Alternate Electoral Maps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thande

Donor
Third Party UK: Or How I learned to start worrying and hate the KIP-slide
View attachment 308404

2015 UK General Election if the candidate with the third most votes won the seat.

UKIP: 366
Conservative: 110
Labour: 102
Liberal Democrats: 38
Green: 19
Alliance: 5
SDLP: 5
Plaid Cymru: 3
Sinn Féin: 3
DUP: 2
UUP: 2
BNP: 1
You may not be aware that we have a thread dedicated to this kind of scenario: https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...decapitation-a-new-kind-of-asb-thread.152291/

After a discussion in a FH TL, I did some number crunching and came up with this.

genusmap.php

Donald Trump / Mike Pence - 44.94% - 285
Bernie Sanders / Kirsten Gillibrand - 44.03% -253
Michael Bloomberg / Evan McMullin - 7.50%

I was thinking of maybe a Joe Biden one, but I see that as a bare 273 majority, maybe.

After a discussion in a FH TL, I did some number crunching and came up with this.

genusmap.php

I was thinking of maybe a Joe Biden one, but I see that as a bare 273 majority, maybe.
Yeah, I'm not seeing Bloomburg/McMullin pulling in even 3%.

genusmap.php

I'm sure Trump would prefer this universe just so he could have said he won the popular vote.

Win the White House is very fun.

In different universes...

hJeKjoX.png

Ilya Kirpeach (North Dakota)/Laura Martin (Maryland): 341 EV 63.38%
Lora Carr (Delaware)/Daniel Parker (South Carolina): 197 EV 36.62%

JgJYAmE.png

Sierra Liddell (Wyoming)/Valerie Harris (Minnesota): 380 EV 70.63%
Samantha Rose (Florida)/Justin Flores (New Mexico): 158 EV 29.37%

And the last one:

tKRYu1t.png

Sylvere Michaud (Louisiana)/Kevin Lee (Colorado): 315 EV 58.55%
Patricia Fuller (Wisconsin)/Gabe Nelson (California): 223 EV 41.45%

Camelot! It's Only A Model: 1976

President Church became President at a difficult time. While he was able to make good progress with regard to the Middle East peace process and wanted to try and improve living standards, the economy was weakening badly and the overthrow of the Shah of Iran and subsequent alarm at the country's slide into authoritarianism and the capture of American hostages undermined confidence in America's foreign policy credentials.
Furthermore, he had significant opposition in Congress itself, with Georgia Representative Larry McDonald building up enough steam to become Speaker of the House in 1979* and, ironically, attempt to steamroller various aspects of Church's policy agenda.

Desperately seeking a way of recapturing the optimism and confidence of the American people, Church gave a heavily publicized speech in Boise where he declared, 'Times are hard, and people are disillusioned with what they see in the headlines all the time, and to them I say: we can fix America. It is in adverse times that we declare, we shall not give in to tyranny and poverty, but use every facet of power in our great country to ignite hope once again.' Unfortunately, his lack of specific ideas behind the rhetoric led the speech to be labelled 'I can't fix America' by his opponents.

As a result of what they perceived as utter mismanagement of the economy and incompetence on the international stage, the Republicans were eager to find a nominee to appear the opposite of this perception. In February 1980, news broke that sealed that position in the pocket of one politician, when South Dakota Senator Larry Pressler, who had been running a somewhat muted campaign for President, gained national attention for refusing to accept a fraudulent Arabian company's offer of a bribe for a legislative favour. He had not known the significance at the time, but actively played up his perceived heroism and captured the support of rank and file voters as a true patriot. After sweeping the primaries, Pressler picked Tennessee Senator and House Minority Leader Howard Baker for his running mate, seeking to give the ticket a bipartisan appeal and garner support in the Republican drought of the South just as Church had done for the Democrats in the Republican-dominated Mountain and Plains states four years prior.

genusmap.php

Pressler/Baker (Republican): 464 EVs, 56.8%
Church/Bumpers (Democratic): 74 EVs, 42.0%

Pressler, predictably, won a landslide, being seen by voters as a far more optimistic choice than the worn-down Church. Further down the ticket, interestingly, the Republicans did not do as well as they might have- they only won a Senate majority 51-49, and only slightly improved their performance in the House. However, Pressler's agenda had more support than it seemed; a statement by the 'Gypsy Moth Democrats', a label used by Northern and Western members of the party who supported President-Elect Pressler's policy agenda over that of McDonald, indicated that a bloody battle was to be waged not between Republicans and Democrats, but between liberals and conservatives, and the battle lines were still vague.

*Insert joke about Gonzo's wet dream here. :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.