• Miami, FL

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Kansas City, MO

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Phoenix, AZ

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Personally, I think Dallas and San Diego would be rewarded a team during the 80s. Ottawa and maybe (if by relocation) New Jersey would work during the 90s.

Also...

Florida would and can work in the NHL. Marketing and research is key. The Panthers and (more importantly) Lightning proved that it can work. Personally I would replace the Florida Panthers with a team in Orlando after the NBA Orlando Magic debut. But with who?..

Disney. Get Eisner (if he goes to Disney) or Roy Disney himself to set up shop in Orlando instead of Anaheim (LA Kings would be okay with it anyways) and call them the Orlando Mighty Ducks or The Mighty Ducks of Orlando.

And with Orlando, you could easily have an Interstate 4 rivalry w/ the Tampa Bay Lightning.

I mean, i'm not against florida having hockey teams. I did say that i like the lightning, after all. It's just that it's impossible for hockey to become popular in the south due to having no winter and nobody giving a shit about the sport in those areas...except nashville, but that was unexpected.

I'm just salty that the NHL neglected cities with lots of hockey history like seattle, portland, Hamilton and milwaukee in favour of unproven markets in a vain attempt at growing the game. Hockey will never have the popularity of basketball and soccer, it has a ceiling. That's what they don't seem to understand.

Last edited:
I mean, i'm not against florida having hockey teams. I did say that i like the lightning, after all. It's just that it's impossible for hockey to become popular in the south due to having no winter and nobody giving a shit about the sport in those areas...except nashville, but that was unexpected.

I'm just salty that the NHL neglected cities with lots of hockey history like seattle, portland, Hamilton and milwaukee in favour of unproven markets in a vain attempt at growing the game. Hockey will never have the popularity of basketball and soccer, it has a ceiling.

But I'm still pretty confident that Florida could still have more snowbirds than most southeastern states, even ITTL.

Can we please stay on topic? Love that you guys are enjoying the series but talking about why Nashville is in the West and not the East is unrelated to the timeline.

one of the interesting options that @OldNavy1988 suggested for the rockies ownership is Coors. i can imagine Coors becoming the official beer of the NHL, and you can base an entire marketing game based on the cold beer that coors offers and ice hockey, like ''when things gets hot on the ice, Nothing better than a cold one!'' or some ice or cold-related wordplay and shit.

does anybody have any idea about who jerry seltzer is? cause i'm legit curious as to how he could've saved that miserable pile of secrets that was the california seals...

also, since bill daniels is a cable TV magnate, would he help us with getting a new national TV Deal in the US? cause if so, that would make two birds with one stone: we get a new TV Deal AND we save colorado hockey.

Last edited:
does anybody have any idea about who jerry seltzer is? cause i'm legit curious as to how he could've saved that miserable pile of secrets that was the california seals...
Jerry owned the Roller Derby league from 1959 until 1973:

He allegedly had a legitimate plan to turn around the California Golden Seals in 1970, and he put in a better offer. However, the short-sighted NHL owners went with that clown Charlie Finley because they didn't want to deal with two people (Seltzer's partner, Raider partner Wayne Valley, would also have went to owner's meetings).

Seltzer may have been able to do it. His GM would have been Bill Torrey, the man who went on to build a dynasty on Long Island (Bill quit not long after Finley got control of the team).

Last edited:
Jerry owned the Roller Derby league from 1959 until 1973:

He allegedly had a legitimate plan to turn around the California Golden Seals in 1970, and he put in a better offer. However, the short-sighted NHL owners went with that clown Charlie Finley because they didn't want to deal with two people (Seltzer's partner, Raider partner Wayne Valley, would also have went to owner's meetings as well).

Seltzer may have been able to do it. His GM would have been Bill Torrey, the man who went on to build a dynasty on Long Island (Bill quit not long after Finley got control of the team).

Hmm interesting. We might give him his chance now...though, like i said, the only suitable arena in california outside of LA at this pojnt in time was in san diego. And bill daniels being a Cable TV magnate as well as willing to keep the team in colorado is a very interesting offer. IMO, it's between those two.

1981 NHL Draft
1981 NHL Draft: Notable Picks

1st Pick - Dale Hawerchuk (C) Colorado Rockies

2nd Pick - Ron Francis (C) Calgary Wranglers

3rd Pick - Bobby Carpenter (C) Los Angeles Kings (from Detroit)

5th Pick - Joe Cirella (D) Chicago Black Hawks

7th Pick - Mark Hunter (RW) Toronto Maple Leafs

9th Pick - Grant Fuhr (G) Hartford Whalers

13th Pick - Al MacInnis (D) Minnesota North Stars

38th Pick - Chris Chelios (D) Houston Aeros

56th Pick - Mike Vernon (G) Seattle Thunderbirds

70th Pick - John Vanbiesbrouck (G) Atlanta Flames

Comments apricated!

1981 NHL Draft: Notable Picks

1st Pick - Dale Hawerchuk (C) Colorado Rockies

2nd Pick - Ron Francis (C) Calgary Wranglers

3rd Pick - Bobby Carpenter (C) Los Angeles Kings (from Detroit)

5th Pick - Joe Cirella (D) Chicago Black Hawks

7th Pick - Mark Hunter (RW) Toronto Maple Leafs

9th Pick - Grant Fuhr (G) Hartford Whalers

13th Pick - Al MacInnis (D) Minnesota North Stars

38th Pick - Chris Chelios (D) Houston Aeros

56th Pick - Mike Vernon (G) Seattle Thunderbirds

70th Pick - John Vanbiesbrouck (G) Atlanta Flames

Comments apricated!
Seattle getting a top goalie, nice! Now all they need is a center and wing depth to give cover to Ken linseman and mark napier...

Ronnie franchise not going to hartford??? HERESY!! Grant fuhr's a nice consolation pick, though. Man, bourque, mark howe And ulf samuelsson in front of fuhr? That defense will be impenetrable! Now all they need is scoring.

Please, colorado, don't waste dale's career! If mr. Daniels buys you, i believe he will make sure that the team will be competitive.

Macinnis to the stars is an underrated move IMO. Now if only Helmut Balderis could defect earlier...a top 6 composed of bobby smith, brian bellows, Dino cicarelli, neal broten and a prime balderis would be pretty neat!

Hoston making some moves as well. Might watch out for them in the future.

Uncle ted's gonna be happy with beezer in net.

Damn, now what will happen to edmonton?

The Oilers had most of the WHA roster from 1977-78 still on the team now. Those WHA-era Oilers were pretty good, but never won a title. They are still good today, but they will be in rebuilding mode for most of the decade unlike IRL where they had Gretzky and Messier and those guys, they are all on different teams.

1981-82 NHL Regular Season
1981-82 NHL Regular Season results
Playoff teams in BOLD

Adams Division
Hartford Whalers 92 points
Montreal Canadiens 90 points
Boston Bruins 85 points
Buffalo Sabres 82 points

Toronto Maple Leafs 77 points
Quebec Nordiques 77 points

Patrick Division
New York Islanders 116 points
Atlanta Flames 98 points
Washington Capitals 94 points
New York Rangers 93 points

Philadelphia Flyers 88 points
Pittsburgh Penguins 71 points

Snythe Division
Los Angeles Kings 101 points
Seattle Thunderbirds 97 points
Winnipeg Jets 93 points
Vancouver Canucks 81 points

Edmonton Oilers 78 points
Calgary Wranglers 57 points
Colorado Rockies 56 points

Norris Division
St Louis Blues 105 points
Houston Aeros 94 points
Cincinnati Stingers 90 points
Minnesota North Stars 83 points

Chicago Black Hawks 61 points
Detroit Red Wings 49 points

Season headlines

- The Islanders once again finish in first place overall despite most players declining a bit this year.

- Wayne Gretzky puts up astronomical numbers for a player this season, scoring 85 goals and 100 assists as the Blues top the Campbell Conference. They also make a mid-season trade for goalie Roland Melanson from the Islanders to give them a solid goalie.

- Midway through the season the Rockies are purchased by a group of owners led by Cable TV Excutive Bill Daniels, Coors ceo Joe Coors and Denver Broncos owner Edgar Kaiser. The team will stay in Colorado.

- CBS will also telecast the NHL playoff games for American viewers this year. The network and the NHL signed a deal that will last until the end of the 1987 Stanley Cup Finals.

Comments appreciated! Who's your pick to Claim Lord Stanley's cup in '82?

-Melanson? That should help them go deep in the playoff. The lack of defense, though...what did the blues give to the isles in exchange for melanson?

-Yay, the rockies stay! Not only will we get new TV Contracts, but the league will have an official drink! Now all the rockies need is to Draft good.

-great news that CBS renewed its deal.

As for predictions:

CONFERENCE FINALS

Hartford vs Islanders

St. Louis vs Vancouver.

Stamley Cup:

Islanders vs Vancouver. Isles in 6.

1982 Stanley Cup Playoffs: First and Second Rounds
1982 Stanley Cup Playoffs: First and Second Rounds
Winners in BOLD

First Round
Hartford Whalers 3 - Buffalo Sabres 1
Boston Bruins 3 - Montreal Canadiens 1
New York Islanders 3 - New York Rangers 0
Washington Capitals 3 - Atlanta Flames 2

Vancouver Canucks 3 - Los Angeles Kings 2
Seattle Thunderbirds 3 - Winnipeg Jets 1
St Louis Blues 3 - Minnesota North Stars 1
Houston Aeros 3 - Cincinnati Stingers 1

Second Round
Hartford Whalers 4 - Boston Bruins 2
New York Islanders 4 - Washington Capitals 1

Seattle Thunderbirds 4 - Vancouver Canucks 3
St Louis Blues 4 - Houston Aeros 2

Whales Conference Final Preview: The defending champion Islanders look to add a third Stanley Cup in 4 years, but the up-and-coming Whalers look to pull of the upset and become the second former-WHA to reach the Finals.

Campbell Conference Final Preview: The unstoppable force meets the immovable object in this one, as the record-setting Blues offense meets the shutdown Seattle Defense.

Comments appreciated! Who do you think will win?