AHC: have a revolutionary succeed that didn’t IOTL

the modern era is all about determined revolutionaries making their mark on the world (well, it’s fun to read about it, in any case)

In this thread, I would like to challenge anyone to cause a determined revolutionary, who failed (and maybe faded into obscurity?) IOTL, to succeed in another timeline. Feel free to discuss context and after-effects.

also note, the word “revolutionary” can be interpreted anyway you want- you have an inspired military thinker who never got a chance to try out his revolutionary military doctrine? Now is your chance to see him shine!

I don't kno which to do. Debs or Rosa.
Rosa is fun. You got to polish Jewish woman slightly handicapped taking on fucking proto Nazis. It's fun

Deb's honestly helps America when it really needs it

Rosa is fun. You got to polish Jewish woman slightly handicapped taking on fucking proto Nazis. It's fun

Huh, I didn’t know she had a (slight) handicap. But to your comment, I could see Rosa having success if some things go differently, but the most I can see for Debs is that he’s a lot more popular in ATL (which could cause a more leftward turn for American politics going forward!) Some sort of serious crisis would have to happen in America for Debs to consider seizing power outside of the ballot box, I think.

Huh, I didn’t know she had a (slight) handicap.

Yeap one leg shorter than the other
Learned that from the quest on SV

Communist Polish, jewish disabled vocal anti war protester and woman

The aoc of her day ( in the absolute undeniable conduit of hatred by the reactionaries )

But to your comment, I could see Rosa having success if some things go differently,
Yes

but the most I can see for Debs is that he’s a lot more popular in ATL (which could cause a more leftward turn for American politics going forward!) Some sort of serious crisis would have to happen in America for Debs to consider seizing power outside of the ballot box, I think.
The thing is id rather he win democratically through the people will

As marx thought highly of America for democratic ideals.

The thing is id rather he win democratically through the people will

As marx thought highly of America for democratic ideals.

I really admire debs, he is an endless reservoir for inspiring quotes. This one by him speaks to his thoughts on revolutions I believe:

“I am not a Labor Leader; I do not want you to follow me or anyone else; if you are looking for a Moses to lead you out of this capitalist wilderness, you will stay right where you are. I would not lead you into the promised land if I could, because if I led you in, some one else would lead you out.”

so yeah, Debs will only be a leader if democratic will thrusts that title upon him. His thing was to educate and raise class consciousness among the working class, and he would continue to do that as long as he is able to.

“I am not a Labor Leader; I do not want you to follow me or anyone else; if you are looking for a Moses to lead you out of this capitalist wilderness, you will stay right where you are. I would not lead you into the promised land if I could, because if I led you in, some one else would lead you out.”
Stealing that for a fanfic.

*Most* determined revolutionaries failed. That's why we never hear about them.
Yes you are correct, I am sure for every successful revolutionary, there are hundreds if not thousands of failed ones, most of which history has forgotten. The ones that didn’t succeed, but became known enough that history saved a space for them, are very interesting to think about, and imagine how they could have succeeded (if they ever had a chance) and what they would have done

I’m surprised no one mentioned Che Guevara in Bolivia
Wasnt that close OTL, but not dying may provide some butterflies.

Edit: wrote Colombia and not Bolivia first time.

Last edited:

Anti-communist =/= Pro-Nazi. Not every German right-winger in 1918 went on to be a member of the Nazi party.

I’m surprised no one mentioned Che Guevara in Colombia.
Wasnt that close OTL, but not dying may provide some butterflies
Yeah Che was the first one that came to mind but I was thinking him being more successful in Bolivia. After failing in the Congo it would be interesting to see the consequences of him being successful once again in Latin America. Which countries would he* try next?

Last edited:
Diem succeeds in wiping out the Southern Cadres of the Vietnamese Workers Party, and is able to focus on implementing his Personalist Revolution.

Yeah Che was the first one that came to mind but I was thinking him being more successful in Bolivia. After failing in the Congo it would be interesting to see the consequences of him being successful once again in Latin America. Which countries would he* try next?
Sorry, meant Bolivia. But yes, thats my take as well. One more revolution on his belt and he becomes a really disruptive figure