AHC: POTUS with a wife 24 years older than him

Archibald

Banned
Ok, I see your point. Well, he pissed me off when he mentionned that Macron teacher falling in love with him would be considered rape in any other place than France. Nice, making all Frenchmen DSK wannabee.

Wouldn't anything over a decade older be fodder for the tabloids? Does it have to be two and a half (less one year) decades?

The tabloids will have a field day with damn near anything. They are very good at stretching the truth, and if they can't find any truth to something, they just fall back on the age-old practice of making shit up.

Ok, I see your point. Well, he pissed me off when he mentionned that Macron teacher falling in love with him would be considered rape in any other place than France. Nice, making all Frenchmen DSK wannabee.

I'm curious what the French perspective on Macron's relationship is. I hadn't heard of it before I saw the thread, but I would think something similar in the U.S. would be very scandalous and a topic of a lot of vulgar jokes.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
<snip>

I also have to say, not directed specifically at you, that I find the prurient commentary at the relationship between Brigitte and Emmanuel Macron to be both distasteful and irrelevant. I also note that the equal age disparity between the Trumps seems to garner none of the attention, indicative of a a rather repugnant, gender-based, double standard.

I think that this is rather the entire point of the thread.

I'm curious what the French perspective on Macron's relationship is. I hadn't heard of it before I saw the thread, but I would think something similar in the U.S. would be very scandalous and a topic of a lot of vulgar jokes.
I asked a French friend of mine and her answer was one of those eloquent Gallic shrugs. It just doesn't seem to be a big deal.

Archibald

Banned
I second that point of view with even louder gallic shrugs.
:p
My personal feeling is that Macron is a brilliant mind that found another brilliant mind in his theater teacher, and the two fell in love and remained so. They just match intellectually, and that made them happy together. when you see things from that perspective, the age difference is irrelevant.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078122/

Ok, serious question: am I the only person left in the world that thinks falling in love with your student as a teacher and then breaking up an existing family with kids to run off with your decades-younger lover is seriously not cool?

Archibald and Rest of the gang here, please calm down !

This escalating Macron argumentation is senseless, because We got a POTUS who has age difference of 24 years with his wife.

Donald Trump (age 70) and Melania Trump (age 47)

and it seem no one has a problem with that...

Archibald and Rest of the gang here, please calm down !

This escalating Macron argumentation is senseless, because We got a POTUS who has age difference of 24 years with his wife.

Donald Trump (age 70) and Melania Trump (age 47)

and it seem no one has a problem with that...

Agree. All seems whining age gap between Macron and his wife but all ignore age gap between D. and M. Trump. And there is presidential couples whose have even bigger age gp.

Ok, serious question: am I the only person left in the world that thinks falling in love with your student as a teacher and then breaking up an existing family with kids to run off with your decades-younger lover is seriously not cool?

Sorry for double post...
Well, there's the part where one of the kids was actually a fellow classmate of Macron's...
But the kids actually went with her as part of the marriage, and actually helped Macron during his campaign...
Yes, even that ex-classmate apparently...

I don't know about Europe, but in many American states there are laws against people with authority over youths having sex with them, even if over age of consent. Generally the courts are more lenient when the adult with authority is female, but there certainly are female teachers serving time for it.

I don't know about Europe, but in many American states there are laws against people with authority over youths having sex with them, even if over age of consent. Generally the courts are more lenient when the adult with authority is female, but there certainly are female teachers serving time for it.

I believe there are such laws in France, although I could be mistaken.

Sorry for double post...
Well, there's the part where one of the kids was actually a fellow classmate of Macron's...
But the kids actually went with her as part of the marriage, and actually helped Macron during his campaign...
Yes, even that ex-classmate apparently...

I'm not sure whether this makes it less screwed up...

I'm not sure whether this makes it less screwed up...

As my parents said, this was basically straight out of a movie...
Also, they're going to whine at me over this...
"Look at him, he's president at the age of 39, and was a research assistant to a famous philosopher at your age [22]! What have you done with your life, other than lazing around on the computer like a piece of wood and only getting a job because of nepotism?!"

Ak-84

Banned
Didn't Macron himself point out that hypocrisy there?
Obviously without explicitly referring to Trump, but still...
There is no hypocrisy. Melania was in her thirties when she married Don the Con, he did not start dating her when she was 15.
Much more importantly, no one has ever put Trump forward as an ideal of matrimony. His marriages have been made fun of on average every night on TV.

Ak-84

Banned
I second that point of view with even louder gallic shrugs.
:p
My personal feeling is that Macron is a brilliant mind that found another brilliant mind in his theater teacher, and the two fell in love and remained so. They just match intellectually, and that made them happy together. when you see things from that perspective, the age difference is irrelevant.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078122/
He was 15, she was 39. No matter how brilliant, 15 year old boys are basically walking erections and are not known for their emotional maturity,