AHC: Make Ronald Reagan a Contender for the Worst President

I am not a fan of Reagan. I actually think Carter is better than him. Anyways, Reagan is considered the darling of most Americans and is always ranked highly on most people's list.
While his legacy is mixed, this challenge is to make him one of the worst presidents.
Bonus points if Carter is seen as one of the greatest

I am not a fan of Reagan. I actually think Carter is better than him. Anyways, Reagan is considered the darling of most Americans and is always ranked highly on most people's list.
While his legacy is mixed, this challenge is to make him one of the worst presidents.
I can't wait for someone to come by and say "but isn't he already one of the worst?" or something like that, but for a more serious suggestions:

Reagan wins the republican nomination over Ford and the election of 1976 overall, however deals with many of the issues Carter had OTL (crappy economy, hostage crisis, etc.). Later, Carter bounces back in 1980 (somehow) and wins the election over Reagan, ensuring a successful democratic 80s.

The economy goes to total shit in the early 1980s and doesn’t recover, and the Russians get lucky in Afghanistan while bin Laden, under Reagan’s command, still survives and lives to form al-Qaeda.

Also, some mental patients booted out under budget cuts cause severe havoc but are stopped by potheads.

But mostly bad economy and bad times fighting the USSR.

I can't wait for someone to come by and say "but isn't he already one of the worst?" or something like that, but for a more serious suggestions:

Reagan wins the republican nomination over Ford and the election of 1976 overall, however deals with many of the issues Carter had OTL (crappy economy, hostage crisis, etc.). Later, Carter bounces back in 1980 (somehow) and wins the election over Reagan, ensuring a successful democratic 80s.

Nah, Walter Mondale gets the 1980 nomination. Then on September 19, the Titan II missile accident in Arkansas somehow results in a 10 MT groundburst. Note that Mondale was flying to a campaign event in Little Rock that evening...

Have Reagan mishandle the Mexican Peso Crisis, causing the collapse of the international financial system and Mexico, while engendering an explosion in narcotics trafficking which will devastate communities in the United States worse than the crack epidemic:
In the mid 1970s, the United States had added to its woes of recession those of inflation, due in considerable measure to OPEC’s success in raising oil prices. To “whip inflation now,” the Federal Reserve Bank helmed by Chairman Paul Volcker began to raise interest rates, eventually driving the prime rate from 12 percent to 21 percent. By 1980, this had precipitated a far deeper downturn, which did lower inflation, but only by driving up unemployment to levels not seen since the Great Depression of the 1930s.

The recession Volcker engineered in the US had an even more devastating impact on Mexico, as the interest rate on rolling over its short term loans nearly doubled. By 1982, simply meeting interest payments would have required more than $8 billion per year. Worse, just as expenses soared, oil prices sagged. Mexico made clear it could no longer make its interest payments. US banks were terrified. Thirteen of the biggest stood to collectively lose $60 billion if Mexico went under — 48 percent of their combined capital. And if Mexico fell, most of Latin America would come tumbling down behind it, likely triggering a collapse of the entire international financial system. The United States, accordingly, put together a multi-billion-dollar package of loans and credits, and worked out an unofficial debt moratorium.

The World Bank and IMF were wheeled in to provide Mexico with emergency loans with which to resume paying the US banks, rescuing them from their own recklessness. These institutions in turn — following the model first worked out in New York’s fiscal crisis in 1975 — now imposed “structural adjustment” on Mexico. The creditors demanded privatization of public services, cuts in government social programs, a wider opening to foreign investment, and a ruthless concentration on paying back loans and interest. This arm-twisting was given an ideological gloss, reviving hoary shibboleths about the inherent superiority of market over state, repackaged as “neoliberalism.”

Executing these demands fell first to President de la Madrid and then to his successor Carlos Salinas de Gortari (1988–1994). Both believed the state apparatus was a burden upon Mexican business that should be thrown off, along with much else in the Partido Revolucionario Institucional (PRI) inherited project and ideology. Structural adjustment prompted privatization, the opening of the country to foreign investment, and the reorientation of the agricultural sector towards exports. The 1980s were known as la Década Perdida, or “lost decade,” wherein 800,000 jobs evaporated and dispossessed farmers streamed into urban centers.

"My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes."
...and he’s not joking.

ASB. The Gipper can do no wrong.

If he won in '76, the Iran hostage crisis happens, and his military intervention goes bad--so he throws more force in, and it cascades...
Almost any strong military action has a chance to cause things to go VERY wrong. The wrong action afterwards can make it get orders of magnitude worse.
If Grenada was anticipated, and the attack ran into heavy fore by prepared defenses...
EDIT: If you want a decent Carter presidency, in "The Masquerade," which is my ongoing ASB timeline, Carter's looking at a good chance of being reelected. Currently, the Republican primary is heavily contested; Bush, Reagan, Anderson and Helms all have won primaries)and the debris is settling from an attack as bad as 9/11.

Last edited:
Have him commit treason while in office. Maybe by selling weapons to America's enemies and using the proceeds to arm a bunch of rapists and baby-killers in some far flung South American country.

For this, it'd be better if Reagan was obviously the aggressor, instead of having the war spring from a bunch of accidents and misunderstandings with the Soviets throwing the first punch.
But not necessary. If the cities of America are smoking ruins because of the Reagan arms race and "evil empire" rhetoric then I doubt many people are going to say what a great President he was.

But not necessary. If the cities of America are smoking ruins because of the Reagan arms race and "evil empire" rhetoric then I doubt many people are going to say what a great President he was.

But they might say that given the longstanding tensions, a war was inevitable and it would be stupid to blame one unlucky President. That's why I think it's crucial to ensure that the conflict is seen as avoidable but for Reagan's stupidity/zealotry.

I don't think Reagan is that widely revered in the U.S. Conservatives consider him an icon, but liberals are just as likely to emphasize high deficits, Iran-Contra, the AIDS crisis, and his exaggerated role in ending the Cold War. Most people I know liked Reagan as a person and thought he did an okay job, but rarely do I meet someone who gushes over him or ranks him alongside Washington and Lincoln.

A worse AIDS epidemic. Either that or the administration's response is much more tone deaf than in OTL.

Back in the 1980s, people saw AIDS as something only gay men and IV drug users got (in the early 80s it was briefly called GRID for Gay Related Immune Disease, IIRC.) It wasn’t until the 90s that people really understood that straight people are just as vulnerable.

Magic Johnson contracting it was a major turning point there, so the POD may be a straight celebrity getting it a decade before Magic did.

And if Reagan fucks that up the way he did OTL, he probably gets a second term but has a lot of people sick of him by 1988 and he torpedoes HW becoming President. Even Gary Hart beats him (or Dukakis if he can campaign worth a shit.)

Well, you could have him sell weapons to American enemies, use the proceeds to back a bunch of monsters in another country. That should...wait no he did that.

He could drastically worsen economic inequality by slashing taxes while simultaneously spending more of weapons and...no thst happened too.

Uh...he could ignore a pandemic because he wanted it to kill homosexuals for no reason but bigotry, while disciplining the surgeon general when th man tried to speak out on the subject.No wait. THAT HAPPENED TOO.

Ronald Reagan WAS one of the worst presidents the US has ever had. It’s telling that the most common suggestion so far to make him even worse is literally wiping out the human race.