Air Force roundels and markings thread

Thande, the Canada/Australia/New Zealand localised their roundels in the 1950s - they fought both world wars using the British symbol.

I have used the Blackhawks roundel on several of my own designs.

Blackhawks F-90.jpg

Since I'm making flags for the TL I'm working on I figured I'd make some roundels as well.

The Roundel of the Azeri Air Force;

Azeri Roundel.png

Hendryk

Banned
A lot of these are much too complex for an aircraft roundel. They have to be easily recognizable at a glance from a distance. "Wait, is there a ring of crowns in there, or stars?"

So it's always worth bearing in mind when designing roundels what wars the country in question fought with its air force, which countries were its allies and which its enemies - this will strongly influence the design of its roundel.
Good points. This, of course, begs the question of the color scheme of Yakutian roundels: during the Second Sino-Japanese War they'd have to look immediately recognizable from the Japanese ones; then after the war they may have to be changed in order to avoid any confusion with the Soviet ones.

Here's two:
I like the stylized design, which IMHO fits the aforementioned requirements. What does everyone think?

Since all the other obscure design threads seem to have been revived, here's one I doodled a long time ago. Before it didn't seem to be creative enough to post. Maybe it's from a world where insignia are based more on national colors than flags.

Dutch roundels.png

Crossposting from Flag Thread

Byzantine Air Force Roundel
byzround.png

Byzantine Air Force Roundel(low visibility version)

byzroundlowvis.png

PRI's (Progressivist Republic of Italy) Air Force Roundel

proitrep.png

byzround.png

A set of roundels I made for an ASB setting. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out which countries they belong to.

xFN3K.png

VcirS.png

For the US symbol, I like it. I think it might eventially be simplified with the multiple vertical stripes cut down to just two (red/white) or three (red/white/red). A single star in the blue field might work.

I like the two (?) confederate designs, which embody an "Allied" type roundel with the St Andrews cross superimposed without stars (I'm assuming you have a TL-191 idie in mind). I've always thought hypothetical CSA insignia that replicates all the individual stars is to complex to be realistic in the long run. Not sure what the roundel with the red St Andrews cross is. An alternate CSA?

I too think the diamond has been under-used as an alternative roundel shape. However, if you are imagining an alternate history with Bourbon France, Russia, and a non-prussian Germany as allies (which the similar shape implies), you've got some creative PoD'ding to do.

For the US symbol, I like it. I think it might eventially be simplified with the multiple vertical stripes cut down to just two (red/white) or three (red/white/red). A single star in the blue field might work.

Hm, interesting idea. I might add a white border around it as well.

I like the two (?) confederate designs, which embody an "Allied" type roundel with the St Andrews cross superimposed without stars (I'm assuming you have a TL-191 idie in mind). I've always thought hypothetical CSA insignia that replicates all the individual stars is to complex to be realistic in the long run. Not sure what the roundel with the red St Andrews cross is. An alternate CSA?

The other one was supposed to be the United Kingdom. :p

I too think the diamond has been under-used as an alternative roundel shape. However, if you are imagining an alternate history with Bourbon France, Russia, and a non-prussian Germany as allies (which the similar shape implies), you've got some creative PoD'ding to do.

France isn't Bourbon in this scenario; I just added the fleur-de-lis because it looked cool. I'll probably remove it for simplicity's sake. The one on the end is supposed to be Belgium, although the TL does feature a non-Prussian Germany. All powers are aligned because these are for an ASB TL where Martians invade during the 1860s. :p

Hm, interesting idea. I might add a white border around it as well.

The other one was supposed to be the United Kingdom. :p

If so, I'd use the red horizontal English cross, not the St' Andrews style

France isn't Bourbon in this scenario; I just added the fleur-de-lis because it looked cool. I'll probably remove it for simplicity's sake. The one on the end is supposed to be Belgium, although the TL does feature a non-Prussian Germany. All powers are aligned because these are for an ASB TL where Martians invade during the 1860s. :p

Yet somehow they have airplanes to put insignia on? Or does somethng like the "Worldwar" stalemate happen and hold for another 100 years?

, although the TL does feature a non-Prussian Germany. All powers are aligned because these are for an ASB TL where Martians invade during the 1860s. :p

Yet somehow they have airplanes to put insignia on? Or does somethng like the "Worldwar" stalemate happen and hold for another 100 years?

THAT'S your realism gripe?!

That said, humans were working on flying machines before the world wars, and as soon as they were invented governments tried to weaponize them. Humans are going to develop air forces with or without a world war - especially when they're fighting against little green men who can fly!

That said, humans were working on flying machines before the world wars, and as soon as they were invented governments tried to weaponize them. Humans are going to develop air forces with or without a world war - especially when they're fighting against little green men who can fly!

Not if those little green men are flying supersonic rocket planes armed with lasers and nuclear weapons. We won't get the chance to develop aircraft if they invade in mid 19th century.

I suppose a lot depends on how the OP imagines the Martian (another realism problem of course) invasion, their own technology, and initial sucess.

If so, I'd use the red horizontal English cross, not the St' Andrews style

It's too late for that; I already used the cross design.

Oh, this is for later in the TL when they fight the Martians again in the late 1890s/early 1900s.

Humanity largely reverse engineers its aircraft from captured experimental Martian designs.

Not if those little green men are flying supersonic rocket planes armed with lasers and nuclear weapons. We won't get the chance to develop aircraft if they invade in mid 19th century.

They're based on War of the Worlds Martians.

I suppose a lot depends on how the OP imagines the Martian (another realism problem of course) invasion, their own technology, and initial sucess.

Their first invasion fails. You can read all about that here, and there's a sequel thread here.

First up, 2 different designs for a Republic of the Rio Grande air force:
nichq.png

2xfJs.png

Next, a Republic of Texas air force:
ZnHGd.png

And finally, if the US Army still had the air force, but somehow still changed their logo to what it is today:
0QxS6.png