Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Phoenix, AZ

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1981 NHL Conference Finals
Whales Conference Final: New York Islanders vs Montreal Canadiens

G1: MTL 1 @ NYI 4 Islanders lead series 1-0

New York would come out flying in this one, scoring 3 goals in the first 39 seconds of the series. Brian Trottier would have a hat-trick to give the Islanders the win and the series advantage.

G2: MTL 1 @ NYI 0 Series tied 1-1

Yvonne Lambert would score the games only goal midway through the first period on a deflection as the series was tied going to Montreal.

G3: NYI 5 @ MTL 1 Islanders lead series 2-1

The Islanders once more frustrated the Canadiens in game 3, Billy Smith played great in goal and 5 different Islanders would score all New York Goals.

G4: NYI 4 @ MTL 2 Islanders lead series 3-1

The Canadiens would open up the scoring, but it didn't matter. Mike Bossy and Bob Nystrom would score two goals each for the Isles as they took a 3-1 series lead.

G5: MTL 0 @ NYI 2 Islanders win series 4-1

The Islanders punched a ticket to the Stanley Cup Finals with a 2-0 game 5 win. Billy Smith stopped 53 shots from Montreal to pave the way for Trottier and John Tonelli to score both Islander goals to win it.

Campbell Conference Final: St Louis Blues vs Los Angeles Kings

G1: LA 4 @ STL 0 Kings lead series 1-0

In St Louis, the Kings dominated game 1. Getting a great offensive performance from Marcel Dionne and shutdown goaltending from Mario Lessard was huge if they want to win the series and they showed in game 1 of this one.

G2: LA 3 @ STL 2 Kings lead series 2-0

LA would be at their best again in game 2, shutting down Wayne Gretzky and friends again. Dionne and Denis Savard would combine for all 3 King goals as they headed home with a 2-0 series lead.

G3: STL 5 @ LA 2 Kings lead series 2-1

Wayne Gretzky would put the Blues on his back at The Forum in Los Angeles for game 3 with a goal and three assists in the win.

G4: STL 5 @ LA 2 Series tied 2-2

In game 4, the Kings would score the games first two goals and it appeared they were headed for a 3-1 series lead. But the St Louis offense woke up, as Bernie Federko started the rally with a penalty shot goal. Suddenly the Blues were getting goals while LA was quiet for the rest of the game.

G5: LA 4 @ STL 3 (OT) Kings lead series 3-2

With about 5 minutes to go in the third period, the Blues were up 3-1 and seemed destined for a win. Suddenly, Mike Gartner was called for an elbow. Charlie Simmer would score on the power play to bring LA within one. With just seconds left in the third, Dionne would score the tying goal to force overtime. Just 45 seconds into the extra period, Kevin Schamehorn would score his first ever playoff goal to give the Kings the win and an opportunity to advance to the Stanley Cup Finals on home ice.

G6: STL 4 @ LA 5 Kings win series 4-2

With the game tied 4-4 in the third, Gretzky had a chance to put the Blues ahead when he beat Lessard on a breakaway. Unfortunately, the puck hit the post and the game stayed tied. With less than two minutes to play, Rick Chartraw's point shot found the back of the net to give the Kings a 5-4 lead. After surviving a late push from St. Louis, the Kings poured off the bench. Los Angeles was heading to the Stanley Cup Finals.

Comments appreciated! Who's your pick to take it home?

Last edited:
Hey wait, didn't the kings drafted denis savard 3rd overall? Cause larry murphy was drafted by the stingers during the 1980 draft.
Oops. Sorry for the slip up, i'll go back and edit that.

Edit: Should be fixed now, my apologies for the confusion

1981 Stanley Cup Final
1981 Stanley Cup Final: New York Islanders vs Los Angeles Kings
TV: CBC (Canada) ESPN (United States)

G1: LA 2 @ NYI 1 (OT) Kings lead series 1-0

Game 1 was close, with former LA King Butch Goring opening the scoring in the first period. It appeared the Islanders had the win as both Billy Smith and Mario Lessard playing well in net. Suddenly, just a minute after Goring's goal, Denis Savard scored for Los Angeles to tie the game. Despite a late push from both teams, the game would go into overtime, where Jay Wells played the hero, as the Kings take game 1.

G2: LA 2 @ NYI 3 (OT) Series tied 1-1

Game two would also go into overtime, with Savard once again getting an opportunity to win it. Smith made the save, then stopped several more LA chances, before Mike Bossy finally ended the game and tied the series near the end of the first overtime. “We obviously would’ve like to win both games at home but this is a big win for us. We’ll take the split” said Bossy afterwards

G3: NYI 2 @ LA 0 Islanders lead series 2-1

The series moved to California, where the Kings hoped to use the home ice advantage they had stolen. However, the Kings couldn’t even get on the board in game three. Billy Smith stopped 42 shots in a 2-0 New York win.

G4: NYI 4 @ LA 2 Islanders lead series 3-1

Game four was closer, as the teams battled through a 2-2 tie until Brian Trottier scored to put the Isles ahead. Ken Morrow sealed the win with an empty-netter and the Islanders are now just one win away.

G5: LA 4 @ NYI 1 Islanders lead series 3-2

A win was critical for Los Angeles in game five back on Long Island if they wanted to continue the series. The building was packed once again as the Islanders anticipated a home-ice victory. Though New York opened the scoring, Los Angeles quickly responded with a pair of goals from Marcel Dionne and Steve Jensen to give the Kings the lead. New York pushed to regain it but could not solve Lessard while Dave Taylor and Dan Bonar each scored to increase the gap to 4-1 and secure a key win for the Kings. The series would now head back to LA with the pressure now on the Islanders.

G6: NYI 3 @ LA 2 Islanders win series 4-2

Prior to game six, the Islanders received devastating news. Goaltender Billy Smith had been hit high with a shot late in game five and woke up with severe concussion symptoms. Backup Roland Melanson would start for New York as the Islanders had another opportunity to claim the title. Melanson was tested early, as the Isles took two penalties early on. Los Angeles pressed for the opening goal but Melanson met every challenge. Finally, with the second penalty over, Wayne Merrick scored a big goal to give New York the lead. Midway through the second period, Stefan Persson made it 2-0. Los Angeles finally got on the board three minutes later on a goal from Charlie Simmer, but the Kings couldn’t keep pace with the Islanders, who extended the lead thanks to a goal from Bob Lorimer. New York clung to a 3-1 lead until just four minutes remaining, when Denis Savard brought the Kings to within one. As Los Angeles pulled Mario Lessard for the extra attacker. The Kings pushed hard for the tying goal but Roland Melanson met the challenge. With just four seconds left, Marcel Dionne had the puck on his stick with an open net, but Melanson slid across the goalmouth just in time to get his stick on the puck a redirected it away from the net just as the final buzzer sounded. As the Isles mobbed their goaltender, fans back on Long Island erupted as they had watched on TV. For the second time in three season, the New York Islanders are Stanley Cup Champions.

Comments appreciated! Congrats to all the Islander fans out there!

So what are the current TV deals for the league? Is it temporary until they receive or look for a better deal?

Also, in universe, how are the WHA teams doing in the league. Are any of the teams that joined the NHL planning to relocate due to poor attendance or other issues.

Sorry for asking these questions. Got very curious since I love Hockey and the 80s and 90s are (to me) the best decade for the sport. So seeing more sports TL are awesome to see.

Also, I wonder where Saint Patrick will go when he get drafted later on? Hm???

So what are the current TV deals for the league? Is it temporary until they receive or look for a better deal?

Also, in universe, how are the WHA teams doing in the league. Are any of the teams that joined the NHL planning to relocate due to poor attendance or other issues.

Sorry for asking these questions. Got very curious since I love Hockey and the 80s and 90s are (to me) the best decade for the sport. So seeing more sports TL are awesome to see.

Also, I wonder where Saint Patrick will go when he get drafted later on? Hm???
1.) The NHL has a deal with the Canadian Broadcasting Company to broadcast games in Canada just like IRL. In the offseason of 1980, ESPN agreed to air some NHL games through syndication via other broadcasts of the game. (For example if a game between the Boston Bruins and Buffalo Sabres was being broadcasted, ESPN would pick it up and syndicate either the Bruins or Sabres local telecast).

2.) The Houston Aeros, Cincinnati Stingers, Hartford Whales, Quebec Nordiques, Edmonton Oilers and Winnipeg Jets are doing fine and will probably not relocate. The Indianapolis Racers lasted just one season in Indiana before being moved to Calgary where they are now the Wranglers. The Birmingham Bulls moved after two seasons and are now the Seattle Thunderbirds. Just like IRL, the Colorado Rockies may be leaving Denver. Or maybe they might stay in the Mile High City.

3.) Patrick Roy I believe came along in either 84 or 85 so probably a bottom feeder would pick him in the draft.

I've always wanted to do something like this, so when I came here I figured this was a go from the start. I hope you enjoy this just as much as me!

1.) The NHL has a deal with the Canadian Broadcasting Company to broadcast games in Canada just like IRL. In the offseason of 1980, ESPN agreed to air some NHL games through syndication via other broadcasts of the game. (For example if a game between the Boston Bruins and Buffalo Sabres was being broadcasted, ESPN would pick it up and syndicate either the Bruins or Sabres local telecast).

2.) The Houston Aeros, Cincinnati Stingers, Hartford Whales, Quebec Nordiques, Edmonton Oilers and Winnipeg Jets are doing fine and will probably not relocate. The Indianapolis Racers lasted just one season in Indiana before being moved to Calgary where they are now the Wranglers. The Birmingham Bulls moved after two seasons and are now the Seattle Thunderbirds. Just like IRL, the Colorado Rockies may be leaving Denver. Or maybe they might stay in the Mile High City.

3.) Patrick Roy I believe came along in either 84 or 85 so probably a bottom feeder would pick him in the draft.

I've always wanted to do something like this, so when I came here I figured this was a go from the start. I hope you enjoy this just as much as me!

Yeah, the NHL needs a national TV Deal in the US, since the CBS one expires this season

If CBS is unable to extend its current deal, there's still NBC or ABC.

Don't forget USA Network on cable.

You also have Ted Turner looking to put his Atlanta Flames on the WTBS (now TBS) Super Station which he also owns
Turner would be a great option for both companies. TBS was growing in size and adding the NHL with their Turner Sports package (Atlanta Flames would join the Braves and the Hawks) would help the network to compete in the new cable television market. NHL would see this and maybe adding a better deal with ESPN to help boost their credibility in the US. Maybe instead of using package broadcast deals, they would actually send people to each game. Even if it just for the Game of the Week broadcast.

Is WGN an option for the Blackhawks?
WGN would be a good option for the Blackhawks.

Wondering how the 90s would turn out?

1981 NHL offseason part 1
After years of losing money in Kansas City (1974-76) and Denver (1976-81) the Colorado Rockies are on the market for a new owner. Potential buyers include.

Bill Daniels, Cable TV Magnate. (60 years old) Would keep the team in Denver
Red McCombs, Owner of the NBA's San Antonio Spurs (53 years old) Wants a team in Dallas
Harry T. Magurian Jr. (54 years old) Businessman and Owner of the NBA's Boston Celtics. Has a desire for a team in Florida
John McMullen, Engineer and Businessman based in New Jersey. (62 years old)
Bruce Firestone (29 years old) Real Estate Developer from Ottawa, Ontario
Jerry Seltzer, Roller Derby Magnate (48 years old) Failed to buy the now-defunct Oakland Seals franchise in 1970. Would like a team back in the Bay Area.

Comments appreciated! any predictions on who should get the Rockies?

I don't really know, honestly...of course, there is new jersey, as OTL, but with the rangers and islanders already established in the new york area, there isn't really any need for a new team aroudn those parts. Plus, it would hurt attendance for hartford.

Dallas seems to be a good choice: they have a freshly-built NHL-ready arena and houston's relative success at the gate has proven that texas does show genuine interest in hockey. The real question is: is two teams in texas a viable and sustainable strategy?

Flock off, florida! One or two teams down south is enough! We don't wanna repeat the same mistakes as OTL! (That said, i do like the lightning and the preds)

Ottawa is not yet ready, but their time will come...

Honestly, at this point in time, the only viable option for another team in california would be san diego, since they have a suitable NHL Arena, unlike the bay area at this point in time. I hope the sharks exist, though, as i have a soft spot for them. The san diego sharks sounds nice.

Who is Bill Daniels again? Is he the guy behind COMSAT? If so, that could be a good option...what the team really needs is a good GM, good coach and good...well, everything. Big Lou can't come soon enough!

So yeah, Daniels, Dallas and San diego would be my picks.

EDIT: Never mind, daniels is the co-owner of the lakers. You can bet that he won't let the team be LOLcows thpugh, that's for sure!

Last edited:
I don't really know, honestly...of course, there is new jersey, as OTL, but with the rangers and islanders already established in the new york area, there isn't really any need for a new team aroudn those parts. Plus, it would hurt attendance for hartford.

Dallas seems to be a good choice: they have a freshly-built NHL-ready arena and houston's relative success at the gate has proven that texas does show genuine interest in hockey. The real question is: is two teams in texas a viable and sustainable strategy?

Flock off, florida! One or two teams down south is enough! We don't wanna repeat the same mistakes as OTL! (That said, i do like the lightning and the preds)

Ottawa is not yet ready, but their time will come...

Honestly, at this point in time, the only viable option for another team in california would be san diego, since they have a suitable NHL Arena, unlike the bay area at this point in time. I hope the sharks exist, though, as i have a soft spot for them. The san diego sharks sounds nice.

Who is Bill Daniels again? Is he the guy behind COMSAT? If so, that could be a good option...what the team really needs is a good GM, good coach and good...well, everything. Big Lou can't come soon enough!

So yeah, COMSAT, Dallas and San diego would be my picks.
Bill Daniels was co-owner of the NBA's Los Angeles Lakers, owner of the American Basketball Associations Utah Stars and founder of the USFL's Los Angeles Express later on. He was a supporter of the Denver Grand Prix as well, I don't think he was involved in COMSAT however. I considered adding Ray Kroc (McDonalds co-founder and San Diego resident) to the list but he died in 1984 so it wouldn't be the smartest move. I'll give it some thought before making my official decision with some help from the community on who should get the team.

Jerry Seltzer had a plan to turn around the Seals when the NHL owners foolishly gave the team to Finley. It would have been nice to see him get another chance.

After years of losing money in Kansas City (1974-76) and Denver (1976-81) the Colorado Rockies are on the market for a new owner. Potential buyers include.

Bill Daniels, Cable TV Magnate. (60 years old) Would keep the team in Denver
Red McCombs, Owner of the NBA's San Antonio Spurs (53 years old) Wants a team in Dallas
Harry T. Magurian Jr. (54 years old) Businessman and Owner of the NBA's Boston Celtics. Has a desire for a team in Florida
John McMullen, Engineer and Businessman based in New Jersey. (62 years old)
Bruce Firestone (29 years old) Real Estate Developer from Ottawa, Ontario
Jerry Seltzer, Roller Derby Magnate (48 years old) Failed to buy the now-defunct Oakland Seals franchise in 1970. Would like a team back in the Bay Area.

Comments appreciated! any predictions on who should get the Rockies?

Other names who can throw their hat into the ring...
Jerry Colangelo, Executive for the NBA's Phoenix Suns.
Edgar Kaiser, Grandson of Henry J. Kaiser and owner of the NFL Denver Broncos.
Joe Coors, Head of Coors Brewing.
Marvin Davis, Owner of the 20th Century Fox movie studio and one-time owner of the MLB Oakland Athletics.
Donald Sterling, Los Angeles-based businessman.
George Pernicano, San Diego-based restaurateur and part owner of the NFL Chargers.
Barron Hilton, Founder of the Chargers and the team's former owner.
Mike Veeck, Son of MLB executive Bill Veeck.
Michael Eisner, Vice president of Paramount Pictures; A Rangers fan during his youth.
Eugene V. Klein, current Chargers majority owner.
John Y. Brown, Jr., Kentucky businessman who famously bought KFC from Colonel Sanders.
Donald Carter, Founder of the NBA Dallas Mavericks.

Does Howard Baldwin still own the Whalers at this point?

Sports news in 1980-81
Other sports in 1980-81.

The Cleveland Browns defeat the Atlanta Falcons in Super Bowl XV 23-21. Brian Sipe was named MVP thanks to his 2 touchdown pases and his clutch 4th quarter drive that set up the game winning field goal by Don Cockroft with 2 seconds left in regulation.

The Boston Celtics win their second straight NBA title by defeating the Portland Trail Blazers in 5 games in the NBA Finals. Robert Parish won MVP of the series thanks to averging 25.3 points a game in the series.

For the first time ever, the World Series champion is from outside the United States as the Montreal Expos defeat the Oakland A's in a 4 game sweep in the 1981 world series. Gary Carter was awarded the series MVP for hitting 4 home runs in the series, including the go-ahead home run in the 8th inning of game 4 to clinch the series for the 'Spos.

Other sports in 1980-81.

The Cleveland Browns defeat the Atlanta Falcons in Super Bowl XV 23-21. Brian Sipe was named MVP thanks to his 2 touchdown pases and his clutch 4th quarter drive that set up the game winning field goal by Don Cockroft with 2 seconds left in regulation.

The Boston Celtics win their second straight NBA title by defeating the Portland Trail Blazers in 5 games in the NBA Finals. Robert Parish won MVP of the series thanks to averging 25.3 points a game in the series.

For the first time ever, the World Series champion is from outside the United States as the Montreal Expos defeat the Oakland A's in a 4 game sweep in the 1981 world series. Gary Carter was awarded the series MVP for hitting 4 home runs in the series, including the go-ahead home run in the 8th inning of game 4 to clinch the series for the 'Spos.
Justice has been served. I take it steve rogers wasn't called in relief?

Personally, I think Dallas and San Diego would be rewarded a team during the 80s. Ottawa and maybe (if by relocation) New Jersey would work during the 90s.

Also...

Florida would and can work in the NHL. Marketing and research is key. The Panthers and (more importantly) Lightning proved that it can work. Personally I would replace the Florida Panthers with a team in Orlando after the NBA Orlando Magic debut. But with who?..

Disney. Get Eisner (if he goes to Disney) or Roy Disney himself to set up shop in Orlando instead of Anaheim (LA Kings would be okay with it anyways) and call them the Orlando Mighty Ducks or The Mighty Ducks of Orlando.