AHC: Hindustan

All of South Asia must be having muslim majority of over 99% and all countries except Afghanistan should be united with the name Hindustan.

How different would our world be, Would British still colonize the area, what its relationship with other nations would be

Isaac Beach

Banned
All of South Asia must be having muslim majority of over 99% and all countries except Afghanistan should be united with the name Hindustan.

How different would our world be, Would British still colonize the area, what its relationship with other nations would be

Why on Earth would a 99% Muslim majority nation call itself Hindustan?

I agree it seems unlikely, however in all fairness after Muslim conquest Persia/I aran continued to have the identity of that name despite the fact those names are associated with Indo-European mythology and native groups in opposition to the new religious identity that came from a semitic base.

If I'm not mistaken, the Hindu part of Hindustan actually refers to the Arabic word for the Indian subcontinent, "al-Hind". I guess what you would need is a much stronger proselyting spirit among the Muslim rulers of India, though this would endanger their position. It's really only possible from the Mughal Empire onward, before then the Muslims of the subcontinent seemed too separated into the various sultanates.

I don't see this happening without tremendous bloodshed or at least the kind of repression that would make Aurangzeb wince however.

Hindus are a cultural term, it was used by persians to tell people who were from the river Indus and Beyond. The religion was called Hindus only around the 18th century, It was called Sanata Dharma. many muslims in India used to refer their empire including Mughals as Hindustan

99% requires mass genocide, 80% does not(still probably there would more than IOTL but not mass).

Sorry, not happening.

Basically this requires way more heavy-handed and thoroughly unpleasant authorial intervention in history than even Confederate victory TLs.. I'm calling ultra-implausible (do you think the Hindus &c. will just sit there while their friends are being slaughtered, castrated or forced to recite the Shahada at the point of a spear?), because while it's not ASB (that basically involves violation of the known laws of physics), My point is basically that your previous thread is at least plausible -- it's plausible to imagine a Muslim minority the size of the Christian ones with quite plausible PoDs. Just have a serious opponent control the passes into India or have a kingdom powerful and rich enough to run a Beacons of Gondor-style beacon system to vector forces to intercept attackers. Indeed such an India would be genuinely extremely interesting! Go write that one, just not this one.

This seems unlikely for one reason: very few Moslem countries have become 99% Moslem.

A few have, but most (even some of the oldest) have retained large non-Moslem minorities, or did until massive population exchanges in the 20th century (Pakistan, Turkey). Most Moslem rulers have been content to rule over lots of infidels, just taxing them heavily.

This has been especially true of populous countries, and South Asia (by which I assume is meant the "Indian subcontinent") was certainly populous from an early date.

I think perhaps the PoD has to be a change in the way Islam is structured and preached, in South Asia or maybe more areas, such that it becomes more aggressive and more successful in conversion in Moslem-ruled lands.

It could be something as off-the-wall as a Moslem religious order which specializes in preaching to infidels, and gets really good at it. Or a Moslem regime or movement which preaches an economic or social doctrine that attracts the lower classes of non-Moslem populations (some kind of land reform movement that draws in vast numbers of Hindu peasants and deposes Hindu landowners and nobles).

I too second the opinion of NavesFerata. A Muslim majority of 99% is not only ASB, but also unattractive. The individuality of India lies in its unique culture and that's mainly Hindu. A Muslim India would be just a larger Pakistan or Indonesia, just another one among more than fifty plus Muslim countries. Even a Buddhist India will be more attractive than a Muslim India, as Buddhism originated in India.

I too second the opinion of NavesFerata. A Muslim majority of 99% is not only ASB, but also unattractive. The individuality of India lies in its unique culture and that's mainly Hindu. A Muslim India would be just a larger Pakistan or Indonesia, just another one among more than fifty plus Muslim countries. Even a Buddhist India will be more attractive than a Muslim India, as Buddhism originated in India.

Pakistan is not Indonesia is not Iran is not Saudi Arabia is not Morocco is not Mali. I think Indian culture would be plenty diverse and distinctive even if the vast majority of Indians were Muslim.

99% is highly implausible, but figures like Indonesia's should be doable with the right set of circumstances.
Probably requires different policies during the Muslim conquest of the subcontinent, less of a "conqueror-conquered" divide so to speak.
Maybe an earlier Mongol invasion that leads to an earlier *Mughal khaganate? Don't know.