Alternate Cars' registration plates thread

I'm not as mad as you think but...
Free City of Danzig/Gdańsk registration plate (year 2007)

WMG_plates.png

The plausibility problem is that the small size of Danzig should translate into a rather short plate code. Just as in Luxemburg.

The plausibility problem is that the small size of Danzig should translate into a rather short plate code. Just as in Luxemburg.

I was thinking about that, when Danzig/Gdańsk was infact Free City, the cars code was DZ, Polish was only additional non-official language in "Amber Republic" for polish and kashubian spiking inhabitants using in governmental correspondence sending to them.
This plate is also form a Free City of Danzig/Gdańsk, non EU part, but whenever what had happened probably in 2007 Free City would be bilingual area.

So the short of German "Frei Stat Danzig" would be FSD, Polish "Wolne Miasto Gdańsk" WMG, Danzig DZ and Gdańsk GD. I was considerings two shorts for this plate GD and DG, as both letters form beginning of both names appear. Having no idea what would be more justify (alphabetic order or not) I chose random, so it is GD.

My very unimaginative attempt for an alternate car plate.

Note: This is the worst anachronism I could make.

IOTL, district-level car plate numerology was introduced in 1956 in FRG which expected a soon unification of Germany at least in its 1937 borders and therefore reserved codes for the eastern lands.

The basic design is also OTL, but came into disuse after the introduction of Euro car plates with falsification-hindering script from the mid-1990s on. In the old design as shown here, the lower picture was a roundel with the district's coat of arms, while the design with the roundel and the state's (or in this case province's) coat of arms was first used in the new design.

This is therefore a bastard design combining the very look of the old Bonn Republic with the current coat of arms customs on a region which effectively ceased to be German after World War II.

This plate is to belong to a driver from a suburb of Königsberg/Prussia, OTL modern Kaliningrad. Next official checkup for the car is scheduled for December 1979.

carplate.png

Wow! I knew that the plates for the east were reseved, but that this went that far east.... wouldn´t a suburb have 4 numbers?

Very good plates! Especially the old one is great.
The suffolk letters/numbers couild be a llittle bit more less predictable.

@ Alayta

That's a difficult story. There are plenty of district twins consisting of a proper urban district and a rural district surrounding the former, both sharing the same district code. That's of course nothing new to you, but as I used to live in two such "holes in the donut" and for a short time even in the donut itself, I'm more confronted to the subject.

Your four-digit objection can be explained easily. Combinations with two letters and four digits first come into use when the old space up to two letters and three digits is going to deplete. As I know from "my" district twins, the rural district usually gets the room with two letters and three digits. The urban district gets the rest, meaning everything with only one letter and up to four digits and everything with up to two digits. If the city is to big and the donut is to slim, it may also be the other way, but generally it's been like I said.

Current situation is ambiguous. As I said, the old limited space is more or less depleted which leads to interesting arrangements how to divide the XX-0000 room between the various twin pairs. Normaly both sides get an equal share nowadays. On the other hand, the rural districts are lucky that the new falsification-hindering scripts allows for registering letters that used to be to ambiguous to have them registered with the old DIN script.
Many twin pairs have e.g. arranged that single B, F and G letters are to be exclusively used by the rural districts when in combination with four digits. So R-B 2237 might well belong to a suburban dweller of Regensburg rural district.

True, Königsberg, before and after the ware, usually had about 400,000 inhabitants, that's what I didn't remind. But I think that Königsberg would still have a sizable suburbia in this scenario like any city. And I tend to think that the Rhine-Neckar district (which carries HD for Heidelberg) is more populated than Mannheim and Heidelberg combined. So I think that the plate is OK for a Königsberger sururbian as well.

When IOTL the Poles switched to a similar system after reintroducing three-tier government (wojewodztwo - powiat - gmina), they made it better in some way. E.g. the City of Wroclaw is carring DW (Dolnoslaskie - Wroclaw), but Wroclaw Country is carring DWR. OK, therefore we have LL instead of L for Leipziger Land and LAU instead of N for Nürnberger Land.

When IOTL the Poles switched to a similar system after reintroducing three-tier government (wojewodztwo - powiat - gmina), they made it better in some way. E.g. the City of Wroclaw is carring DW (Dolnoslaskie - Wroclaw), but Wroclaw Country is carring DWR. OK, therefore we have LL instead of L for Leipziger Land and LAU instead of N for Nürnberger Land.

It was a bit different, old plates (white letters on black background) appeared when, new 1st chairman companion Gerek came to power and introduce new administrative division of Polish Peoples' Republic. So the old 17 Voivodeships were change into new smaller 49, poviats were expelled and gminas were unchanged in so called French style (like departaments and prefectures). Official propaganda was saying it was in name of "Voivodeships closer to the people", but actually it was make in order to more direct influence of central government in Warsaw into regional affairs.

Old plates had three letters and four digits. Two first letters were name of Voivodeship and the 3rd was name of gmina (even large cites were gminas) ex. "ZAT 1234" for ZAmość Voivodeship and gmina of Tomaszów Lubleski. It occurs very fast that this system was fare undesirable (there was more cars than available combinations). Gminas were introducing new combinations in their own responsibility so in the end of existence of old system the gmina of Tomaszów had plates like "ZAO 1234", ZMO etc. It was hard to tell from where the particular car was if you weren't local men.

In 1999 new division was introduce, new 16 Voivodeships became one more larger, poviats were reintroduced. Moreover some cites was given rights of poviats (so called 'powiaty grodzkie'), most capitols of 'old' Voivodeships and 20 other. In 2001 new car registration plates was introduce (black letters on white background, with euro style bar and flag (later with euro stars). First letter in new plates is code of Voivodeship (some first or next letter of Voivodeship name, other capitol city name first letter and in some random letter). If poviat is actually city with right of poviat, there is only one additional letter then there is authentication stick with hologram and alphanumeric combination of five or six letters (ex. "LZ 12345" for Lublin Voivodeship and city of Zamość). If poviat is ordinary one then there is three letters in the beginning (ex. "LZA A123" for Lublin Voivodeship and poviat of Zamość).

Last edited: