Alt-History Aftermath Scenarios Implied by Media

The Hunger Games: What happened to the rest of the world? Or is this going to be a forever unexplored mystery?
V for Vendetta: Is there anyone else left other than Great Britain? Also what would happen after Norsefire collapsed?

Here is one series, Carnival Row, which is set is an alternate version of post-WW I Europe, that I am surprised hasn't been discussed more:

Dark Knight Trilogy.

What are the repercussions of a major US City getting attacked several times right during the middle of the War on Terror? Does the League of Shadows get targeted as a terrorist organisation by US forces in the Middle East? What about the 2008 election? Dark Knight is set throughout 2008, with the ending said to be very late into the year, so the whole Joker crisis in Gotham must be an issue in the Presidential race that year. Then there's Rises, where Gotham, once again a major US city, basically gets held hostage for half a year.

Dark Knight Trilogy.

What are the repercussions of a major US City getting attacked several times right during the middle of the War on Terror? Does the League of Shadows get targeted as a terrorist organisation by US forces in the Middle East? What about the 2008 election? Dark Knight is set throughout 2008, with the ending said to be very late into the year, so the whole Joker crisis in Gotham must be an issue in the Presidential race that year. Then there's Rises, where Gotham, once again a major US city, basically gets held hostage for half a year.
Is Gotham supposed to be a stand-in for New York or a separate city by itself? Either way, any sitting President would probably lose after DK and DKR. I know that there was a big crackdown on organized crime after DK that would likely have happened in other major cities. There would be a big push to find whoever supported Bane and his ilk after Rises, although it seems that some spec ops were already underway before the events of the film.

Is Gotham supposed to be a stand-in for New York or a separate city by itself? Either way, any sitting President would probably lose after DK and DKR. I know that there was a big crackdown on organized crime after DK that would likely have happened in other major cities. There would be a big push to find whoever supported Bane and his ilk after Rises, although it seems that some spec ops were already underway before the events of the film.
Yeah the Dent Act, was that Gotham-only or US-wide? If the latter, there's going to be major repercussions going straight to Capitol Hill after Bane's speech that'll be bigger than Gordon's resignation.

If you take the supernatural elements out of A Plague Tale: Innocence, you still end up with an alchemist's apprentice that's stumbled upon some very real chemical reactions, the young heir of a prominent French noble being the subject of rumours concerning their ability to drive rats away (one hell of a way to be made a saint by the Church), and a high ranking member of the clergy dabbling in full-on heresy. :p

In the film The Thousand Faces of Dunjia (2017) by Tsui Hark it is claimed that China took up its isolationist policies ( much like in the film The Great Wall) in an effort to combat an extraterrestrial invasion, that took place not just once, but multiple times:

Here is one, in the Netflix series The Umbrella Academy, the superheroes accidentally alter the TL, preventing the assassination of JFK but triggering a Soviet invasion and nuclear war just 3 days later:

I have a feeling this is going to remain a mystery. But, if I had to guess, some kind of environmental cataclysm happened which was so severe that it toppled the US government, so I don't think Europe or Asia fared much better.

Below is a map of Panem layered over a map of the US, for comparison.

View attachment 674706

At least according to the 2005 movie, there is a Second American Civil War (because every dystopia needs a Second American Civil War)

In the actual 1980s graphic novel, the alternate history is somewhat different

If I recall correctly, the novelization of the movie said the trigger for Britain's descent into fascism in that story was not a Cold War conflict but rather a post-Cold War Sino-American war that went nuclear. (The War on Terror did not help, either.)

In Call of Duty, somehow President John F. Kennedy and former V.P. Richard M. Nixon were in the Pentagon , with Fodel Castro, when zombies attacked:

Kingsman, holy moly Kingsman. The first movie ends with most of the leadership of the G20 and other major countries, major military leaders, and the wealthiest people in the world either dead, or locked up in a Supervillain’s lair. Add on the fact that apparently there’s a certain frequency that can cause everyone to go into a berserk frenzy and who knows how many died?

Is this at all explored in the sequel... or mentioned... NOPE!

Just thinking through the consequences of this is...

Actually, Robert McNamara specifically states that the Cuban Missile Crisis has happened in that timeline. "This missile crisis was the last straw. We almost blew ourselves up!"
I remember him saying that!

Maybe someone convinced Kennedy and Castro do detente?

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Nixon sacrificed the others to escape 😂😂🤣

Geon

Donor
To return to the Bond films, I recall the movie Diamonds Are Forever. Consider that in the film the villain, Blofeld launches a laser satellite into Earth orbit. The satellite then targets in succession, a U.S. ICBM silo, a Soviet SSBN, and a Chinese nuclear weapons storage site. Blofeld declares an international auction with "global nuclear supremacy going to the highest bidder." At that particular time, can you imagine either the Soviet Union or the Chinese actually winning such an auction? And given the tenor of the times I could see the U.S. actually tempted by the offer of becoming the world's sole nuclear power.

Unfortunately, in such a scenario I could also see the Soviets and Chinese deciding to band together in an all or nothing final conventional/nuclear strike against the United States and its allies to take out the U.S. nuclear force and take as much territory as they can before Blofeld is able to neutralize their forces. You would be looking at a major war here.

Futher to add to this consider the Soviets would know the satellite was launched from an American launch site, supposedly by Willard Whyte, an American capitalist. Even though a U.S. ICBM site was destroyed it would be argued by the Soviets this was all to make it seem more plausible that the satellite was launched by a rogue element when this "clearly is an imperialistic capitlaist attempt to gain hegemony over the peaceful nations of the world!" This was the Cold War era remember, and the Soviets would be thinking along those lines.

And one final thought, at the end of the film the satellite is still up in space. Purportedly the satellite's central control has been destroyed by a joint U.S./British effort. But the Soviets will still only see the satellite and see it as a perpetual Sword of Damocles orbiting over their country. The fact that the Americans and British "defeated" Blofeld won't make any difference to them. As far as they are concerned the U.S. now has a super-weapon that they have - from the Soviet view - shown they are willing to use. I don't see anything good coming out of this scenario.

Last edited:
And one final thought, at the end of the film the satellite is still up in space. Purportedly the satellite's central control has been destroyed by a joint U.S./British effort. But the Soviets will still only see the satellite and see it as a perpetual Sword of Damocles orbiting over their country. The fact that the Americans and British "defeated" Blofeld won't make any difference to them. As far as they are concerned the U.S. now has a super-weapon that they have - from the Soviet view - shown they are willing to use. I don't see anything good coming out of this scenario.
Maybe that leads to the Star Wars program in that universe except someone actually made one that worked instead of just bluster.

Geon

Donor
Maybe that leads to the Star Wars program in that universe except someone actually made one that worked instead of just bluster.
Maybe. But, given how angry the Soviets and the Chinese are by this point I don't really see them letting any such research go forward without intervening in some way. I could easily see ASATs being quickly developed by the Soviets for instance.