AHQ: Protestantism in an Angevin Realm?

To some extent there will be ruffle feathers on both sides. But the idea of France and England was not yet completely created as we see it today. it is not strange to assume that the government is capable of governing both. Although probably "both" kingdoms will be under the French crown. So it would be another single kingdom that has lands on the continent and in Great Britain.
It is not that strange that the same man is king of both. It is very strange for them to be one kingdom any time in the near future (as of Henry V's or Edward III's idea of "near future" - using the English regnal numbers for ease of reference to OTL figures).

Last edited:
It is not that strange that the same man is king of both. It is very strange for them to be one kingdom any time in the near future (as of Henry V's or Edward III's idea of "near future" - using the English regnal numbers for ease of reference to OTL figures).
Yea, like Charles V or the early PLC.

Where, because you have an entire continent at your disposal. From Argentina and Brazil to Canada. The Huguenots tried to colonize some places in the OTL. But they failed. If there is intense persecution of Protestants. I think something similar could happen.
I think that Spain may be a foe.

It is not that strange that the same man is king of both. It is very strange for them to be one kingdom any time in the near future
I would say that in the long term it is not, as the idea of the two nations was not formed. England and France would be just france.
I think that Spain may be a foe.
Yes, Castile can be an opponent. Aragon and Portugal too. Spain can be formed from the union of Castile and Portugal or Castile and Aragon. Or even all three together. It may also not exist.

I'm not sure what you mean by not being formed at this point (the 14th/15th century).
I think he means that they weren't formed as coherent separate entities. He believes that within 100 years, England would be completely assimilated into France... despite being on an island across a channel. Personally I don't think this would happen, because there are so many examples of the same idea of "Big country conquers small country across a short sea" where the conquered isn't assimilated. Like Korea, or Ireland. At worst the English Language may be driven into a minority, but England would survive. I don't think a union would stop the Anglofrench rivalry.

I think he means that they weren't formed as coherent separate entities. He believes that within 100 years, England would be completely assimilated into France... despite being on an island across a channel. Personally I don't think this would happen, because there are so many examples of the same idea of "Big country conquers small country across a short sea" where the conquered isn't assimilated. Like Korea, or Ireland. At worst the English Language may be driven into a minority, but England would survive. I don't think a union would stop the Anglofrench rivalry.

They seem pretty coherently separate in that period to me. Something like Austria-Hungary (or even Great Britain as far as saying you're in England when in Edinburgh is silly at best) I can picture developing if there's a long term, but England as no more "a separate kingdom" than Brittany is harder to imagine.

They seem pretty coherently separate in that period to me. Something like Austria-Hungary (or even Great Britain as far as saying you're in England when in Edinburgh is silly at best) I can picture developing if there's a long term, but England as no more "a separate kingdom" than Brittany is harder to imagine.
Yea that's what I am thinking of. I do agree with the person saying England would be France that their main enemy Colonisationwise would be Spain/Castille/Whatever Iberian Power forms. The HRE/Austria, Or eventually Russia and/or the PLC would be the enemies on The continent.

It raises interesting questions what it actually does as far as the Ottomans. The sensible choices may not be road actually taken, especially for an ardently Catholic king feeling God wants him to do something.

No firm suggestions here, just underlining that the ways humans do not always make "sensible choices" is going to haunt this union.

It may not tear it apart, but I honestly cannot imagine it not coming up for the worse sooner or later.

It would depend on when the English and French crowns where united for instance their is the possible extinction of the Capet dynasty in the 12th Century

Let's say Louis Vii only has doughters

The next option is Edward III of England reclaims and holds the duchy of aquatane so let's say Edward of Woodstock never leads and English and aquatane army into Spain

The final option is that Henry V does not die and becomes King Henry ii of France and V of England and let's say he has more sons

That the depose their brother Henry Vi or cover for his weakness as King

If the union of crowns takes place before a independent political and national Identity can be created so best before the rule of Edward I of England

Then I believe the union would survive

If it's after then their a chance the nobility in England feel neglected by a king who spends most of their time in France or fighting other wars not in England interests

France had the biggest population in Europe until the 19th century and the Plantagenets would have the full resources of the French crown

So I do believe the union would survive

Math

Banned
As a friend said above, an Angevin King would hardly become Protestant unless there was a conflict with the Pope like that of Henry VIII, If we see OTL Reform time most of the monarchs who converted were from smaller kingdoms or dukes (And without influence in the Vatican And consequently Away), if we take the great powers of the time Spain, France, Austria And England (Despite being a lesser power) Only England converted due to a conflict between Henry VIII (who even denounced Luther) and the pope over his marriage annulment.
I don't see why a "super realm" would be any more powerful than other late medieval and early modern dynastic monstrosities like the empire of Charles V and his supposed 'universal monarchy'. Of course the fractiousness of the Holy Roman Empire was somewhat unique, but this monarch is still going to have to try and traverse and govern a vast area running north to south and try and fulfill the demands of both continental and insular elites which are diametrically opposed in serious ways. Realms like that in those days mostly resulted in exhausted monarchs constantly running around their realm trying to solve problems with discontented notables either with the pen or the sword and getting into brushfire spats in half a dozen locations rather than just being able to concentrate force wherever they wished. Not that they were always weak, but "super realm" seems to be overselling the strength of a union like this at this day and age. I'm skeptical that some combination of crowns creates an überpowerful state that doesn't face the crippling material limits of trying to rule and hold together vast areas under the conditions of the time.

Also hard to see a "crushed reformation" as a downstream result of just another large feudal empire arising considering that the Reformation spread far and wide not through massive hosts of men but through printed pieces of paper and the intercontinental exchange of ideas influenced by a rising class of bourgeois city dwellers. The Reformation remaining 'short-lived, regional and isolated' doesn't seem plausible given the PoD considering the advent of the printing press and the development of a pan-European print culture in which private interpretation and reinterpretation of texts became possible in a way they never had before. As the quip goes, the increase in Bibles created the Reformation. The Anglo-French Union isn't changing the printing press and it certainly isn't going to just wave away the increasingly unstable purgatory industry in northern Europe and the intensifying trade networks (and thus intellectual networks) that facilitated the spread of Reformation ideas. This isn't even mentioning things like the expansion of the Ottoman Turk that contributed to the explosion of anxiety that made the Reformation. Not sure how this "super realm" really changes any of this, especially considering a continental war didn't even begin between Catholics and Protestants until long after Protestantism had been deeply implanted and widely disseminated in areas that aren't even really within the reach of this alt-kingdom.

A Protestant reform could indeed be completely subjugated by an Angevin empire, I do not disagree that there would still be a reform, but if we look at examples such as Bavaria, Austria, South of France (two times) and Bohemia, In a few decades Protestants could be reconverted under a Catholic monarch.

Supposing that the protestant reformation still happens like in OTL around the same time in a Timeline where the Plantagenets formed an Anglo-French Union, what would the outcome be? May the Empire collapse or would it stay united, and would it/it's successor states follow the Pope or Martin luther/his TTL equivalent?
Protestants would be persecuted as heretics.

A Protestant reform could indeed be completely subjugated by an Angevin empire, I do not disagree that there would still be a reform, but if we look at examples such as Bavaria, Austria, South of France (two times) and Bohemia, In a few decades Protestants could be reconverted under a Catholic monarch.
The point I'm making isn't that Protestantism could not be checked or indeed reversed in specific competitions of force - its that Protestantism or something like it was overdetermined by the point in question. The contradictions and circumstances that birthed the movement would not be changed or halted by a simple reconfiguring of the balance of power in Europe. Placing more crowns on a smaller amount of heads will not stop a Protestant-like rupture that spreads throughout Europe. Even if an Angevin Empire does "completely subjugate" localized reform movements in its own territory or territories of others, it can't act everywhere at once and will face the same material limitations that monarchs like Charles V faced historically. Nobody is saying that Protestant areas could not be re-Catholicized or that emergent Protestant movements could utterly fail to launch, but the idea that one new empire would and could crush not just one but all Protestant movements across a continent for centuries seems a little bit ridiculous given the realities of the time. Even if initial Protestant movements are defeated, it doesn't mean they can't come back either and the success of one area contributes to successes elsewhere. The triumph of Hussitism contributed to the flowering of Lollardy in England. Lollardy was trampled, but the seeds laid by the movement eventually bore fruit generations later in the English Reformation. The English Reformation encouraged the Dutch one, and so on and so forth. Even defeats can contribute to Protestant ideas spreading as the uprooting of heresy through fire and sword drives confessional groups from their homes and into exile where they will continue to propagate their ideas, often more viciously and zealously than before (see: Terpstra, "Religious Refugees in the Early Modern World"). Not to mention the very real pragmatic benefits that Protestantism granted to rulers in the fierce competition and state-building of Early Modern Europe. Henry VIII and Frederick the Wise are archetypal characters here. I'm under the weather today so this feels a bit jumbled, but basically my point is that mere application of force in key areas at certain times (Angevin armies in this case) won't be enough to stem the continent-wide tide of Protestant theology, especially as capitalist development deepens and finds the shackles of the Roman Church too much to bear.

Last edited:

Math

Banned
especially as capitalist development deepens
North of Italy was one of the most capitalist areas in Europe and never converted, the richest man in Europe (Fugger) during the reform period remained Catholic.

I understand what you mean, there will always be other Christian sects, they have existed since the Gnostics until today, But an Angevin empire could make Lutheranism, Calvinism have the same fate as Donatists, Valentinianists, Bogomils, Paulicians, Cathars

And of course, other sects may emerge in the future.

Last edited:

Math

Banned
but the idea that one new empire would and could crush not just one but all Protestant movements across a continent for centuries seems a little bit ridiculous given the realities of the time.
Why did Austria, which had a Lutheran majority, convert back to Catholicism?, Bavaria became half and half And then it was converted , Bohemia remained Hussites for more than 100 years and after the White mountain It was reconverted by the Habsburgs? No one is saying that Protestantism will die, And that, it would be weakened, we have examples to say that if the ruler is strong enough, his kingdom will follow his religion, The south of France is also an example, The vendee during the Reformation was a Protestant point, centuries later it rose against the French Republic due to anti-Catholic policies

Last edited:
North of Italy was one of the most capitalist areas in Europe and never converted, the richest man in Europe (Fugger) during the reform period remained Catholic.
The merchant republics of Italy were indeed the tip of the spear of capitalist development in Europe… up until the Italian Wars of the 16th century absolutely smashed the place up as the large feudal states sought to leech off the coffers of the prosperous area. After that, the locus of capitalist development shifted to the North Sea and concentrated around the Low Countries, the Rhine region, and England. Coincidentally, or not (!), these areas heavily overlapped with both the spread and popularity of the Reformation and subsequent attempts at expanding urban bourgeois power at the expense of hereditary elites. This thesis, as far as I’m aware, is relatively non-controversial among those who study the Early Modern period and the Reformation. Fugger remaining Catholic isn’t much of an argument against that thesis - it’s simply the observation that the Reformation and the development of powerful bourgeois institutions tended to go hand in hand during the Early Modern Period.

I understand what you mean, there will always be other Christian sects, they have existed since the Gnostics until today, But an Angevin empire could make Lutheranism, Calvinism have the same fate as Donatists, Valentinianists, Bogomils, Paulicians, Cathars
Previous heretical sects and confessional groups were acting on similar impulses that the groups of the Reformation were launching their critique from, but I don’t believe you can remotely make a 1:1 comparison. This is purely because the technology of the printing press and resulting revolution in communication as well as the increasing unstableness of the feudal economic order made the Reformation’s challenge vastly more viable and effective than previous groups. The printing press itself made something like the Reformation overdetermined because you could actually print vernacular Bibles and notice the contradictions inherent to what the word says versus what the practice of the church actually was. By being able to disseminate tracts to an increasingly literate audience at the same time as an urban bourgeois class was rising that directly benefitted from disestablishing Church and feudal institutions, this means that the power of the Reformation is just not comparable to previous heretical groups which either were made of small groups of dissident elites and their parishes (Arianism for example) or grassroots democratic critiques of church hierarchy and power (Catharism for example, sort of). I’m not arguing that the Reformation will happen because these groups will always come and go - I’m saying the material circumstances of the area made the Reformation’s partial success a near inevitability as opposed to earlier attempts.

No one is saying that Protestantism will die
Well no, the original person I was responding to in this thread said exactly this. And you yourself said the Angevins could “completely subjugate” Protestant reform. It’s unclear to me whether you meant throughout Europe or just in their realm, but my entire original objection here was against people saying that the Angevins would prevent or destroy Protestantism somehow.

The question is: what outcome may result? Could we see a religious difference between the French and British, or perhaps the religion that doesn't become prominent remain in American colonies?

What could the religious difference be between the British Isles and France/Mainland, and (Assuming the Angevins do colonize), may the American colonies end up home to the religion that isn't prominent, say, like AH equivalents of the Puritans or Huguenots?