Air Force roundels and markings thread

How about this for a Scottish roundel (apologies for the quality, knocked it up in paint).

Sorry, looks to much like a corporate logo to me. It might work for a national Scottish airline, but I can't imagine anyone letting the St Andrew's cross be "artsy-fied" like that in a national insignia The obvious Scots roundel would be a blue circle or square with the tradional white At Andrew's cross.

Roundel for the Federal Republic of Geisebai, from the Map Continuation 3 project. (Overview of the country)

Geisebai roundel.PNG

I was passing by a FINA station the other day and thought the shape of their logo would be a good, or at least interesting, shape for an Air Force roundel.

What do y'all think?

fina_logo.gif

I've always considered a shield a good alternate US roundel shape, based on the flag shield commonly shown in front of the bald eagle, but simplified (blue top with one star, one red and one white vertical stripe below).

Follow on thoughts about North American aircraft insignia in a Turtledovian AH with independent USA, CSA, and Texas airforces, accompanied by a really lousy graphic:

United States - a shield featuring a very reduced representation of the US flag.

Confederate States - A square reminiscent of the CS battleflag but highly stylized. White, which dominates the last confererate national flag (and has obvious racial overtones) is a major element. In a war with the US, the blue St. Andrews cross is either eliminated creating a simple red outlined white rectangle or done in red, to avoid any color confusion with the US insignia.

Texas - Dallas Cowboy fans might recognize this, but it does seem a realistic Texas insignia based on the lone star concept and is also not easily confused with either the US or CS roundels.

British North America/Canada. The British roundel, but with red substituting for the exterior blue (ie the same as Peru in OTL)

Mexico - OTL's green, white, red triangle, easily distinguishable from all the others.

Attachments

• insignia.pdf
    22.3 KB · Views: 998
Actually, the shield in the US's COA/seal doesn't have stars at all, just a blue chief and thirteen pallets/stripes. And that might make the shield-roundel more recognizable, as well as less Texan.

I really like the blue star idea for Texas.

Here's a version of the US shield.

US roundel shield.PNG

Actually, the shield in the US's COA/seal doesn't have stars at all, just a blue chief and thirteen pallets/stripes. And that might make the shield-roundel more recognizable, as well as less Texan.

I really like the blue star idea for Texas.

Here's a version of the US shield.
Ooh. I like that.

I'm bumping this thread because the "US state roundels" thread seems to show some interest in this topic.

Roundel for my Kingdom of the Cocos Islands, which I posted long, long ago in the Flag Thread:

cocos black roundel.png

Thande

Donor
Could someone come up with roundels for the Yakutian Air Force?

Here's the flag:

Apparently the Mongolian Air Force (the Mongolian flag of course uses the same symbol) used to put that symbol on a red star, and now just uses the symbol by itself. That's not very simple though which is the point of a recognition symbol. I would just use the yin-yang bit in yellow on a red circle.

Hendryk

Banned
Apparently the Mongolian Air Force (the Mongolian flag of course uses the same symbol) used to put that symbol on a red star, and now just uses the symbol by itself. That's not very simple though which is the point of a recognition symbol. I would just use the yin-yang bit in yellow on a red circle.
I agree, the whole thing would be too cumbersome on a roundel, just the yin-yang symbol would do.

A lot of these are much too complex for an aircraft roundel. They have to be easily recognizable at a glance from a distance. "Wait, is there a ring of crowns in there, or stars?"

Thande

Donor
A lot of these are much too complex for an aircraft roundel. They have to be easily recognizable at a glance from a distance. "Wait, is there a ring of crowns in there, or stars?"

An important point. One has to bear in mind the purpose of these. In OTL of course roundels have evolved depending on the combat situation the air forces found themselves in.

Some examples:

In WW1, Britain's Union Jack was too similar to the Germans' Iron Cross as seen from a distance, so we changed to a version of the French roundel (derived from the Revolutionary cockade) but with reversed colours, which is still used today.

Original British insignia:
gb!sq.gif

German Iron Cross:
600px-Cross-Pattee-Heraldry.svg.png

French roundel:
300px-Roundel_of_the_French_Air_Force.svg.png

Replacement British roundel:
600px-RAF_roundel.svg.png

The Commonwealth dominions adopted symbols similar to Britain's but with more localised designs, as did the United States as it was fighting alongside the British and French in WW1.

Canada:
300px-RCAF-Roundel.svg.png

Australia:
300px-RAAF_Roundel.svg.png

New Zealand (not implemented until 1950s):
600px-Rnzaf_roundel.svg.png

South Africa:
220px-Roundel_of_the_SAAF_WW2.svg.png

USA:
1.jpg

Followed by

150px-USAAC_Roundel.svg.png

The point is that these designs were chosen because they would look similar to the British (and French) ones and thus increase chances of friendly identification by trigger-happy allies.

Then, in WW2, the US and Commonwealth found themselves fighting the Japanese, whose 'meatball' Rising Sun meant that the red spot in the middle of the Commonwealth and US roundels could be mistaken for a Japanese logo by panicky gunners. So for the duration of the war the red part was removed from all the roundels - and the USA kept it that way afterwards.

Wartime roundel - Australia
300px-Roundel_of_Australia_1942.svg.png

Wartime roundel - Britain
120px-RAF_Far_East_Command_roundel.svg.png

USA
120px-USAAF_Roundel_1942-1943.svg.png

So it's always worth bearing in mind when designing roundels what wars the country in question fought with its air force, which countries were its allies and which its enemies - this will strongly influence the design of its roundel.