I've found the idea of a hybrid Christianity/Arthur Cult could form in Britain and adopted as part of British culture really interesting as a dramatically Syncretic faith for the British Isles.

Essentially whilst Piety is the remit of Saints and the Christian Church, it has a counterpart in Arthurian Paragons (of which Arthur or one of his knights is the quintessential one), fulfilling concepts that we'd probably consider Honour, Glory, Skill, and to a lesser extent piety.

So Saints are Church-Sponsored, Paragons are essentially Heroes of Pagan Myth.

I'd also love to see it combine huge aspects of British Folk myths (i.e. Fairies, Lady of the Lake, Druids, Sorcerers, etc) - treating them not as an Evil counterpart, but simply an equal counterpart.

So this is as much "How could it form", but a measure of collective design - what could the Canon be, what could it adopt from other cultures it interacts with over time - and what sub-factions are there? (i.e. are there Arthurian Purists, vs Galahad-Primacy, vs Merlin-Cults.

If the monks at Glastonbury Abbey could sway popular opinion (and Richard I too) sufficiently with their "discovery" of Arthur's tomb and get him canonized somehow, he might be able to supplant both St. Alban and St. George as "St. Arthur".

I think you'd need a fairly early PoD, certainly far prior to the papacy getting the strength it had around the start of the 2nd millenium.

Enough Britons to drive the Anglo-Saxons back to the sea or subjugate them are unified by a charismatic man who claims descent from one of Arthur's companions (not really knights this early on) and acts as a sort of messiah of this cult?

The defeated Saxons find this semi-pagan warrior cult which defeated them more worthy of joining than the feeble god of forgiveness?

In the Middle Ages nearly anybody of sufficient popularity who was considered "good" seems to have been made a saint. As Tom Colton above notes, making Arthur a saint or even have him be England's patron saint probably wouldn't be too difficult. But that alone wouldn't make a Arthurian cult.

I'd also love to see it combine huge aspects of British Folk myths (i.e. Fairies, Lady of the Lake, Druids, Sorcerers, etc) - treating them not as an Evil counterpart, but simply an equal counterpart.

If you look at the Arthurian legends the roles of various characters show that things like pagan ideas and symbols still carried a great deal of weight in British culture around the time of the legends' appearance and growth. At the same time legal codes regarding witchcraft and the popularity of Cunning Folk demonstrate a fairly widespread belief in magic and the supernatural among the general public. The Lady of the Lake and the Green Man for example are very clearly drawn from much older pagan mythology and are treated with a great deal of respect and certainly not as evil even when they oppose Arthur. "Cultural paganism" survived in Britain for centuries (without conflict with Christianity) through traditions and traditional beliefs and carried many of the beliefs and practices that you're discussing.

Honestly though, I think that the biggest obstacle to an Arthurian Cult is that people probably didn't think that they were anything other than fables.
http://www.medievalists.net/2016/07/did-medieval-people-believe-in-king-arthur/

Maybe, and this is a bit of a stretch, you could have Henry VIII canonise Arthur after establishing his own Church. Part of his justification for breaking with Rome was that the English crown was descended from Arthur's Empire and Empires were above the authority of Popes therefore he didn't have to answer to the Pope. By establishing Arthur as a Saint he would be both affirming the historical existence of Arthur, which strengthens his legal claims, and creating a popular icon of support.

OTL, the Matter of Arthur as we know it today was largely envisioned by medieval troubadours in the French tradition, and the nobles who patronized the Arthurian cycle were Norman French. They may have liked the timing of the legends to be pre-Anglo-Saxon, which made the English people they had subjugated the bad guys and the French invaders--some of whom had ties to Brittany, where some native Britons had fled the wave of germanic invaders who became the "English," as the vicarious heirs of the Arthurian days.

So--insofar as the chivalric troubadour traditions were an alternative to strict and proper Christianity as preached by the Church in their times, the romances were something of a heresy in their day OTL.

To take it farther, the tradition would have to put down deeper grassroots in the common folk, whereas the Matter of Arthur was popular among protective ruling classes in England precisely because it set the nobility apart from, and above, the common English masses. Over time to be sure the common English came to accept Arthurian romance as part of their own heritage and not an opposition to it, but I suspect by the time that fusion was properly accomplished (we can see it in Chaucer's time, particularly in the more Northern and less Frenchified Sir Gawain and the Green Knight) England and Europe in general were nearing the end of the Medieval period and verging on an era where religious upheaval would take a more Protestant sort of form.

Conceivably one might have some sort of anti-Protestantism, insofar as one categorizes Protestantism as a tendency to "purify" Christianity to a more austere, pruned Gospel/Augustinian viewpoint of strict monotheism suspicious of the quasi-pagan elaborations of classic Catholicism, so that Anglicanism is on one end of the spectrum and such Calvinists as ruled in Scotland are on another end. Supposing some proto-Protestant "heresy" removed Britain from the Catholic ambit as early as say 1400 or so, somehow, and in reaction the common people, not as prepared for such separation as they would be in Elizabeth's day OTL, along with dissident factions of nobles, were forced to develop a counterculture underground mimicking and maintaining the syncretism and pageantry of Roman Catholicism but prevented from simply declaring themselves Catholics in rebellion. Possibly, if the British authorities of the "Protestant" cult were strong enough to deny dissenters contact and communication with the Roman church and yet not able to bring them around to supporting the state cult, a counter cult based on a hodgepodge of Arthurian romance and folk memory of Catholic practice and doctrine might emerge, and given enough time--say to 1650 or so--to fester as a repressed folk religion, whereupon the repressive central regime collapses somewhere in England and the populist Arthurians manage to come to power at last and find to their shock and horror their evolved faith is incompatible with the Roman church they had always believed themselves faithful to, the alternate creed might at long last have a seat and a shot at becoming the state religion in Britain, if the Arthurians manage to overwhelm the heirs of the Proto-Protestants.

Or maybe it is more plausible that at some point the proto-Protestant regime moves on to new generations that don't feel as driven to impose their theology on the resistant masses, and do think that if the British people are not Catholics that would be good enough, and tolerate open Arthurianism (as the post-Glorious-Revolution Orangeist/Hanoverian UK resolved to tolerate Catholicism OTL--at arms length, with great suspicion and within tight limits) hoping it will displace actual Catholicism from returning, which it does, and then over time the Arthurians gain the upper hand in the realm.

I can see them instituting a new grass roots dynasty raised out of some dissenting country noble line, naming their sons with royal ambitions names like Arthur, Gawain, Galahad--not so sure if any prince would ever be named "Lancelot" though, it would be a little bit like naming a kid "Judas!" Similarly would any girl ever be named "Guinevere?" But aren't a number of common names of OTL in English variants on Arthurian names? (Is "Jennifer" in fact a variant of Guinevere?)

But I think this is terribly far fetched because I can't quite imagine how some English movement prior to the OTL War of the Roses, or emerging in some ATL variation of that conflict, could result in a strongly anti-High Church faction that could plausibly rule in Britain and suppress connections with the Roman church, which by default would fill the place an Arthurian cult would fill if somehow or other Britain could be held apart from the Continent successfully repressing all attempts at Catholicism hanging on. What would be the ideological basis of such a movement? With monarchs like Henry VIII and Elizabeth being arbiters of what doctrines would be set to rule the Established Church, I cannot see them failing to be shrewd enough to offer the masses something quite close to Catholicism but under their control; this would preempt the development of the Arthur mythos unless the ATL *Tudor-analogs deliberately decided to introduce Arthurian elements, and I think they would face far too much sincere and serious scholarly criticism on the more radical reformist side to get away with such a thing; it would be denounced as a crass and cynical paganism even worse that Popish to try that I think. Anyway when I look at Courtly Romance I find it hard to see as something more amenable to a Protestant than Catholic viewpoint; at best it falls in neutral common ground--but tending toward everything Puritans protested.

So, someone had better be more audacious than I can manage to be in envisioning this. It can't emerge in deeply medieval conditions due to the affinity to the already ruling upper classes and lack of grassroots among the English peasantry, and by the time those form at last, the whole ambiance is too old-fashioned to survive except as part of a larger Catholic allegiance that represses its greatest potentials.

Really it is already so influential I don't know we could take it farther.

I think that such a religion would require an early POD, and multiple ones at that.

The first being an actual, fully formed, syncretic Christian church in Britain, not just minor cultural differences as the otl "celtic church" had.

A second one would be to have a real king Arthur; that is, a real romano-british ruler that united the britons(even if only briefly) to expell the anglo-saxons. Later legends and such can snowball around him, but a solid foundation on some fact is needed to be viable.

That way you have your celto-christian hybrid and an "Arthur" that will be sainted by them. Later you could have a knightly order develop among british rulers, whose primary aim is defending their faith and land against Catholic crusades.

As for the actual beliefs, i can't say much about celtic religion/myth as im not familiar with it, but i do have some thoughts towards this Brythonic church.

As a church wholly separate from Rome or Constantinople, they'd really like/need to claim some apostolic line of succession. Luckily the arthurian grail legends provide us an in: the Fisher King and the grail.

Now i think its safe to say that in the original tellings, the grail is an allegory for communion, not physical relics connected to Jesus. However, our Brythonic church can have it both ways, appealing to celtic traditions and christain teachings.

The Fisher King, the latest in a line of grail guardians, is allegory for the church and the apostolic succession. For the Brythonic church, the Fisher King can be their actual head of church.

One problem I see, is that the Medieval Church had a rather ambivalent attitude towards Arthur. On one hand he was seen as a model Christian King. On the other, he was viewed as a potential rival of loyalty and devotion by the church leaders

Which version and when does this cult become active?
Here is a good summary of the evolution of the Arthur mythos:

God, I love those guys! I use some of the Overly Sarcastic Production videos in different classes I teach. Because, when I'm the instructor: the students occasionally have to put up with what _I_ like! :D

Personally, I think it'd be interesting when the Romans left, or shortly afterwards.
The main issue with a pre-Conquest PoD here is that the very first texts to mention Arthur by name besides the various annals and the broad outline drawn up by "Nennius"'s Historia Brittonum are hagiographies of various saints, all of which present Arthur as an adversary to these churchmen, usually defying their authority or coveting their property.

The main issue with a pre-Conquest PoD here is that the very first texts to mention Arthur by name besides the various annals and the broad outline drawn up by "Nennius"'s Historia Brittonum are hagiographies of various saints, all of which present Arthur as an adversary to these churchmen, usually defying their authority or coveting their property.

Exactly. That's what I was hinting at above but you spelled it out much better!

Bernard Cornwell used this as the basis for making Arthur a pagan in his Warlord Chronicles series. Similarly contemporary Christian antipathy to Arthur is a big part of Here Lies Arthur, although in the story it is much more deserved.

Hmm. Interesting - I've never read the Historia Brittonum but the wiki article mentions the Virgin Mary on his Shoulders/Shield (depending on translation) - so unlike Bernard Cornwells approach, he could be taken as a Christian - but specifically maintained inside the Nicaean branch of Christian worship - with his Germanic opponents painted as Arians, and therefore horribly wrong. It would be a different tack to take, obviously have to happen before those hagiographies (do you happen to know when those were written?).

Although, I never knew he'd been used as essentially the adversary before. Learn something new everyday.

It does suggest Arthur could be used as either a unification story (i.e. we have to stay together, we need Arthurs to rule to protect Britain), or as a political tool to limit the influence of the church by a particularly ambitious King.

Side note : Ignoring plausibility, the idea of Vikings coming to Lindesfarne only to be met by rather angry Arthurian Warrior-Priests tickles my sense of humour, especially if they're chased off successfully.

See I have this idea for a timeline that is mostly focused on Iran but has some interesting ideas for Europe. One of these ideas is that, due too more schisms and heresies in Europe, the Viking Age is more devastating and successful in rolling back Christianity, particularly in Britain, but later down the line a Welsh King is able to build up an empire by playing the pagan Danes against the Chalcedonian Anglo-Saxons to build an Empire. Whilst the state ideology draws heavily from Romano-British heritage and the Arthur legendarium (assuming that it existed in some oral form before getting written down much later) this empire is also tied to a Celtic Church (which wasn't a real thing ITOL despite what some people think but ITTL there are still Arians, the great schism gets kicked off earlier and there are multiple Popes kicking around so everyone is creating their own Church at this point) which adopts some Arthurian elements.

Hmm. Interesting - I've never read the Historia Brittonum but the wiki article mentions the Virgin Mary on his Shoulders/Shield (depending on translation) - so unlike Bernard Cornwells approach, he could be taken as a Christian - but specifically maintained inside the Nicaean branch of Christian worship - with his Germanic opponents painted as Arians, and therefore horribly wrong.
But the Angles and Saxons and so on were actual pagans, would be both easier and more accurate to glorify Arthur as a Christian defending Britain from the heathen horde.

I mean, we could take a leaf out of the King Arthur movie of the 2000s, and make Arthur a Pelagian. It would neatly explain his issues with the Church of the time, if he was something of a schismatic.

Hmm. Interesting - I've never read the Historia Brittonum but the wiki article mentions the Virgin Mary on his Shoulders/Shield (depending on translation) - so unlike Bernard Cornwells approach, he could be taken as a Christian - but specifically maintained inside the Nicaean branch of Christian worship - with his Germanic opponents painted as Arians, and therefore horribly wrong. It would be a different tack to take, obviously have to happen before those hagiographies (do you happen to know when those were written?).

Although, I never knew he'd been used as essentially the adversary before. Learn something new everyday.

It does suggest Arthur could be used as either a unification story (i.e. we have to stay together, we need Arthurs to rule to protect Britain), or as a political tool to limit the influence of the church by a particularly ambitious King.

Side note : Ignoring plausibility, the idea of Vikings coming to Lindesfarne only to be met by rather angry Arthurian Warrior-Priests tickles my sense of humour, especially if they're chased off successfully.
I mean, we could take a leaf out of the King Arthur movie of the 2000s, and make Arthur a Pelagian. It would neatly explain his issues with the Church of the time, if he was something of a schismatic.
Yeah, Arthur is pretty unambiguously Christian in the Historia Brittonum, what with the veneration of the Virgin Mary; the Welsh Annals also make a big deal of him carrying the Cross on his shield (or his shoulder, or if you're Geoffrey of Monmouth and want to be really cute about it, the cross on his shield, which he bore on his shoulders) at the Battle of Badon Hill. Christianity was still very much a new religion in Sub-Roman Britain and was probably confined to the urban and ecclesiastical elites, and evidently had declined to such a great extent that the Gregory I had a great deal of work ahead of him.

There's no evidence that the Saxons which invaded Britain were Arian Christians, and probably were still worshipping their Wodens and Thunors. If you want to portray them in a really 3edgy5me fashion, their symbol could even be the swastika, which was widely used as a representation of Thor's lightning.

Arthur being a Pelagian* is, all things considered, actually one of the cleverer ways of reconciling the emphasis on his faith with the hagiographies, which range from Late Antiquity to the Early Middle Ages; it'd be difficult to date them as the manuscripts are simply the latest possible date the tradition coalesced into writing. In my take on Arthurian legend, Arthur is presented as a pious Christian but as prone to jealously, lust and wrath as pretty much anyone else.

*especially since "Pelagianism" was just orthodoxy before people started bandying about Original Sin and all that