AHC: U.S. professional sports league with at least one Mexican team

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Baseball is the logical choice. MLB could add several teams in Mexico (mainly to keep travel reasonable) and prosper quite nicely. With Cuba opening back up, I would personally love to see a MLB division with teams in Cuba, Mexico Puerto Rico, Dominica, and maybe Costa Rica (LOTS of U.S. expats) or Venezuela (once the economy regains sanity).

TFSmith121

Banned
Baseball certainly is a possibility;

Baseball certainly is a possibility; soccer maybe, but Mexican soccer is a universe in its own.

Mexico City would be challenging in terms of travel, but not impossible. The only other (and I'd say sort of remote) possibility would be Monterey.

There's the issue of whether there's enough "local" commerce to support it; there's a reason these guys aren't around anymore:

Best,

I can't see either the NHL or NBA hosting a team simply because it's not popular there. The Cardinals and the 49ers played a game in Mexico City a while ago, and it attracted a crowd of over 100,000 but that was a one time thing. Maybe if the NFL was more focused on expansion to 40 teams, maybe it could be a possibility. It would be kind of a pain for travel, since the nearest team is over 1,800 miles away (the most isolated franchise currently is Seattle, which is about 800 miles from the nearest team in San Francisco). But then again, The NFL is looking into expanding to London, which would be even more of a pain; at least Mexico City runs on Central Time

The MLS could expand to Mexico, but before the MLS was created Liga MX was firmly established, and I don't think they would like it if they intruded into the fanbase, especially with the rather foreign structure of the MLS.

That leaves the MLB. We see a decent amount of players from Mexico enter the MLB, and their Little League teams always do well, but their professional domestic league is rather weak. Coupled with the fact that we see a ton of Latin American players enter the league and thrive, a team in Mexico could be possible, especially if the MLB was focused on expanding to 32 teams. That would be your best bet.

Baseball certainly is a possibility; soccer maybe, but Mexican soccer is a universe in its own.

Mexico City would be challenging in terms of travel, but not impossible. The only other (and I'd say sort of remote) possibility would be Monterey.

There's the issue of whether there's enough "local" commerce to support it; there's a reason these guys aren't around anymore:

Best,

That is bad example, expos never recovered from the strike and team dismatelation, alongside was the owner who wanted to go away, local support in Montreal was big enough to push to keep or give it back a team in a expansion, plus Toronto Blue Jays are popular that ever(my dad is fan :D)

The main problem I see with this is that Mexican teams would have to take in pesos for ticket money, but have to pay salaries in US dollars (take the problems that Canadian teams in the NHL and multiply them).

The main problem I see with this is that Mexican teams would have to take in pesos for ticket money, but have to pay salaries in US dollars (take the problems that Canadian teams in the NHL and multiply them).

ouch, other would be keepin PPA in relevance but that is opening other worms of can, or put tickets price in dollar to peso but that would make baseball too cost prohibitive(unless sold heavily discount in bundleds). Other would be a combinataion, ticket price right for fans, and Pesos based salaries but extremly good comparated to PPA in US dollar in Mexico,

What the hell is the MLS?

Major League Soccer.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Soccer

My own thoughts. I'd expect to see either baseball or soccer expand. I can't really see basketball or hockey expanding into Mexico, the Caribbean, or Central America. The NFL games in Mexico City always struck me more as a novelty rather than a regular event. While they've had crowds of 100,000 for a game, I can't see them generating that many on a regular basis.

Major League Soccer.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Soccer

My own thoughts. I'd expect to see either baseball or soccer expand. I can't really see basketball or hockey expanding into Mexico, the Caribbean, or Central America. The NFL games in Mexico City always struck me more as a novelty rather than a regular event. While they've had crowds of 100,000 for a game, I can't see them generating that many on a regular basis.

I had no idea they were still around. Soccer would be the most likely as it is the smallest and I am sure the poorest paying of the leagues.

TFSmith121

Banned
Yeah, but...

That is bad example, expos never recovered from the strike and team dismatelation, alongside was the owner who wanted to go away, local support in Montreal was big enough to push to keep or give it back a team in a expansion, plus Toronto Blue Jays are popular that ever(my dad is fan :D)

Yeah, but ... When the Nationals make more economic sense to the League than the Expos did, it's worth considering how the "best" market in Mexico would compare...

Best,

I had no idea they were still around. Soccer would be the most likely as it is the smallest and I am sure the poorest paying of the leagues.

The MLS is by far the lowest paying league of the five (average player makes about 200K) and it is the smallest team-wise, but it is expanding currently, with four teams planned to make their debut by 2019. But I wouldn't say they are the most likely, because Mexican Soccer and the MLS are very different animals. Liga MX is already established as the major soccer league in Mexico, and I don't think they would be happy with the MLS coming into their market base. A league that isn't established in Mexico would have a better chance in surviving.

The MLS is by far the lowest paying league of the five (average player makes about 200K) and it is the smallest team-wise, but it is expanding currently, with four teams planned to make their debut by 2019. But I wouldn't say they are the most likely, because Mexican Soccer and the MLS are very different animals. Liga MX is already established as the major soccer league in Mexico, and I don't think they would be happy with the MLS coming into their market base. A league that isn't established in Mexico would have a better chance in surviving.

Except there is no way Mexican patrons can pay for overpriced American athletes. 200k they can probably afford, 2 million is another matter.

Except there is no way Mexican patrons can pay for overpriced American athletes. 200k they can probably afford, 2 million is another matter.

The MLS couldn't support a team in Mexico. The MLS wouldn't be popular enough for Mexico to take them seriously. Mexico already has a league that is better than the MLS, a team in an American team wouldn't bring in any money at all. The MLB might have some problems with cap room of a team in Mexico, but it has been proven that teams can win that way (Rays, Athletics). The NFL wouldn't even suffer this issue since all the teams operate with the same cap room, and even with reduced prices for tickets there would still be a profit

The MLS couldn't support a team in Mexico. The MLS wouldn't be popular enough for Mexico to take them seriously. Mexico already has a league that is better than the MLS, a team in an American team wouldn't bring in any money at all. The MLB might have some problems with cap room of a team in Mexico, but it has been proven that teams can win that way (Rays, Athletics). The NFL wouldn't even suffer this issue since all the teams operate with the same cap room, and even with reduced prices for tickets there would still be a profit

I can't see how they could make a profit with the huge salaries American athletes make. Mexico is dirt poor. How in the world is it going to afford it?

As far as I remember, I heard that before the whole security debacle the MLB actually attempted to expand to Monterrey. And they are actually trying to do so again, according to the official site from the Sultanes.