AHC/PC/WI: Canal Connecting The Indus and Ganges Rivers

TinyTartar

Banned
Wouldn't this be offensive to Hindus?

I think the Ganges is considered to be sacred or something. By altering the river in some form, or connecting it unnaturally to the Indus, I'd have to think that this would offend someone.

TinyTartar

Banned
Weren't dams built around the river?

Probably. I don't really know exactly how it works, but I just thought that doing this would be seen as "diluting" the Ganges or something like that.

Maybe Hinduism isn't that literal; I admit to having little knowledge of the exact beliefs regarding the Ganges.

After doing ten minutes research, I found that the waters of the Indus and Ganges are joined, but the Jumna river that I know is now called Yamuna, and the connection to the Indus is via the Lost Saraswati River, which is underground, making navigation difficult. The Monsoon doesn't help either.

After doing ten minutes research, I found that the waters of the Indus and Ganges are joined, but the Jumna river that I know is now called Yamuna, and the connection to the Indus is via the Lost Saraswati River, which is underground, making navigation difficult. The Monsoon doesn't help either.

So they were at one point connected underground by a lost river whose connection was essentially impossible to realize. Is it really connected?

There is a small gap between the two river basins where Chandigarh lies. Maybe a canal can be dug there.

detailed_topographical_map_of_india.jpg