AHC: Atheist assemblies with with a more traditional and strict imagery, and style of service

In recent years, several Atheist congregations appeared for people who don't believe in a deity, but want to adhere to the perceived positive effects of belonging to an organized religion and attending church, mostly its social aspects. Unitarian Universalism can be considered a kind of forerunner to these movements, but a prominent recent example is Sunday Assembly.

What seems to be a common feature of these new Atheist assemblies is that they seem to draw their imagery and style of service heavily from Pentecostalism. E.g. they hold their meetings in a very modern-looking assembly hall, have all kinds of songs, including rock music with electric guitars, people attend in informal clothing, and there is much audience participation with cheering, dancing etc.

Your challenge is, instead of this OTL style, have these Atheist communities develop a style that is more reminiscent of Calvinism and Islam.

For example, people attend in modest and formal clothes, or even robe-like uniforms that makes them look all equal. Loud modern music is replaced with acapella chants. Dancing and cheering is replaced with quiet listening and many chances for inward reflection, meditation and contemplative thinking.

Do you think this is a possible development? Would the membership of these Atheist congregations increase or decrease if they were like this?

Last edited:
Have God-Building become a successful trend in the Soviet Union. Then have the Soviet Union and the US develop cordial relations, possibly through preventing the Cold War or resolving it Co-Dominion style. As a result, Soviet secular religions become an inspiration for Atheist and Humanist communities in the USA.

Have God-Building become a successful trend in the Soviet Union. Then have the Soviet Union and the US develop cordial relations, possibly through preventing the Cold War or resolving it Co-Dominion style. As a result, Soviet secular religions become an inspiration for Atheist and Humanist communities in the USA.

Interesting idea! I've never heard about this "God-Building" phenomenon in the SU before.

Insider

Banned
i realise that Wikipedia may not be most reliable source but it seems that there is Franco - Brazilian atheist cult called "religion of humanity"(sic!). Or it is well done and elaborate hoax.
Religion of Humanity (from French Religion de l'Humanité or église positiviste) is a secular religion created by Auguste Comte, the founder of positivist philosophy. Adherents of this religion have built chapels of Humanity in France and Brazil.[1]
They are quite old, being first created in 1850's. Have France beat Prussia in 1870 (perhaps Austro-Hungary honour their alliance with France?), and richer and more influential France promotes its culture, and their style of atheism.

I must say that idea of contemplating absence of something is weird to me, but thats just personal opinion.

No, they are not a hoax at all. As the article says, founded by Comte, with a following among elites in Brazil, their slogans even gracing the Brazilian flag. I read somewhere that at one time the head of sociology at Harvard was an adherent, and he sent a letter to the president suggesting that the sociology department be put in charge of all the other departments(or maybe just the social science and humanities), in line with Comte's views. As you can guess, he was turned down.

Herbert Marcuse wrote somewhere that Positivism was basically just fighting the battle against religion that had dominated the French Revolutionary Era, but during a period when that battle had been superseded by other, more pertinent ones. Or something to that effect.

"The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." -- Thomas Paine

Maybe we can use this for something?

Oh, and when I hear "God building", I wonder whether they mean "building an AI".
Given enough time in a world where the God-Builders were successful who knows? There were a lot of out there ideas floating about in the early USSR. Actually surprised that hasn't shown up in A Martian Stranded on Earth yet.

Could be a good premise for an alternate history post-apocalyptic story, where the USSR embraced cybernetics and the survivors of the apocalypse worship the AIs that manage the economy as benevolent deities that watch over and guide them.

It wouldn't be 'atheism', it would an atheist religion in the style of a civic religion. It may call itself Atheism.

Atheism by itself doesn't imply any form of practice.

edit in italics

In recent years, several Atheist congregations appeared for people who don't believe in a deity, but want to adhere to the perceived positive effects of belonging to an organized religion and attending church, mostly its social aspects. Unitarian Universalism can be considered a kind of forerunner to these movements, but a prominent recent example is Sunday Assembly.

If they are interested in the social aspects there are already a number of non-religious alternatives which exist. I've heard of this thing called the 'pub' where like minded people congretate to talk, enjoy each other's company and consume alcoholic beverages.

While I joke slightly with the above. Essentially what I'm trying to say that from my perspective the social gathering aspect is already covered by pubs, clubs (not that sort) and other societies that people join.

If they are interested in the social aspects there are already a number of non-religious alternatives which exist. I've heard of this thing called the 'pub' where like minded people congretate to talk, enjoy each other's company and consume alcoholic beverages.

While I joke slightly with the above. Essentially what I'm trying to say that from my perspective the social gathering aspect is already covered by pubs, clubs (not that sort) and other societies that people join.

I still think the sober evening activity slot is under-represented. In the Big City, maybe not. Everywhere else you have the option of finding a quiet pub or a late opening cafe.

It wouldn't be 'atheism', it would an atheist religion in the style of a civic religion. It may call itself Atheism.

Atheism by itself doesn't imply any form of practice.

There are already people talking about being "asexual" or "aromantic", which are two different things, obviously.

Maybe we should start to talk about "atheists" and "apracticists" as well?

There are already people talking about being "asexual" or "aromantic", which are two different things, obviously.

They aren't quite like atheism. An asexual is not a person to whom sexuality has not been sufficiently demonstrated. An atheist is a person who is unconvinced by arguments for the existence of a deity.

Maybe we should start to talk about "atheists" and "apracticists" as well?

Maybe. But nobody has no practices. Atheists are distinguished by their lack of belief in a deity.

Arguably it is not the same kind of socialization. In a pub, or a similar setting you get intoxicated on alcohol, let go of your inhibitions, there is a general 'party atmosphere' you unconsciously take part of, music is heard, there are games to play etc.

In a church-like setting on the other hand, whether it is a place of worship or one of these "non-religious congregations", you usually stay sober, behave in a modest, serious, and demure manner, and raising your voice and displaying any kind of sexual behavior is frowned upon. Because of this, a more ascetic and introspective atmosphere is created, in which the mind, rather than the body is given prominience.

Arguably it is not the same kind of socialization. In a pub, or a similar setting you get intoxicated on alcohol, let go of your inhibitions, there is a general 'party atmosphere' you unconsciously take part of, music is heard, there are games to play etc.

In a church-like setting on the other hand, whether it is a place of worship or one of these "non-religious congregations", you usually stay sober, behave in a modest, serious, and demure manner, and raising your voice and displaying any kind of sexual behavior is frowned upon. Because of this, a more ascetic and introspective atmosphere is created, in which the mind, rather than the body is given prominience.

Then you will need more of a Platonic religion to come about. I feel like most atheists I know would rather just go out into the woods to clear their mind than sit in a room full of strangers singing "Atheist Hymns" and overall just looking at each other awkwardly.

EDIT: I quoted the wrong post but I guess my remark still stands.

Kinky weird or weird weird?

Weird weird, but knowing LaVeyan thought, it would eventually become kinky weird. As aforementioned, people don't wanna just go into a room full of people and just stare at each other and think.