AHC: King of ALL the Saxons

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: Before 1900' started by SealTheRealDeal, Sep 5, 2019.

1. SealTheRealDeal Well-Known Member

With any early modern PoD unite England, Hanover, and Saxony under a single monarch.

2. Analytical Engine Monarchist Collectivist Federalist

Does it matter how each of these states are included?

For example, is it ok to have a Hohenzollern UK, in which Prussia has annexed Hanover and Saxony?

3. SealTheRealDeal Well-Known Member

I suppose technically that would satisfy the OP, but I feel that wouldn't really meet the spirit of it, given that Prussia is liable to extinguish the royal titles of Hanover and Saxony.

4. Skallagrim Not the one from YouTube. Different other fellow.

"King of all the Saxons", my arse.

Unless you include Westphalia, Oldenburg, Holstein, Bremen, Hamburg, Brunswick and the North-Eastern Netherlands, you are not king of all the Saxons by a long shot. :cool:

PrinceSheo, Gokbay, ook and 7 others like this.
  5. BlackCataphract576 Member

Maybe get the Wettins to the throne of England, somehow. I don't know how that would be done but I don't see a reason that would make it impossible. Or keep Saxony and Hannover united as a big Saxony with an early POD and then it gets into a personal union with England.

Gokbay likes this.
  6. GauchoBadger Representative of Gamers to Society

This meme was made by Welf Gang.

7. SealTheRealDeal Well-Known Member

Westphalians are Saxons?

8. LeCHVCK Well-Known Member

In contrast to the people from the modern state of Saxony Westphalians used to speak low German, and were part of the original stem duchy. The horses on the coat of arms of Lower Saxony and of NRW are actually the same horse. Widukind is allegedly from Westphalia.
    After the demise of Henry the Lion the duchy of Saxony was broken up and eventually the Margrave of Mei├čen inherited the title.

9. JackLumber Mildly belligerent Canuck

Most of northern Germany are saxons

SealTheRealDeal likes this.
  10. LostInNewDelhi Anarcho-Shaivist

I assumed they'd be Franconians, especially past the Rhine-- though maybe that applies only to Swabia and adjacent lands? At any rate, what are Brandenburgers and other trans-Elbe Germans classified as? And when did these Marcher populations get to be considered different from Saxons-- does it go as far back as the stem duchies' initial campaigns against the Wends?

11. Chrispi Byzantine Logothete

That damn Salic Law, always mucking things up! :angry:

12. kholieken Well-Known Member

East Elbians are not Saxons. They originally Sorbs, Veleti, and other tribes. They Christianized and Germanized later.

kasumigenx likes this.
  13. JackLumber Mildly belligerent Canuck

They would be mixed and if it walks like a saxon and talks like a saxon, it's a saxon.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  14. LeCHVCK Well-Known Member

I think the only feasible way to do this is to prevent the duchy of Saxony from breaking up. So Henry the Lion has to win his conflict with Barbarossa.

Gokbay likes this.
  15. Prince de Pringondani Well-Known Member

All the Sons of Henru II and Eleanora die without male heirs so the Welfs become Kings of England.They don't loose the Duchy of Saxony so case is closed:biggrin:

Gokbay and Taddle-Brave like this.
  16. Mr_Fanboy Well-Known Member

The Transylvania Saxons feel awfully left out of this discussion thus far.

17. Gokbay Well-Known Member, apparently huh...

Have the Welf Kings of England and Dukes of Saxony become King of Hungary. Problem solved.

GauchoBadger likes this.
  18. Kerney defender of low probability atls everywhere

The child of Mary Tudor and Phillip the Second is the only heir left alive for the HRE, Spain, and England.

Understand this is spitball answer and I'm not an expert at HRE inheritance, but if this holds, said son presses his claim to France and Europe stays peaceful and happy forever more. They also drive the Ottomans back and add the Transylvanian Saxons.

Gokbay likes this.
  19. Euphemios Well-Known Member

Saxe-Coburg Gotha is an Ernestine branch of the house of Wettin.