• Miami, FL

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Kansas City, MO

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Phoenix, AZ

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Interesting that the league is going to have three teams jump in all at once, especially if they are doing an expansion draft. Ottawa should be one and any name other then the Senators would be a disservice.

Orlando should be another if Disney are still looking to get a team if they made Mighty Ducks or similar movies ITTL. The third spot to me is the hardest and based on the NHL’s large footprint ITTL, they should be looking to fill gaps at this point unlike the OTL NHL, who did sunbelt expansion. I could see Dallas still being a good relocation spot.

And What About Bo Jackson playing Baseball and Football, And Some NHL Star playing Hockey and another sport other than hockey? #JustThinking

1987-88 NHL Regular Season
1987-88 NHL Regular Season Standings
Playoff teams in BOLD

Adams Division
Hartford Whalers 105 points
Quebec Nordiques 104 points
Toronto Maple Leafs 92 points
Detroit Red Wings 88 points

Buffalo Sabres 83 points
Boston Bruins 65 points
Montreal Canadiens 55 points

Patrick Division
Washington Capitals 105 points
Cincinnati Stingers 95 points
Philadelphia Flyers 89 points
New York Islanders 81 points

New York Rangers 72 points
Atlanta Flames 63 points

Smythe Division
Seattle Thunderbirds 98 points
Vancouver Canucks 93 points
Edmonton Oilers 81 points
Calgary Wranglers 76 points

Los Angeles Kings 74 points
San Diego Penguins 52 points

Norris Division
St Louis Blues 115 points
Houston Aeros 111 points
Colorado Rockies 101 points
Chicago Blackhawks 75 points

Winnipeg Jets 69 points
Minnesota North Stars 54 points

In the summer of 1987, NHL President John Ziegler made a big announcement: the NHL would be expanding to 28 teams for the 1990-91 season. The league immediately began accepting bids for ownership. Surprisingly, in January of '88, just three weeks after the applications were due, Ziegler announced that the new franchises would be granted in Tampa, Portland and Milwaukee. Though most of the owners had expected that an expansion council would be formed, they narrowly voted to accept his choices.

On the ice, however, on October 8, 1987, after being traded that offseason, Ron Francis began his first full season in Vancouver. Francis gave Canucks fans a lot to be excited about right away when he lit up the Seattle Thunderbirds in the home opener, scoring four goals in a 6-3 win. The native of Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario enjoyed a career season in 1987-88, nearly winning the Rocket Richard trophy with 94 points including 45 goals. The team hired GM Lou Lamoriello, who flourished working with Francis and up and coming defenseman Brain Leetch. and Vancouver finished second place in the Smythe Division. After spending his early career in Cincinnati and Buffalo, Francis finally found himself on a contending team. “It’s been a lot of fun this year” said Francis. “I really believe this team has what it takes to make a run at the Cup.”

The Canucks were edged out by the Seattle Thunderbirds for first place. The two teams went back and fourth for the top spot heading into the final week of the year, before Seattle won the last two games of the season while Vancouver did not, giving the T-Birds the title despite some injuries to key players.

The Norris Division was a tight race, with St Louis, Houston and Colorado all fighting for home ice advantage in the playoffs. The Chicago Blackhawks climbed back into the post-season for the First time since 1981. Part of the reason for Chicago's playoff return was the disastrous season in Winnipeg. The Jets lost stars such as Kent Nilsson and Morris Lukowich to retirement and plummeted to 5th place in the Norris Division with 69 points. Winnipeg struggled with goaltending all season but most of the blame was placed on the Jets’ depth players, and ultimately, on head coach Tom McVie. McVie was dismissed immediately after the season ended.

In the Wales, Washington finished first in the conference despite Mark Messier missing ten games with a knee injury. Jari Kurri stepped up big for the Capitals, who also relied heavily on Glenn Andersen and Jeff Brown and of course, goaltender Vladislav Tretiak. The Caps became one of the tightest teams to play against, taking the division thanks to their ability to come back late in a game. The defending champion Hartford Whalers won the Adams Division with Ray Bourque taking defenseman of the year honors. Quebec nearly beat out Hartford for the division with one of the most balanced rosters in the league. Mario Lemieux and the Maple Leafs came in third, while Detroit slipped to fourth.

The week before the playoffs began, accusations of corruption against NHL President John Ziegler were made public. A rejected ownership applicant based in Charlotte, North Carolina alleged that Ziegler attempted to solicit a bribe from him in exchange for granting his ownership bid. Though no proof was offered at the time, the regular season ended under a dark cloud.

Comments apricated! What do you think?

Hours before the 1988 Stanley Cup Playoffs were set to begin, a story broke in several news outlets across North America about the bribery allegations, which John Ziegler vehemently denied. He used his position to ensure that the NHL didn’t conduct an internal investigation, and to resist the federal criminal investigation. However, everything broke open after New York Yankees owner George Steinbrenner, the Tampa-based owner chosen by Ziegler, admitted to paying a bribe.

As President, Ziegler had the ability to prevent official discussion of the situation, and he did so. The Owner’s Council finally circumvented his authority by holding a meeting without informing him that they were doing so. As he was absent, he was unable to perform his duties, and the league voted 23-2 to expel him from the NHL with only the Red Wings and Canadiens being not in favor. Blackhawks owner Rocky Wirtz was named President of the Owners’ Council with the understanding that he would oversee the development of a neutral league office.

Finally, the council rescinded Ziegler’s expansion choices, and they once again began taking applications for ownership groups. The details were not yet set in stone, but the league would expand by three teams, with the new owners to be selected by a new NHL Expansion Council. The NHLEC will meet in the summer of 1988, and the new teams would begin play in time for the 1990-91 seasons.

Last edited:
Hours before the 1988 Stanley Cup Playoffs were set to begin, a story broke in several news outlets across North America about the bribery allegations, which John Ziegler vehemently denied. He used his position to ensure that the NHL didn’t conduct an internal investigation, and to resist the federal criminal investigation. However, everything broke open after Hugh Culverhouse, the Tampa-based owner chosen by Ziegler, admitted to paying a bribe.

As President, Ziegler had the ability to prevent official discussion of the situation, and he did so. The Owner’s Council finally circumvented his authority by holding a meeting without informing him that they were doing so. As he was absent, he was unable to perform his duties, and the league voted 23-2 to expel him from the NHL with only the Red Wings and Canadiens being not in favor. Blackhawks owner Rocky Wirtz was named President of the Owners’ Council with the understanding that he would oversee the development of a neutral league office.

Finally, the council rescinded Ziegler’s expansion choices, and they once again began taking applications for ownership groups. The details were not yet set in stone, but the league would expand by three teams, with the new owners to be selected by a new NHL Expansion Council. The NHLEC will meet in the summer of 1988, and the new teams would begin play in time for the 1990-91 seasons.
Well, there goes Tampa. Also, does this mean that Ziegler is basically on the hot seat?

I do wonder who the new expansion cities will be?

Interesting situation the league now finds itself in. Public opinion might be a bit down with questions about what else Ziegler might have done.
I’m a little surprised that the league isn’t trying to stagger the expansion teams in, especially since whichever cities they end up being in, might be ready to go earlier.

1988 Stanley Cup Playoffs
Amid the growing bribery scandel, the playoffs got underway with uncertainty in the background regarding who would be the next president of the league. But on the ice, the first round of the 1988 Stanley Cup Playoffs was uneventful and predictable. No series in the Campbell Conference went more than five games with the favored team winning each one. St. Louis swept the Chicago Blackhawks in four straight, Seattle defeated the young Calgary Wranglers in five, Vancouver took down Steve Yzerman and the Oilers in five, and the Houston ousted Colorado also in five games. In the Wales, Mario Lemieux’s post-season was once again short-lived, as the Leafs succumbed to the Quebec Nordiques in a sweep. Philadelphia also stunned the Cincinnati Stingers in a sweep, the only real upset in the first round.

Not every series was so lopsided, however. In a rematch of 1987, Washington defeated the Islanders in six games with goaltender Vladislav Tretiak turning in an incredible performance in possibly his final season. Hartford and Detroit played a very close, hard-fought series with the Red Wings jumping to a 3-2 series lead. The Whalers then stormed back, winning game six 5-3. Grant Fuhr played brilliantly while Pat Verbeek scored twice in game seven as the Whalers took the series with a 7-2 victory.

Hartford advanced to face the Nordiques in the second round. Quebec put up a good fight, winning games two and five, but ultimately could not solve Fuhr as Hartford advanced in six games. Elsewhere in the Wales, the Washington Capitals faced the Philadelphia Flyers in a classic six-game series. Four of the six games went into overtime. Philly appeared to be on their way to a second upset after taking a 2-1 series lead, before Mark Messier and Jari Kurri put the Capitals on their backs, scoring ten goals between the two of them and carrying the team to an intense six game series victory.

In the Smythe Final, Pacific Northwest rivals Vancouver and Seattle found themselves locked in a 2-2 tie after the first four games. Seattle’s Paul Coffey had been injured in game one, but returned to score the overtime winner in game five to give the T-Birds a 3-2 series lead. Thanks to a hat-trick from Ron Francis, Vancouver won game six 4-3 to force a game seven in Seattle. Game seven proved to be a triple-overtime epic. Goaltenders Bill Ranford for Vancouver and Patrick Roy for Seattle turned away shot after shot as the game extended into the early morning hours. Finally, with two minutes left in the third OT, Thunderbirds veteran Guy LaFluer beat Ranford in a scramble in front of the net to end the game and the series in Seattle’s favor.

For the second time in the decade the Houston Aeros would face the St Louis Blues in a playoff series. Both teams had spilt the regular season series evenly. The Aeros’ chances of beating their increasingly bitter rivals looked very good when they found themselves ahead three games to two in what turned out to be an extremely physical series. Game six would be no different, as Houston had an opportunity to close out the series at home. After the Aeros opened the scoring in game six, St Louis went on to score four unanswered goals to send the series to a seventh and deciding game. As game six wound down, several fights broke out as tension between the two rivals finally boiled over. “We just wanted to play the right way and they insisted on mugging our guys every chance they got. It’s disappointing a team is allowed to play that way” said Houston coach Pat Burns. St Louis coach Jaques Demers was quick to respond; “If they were playing the ‘right’ way you’d think they would’ve won.” Game seven was close, tied 3-3 through two periods. Early in the third, Wayne Gretzky gave St Louis the lead with a scrappy goal in front of the net. Pelle Lindberg protested, along with Burns and the rest of the Aeros, claiming he was interfered with. Nevertheless, the goal stood and minutes later, Michal Goulet added another one to give St Louis a 5-3 win, sending them to the Campbell Conference finals. “I’m very disappointed” said Burns after game seven. “I guess this league just really didn’t want another Sun Belt team in the Finals. It amazes me that we get officiating like this at this level.” Demers once again responded; “I can’t believe that idiot has a friggin job.”

In the conference final round, the Washington Capitals would face the Hartford Whalers, while the St Louis Blues would face the Seattle Thunderbirds for the right to play for the Stanley Cup. The Capitals found themselves down 2-0 heading home as it appeared the Whalers were on their way back to the championship round. However, the Caps managed to win the next two at home including an overtime win in game four to tie the series. Hartford took the lead once again in game five and had an opportunity to end it in game six, but Messier would be the hero, scoring two goals in a 4-2 victory in game six to force seven. Jeff Brown was the hero in game seven, scoring in double overtime for Washington as the Capitals advanced to the Stanley Cup Finals for the first time in franchise history. In the Wales, Seattle kept things close against St Louis, but they ran out of gas as the Blues won the series in six to advance to the Stanley Cup Finals for the fourth time in less than a decade.

As always, feel free to comment what your think and predictions for the Finals. We're set up for a good one! Gretzky vs Messier!

Before we get to the 1988 Stanley Cup Finals, there's some pretty big news I should announce.

NEW RIVAL BASEBALL LEAGUE TO BEGIN PLAY IN FALL OF 91 or 92.

Tomorrow, game 1 of the 1988 Stanley Cup Final between the St Louis Blues and Washington Capitals will take place at the Arena in St Louis. But earlier today at Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City, WWE chairman Vince McMahon (42), Real Estate Mogul Donald Trump (41) and Canadian Engineer and owner of the NHL's Calgary Wranglers Nelson Skalbania (50) were in town to announce the formation of the Global League Baseball. All three men had talked about acquiring an MLB franchise, but they were turned down by MLB. Even though no league had tried to rival the Majors since the Pacific Coast League did in the 1940s and 50s, the three men are confident their league can compete for attention with baseball fans everywhere. With so many TV networks hungry for programming to fill the time slots, the GLB has already received bids from Fox, USA Network, ESPN, TBS, TNT and even MTV. CTV has agreed to air games in Canada. the league announced 10 franchises that will begin play in either the spring of 1991 or the following spring.

Here's where the leagues innaugual teams will be placed
North Division
Vancouver
Calgary
Edmonton
Winnipeg
Ottawa
South Division
Phoenix
Washington DC
Miami
New Jersey
Indianapolis

Comments apricated!

Before we get to the 1988 Stanley Cup Finals, there's some pretty big news I should announce.

NEW RIVAL BASEBALL LEAGUE TO BEGIN PLAY IN FALL OF 91 or 92.

Tomorrow, game 1 of the 1988 Stanley Cup Final between the St Louis Blues and Washington Capitals will take place at the Arena in St Louis. But earlier today at Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City, WWE chairman Vince McMahon (42), Real Estate Mogul Donald Trump (41) and Canadian Engineer and owner of the NHL's Calgary Wranglers Nelson Skalbania (50) were in town to announce the formation of the Global League Baseball. All three men had talked about acquiring an MLB franchise, but they were turned down by MLB. Even though no league had tried to rival the Majors since the Pacific Coast League did in the 1940s and 50s, the three men are confident their league can compete for attention with baseball fans everywhere. With so many TV networks hungry for programming to fill the time slots, the GLB has already received bids from Fox, USA Network, ESPN, TBS, TNT and even MTV. CTV has agreed to air games in Canada. the league announced 10 franchises that will begin play in either the spring of 1991 or the following spring.

Here's where the leagues innaugual teams will be placed
North Division
Vancouver
Calgary
Edmonton
Winnipeg
Ottawa
South Division
Phoenix
Washington DC
Miami
New Jersey
Indianapolis

Comments apricated!
Ahh, the XFL of Baseball!

Though I like the idea of more Canadian baseball teams. It a long shot for this league, but I love to see how it works out.

My thought because Trump is involved is that it isn't the XFL of baseball, but more like the USFL. They'll probably attempt to take on the MLB like what Trump tried to do with the USFL in OTL, and fail, just like in OTL.
I saw Vince McMahon so I thought of the XFL. But since you mention Trump, it basically USFL 2.0 for him but with Baseball instead of American Football

I saw Vince McMahon so I thought of the XFL. But since you mention Trump, it basically USFL 2.0 for him but with Baseball instead of American Football
Yup, it's basically a combo of the XFL (2020 not 2001) and the USFL IRL. I could throw in some 2001 XFL elements like cheerleaders, which weren't in Baseball yet. (only a few MLB teams have cheerleaders IRL, thank god). Maybe the GLB can do better then the XFL, but it could easily fail as well.

I get the feeling that having ersatz major league baseball in those particular Canadian cities may be a hard sell--especially with the AAA Pacific League have a presence in there (Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver.) For names, I would recommend the Calgary Outlaws, Edmonton Roughnecks, and Vancouver Orcas. Drawing a blank on Winnipeg though.

Also hoping Ottawa gets an NHL expansion team as a Hamilton expansion would likely draw Toronto and Buffalo's ire.

I get the feeling that having ersatz major league baseball in those particular Canadian cities may be a hard sell--especially with the AAA Pacific League have a presence in there (Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver.) For names, I would recommend the Calgary Outlaws, Edmonton Roughnecks, and Vancouver Orcas. Drawing a blank on Winnipeg though.

Also hoping Ottawa gets an NHL expansion team as a Hamilton expansion would likely draw Toronto and Buffalo's ire.
Calgary, Vancouver and Edmonton in the PCL could just relocate to other cities if they don't decide to pursue action against Global League Baseball. I like your name suggestions for some of the teams. As for the expansion cities, I will create a poll on that during the offseason

Last edited:
1988 Stanley Cup Finals
The 1988 Stanley Cup Finals would pit the heavily favored St Louis Blues against the Washington Capitals. The Blues entered the championship series full of confidence despite a rough road through the playoffs as they had tough times with Houston and Seattle. Wayne Gretzky had already set a new mark for playoff points with 30 in just 17 games. Washington, meanwhile, relied heavily on late game play and their ability to shut down other teams top players. The Capitals did a good job shutting down the Gretzky/Gartner duo in game one, keeping the two of them off the scoreboard. However Michal Goulet finally scored for St Louis in the third period and the Blues hung on for the win. In game two, Washington finally found the scoreboard when Mark Messier scored with a hard slapshot from the point, giving Washington their first lead of the series. three minutes later, Jari Kurri scored to give Washington a 2-0 lead. Early in the second period, Wayne Gretzky was at it again, deking everyone one the ice before putting the puck between Vladislav Tretiak's legs to bring the game within 1. Seconds later, Gretzky connected again with Mike Gartner to tie the game. 94 seconds later, Gretzky scored again to give St Louis a 3-2 lead. After allowing three goals within two minutes and watching their lead evaporate, the Capitals never found their way back into the game and the Blues held on to win 3-2. Heading back to DC for games 3 and 4 the Caps were still confident they could compete with the Blues despite being down 2-0. That confidence would turn into results in game 3, as the Capitals did an excellent job shutting down St Louis's superstars while Tretiak made 38 saves in a 4-1 win. The Capitals rode the momentum from game 3 into game 4, with Glenn Andersen scoring halfway into the first period. The Capitals brilliantly held the Blues off the scoreboard throughout the remainder of the game. As the clock wound down, frustration boiled over as for the first time, St Louis could not find a way to break through.

Heading back to St Louis tied 2-2, the Blues confidence was shaky. They could not figure out a way to solve Vladislav Tretiak or the Capitals clutch play. Prior to game 5 at the Arena in St Louis, veteran Larry Robinson showed the team his Stanley Cup ring he had earned as a member of the Montreal Canadiens in 1973, the first of four he would win in the 1970s. Robinson talked about the challenges the Canadiens had faced and the perseverance that had ultimately made them a dynasty. Motivated by Robinson's words, the Blues came out firing, scoring two goals just ten minutes in. Washington quickly responded with two goals of their own to tie the game. The teams remained tied through most of the game before Robinson finally beat Tretiak to give the Blues the lead. With the Washington net empty, Robinson slid the puck to Gretzky who who slipped it in the open net to seal the win as the St Louis crowd gave their team a standing ovation. Two nights later in Washington, Gretzky, Robinson and Bernie Federko each scored while Peter Zezel and Jeff Brown each scored for Washington as St Louis held a 3-2 lead with two minutes remaining. That’s when Wayne Gretzky scored on a penalty shot that went through the legs of Tretiak to give the Blues a two goal lead. Gretzky would make it a hat trick, hitting the empty netter with 2 seconds left in regulation. The Blues piled off the bench and mobbed goalie Ron Hextall as the officials, in a peculiar decision, decided to not play the final two seconds and ending the game there as the Blues were already celebrating and the Capitals were waiting to shake their hands. Wayne Gretzky was named MVP of the playoffs with 39 points as the Blues hoisted the Stanley Cup for the third time in four seasons.

Comments appreciated! Congrats to Blues fans!

One quick note I forgot to mention. Before the series started, the Blues created a Music video called the “Stanley Cup Shuffle” which is basically a Super Bowl Shuffle style song with various Blues players rapping about how they will win the Stanley cup and how they will do it. Since the Bears didn’t win the Super Bowl the year they recorded the Super Bowl Shuffle ITTL, the “Stanley Cup Shuffle” becomes more famous.