AHC / WI : A muslim germanic people

I don't know who feasible this would be but for the sake of creating a Muslim Germanic culture here's mine. North African Vandals defeat the Roman reconquest of North Africa during the Vandal War. The Vandal kingdom survives and thrives. Let's say nearly a hundred years later, the Vandals are among the first to convert to Islam. Following a top to bottom conversion beginning with the Vandal king and nobility down to the commoners. The Vandals establish a powerful Islamic kingdom in North Africa known as the Vandal Caliphate with its capital in otl Algeria or Tunisia.

Meanwhile political divisions causes Visigothic Spain to split into two factions between Roderic on one side and Achila on the other. Long story short, Achila invites the Vandals to help him against Roderic. The Vandals, who are relatively new converts to Islam are enthusiastic for conquest and to spread the faith, eagerly oblige.
Right about the same time as otl Roderic is killed around 711 in a battle with the Vandals and pretty soon Visigoth Spain becomes Vandal Spain ruled by a Vandal Caliphate.

al vandalusia is a tl i never know i wanted to but now i need to.

What about the vandals holding out in North Africa and converting?
They would likely undergo Berberization (if they were not already Berber speakers) or Arabization after converting to Islam. Therefore their existence as a sperate muslim Germanic people would be short lived.

are they sustainable enough ?
If a community of Transylvanian Saxon converts to Islam forms. Then a Muslim Germanic people would exist if the community manages to exist for multiple generations. The community does not have to be large to survive. Though the likelihood of long-term persistence would increase if the community was more populous. Overall, I don't see most Transylvanian Saxons converting maybe somewhere between 1-20%, perhaps 5%. Following the Ottoman lose of territory part of the community might move to what is still Ottoman territory. Perhaps the migration of converts to core Ottoman territory would be necessary, or at least an aiding factor in strengthening the community.

It would be better with a group of Germans who had settled in Anatolia, the Levant or Caucasus, who later converted to Islam. You could also have some Transylvanian Saxons, moving into the Ottoman Empire as merchants and miners, and later to get a edge on their competitors converting en mass to Islam, with a purely pragmatic conversion and a favored position and privileges in the empire, it would make sense for such a group to stay cultural distinct by keeping their own language, culture and practice endogamy.
I think Anatolia, the Levant and the Caucasus Regions are probably to far away. It is more likely that the prospective German migrants would settle somewhere in the Balkans.

The conversion might be pragmatic at first, but over time would become their traditional faith.

Would a more successful conquest of Lombard held southern Italy work or were the byzantines too influential for a mega emirate of Sicily to be Germanic?

They would likely undergo Berberization (if they were not already Berber speakers) or Arabization after converting to Islam. Therefore their existence as a sperate muslim Germanic people would be short lived.
Many Germanic tribes at least initially had a fear of intermixing with locals. This was true for awhile with the Saxons and Angles in England segregating themselves from the Britons, the Visigoths in Spain, and I would assume the Vandals in north Africa. The Germanic tribes tried to keep a separate identity and even banned interracial marriages. They kept separate law codes for themselves as well as for the local natives. In Visigothic Spain this apartheid system was kept in place for about a century until Reccared, fearing the increasing unrest from his Hispano-Roman native subjects decreed that Visigoths should convert to Roman Catholicism, created a single unified law code for both Goth and native Spanish and encouraged intermarriage to achieve social cohesion in his realm. In Anglo-Saxon England this apartheid system lasted longer, I guess it wouldn't be too implausible for the Vandals to maintain their identity longer as well. Although it wasn't just the Vandals who established a north African kingdom, the Alans (an Iranian tribe) and close ally of the Vandals also settled their with them. In fact Vandal North Africa was called Regnum Vandalorum et Alanorum (Kingdom of the Vandals and Alans) so at this point the Vandals and Alans must have merged at some point and became collectively just known as "Vandals," much like the Angles, Saxons, Frisians, Jutes, Danes merged to become known as Anglo-Saxon or just "English."

Maybe have some late Pagan Germanics that resistent Christianity OTL been converted to Islam. So maybe the Saxon leader Widukid comes to contact with Islamic travelers which offer Islam as assistance against Frankish genocidel behavior. Out of deaperation the Saxons abandon Paganism and join Islam. Maybe keeping some Pagan Folklore and have a Sufi belief System.

What about Teutonic Order state in Transylvania that is later conquered by Ottomans?

Before Teutonic Knights settled in Prussia they were expelled from Transylvania by Hungarian King Andrew II, despite Pope's protests, as they attempted to carve state for themselves out lands of Kingdom of Hungary.

If there is TO state in Transylvania, that resembles TO state in Prussia then there would be Order's elite on the top-younger sons of aristocrats from HRE, meanwhile local born German burghers would have little to say. That would create resentment against the Order and even Catholic institutions at all, like in OTL Prussia.

If such state is conquered by Ottomans then I can see German burghers abandoning Catholicism en masse, in favour of Protestantism mostly, but some may convert to Islam as well.

Last edited:

Kinda cheating but this scenario proposes an alternate "Islam" developing in Germania, which by default would create german "muslims" and make the faith & the people go hand in hand together

Deleted member 90949

Hitler had a fondness for Islam.

Maybe Positive Islam becomes the state religion of Germany after Endsieg.

Alternatively, the Franks convert to Islam after the defeat at Poitiers shatters their faith in Christ. Then the Mozarabs rebel and take over Iberia. Now there is a reverse Reconquista between Germanic Muslims and Arabic Christians.

Hitler had a fondness for Islam.

Maybe Positive Islam becomes the state religion of Germany after Endsieg.

Alternatively, the Franks convert to Islam after the defeat at Poitiers shatters their faith in Christ. Then the Mozarabs rebel and take over Iberia. Now there is a reverse Reconquista between Germanic Muslims and Arabic Christians.
Notwhistanding that this is pre-1900 both those theories are untenable. Hitler wouldn't have converted to a religion that ultimately was full of Untermensch he regarded Arabs as inferior barbarians and privately confided in his confidantes that he only maintained as much of a relationship with Muslim leaders due to political reasons rather than any personal inclinations to convert.

The Franks converting en-masse after a single defeat isn't exactly something thats possible perhaps a monarch could've converted but would the Christian Franks abandon their faith after a single defeat? I doubt it. A reverse reconquista is a cool idea however.

Well, that TL would probably end up with western Slavic domination over Germany and Bavaria was firmly christian (I'd say they'd become Central European counterparts of Maronites) so actual Muslim Germanics would've been highly unlikely.
Did you read the TL still too early to call anything

Ustase got on the honorory Aryan bandwagon, claimed to be Slavic-speaking Goths. They also treated the Muslim/Bosniak population as more or less equal to the Croat/Catholic population. Thus, deep within Axis-collaborator lala-land between '41 and '45, Germanic Muslims were a thing :p

What about the vandals holding out in North Africa and converting?
Could this be more feasible closer to home in Andalus, closer to the source of Germanic migration? What were the odds of some Vandal or Visigothic nobility converting to Islam out of political convenience, ingratiating themselves to the Umayyads for a few generations, then striking with a pinch of luck and creative liberty to install themselves in power, creating on the Iberian Peninsula a Germanic-speaking state sponsoring Maliki Sunni Islam? It's not like they have to Germanize the whole place, but at least hold on to power long enough to intermix their customs with their new religions, cultivate a culture that can hold out in some corner of the peninsula in the event of an overthrow. It's more likely than not that they'll be wiped out down the line like the Baltic pagans in a "Western Crusade", but survival to the modern time outside of some old manuscripts and artifacts is only a bonus, per OP.

Last edited:
Did you read the TL still too early to call anything

I did, so that's why I said "probably" not "certainly", but circumstances were...not that favorably for Germanic succcess. as far as I remember Talus ended with Sorbians being established as far as western Thuringia, Czechs taking over parts of Bavaria and Carantania freeing itself from Bavarian yoke.