Alternate Electoral Maps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something a bit different (insofar as it's not technically a map) - the presidential election from the season 2 finale of Battlestar Galactica.

SPOILERS.

For those of you who haven't seen the show (and aren't looking to, since you've brazenly ignored the spoiler warning), the basic premise is this: Humans created a robot race called the Cylons (a somewhat contrived acronym for CYbernetic LifefOrm Node) to serve them, and were apparently completely unaware of all existing sci-fi tropes regarding this, because the Cylons then immediately rose up in revolt against their masters - first in a decades-long war that ended with the Cylons forced out of human space, then in a surprise attack some forty years after the war that managed to wipe out most of the human race. The only surviving citizens of the Twelve Colonies, the dominant human state (possibly the only one - we never see or hear of any others, at any rate) are in those spaceships that managed to flee at the time of the attack and join together in a ragtag fleet under the protection of the titular Galactica, an ageing warship that was about to be decommissioned when the Cylons struck, only to avoid their onslaught due to their outdated electrical systems (which apparently make their computers immune to hacking). They set out to find the fabled long-lost home of mankind, a world spoken of only in ancient religious scrolls: a place called Earth.

One of the survivors of the attack is Laura Roslin, the Secretary of Education, who becomes President of the Colonies (who apparently function under a pseudo-American form of government) when all outranking officials are presumed killed in the attack. The military reluctantly agree to follow her lead in the name of democratic legitimacy, and a civilian government is set up on the passenger liner she was on (rechristened Colonial One). A power struggle breaks out between Roslin and Tom Zarek, a former terrorist turned populist politician and member of the Quorum of Twelve (an advisory body consisting of one representative from each of the Twelve Colonies), which leads to the former being forced to put her office up for election at the end of the scheduled term.

Zarek ultimately opts out of running for President, leaving the task of opposing Roslin to her vice-president (a position that seems far less "active political figure" and more "designated successor" than its modern American counterpart), the famous but somewhat politically inexperienced computer scientist and former traitor Dr. Gaius Baltar. Baltar is absent-minded, scruffy and self-serving, making him a dead fish in the largely personality-driven race - until the fleet stumbles on a habitable planet. Zarek (who runs Baltar's campaign behind the scenes) decides that this could be a useful wedge issue, and Baltar comes out with a plan to abort the search for Earth and settle on the new planet, which he dubs New Caprica after the capital world of the Twelve Colonies. Roslin sticks to the plan of finding Earth, supported by what remains of the religious establishment as well as the military, and is privately concerned over rumours that Baltar was the one who betrayed Colonial defences to the Cylons (as indeed he did, though if it makes it better, he does feel remorse over it and only did it because of the poontang anyway).

Baltar gains a lead in the polls, bolstered by what's seen as negative campaigning from Roslin's camp, until election day, when a last-minute result from the Zephyr (one of the larger ships in the fleet) carries the election for Roslin. It later emerges, however, that the Zephyr ballots were rigged, and that the actual ballots would probably show a lead for Baltar - in fear of Baltar's supposed collaboration, Roslin's aide colluded with the second-in-command of the Galactica to steal the election. Roslin chooses to stand down in Baltar's favour rather than allow an inquiry, and Baltar becomes the new President. He immediately orders settlement on New Caprica - a decision he will soon come to regret.

BSG-el.png

The results by ship are never discussed in dialogue, but they do appear on a chalkboard on the Galactica during election night - someone on the eminent Battlestar Wiki had come across a large photograph of the board and uploaded it, for which I am eternally grateful. The results are merely a background prop, but do reveal some remarkable attention to detail by the producers of the show, for instance:
- With the probable exception of the Zephyr, larger ships tended to break for Roslin, and smaller ones for Baltar. This makes perfect sense - after all, people on smaller and less defensible ships would have more to fear from a Cylon attack, so it's only logical that they'd be more susceptible to promises to settle down and stop huddling together on the fleet.
- One of Baltar's biggest strongholds is the Astral Queen - this is the former prison ship that serves as Zarek's base of operations and main political support structure. Obviously they were going to vote for whomever Zarek told them to.
- On the flipside, Roslin's biggest stronghold by far (even outstripping Colonial One itself) is the Gemenon Traveller. Why is this clever? Well, the Gemenons are described as a deeply religious people who believe in the literal truth of the scriptures. Roslin's campaign was based on the search for Earth, which is the subject of a prophecy in said scriptures, and she had the backing of religious leaders in addition to being a revered figure herself (some even referred to her as "the Prophet Laura").
- Somewhat surprisingly, the Pegasus (the other surviving warship besides Galactica) went narrowly for Baltar. This can perhaps be explained by the fact that the Pegasus had only very recently joined the fleet, and were unused to the presence of civilian leaders - why they'd vote for someone who basically pledged their abolition is beyond my powers of reasoning though.

Oh, and "ACH" stands for "After Cylon Holocaust". It's obviously a fan-created epoch rather than an in-universe one, but it's the best we have.

Last edited:
Something a bit different (insofar as it's not technically a map) - the presidential election from the season 2 finale of Battlestar Galactica.

Really great job. It's good to see something that really stands out from all the presidential maps and the little silhouettes of Galactica and Pegasus are an especially nice touch. Excellent writeup/recap, too.

It's also pretty cool to see the BSG writers put that much thought into the voting patterns of the fleet.

Really great job. It's good to see something that really stands out from all the presidential maps and the little silhouettes of Galactica and Pegasus are an especially nice touch. Excellent writeup/recap, too.

It's a bit of a shame I couldn't get outlines for the civilian ships (well, I could the prominent ones, but that'd just look weird).

It's also pretty cool to see the BSG writers put that much thought into the voting patterns of the fleet.

They are a bit too American in their thought structures though - I don't think the candidates are more than five percentage points apart at any point, which makes no sense for a system without parties where one of the candidates is described as utterly steamrolling the other.

Asami

Banned
(They're too big to post on the thread.)

United States presidential election, 1960
Richard Nixon / Styles Bridges (Republican) - 273 electoral votes, 34,301,229 votes, 50.1% PV
Wayne Morse / George Smathers (Democratic) - 250 electoral votes, 33,412,950 votes, 48.9% PV
Harry Byrd (faithless electors) - 15 electoral votes

United States presidential election, 1964
Richard Nixon / Styles Bridges (Republican) - 273 electoral votes, 35,135,980 votes, 49.7% PV
Pat Brown / John Reynolds (Democratic) - 216 electoral votes, 33,412,381 votes, 47.3% PV
Harland Sanders / George Wallace (Independent) - 49 electoral votes, 2,119,179 votes, 3% PV*

* Sanders/Wallace managed to get 5 states in the EC despite only 2million votes due a number of factors pertaining to the South; namely the complete exclusion of Pat Brown's ticket from the ballot, and a pretty serious amount of vote rigging, according to historical sources (Associated Press, 1986)

United States presidential election, 1968**

Robert F. Kennedy / John Reynolds (Democratic) - 222 electoral votes, 30,769,732 votes, 42.03% PV
Richard Nixon / Styles Bridges (Republican) - 216 electoral votes, 30,794,799 votes, 42.06% PV
Happy Chandler / Paul W. Bryant (Independent) - 100 electoral votes, 11,708,400 votes, 15.99% PV

** This election saw a hung Electoral College, which lead to the first time since 1801 that the United States had a President and Vice President from different parties. This was because the Senate, who picks the Vice President, was majority Democratic; while the House of Representatives, whom picks the President, was majority Republican. No compromise was reached, so Nixon and Reynolds set aside their party problems, and agreed to work together for the next four years.​

I have more -- 1972, 1976, 1980 and 1984 thus far. As well as the 1984 HoR elections. It's all part of a little Wikibox series I've been doing. It's an interesting exercise. I've got to go back and do some post-haste revisions, namely the third-party popular votes in the 1960s, but that'll be for later when I have time. :p

And no, the 22nd Amendment doesn't exist. But Presidents very rarely get a chance to do it. In this series, so far no President has bothered with a third term other than Richard Nixon. I'm currently in President Jerry Brown's 2nd term, I'm not sure if he'll try and run in 1988 or not, but you know, I'm thinking about it.

Last edited:
Nice scenario! Three terms of Nixonmania? Interesting. THat being said, the map linked for 1964 is 1960's. :eek:

Asami

Banned
Nice scenario! Three terms of Nixonmania? Interesting. THat being said, the map linked for 1964 is 1960's. :eek:

And yeah. I'm doing it on the Alt. Wikipedia Infoboxes thread, but yeah; three terms of Nixonmania, and he leaves office clean too -- nothing hanging over his head. He's cherished and remembered as one of the most sensible Presidents. :p

It's a bit of a shame I couldn't get outlines for the civilian ships (well, I could the prominent ones, but that'd just look weird).

They are a bit too American in their thought structures though - I don't think the candidates are more than five percentage points apart at any point, which makes no sense for a system without parties where one of the candidates is described as utterly steamrolling the other.
If it was all decided by a single ship's vote, it can't be much of a steamrolling.

After days of work, I've finally calculated Franklin D. Roosevelt (1936) v. Ronald Reagan (1984). Time to see two beloved presidents clash!:D

MEN9sjL.png

Franklin D. Roosevelt (D-NY), 383 EVs
Ronald Reagan (R-CA), 155 EVs

Given I've produced some monstrous boundary reviews, I figured I'd try and conjure up the most hideous butchering of Grunty Fen imaginable. Happy nightmares. ;)

Peterborough North
Peterborough South
Huntingdon
Ely
South Cambridgeshire
Cambridge North
Cambridge South

Cambs Mindfuck.png

shiftygiant

Gone Fishin'
Mock up of the 2013 Election Map of my current Timeline.

20116.png

Some info is slightly outdated (DUP and UUP should be the DUUP, for example, and the seats numbers at the top aren't exactly final) but it's the general idea) and the constituencies are roughly what they are ITTL.

And than you thande for the basemap.

20116.png

Mock up of the 2013 Election Map of my current Timeline.

Some info is slightly outdated (DUP and UUP should be the DUUP, for example, and the seats numbers at the top aren't exactly final) but it's the general idea) and the constituencies are roughly what they are ITTL.

And than you thande for the basemap.

Green Sheffield. :eek:

What's the other in Berwick? Or is that a Surprise?

Status
Not open for further replies.