AHC: King of ALL the Saxons

Does it matter how each of these states are included?

For example, is it ok to have a Hohenzollern UK, in which Prussia has annexed Hanover and Saxony?

Does it matter how each of these states are included?

For example, is it ok to have a Hohenzollern UK, in which Prussia has annexed Hanover and Saxony?
I suppose technically that would satisfy the OP, but I feel that wouldn't really meet the spirit of it, given that Prussia is liable to extinguish the royal titles of Hanover and Saxony.

Skallagrim

Banned
"King of all the Saxons", my arse.

Unless you include Westphalia, Oldenburg, Holstein, Bremen, Hamburg, Brunswick and the North-Eastern Netherlands, you are not king of all the Saxons by a long shot. :cool:

Maybe get the Wettins to the throne of England, somehow. I don't know how that would be done but I don't see a reason that would make it impossible. Or keep Saxony and Hannover united as a big Saxony with an early POD and then it gets into a personal union with England.

Westphalians are Saxons?
In contrast to the people from the modern state of Saxony Westphalians used to speak low German, and were part of the original stem duchy. The horses on the coat of arms of Lower Saxony and of NRW are actually the same horse. Widukind is allegedly from Westphalia.
After the demise of Henry the Lion the duchy of Saxony was broken up and eventually the Margrave of Meißen inherited the title.

Unless you include Westphalia, Oldenburg, Holstein, Bremen, Hamburg, Brunswick and the North-Eastern Netherlands, you are not king of all the Saxons by a long shot. :cool:

Most of northern Germany are saxons

I assumed they'd be Franconians, especially past the Rhine-- though maybe that applies only to Swabia and adjacent lands? At any rate, what are Brandenburgers and other trans-Elbe Germans classified as? And when did these Marcher populations get to be considered different from Saxons-- does it go as far back as the stem duchies' initial campaigns against the Wends?

kholieken

Banned
East Elbians are not Saxons. They originally Sorbs, Veleti, and other tribes. They Christianized and Germanized later.

I think the only feasible way to do this is to prevent the duchy of Saxony from breaking up. So Henry the Lion has to win his conflict with Barbarossa.

The child of Mary Tudor and Phillip the Second is the only heir left alive for the HRE, Spain, and England.

Understand this is spitball answer and I'm not an expert at HRE inheritance, but if this holds, said son presses his claim to France and Europe stays peaceful and happy forever more. They also drive the Ottomans back and add the Transylvanian Saxons.