Boredom Germany.png

Base map Could something like this german empire ever be accomplished? The only change to Europe from OTL is that they don't have Alcase-Lorraine, but do have Luxembourg. Africa is obvious with the giant mittleafrika, same with the German Phillippines. Now, there was a situation involving France getting Luxembourg, so maybe it led to war and Germany took it? Though you''d need good relations for any major power to accept that African possession, and then philippine acquisition.

OTL, germany's colonial empire was much smaller, and hardly a profit. TTL, with the larger captive market and the sheer amount of resource in the congo (as well as controlling most land shipments in Africa), would this change, or would germany's Place in The Sun burn a hole in her wallet?

Base map Could something like this german empire ever be accomplished? The only change to Europe from OTL is that they don't have Alcase-Lorraine, but do have Luxembourg
Maybe France and prussia goes to war over the luxemburg crisis? that explain luxemburg and in the negotiation table they got the right over the congo and central africa.

How they got Philippines is the hard part, maybe a spain in a worse situation sold it to germany?

How they got Philippines is the hard part, maybe a spain in a worse situation sold it to germany?
I was under the impression there was an offer made OTL that berlin rejected, but since they would've already had a fleet to handle it the colony would make more sense

If Spain is economically exhausted by a longer lasting and worse Carlist wars plus an US threat looming over Cuba, she may consider selling the Phips to Germany for the money and to win an ally...

If Spain is economically exhausted by a longer lasting and worse Carlist wars plus an US threat looming over Cuba, she may consider selling the Phips to Germany for the money and to win an ally...
If that ever happens they will sell the Philippines to Britain first since the Spanish were talking and considering about selling that colony to Britain.

Last edited:
How the heck did they get Luanda? Don't you know all of Angola belongs to Portugal? All of it? All!
there was a deal to partition the Portuguese empire between Germany and Britain. Them taking part of it through anything from war to coerced purchase seems plausible

there was a deal to partition the Portuguese empire between Germany and Britain. Them taking part of it through anything from war to coerced purchase seems plausible
Depending the POD and butterflies, Germany would be happy with his new empire, the kongo mineral wealth and phillipines tropical goods would be good enough for them

Depending the POD and butterflies, Germany would be happy with his new empire, the kongo mineral wealth and phillipines tropical goods would be good enough for them
OTL the profits from the german overseas empire were small at best, and it was more a strategic investment (messing with French plans or limiting British domination of major markets) or for the Prestige. do you think ttl's empire would be the same, or much more profitable?

Germany would need very good relations with the UK or alliance so the RN would not block German access to the colonies by sea.
Germany with colonies like that would seem like a rival to Britain unless France or America is seen as a bigger problem.
Germany is going to need a big surface fleet and merchant navy.
Maybe better relations between the British and Germans crowns.
Anglo-German empire?

Last edited:
Germany would need very good relations with the UK or alliance so the RN would not block German access to the colonies by sea.
Germany with colonies like that would seem like a rival to Britain unless France or America is seen as a bigger problem.
Anglo-German empire?
I contemplated making it a full world map, which would help figure out relations, but I was mainly just doing it out of boredom.

Ultimately I was thinking Britain might be playing Germany and France off each other and remaining neutral, but that would require a Big France

Ultimately I was thinking Britain might be playing Germany and France off each other and remaining neutral, but that would require a Big France
France still have Eltass-lothrigen, maybe with those france is richer and more a threat to britain? maybe they got belgium or wallonia here too?

France still have Eltass-lothrigen, maybe with those france is richer and more a threat to britain? maybe they got belgium or wallonia here too?
currently messing with the map, and France has Francophone Belgium and Switzerland- still working on colonies. But yeah, a better position to meddle with Britain

Grey Wolf

Donor
Anglo-German empire?

Germany did have a huge merchant navy, historically, commensurate to its industrial size, so that's probably not something that a PoD needs to worry about.

A huge surface fleet is only necessary to DEFEND an empire, rather than to gain one. At least one with a battle line. I certainly think they will need a ton of cruisers to show the flag, be in strategic places for crises etc

HOW? Post Nappy, Switz was already full neutral, doing that might be the causus bellis germany needed to unify, still wallonia make sense..Britain will be france archnemesis once again
However, France may just have a key chokepoint to the German economy. I speak, of course of iron ore.
Cheap-ass, abundant iron ore from the Thionville and Briey areas. IOTL, Germany had Thionville and still needed to import from Briey.

However, France may just have a key chokepoint to the German economy. I speak, of course of iron ore.
Cheap-ass, abundant iron ore from the Thionville and Briey areas. IOTL, Germany had Thionville and still needed to import from Briey.
As say before, the enemy of france might be britain, germany would happy not care that eminity, that is what the same bismarck wanted, not having permanent enemies, that is why he wanted to avoid annex E-L but got overturned as Baden and Bavaria demanded it

As say before, the enemy of france might be britain, germany would happy not care that eminity, that is what the same bismarck wanted, not having permanent enemies, that is why he wanted to avoid annex E-L but got overturned as Baden and Bavaria demanded it

von Bismarck didn't want to bring even more Catholics and significant numbers of French-speakers into the Empire.

Regardless of Alsace-Lorraine, France was going to be revanchist as their primary gripe was losing their rather dominant position on the continent to Germany. Alsace-Lorraine was a convenient sticking point to legitimize their revanchism, but they would find another one.

There was really no way, during von Bismarck's lifetime, that a Republican France was going to have anything better than cool relations with Germany.

I contemplated making it a full world map, which would help figure out relations, but I was mainly just doing it out of boredom.

Indeed a bigger France would be needed.
A divided America by the civil war might help too.
Maybe they keep Quebec and get Mexico. Divide American makes it easier to get to the Philippines.
Maybe the UK gets Hawaii.
France is now more of a threat and the Union is hostile to the UK.
So an alliance with Germany makes sense.