Air Force roundels and markings thread

I don't think so, the iron cross is rotated and there are more similar roundels than those two.

Plus, the red would clearly differentiate it from the black and white German cross at a distance.

Depending on what the USA uses, I could also imagine a Confederate roundel being similar to the 1941-43 US roundel...A white star in a blue circle outlined in a red circle, perhaps with a thin white line separating the blue and red...or a red square with the white outlined bue circle and star within...or the Tennessee flag.

White might also be a major element of the CSA roundel - the last two national flags featured white as the dominant color - plus one can't ignore the racial connotations of a white roundel. Why not a simple blank white circle, with a thin red line on the edge and a thin blue St Andrews cross in the white circle...or just a white circle with thin red on the outside.

What about this for the fin flash of the Roman Air Force:

600px-New_SPQR_Flag.svg.png

EDIT: Just curious, is anyone getting tired of me going around the Books and Media forum posting Yooperian national symbols everywhere?

Yooperian roundel:

yoopround.png

EDIT: Just curious, is anyone getting tired of me going around the Books and Media forum posting Yooperian national symbols everywhere?

Yooperian roundel:

Not I!

Speaking of ATL symbols, here's an updated version of the Royal Albion Air Force roundel (though, as I only have the TL complete to the 1850's, Albion, and the rest of the world for that matter, won't have an air force for another 60-65 years or so :D.) :

Air Force of Albion Roundel.png

This is for the "Doomsday" TL at the AH Wikia. I know many here have mixed feelings about both that site and post-apocalyptism in general. I do too, but I enjoy my work with this particular TL.

Basically, in 1983 we blew ourselves up. ANZAF was established as a joint Aussie/New Zealand air force in the late 80s or early 90s. In 1995 the two nations took the final plunge and formed a joint Commonwealth government. The ANZAF insignia were redesigned to match the new flag.

The roundels ended up looking almost exactly like the old Jamaican roundels (albeit with a much more bluish green). But Jamaica no longer has its own national government, much less an air force, so no problem there.

ANZ has become the guardian of the Pacific, with a whole network of associated states. All of those states have their own militia of some kind, but only six have an Air Militia. For their insignia they follow the old British Commonwealth pattern of replacing the central dot with a local emblem. These are as follows:
Alaska: polar bear
Hawai'i: humpback whale
Kiribati: frigatebird
Vanuatu: boar's tusk
Papua: bird of paradise
East Timor: cockatoo

ANZC roundels.PNG

I really like this. Hope you don't mind me using it as a template for a Bavarian roundel.

Wouldn't that be... the BMW logo? Which I guess is fine, since the B does stand for "Bavaria".

Here's another idea, for what it's worth: Bavaria using a single lozenge for its Flugzeugkokarde.

Flugzeugkokarde Bayern.PNG

Wouldn't that be... the BMW logo? Which I guess is fine, since the B does stand for "Bavaria".

Here's another idea, for what it's worth: Bavaria using a single lozenge for its Flugzeugkokarde.
'Flugzeugkokarde?' I'm unable to translate that, other than the obvious flight reference.

Hapsburg

Banned
The roundels used for the three aerial branches of service. Due to the CGU's combat doctrine, there is no one "air force", but rather the Army Aerospace Force, the Naval Aerospace Service, and the Stormguard Flying Corps. The Army's air branch is the largest, with various subcommands, including the Strategic Air Command (strategic bombing and ballistic missiles), the Air Combat Command (tactical bombers and atmospheric fighters), the Air Cavalry Command (aerodynes and airspeeders), the Air Training Command (education and training of personnel), the Air Force Materiel Command (testing and research), and Air Strategic Supply Command (airborne logistics and transport).
The Naval aerospace forces consist mostly of the Starfighter Corps (starfighters, interceptors, and spacemechs) and the Strategic Orbital Support Service (orbital bombardment craft). The Stormguard Flying Corps is structurally similar to the Army's air services, albeit limited to just strategic bombing, nuclear armaments, and a small tactical wing.

The fin flash for all aircraft, as well as the side marking for all vehicles, is a simple Iron Cross with a white outline.

CGU roundels.png

Last edited:
The simplified version of the roundel used by the Saverian Air Force. (Saveria is a fictional nation of mine)
(If it's not round like a ball for you, I blame it on the "I-use-widescreen" scenario :p)
saverianairforceroundelsimple.png

Hapsburg

Banned
The simplified version of the roundel used by the Saverian Air Force. (Saveria is a fictional nation of mine)
(If it's not round like a ball for you, I blame it on the "I-use-widescreen" scenario :p)
saverianairforceroundelsimple.png

Yes, it looks like a vertical oval wearing a lemon-yellow necktie. :D

How about this for a Scottish roundel (apologies for the quality, knocked it up in paint).

Cool, but please, in the name of... well, THANDE (there, I said it. Go ahead and shout :rolleyes: at me for using thy name in vain or whatever)

Save in .png!
That will avoid the "pixel bees" crawling around the image.

On the image itself;
I like it, even if isn't exactly the same on the left as on the right (try mirroring one side to the other, that should make it look exactly the same on both sides)

Is it supposed to symbolize cross of st andrew?

Cool, but please, in the name of... well, THANDE (there, I said it. Go ahead and shout :rolleyes: at me for using thy name in vain or whatever)

Save in .png!
That will avoid the "pixel bees" crawling around the image.

On the image itself;
I like it, even if isn't exactly the same on the left as on the right (try mirroring one side to the other, that should make it look exactly the same on both sides)

Is it supposed to symbolize cross of st andrew?

Yeah, figured I'd just modify the Saltire a bit and see how it worked out. First attempt was at a circle with the cross through it but I didn't like it,so I changed to a triangle and it looked much better. Sorry about the file format, wasn't really paying attention :eek:.