AHC/WI/PC: White Majority in Southern Africa

Can we get Southern Africa (South Africa and enclaves, Malawi, Mocambique, Angola, Namibia, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana) white European majority through colonization and what would happen?

With a lot of ethnic cleansing and genocide, yes.

I'm not even sure it could work with that. Whites were like 5% of South Africa's population at the time, and there were so many native Africans. Even the Nazi death machine would be strained by the number of people they needed to kill, much less a country pre-1900.

Fixed it for you.

Granted this might be easier if South Africa developed a sort of 'Reverse one Drop Rule' where any visible white ancestry would make someone be counted as white.

With a lot of ethnic cleansing and genocide, yes.

Redefine "South Africa" to include just the Cape, for a start.

I'm not even sure it could work with that. Whites were like 5% of South Africa's population at the time, and there were so many native Africans. Even the Nazi death machine would be strained by the number of people they needed to kill, much less a country pre-1900.

You guys realize he's asking for Southern Africa, not South Africa, right? It'd be hard enough to get a white majority South Africa even if you restrict South Africa to the Cape Colony boundaries of the early 1800s, let alone all of what OP asked for (Mozambique, South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Malawi etc)

Deleted member 67076

You guys realize he's asking for Southern Africa, not South Africa, right? It'd be hard enough to get a white majority South Africa even if you restrict South Africa to the Cape Colony boundaries of the early 1800s, let alone all of what OP asked for (Mozambique, South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Malawi etc)

Reverse One Drop Rule is the only way then. Just have plenty of mixing go around.

Reverse One Drop Rule is the only way then. Just have plenty of mixing go around.
I believe that the one drop rule is just an American thing. South Africa has a large "coloured" population that, I believe, is not considered black, but a seperate group.

Yeah, I realize what RWG said. It's just impossible.

Now, if you want a "South Africa" to be majority white, that's not impossible. Things could get nasty in the 20th century, leading to a mass white exodus to the Cape as racial warfare begins. This small white part of Africa manages to stick around, evicts all Blacks from land it controls, and calls itself "South Africa".

Pretty much.

Maybe European pressures force most to emigrate there. There weren't too many Africans so it would look more like a Native American scenario.

No, I realize what he's asking. I'm just saying that the amount of killing it would take to make Southern Africa a white majority area would put tremendous strain on even the Nazi machinery of death, so I really doubt someone in the Scramble for Africa could do it.

Sabot Cat

Banned

Oh no, I realize, but it's certainly within the realm of possibility to have a genocide and ethnic cleansing campaign of that size and scale, if sustained for decades.

Oh no, I realize, but it's certainly within the realm of possibility to have a genocide and ethnic cleansing campaign of that size and scale, if sustained for decades.

That's not the point though. It has to not only be possible but plausible - whose interest would it be in to wipe out every African native in the entirety of Africa south of the Congo?

Sabot Cat

Banned
They already have enough land to take without killing off everyone. Plus, Lebensraum was based off the idea that there wasn't room enough in the world for both Aryans and Slavs/Jews. That ideology didn't exist during this time period, in fact most Europeans thought that Africans could live as a permanent underclass to European settlers.

Maybe have some sort of major black African uprising in the colonies, or some such.