle movements or allow the Geats and "other" Danes to move south there more easily.

WI: "Romanians" as descendants of paleo-Balkanic speakers? What if language of ATL Romanians is similar to Albanian (so it is either Illyrian, Thracian or Dacian)? I think in such case theory of Illyrian origin of Albanians would not be that popular (not that it would not exist) because of presence of northern "Albanic" language north of Danube. IMHO in such case Dacian theory would be equally strong.

WI: "Romanians" as descendants of paleo-Balkanic speakers? What if language of ATL Romanians is similar to Albanian (so it is either Illyrian, Thracian or Dacian)? I think in such case theory of Illyrian origin of Albanians would not be that popular (not that it would not exist) because of presence of northern "Albanic" language north of Danube. IMHO in such case Dacian theory would be equally strong.
That's what I'm thinking as well quite recently.

What about the Evenk or Yeniseians or Siberians migrated into Central Asia in around 3rd to 4th Century that pulled a Huns and rampage the declining Roman Empire? Would it be possible for my idea to be put up?

Deleted member 160141

Proto-Samoyedic migration into India, Proto-Chukchi migration into China, Proto-Kartvelian migration into Iran/Anatolia.
I call this timeline Empires of the Unspeakables, for obvious reasons. Unfortunately, nobody's written it yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
An interesting one to think about: what if the Mongols continued their invasion of Europe? The Mongol invasion of Hungary was so devastating that roughly 40% of the population died and the Kingdom’s demographics changed forever.
A Mongol invasion of Germany wouldve been even more devastating at more concentrated areas. With more castles and fortified cities to attack, this meant more death from masacres. Farming regions like the Bavarian plain and the Rhine plain wouldve been devastated even worse from the mass transition of farmland to pasture land for the Mongol armies.
The real question would be the effect of the massive migration of refugees escaping the conflict either by moving across the Alps or across the Rhine. Would more of Eastern France or North Italy become German as a result of this invasion?

"Back migration" from the New World would be interesting. Reindeer herding arose separately in both Scandinavia and Siberia, so what if the Athabaskans innovated it as well, say around the 1st century AD (the POD for my TL)? While I don't think you get my TL as a result, this innovation could cause the displacement of the Inuit from the Seward Peninsula and eventual migration into Siberia. If they get there early enough and are lucky enough then they could take most of the Chukotka for themselves (IIRC the Chukchi originated further south in Kamchatka). Obviously in the New World they'd migrate south as OTL so we'd have a similar (or likely greater, thanks to their reindeer herding) distribution of Athabaskans as OTL but with an additional group of Siberians.
2. Arab settlement in Madagascar
This happened to a degree, they were just absorbed into the Malagasy and especially the Sakalava people.
What about the Evenk or Yeniseians or Siberians migrated into Central Asia in around 3rd to 4th Century that pulled a Huns and rampage the declining Roman Empire? Would it be possible for my idea to be put up?
Some theories hold there was a Yeniseian component in the Huns who ravaged Europe. It does seem plausible IMO for a Yeniseian group to advance into Europe (whether they survive a few centuries or are quickly absorbed by another group is a different matter).

The Evenks were too far away (they didn't spread northward into Siberia until later centuries) and Siberians is pretty vague. Which Siberian group, because from the Magyars to the Turks plenty of them did attack Europe.

There's evidence the small population that became Vlachs settled with Albanians in that area around the same time. So perhaps had things gone differently the area would’ve been a vlach Latinate country
"Back migration" from the New World would be interesting. Reindeer herding arose separately in both Scandinavia and Siberia, so what if the Athabaskans innovated it as well, say around the 1st century AD (the POD for my TL)? While I don't think you get my TL as a result, this innovation could cause the displacement of the Inuit from the Seward Peninsula and eventual migration into Siberia. If they get there early enough and are lucky enough then they could take most of the Chukotka for themselves (IIRC the Chukchi originated further south in Kamchatka). Obviously in the New World they'd migrate south as OTL so we'd have a similar (or likely greater, thanks to their reindeer herding) distribution of Athabaskans as OTL but with an additional group of Siberians.

This happened to a degree, they were just absorbed into the Malagasy and especially the Sakalava people.

Some theories hold there was a Yeniseian component in the Huns who ravaged Europe. It does seem plausible IMO for a Yeniseian group to advance into Europe (whether they survive a few centuries or are quickly absorbed by another group is a different matter).

The Evenks were too far away (they didn't spread northward into Siberia until later centuries) and Siberians is pretty vague. Which Siberian group, because from the Magyars to the Turks plenty of them did attack Europe.

Any linguistic evidence of Yeniseian presence in Western Asia? Were there Some that were nomads. I thought they were hunter gatherers

An interesting one to think about: what if the Mongols continued their invasion of Europe? The Mongol invasion of Hungary was so devastating that roughly 40% of the population died and the Kingdom’s demographics changed forever.
A Mongol invasion of Germany wouldve been even more devastating at more concentrated areas. With more castles and fortified cities to attack, this meant more death from masacres. Farming regions like the Bavarian plain and the Rhine plain wouldve been devastated even worse from the mass transition of farmland to pasture land for the Mongol armies.
The real question would be the effect of the massive migration of refugees escaping the conflict either by moving across the Alps or across the Rhine. Would more of Eastern France or North Italy become German as a result of this invasion?
The mongol were not there for conquest but to raid what you could have is maybe the HRE could evolve like russia were the new khan probably set in hungary would chose or validate the holy roman emperor