AH: WI the Jacobites succeeded. (WIP)

Whoa, hold on. How does Charles take London?

I'm not saying this can't be done, but can't we at least have some acknowledgment of the how?

More serious problems.

James (Charles) soon created ties with the catholic nations of Europe, and sent a supporting force of 10,000 Scottish soldiers to support Spanish expansion in the Southern Americas.
He joined an invasion into Ireland in 1756, where it is possible he contracted malaria, and remained bed bound for months.
James’ failing health caused him to nominate his son Edward to become prince regent in 1758. As Edward was only 6, the Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne was nominated as Lord Protector. James died in 1760 of liver failure and general declining health (aged only 40). An inter-regnum was decreed until Edward became 20. Edward was crowned Edward VIII on 3rd May 1772, and sent his trusted advisor the Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne to put down a rebellion in the newly annexed state of the Apache. The Earl continued a planned 10 year campaign, but he was recalled to Britain when a rebellion rose in Wales during the winter of 1768, and he left his army under the command of General Sir Duncan MacDonald, and he was killed in the battle of Snowdon by an ambush during which he was toppled from his horse and clubbed to death. On hearing this news, the efforts to put down the rebellion was “Doubly re-doubled”

England is helping Spain in South America? What?
Why would he nominate his six year old son as "prince regent"? And why would Edward need to be 20 before he's crowned?

The new...what?

Why is Wales rebelling?

In 1775, the Colonies of America rose up against their masters, but Edward sent a huge force across the channel to quell the uprising. The war was long and costly, but the Rebels were finally defeated at the battle of the Red Dawn on the 1st January 1782. George Washington, one of the American Generals at the Battle was killed fighting alongside Nathanael Greene, who was captured and taken to Edinburgh for execution.

Why is the American Revolution happening in this timeline? And its across rather more than the Channel...

Battle of the what now?

Arthur Wellesley led incursions into the Indian sub-continent, and was named Governor-General of “Britannic affairs in the Orient”. In spring 1795, war erupted with the Chinese empire, and alliances were quickly formed with Russia and Japan. Wellesley remarked on the fighting prowess of the Japanese nobles, wishing that “…the rest of our peers were like them…” the Emperor of China surrendered to Wellesley on the 10th May 1799, signing of the western edges of the empire.

Okay, now I really think this is really an EU2 AAR.

0n January 18th 1801, George surrendered his crown to Charles III, his son. Charles increased the slave trade from African colonies, and also sold of much of the Chinese lands to the Russians. In 1803, the Empires of Prussia and Austria, and many small Germanic states united as one Nation, the Empire of the Middle, or the Mittereich Empire. They invaded the United Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg, then marched up into Denmark. In 1804, a Fleet under the Command of the young Rear-Admiral Nelson destroyed a far superior Danish fleet in the North Sea. However, Nelson lost his leg in the rigging, and his eye to shrapnel. After the victory in the North Sea, Nelson led his fleet to fight in the Defence of Rome: the Ottomans had sent a fleet to strike the Italian peninsula, but Wellesley’s fantastic 10 year campaign through Ottoman held southern France and Italy destroyed any threat from the Turk, and also led to his Beatification by the pope after his death in the streets of Rome, defending the Vatican city from peril.

A far superior Danish fleet?

So...what about the Holy Roman Empire? The empire that the states of the so-called Mitterreich Empire are part of?

And...why are the Ottomans sending a fleet to attack Italy?

This started off interesting and ended as inexplicable and confusing.

It was only an idea i had yesterday, so its effectively a plan... sort of

The prince regent was an accident. i had originally had his son aged 16.

The boy needs to be 20 because thats what Charles (James) said whilst he was dying.

Catholic Scotland is in control in Britain, so they have an alliance with Catholic Spain, and the Channel was a slip.

this is my first, so i need a lot of help.

My friend saidd i should use Wellesley, because hes Irish, and Wellesley may not have been affected.
I was running out of ideas, and it jus got absurd, though it seemed to start sort of well...ish

Last edited:
Well, I'm all for having Cumberland go to Hell as a suicide, but this is currently in such a crude form that there's not much good I can say about it.

I don't mean to discourage you from the idea, just the current form.

Can you give me some ideas, i mean, i originally had Bonoparte killed in the French reevolution as a young officer, but i scrapped that.

Start with the basics and build up from there.

How does Charles take London? This is at least in part a request for elaboration. Is it really that undefended? Will he be able to hold it? How does he manage to secure his position? The Jacobites aren't overwhelmingly popular in Britain. That doesn't mean he can't succeed, just that this will take some time and energy and good judgment.

After that, and dealing with any remaining Hanoverite efforts, he can start thinking about foreign wars.

Study what wars are going on at the time. How would a Jacobite UK differ from the one OTL? How have things been wrapped up in regards to Hanover? What about any alliances dropped (or formed) that didn't exist OTL?

From there, you can get an idea of what kind of things you need to take into consideration for events in the Seven Years War* (marked with a * because it probably won't be like OTL, so it may not even be known by the same name as OTL) and later.

From the Seven Years War, you can explore how the discontent in the American colonies works out. Maybe there is no American Revolution. Maybe George (Washington) is the one who dies instead of his older brother, Lawrence.

This is getting into butterflies, which are another issue - worry about the foundation first (taking London and securing the position of the Stuarts), and we can get to them later. Until that's squared away, nothing else in this timeline should be addressed.

I was out of ideas... oh well, but what if Charlie hadn't turned back?
This is where you need to find out how strong the garrison was, how strong Charles's army is - that sort of stuff.

I wish I could think of something to recommend for reading, but the most I can do at this point is offer advice on good timeline writing.

There are quite a few unexplained things in your scenario. Foe one, Kid Shortbried could not become James IX. His father didn't snuff it until 1766. More importantly, you said:
Catholic Scotland is in control in Britain, so they have an alliance with Catholic Spain

Scotland hadn't been Catholic since the time of John Knox and the Highland clans were mostly Episcopalian. Any alliances with Europe would more likely have been with France (La Vielle Alliance anyone?), but Spain was also involved in the '19. (A Jacobite rising which nobody is supposed to know about).

Cumberland had most of his army in the north, the King had fled with his body guard, and lots of Scotsmen are very scary

As to how he consolidated his position, i think he would hunt down Cumberland, and bring in heavy law enforcement for a while, though that might trigger a pro Hanoverian uprising.

Charlie got to Derby, but a double agent made him turn back.
Nope. The chiefs, many of whom actually had military experience made him turn back.

The king of England waas already packing his bags
That's true.
How does Charles take London? This is at least in part a request for elaboration. Is it really that undefended? Will he be able to hold it? How does he manage to secure his position? The Jacobites aren't overwhelmingly popular in Britain. That doesn't mean he can't succeed, just that this will take some time and energy and good judgment.
He can't take London, it's not at all undefended, but the militia is a joke. Nor can he hold it or secure his position.

Elfwine;4359776Th said:
is is where you need to find out how strong the garrison was, how strong Charles's army is - that sort of stuff.
London isn't really garrisoned as it too damn big. As for how large the idiots army is, I provide this comment from Lord George Murray:-
Suppose even the Army march'd on and beat the Duke of Cumberland yett in the Battle they must Lose some men, and they had after that the King's own army consisting of near 7,000 men near London to deal with..........that certainly 4,500 Scots had never thought of putting a King upon the English Throne by themselves....

He can't take London, it's not at all undefended, but the militia is a joke. Nor can he hold it or secure his position.

Why not? (on the hold & secure part)

Asking, not arguing.

London isn't really garrisoned as it too damn big. As for how large the idiots army is, I provide this comment from Lord George Murray:-
Suppose even the Army march'd on and beat the Duke of Cumberland yett in the Battle they must Lose some men, and they had after that the King's own army consisting of near 7,000 men near London to deal with..........that certainly 4,500 Scots had never thought of putting a King upon the English Throne by themselves....

How big is it (London)? "Too damn big" is mighty vague.

And <4,500 vs. 7,000 is not necessarily overwhelming.

Not that I'm saying Murray was wrong, but "improbable" does not mean "flat out impossible" in war.

Idea: with support from french soldiers (Fact) Charlie manages to take the Capital. Cumberland commits suicide. However, the Hanoverians rise up within the year and crackk down even harder than normal (Result: more resentment, rebellion, break down of society etc.)

Why not? (on the hold & secure part)

Asking, not arguing.
Basically due to numbers. The Jacobites couldn't replace losses
How big is it (London)? "Too damn big" is mighty vague.
The population of London at the time was around 800,000 to 900,000.
And <4,500 vs. 7,000 is not necessarily overwhelming.
It is when you add in all the other "armies" which were floating about England. Cumberland had something in the region of 13,000, "his majesty's army" was about 7,000. then there were the others, Ligonier (16,000), Wade (10,000), Hawley (about the same).
Not that I'm saying Murray was wrong, but "improbable" does not mean "flat out impossible" in war.
It does when you don't have the ability replace your losses (just ask the Germans in Stalingrad).

The '45 was doomed from the start as the idiot-in-chief didn't bring with him the promised French aid. Mind you, that's principally because the bastard didn't tell them he was going.......

Oh Yeah, S&K, the famous support from French soldiers - there were eventually something like 500 from the Irish Brigade and the Royale Eccosaise. Marvellous support. Also why would Cumberland commit suicide?