AHC: American Football dominant worldwide

Does the sheer amount of equipment needed for gridiron militate against widespread popularity? As well as complicated rules? Football only requires a few jumpers on the floor to mark the goalposts, a ball and a rough understanding of the off side rule.

Not going to happen, especially in poorer countries.
Soccer wins by default thanks to heap gear, simple rules, lesser risk of injury.
Baseball also requires lots of equipment yet is popular in much of the Caribbean (Castro was a baseball fan for instance) and poorer countries like Nicaragua. And back in the early 20th century, American football didn't have a lot of equipment. It's easy for kids to play a pickup game of football in their backyard with no equipment--just have two quarterbacks and two other guys who might be linebackers or receivers or runningbacks.

I think the issue is more that when baseball spread because of American influence in the early 20th century, American football wasn't a major sport and even WWII when it was somewhat bigger it didn't spread much.

Baseball also requires lots of equipment yet is popular in much of the Caribbean (Castro was a baseball fan for instance) and poorer countries like Nicaragua. And back in the early 20th century, American football didn't have a lot of equipment. It's easy for kids to play a pickup game of football in their backyard with no equipment--just have two quarterbacks and two other guys who might be linebackers or receivers or runningbacks.
I guess baseball had that ability to spread because, while it has the need for gear, it doesn't feature heavily armoured gladiators knocking seven colours of the proverbial out of each other. I'm not an expert or a fan but I guess the equipment requirement for baseball is at a similar level to that of cricket, which is popular to the level of idolatry in India/Pakistan/Sri Lanka/Bangladesh.

Another thing: didn't gridiron suffer a number of fatalities or serious injuries in its early days (far more than anything in its cousin, rugby union/league) and didn't it come perilously close to being banned? I'm not sure this is the case, but if it was, perhaps that was something that also put off widespread acceptance?

I guess baseball had that ability to spread because, while it has the need for gear, it doesn't feature heavily armoured gladiators knocking seven colours of the proverbial out of each other. I'm not an expert or a fan but I guess the equipment requirement for baseball is at a similar level to that of cricket, which is popular to the level of idolatry in India/Pakistan/Sri Lanka/Bangladesh.

Another thing: didn't gridiron suffer a number of fatalities or serious injuries in its early days (far more than anything in its cousin, rugby union/league) and didn't it come perilously close to being banned? I'm not sure this is the case, but if it was, perhaps that was something that also put off widespread acceptance?

Yes - Football suffered a bit of a pr disaster due to a series of high profile deaths in the first decade of the 20th century. This was before the game was a blue collar sport and when it ws played largely on college campuses and so these deaths were amongst the children up the elite at the time, and this caused a stirr. Harvard, I believe, actually banned the game, and there was a movement for other schools to do the same.

And herein, I think, is a bit of why the game didn't catch up on much the rest of the world. Though the "it takes a lot of equipment" is often held up as a potential reason, and it certainly sounds good, it doesn't really pass the smell test upon closer observation. After all, the game wasn't actually played with a lot of equipment during the late 19th and early 20th century - the equipment only started to come in after these deaths - and even today its completely possible to play a backyard game with nothing more than a football, and some yard markers.

So that can't be it.

So what's the reason? Well, like many other sports at the time, the game was tied very closely to the elites of a certain nation, and only them perculated down to the rest of the population. At this same time, Britain was far more prestigious than the United States, controlled a lot more territory, and so its games were more likely to be taken up in the different corners of its empire and then spread out from there.

And if people wanted to play a game that was similar to Football, they already had an option: Rugby (or, to be more exact, two: Union and League Rugby).

Furthermore, during the early 20th century when many sports were begining to sweep the globe, football wasn't even the most popular game in the United States. That would have been baseball, and that game did spread (though mainly only to places within the US' sphere of influence). By the time the United States eclipsed Britain as the premier power in the world, economically, militarily and culturally, baseball was actually still the most popular sport in the US and the one which was most closely associated with the nation. Football didn't eclipse baseball in the US until the 1960s, and by that point the world sports market was pretty saturated, with Soccer/Football being the dominant game or a national variant (Aussie Rules, Gaelic Football, etc). There just wasn't a lot of places that American Football could expand into: even Canada had a similar national game.

Isn't American football just a complicated form of Rugby though?
Rugby (especially union) is so complicated, it baffles the players. It differs in that (legal) physical confrontation is mainly focused on the guy with the ball rather than the apocalyptic mass collisions you get in gridiron. That said, both rugby and football are now facing a similar problem with concussion and cases of early onset dementia that gridiron has painfully experienced.

Perhaps it’s time for a new sport to supplant all three...?!

Not going to happen, especially in poorer countries.
Soccer wins by default thanks to heap gear, simple rules, lesser risk of injury.
Default to the backyard touch or flag variant that most kids learn how to play and then ramp them up to "pro-flag football" and you would take care of this problem. As others have pointed out there are other problems, most notably it becoming dominant even in the US fairly late, but this problem is fixable.

Twisted Solution of the late on the scene problem: U.S. Olympic committee (or other cool position) chair Al Davis.

Isn't gridiron the same American football?

Well, I am German and thus football is something completely different for me anyways.
I never understood why Americans even named American Football so, seeing as they don't actually playing the ball with their feet.
I’m a Brit so football for me is the ball game played with your feet as well! Gridiron takes less time to type!

Just to complicate things, where I’m from in the UK (Wales), rugby is often known as ‘football’. But that’s another story!😂

😁😀

That is .....a curious thing though. Why and since when?
Because Soccer and Rugby (and American and Canadian football, for that matter) all developed out of a proto-Football game that was played in boys boarding schools in the early 19th century (and that in turn developed from earlier varities of Football that were played as early back as the Medieval period).

Last edited:
Because Soccer and Rugby both developed out of a proto-Football game that was played in boys boarding schools in the early 19th century (and that in turn developed from earlier varities of Football that were played as early back as the Medieval period).
Fair enough.
I just had thought that today there would be more language distinctions between the games.

Fair enough.
I just had thought that today there would be more language distinctions between the games.

Well, there is, to an extent. It's just that its very specific to a location.

Generally speaking, if there is a local variety of Football (so, Australian, Gaelic, Canadian, American) that is just known as 'Football' then Soccer is used. And if you are referring to one of these local varities, they usually have their own nickname - so you ahve Aussie Football, American Football/Gridiron, Gaelic, etc. But it can get a bit confusing if you don't know what the 'standard' form of Football is in a specific region.

Arun Kapil on his blog did a series of articles explaining why American football was so unexportable:
First, American football has become a freak show, where the average weight of players is now around 250 lbs (113 kg), and with linemen over 300 (136 kg). This is grotesque. Rugby players are beefy but some 35 lbs lighter on average.

Second, American football is violent and dangerous, with a significant percentage of former players suffering dementia after age 50 from all the concussions they sustained during their careers. The NY Times had a number of investigative articles on this at the time and which finally got the US Congress interested (and obliged the NFL to stop denying reality). This is, BTW, the main reason why soccer has taken off in the US among middle and upper-middle class boys: because their parents don’t want them playing football and getting hurt! Rugby is not so violent or dangerous. And as one may have noticed, their players don’t wear helmets or pads.

Third, the action in football is too halting and, as mentioned above, with too much dead time. The ball is in play for maybe seven seconds, followed by 45 during which the players huddle, pat each other on the bum, or just stand around. Football players spend way more time doing nothing on the field than doing something. In rugby, the action is continuous, with few breaks in the play. A few NFL teams have gone to no-huddle offenses but they’re still the exception. The dead time in American football and the incessant breaks in the action are invariably the first critiques one will hear of the game by a non-American who has tried to watch it. (Another critique is its excessive complexity)

Fourth, and related to the above, there are 60 minutes on the clock in football but only 11 minutes or so of real action. But—and here’s the kicker—the games last for at least 3 hours! This is way too long. There are 80 minutes in rugby, almost all action, and the games last a maximum of 1 hour 50 minutes (as with soccer). The rugby league game I went to started at 3:30 PM and I was thankfully out of the stadium at 5:20.

One particularity of American football may be added that sets it off from all other team sports—and renders it all the more unexportable—, which is its hyper-specialization. Every team sport involves specialization of players at given positions but all have a chance to handle the ball and score. E.g. in basketball, all players—forwards, guards, and center—dribble and shoot, in baseball all players—be they outfielders, basemen, or even the pitcher (except in leagues with the stupid DH rule)—get to bat (likewise in cricket), in soccer and hockey all players (including the goalkeepers) can move the ball or puck and take a shot on goal, in rugby (and in Gaelic and Australian rules football) everyone moves the ball. But not in American football. In addition to the particularity of having the team split into two—offense and defense, plus specialized kickers and punters—, only six or seven of the 22+ players have the right to handle the ball and score, except in cases of fumble recoveries or interceptions. The role of most of the players is blocking and tackling, to be the foot soldiers for the general (the quarterback) and his officers (running backs and receivers). This is not an issue for spectators but I think it is for the players themselves, at least when they start playing the game as children. This is an empirical question—which I have admittedly not looked into—but I cannot believe that the vast majority of boys who start playing football as children don’t wish to be quarterback, running back, and/or receiver. Do any willingly choose to be a guard or tackle? This is why American football can only be played in organized leagues with adult coaches assigning positions, deciding who will be quarterback, wide receiver, offensive guard, linebacker, etc, and which then becomes the player’s specialty. And a perverse effect of this: insofar as linemen have to be big, otherwise normally built boys will put on bulk, thereby becoming fat, if not obese. I’m sorry but to put it colloquially, I think all this sucks.

Another problem with American football. It cannot be played by girls. Women play everything nowadays—even rugby and judo—but not US football. Sure, some play flag, but flag is not taken seriously. It will never be the softball equivalent of baseball’s hardball.

Conclusion: American football is interesting to watch if one grew up with it but, objectively speaking, it’s a lousy game and with zero export potential. And in view of the manifest danger it poses to the health and lifespan of its players, it may well decline over time, as has boxing. With all this said, I’ll now go watch the Super Bowl, if I can stay awake for it.

If American troops popularized the game more in places like Japan and Korea I can see it somewhat taking off like Baseball did. However during those year 30s-50s Baseball was still the "national pastime".