AH Challenge: Fail, Britannia!

1775: Battle for Quebec disasterous for British/American forces. French forces, with Indian and Spanish support, inflict series of defeats along the eastern seaboard. Britain in turmoil at home, sues for any sort of peace. Subsequent peace treaty gives all British possessions in the Americas to France and Spain, all Indian interests to France.

Mass exodus (forced and voluntary) of British settlers from the Americas, chiefly to England and Ireland. Britain recoils from further overseas adventures, monarchy overthrown, Thomas Jefferson becomes first President of the Republic of Great Britain.

No British Empire, no United States, Francowanko triumphant!

Xen

Banned
Some interesting ideas here

What if Napoleon is successful against Britain? Perhaps he makes some wiser decisions such as not betraying his Spanish allies to place his brother on the throne of Spain, and not invading Russia. Something like Zach's TL perhaps, except outside of Australia, New Zealand, Newfoundland and South Africa the British are unable to expand their influence. Maybe even have it where Napoleon is able to conquer Ireland and Scotland setting up friends and family as monarchs of those places and reducing Britain to just England & Wales.

Just a thought. However a Scottish House of Bonaparte with King Joseph on the throne is intriguing.

Seriously, I'm just annoyed that more than half the timelines of note in non-ASB sections, and god knows how many of the ones that aren't, involve either Britwank or Britain staying almost the same rather than losing some of their obscene amount of OTL luck. And, as I said, we have too many people who think the Empire did no wrong and every scrap of its land belonged to it by divine right so they could "spread civilization" or some other claptrap. I hate it more than Ameriwank nowadays, because at least Ameriwank has plenty of Ameriscrew to balance it out alongside its detractors.

Actually the splashes of Pink all over the map in many ways represents the failure of British 19th century policy - they had to exchange an informal commerical hegemony over most of the world for a costly formal rule over a quarter of it. The descent from the post-Napoleonic heights could have gone lots of ways (I critique many maps for not having more varience in their British possesions and going for stuff Britain wouldn't have given a fig for) but you'll nearly always end up with a Britain with lots of stuff by centuries end due to the existing British capital advantages and the British isles in early industrial resources.

I don't see how a Chartist rebellion (that involves a lot of the new rich and which any large company will probably just adjust too) will see Britain losing the informal commercial empire.

Thus you need a pre/during-napoleonic change. I think a very good would be a failed/only partially successful ARW; without such a strident example of the light touch failing, and a much greater demand for resources in North America you'll see other European powers have more influence in Asia and Africa, and perhaps alter the success of the HEIC. Its tricky though, by 1770 Britain already had Bengal and the capital to have more success in Asia than the other powers.

Grey Wolf

Donor
Thats the thing - its not just LUCK. Some of it was skill (Clive for example, Wolfe) but once a certain position had been built up its difficult to go DOWN from there without some external event.

Whilst a 1770 POD obviously allows for a worse ARW, it doesn't destroy Britain's basic position in the world. Its not going to touch the EIC, and their position can only be undermined by a French effort in India itself - it certainly won't be bargained away at the negotiating table.

Given a 1770 start date I think a British Revolution TL might be the way to go...

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Thats the thing - its not just LUCK. Some of it was skill (Clive for example, Wolfe) but once a certain position had been built up its difficult to go DOWN from there without some external event.

Whilst a 1770 POD obviously allows for a worse ARW, it doesn't destroy Britain's basic position in the world. Its not going to touch the EIC, and their position can only be undermined by a French effort in India itself - it certainly won't be bargained away at the negotiating table.

Given a 1770 start date I think a British Revolution TL might be the way to go...

Best Regards
Grey Wolf
I can only see this if the POD goes as far back as the 16th Century, with relations with Scotland becoming screwed from Henry VIII's actions.

Grey Wolf

Donor
I can only see this if the POD goes as far back as the 16th Century, with relations with Scotland becoming screwed from Henry VIII's actions.

Not quite sure how relations with Scotland impact upon a workers uprising?

The problem for France was money - Louis XV was basically bankrupt but fought two major wars (Seven Years and the ARW) and left France in an even more parlous state. It was the question of money that brings the demand for reforms (just as it did for Charles I).

Can a similar situation exist in Britain? Could you have a longer and more expensive ARW? I recall there was an intention at one point to invade Britain, what if this was thrown in the mix?

Alternatively, how much did French radicalism spread to Britain after the Revolution? Initially IIRC the Revolution was quite popular and it was only after it became a series of wars that nationalism, and losses contributed to a demonisation of the Revolutionary

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

(The preceding post has been translated into Britwankese for your convenience: HERESY! Republican drivel HERESY! Lies and slander HERESY! Ameriteen HERESY! Empire bad, Empire lose! HERESY! Also, HERESY!!!one!!!!);)

Can I sig that?

(Not so) Royal Navy

The most certain way to deny the British their empire is for Britain not to rule the oceans. Either France or Spain has to seize the mantle of "Ruler of the Waves".

Still flogging the same old horse, Jord? :p Bitter much?
I criticize because I care, Wanda. Besides, with your jabs at America all the time, you're not much better than me.:p

I started mine by having the young Guy Fawkes blow Sir Francis Drake up at his game of bowls, then Ireland 'inherits' Britain after the Armada has landed.
Interesting. Was this the reasoning behind the Irish-wank story in the Writer's Forum?

In all seriousness, I can think of two ways to do this, though at least one might be considered cheating... ;)

1) Paradoxically, one could do it by having the empire be *more* successful, at least at first. Bear with me for a moment...

Basically, I see a LTTW-esque "Hanoverian Dominions" of several independent kingdoms/dominions/whatever in personal union, and various corporate states that transition directly into either dominions or republics. In this way, the number of actual crown colonies (and thus the size of the "Empire" itself) can be kept quite small, and spun off at a suitable time.

Naturally, since most Americans are congenitally unable to understand monarchy/empires, you will jeer. However, the First British Empire was a rather informal thing anyway, so there... :p
Oh, I understand it. I just don't have to like it, even if it's informal.:p

2) The other solution is what I call "less good luck for Britain".

It starts off with the Americans accepting southern Ontario being within their territory in the Treaty of Paris. Later on, a different result in the French Revolution leads to a constitutional monarchy or an actually (mostly) liberal republic, so no French Revolutionary Wars or Napoleonic Wars.

This leads to the Dutch keeping the Cape, Ceylon, Malaya, the (majority of the) Gold Coast, and the eastern half of OTL British Guiana. Eventually, they also colonise all/more of New Guinea.

The more peacefull France colonises Western Australia and possibly New Zealand (though that might be partitioned between France and Britain).

A less belligerent policy in India (not having the Duke of Mornington as Governor-General would help), and worse luck in the Anglo-Maratha (and Anglo-Mysore Wars) Wars, allong with a surviving Sikh Empire in the Punjab. Eventually, it leads to a more informal EIC sphere of influence over much of India. The Company Lands eventually get spun off as republics/dominions/whatever in good time.

Due to there not being a Napoleonic War, there is no War of 1812. Paradoxically, this leads to greater American influence over the region. They manage to purchase Oregon, the North West Territories, and most of Rupert's Land.
That's pretty good. Out of curiosity, why do you say the Americans "accept Southern Ontario"? I was under the impression that the Brits still wanted it, and that's why we didn't get it, because we hadn't been successful enough in that area to drive them out. Or have I missed something?

There you go- not one, but two solutions from none other than the board's "Mr Britwank" himself... ;)

Now, I must cleanse myself in the holy fires of Britwankishness... :eek:
Yes, (not) sorry for making you go through something so painful.:D

Some interesting ideas here

What if Napoleon is successful against Britain? Perhaps he makes some wiser decisions such as not betraying his Spanish allies to place his brother on the throne of Spain, and not invading Russia. Something like Zach's TL perhaps, except outside of Australia, New Zealand, Newfoundland and South Africa the British are unable to expand their influence. Maybe even have it where Napoleon is able to conquer Ireland and Scotland setting up friends and family as monarchs of those places and reducing Britain to just England & Wales.

Just a thought. However a Scottish House of Bonaparte with King Joseph on the throne is intriguing.
A more successful Napoleon, especially one that doesn't let his ego get the better of him, I think could do a lot to curtail British power. After all, at his height he had almost the entire continent supporting him, which was one of Britain's main fears in history.

I think a Scottish puppet kingdom might be a bit too much, even for him, though.

Actually the splashes of Pink all over the map in many ways represents the failure of British 19th century policy - they had to exchange an informal commerical hegemony over most of the world for a costly formal rule over a quarter of it. The descent from the post-Napoleonic heights could have gone lots of ways (I critique many maps for not having more varience in their British possesions and going for stuff Britain wouldn't have given a fig for) but you'll nearly always end up with a Britain with lots of stuff by centuries end due to the existing British capital advantages and the British isles in early industrial resources.
Perhaps they do have enough of an advantage to guarantee some success, but nothing is inevitable. Especially in alternate history. An informal "organization/empire/whatever" of incredibly strong trade connections is fine by me, but political control does not have to go hand in hand with that and I think large sections of the board have forgotten that. The sheer amount of territory that came under direct British control is very unlikely, and the insistence by the board that this is the only way things can be, or should be, has long since passed my tolerance level.

I don't see how a Chartist rebellion (that involves a lot of the new rich and which any large company will probably just adjust too) will see Britain losing the informal commercial empire.
I think IBC's post mentioned that the turmoil that would come with such a revolution would provide a very strong window for the rest of the world. Other nations take advantage under various excuses, colonies will rebel, and more than a few distant army/navy units won't acknowledge the new regime. In time, Britain may rebuild a powerful trade network, but there's a lot working against them in that time.

Of course, my knowledge of the Chartist movement is spotty at best. You should probably talk to IBC as he obviously knows more than I do.

Can I sig that?
Yes, yes you may.:D

I criticize because I care, Wanda. Besides, with your jabs at America all the time, you're not much better than me.:p

Interesting. Was this the reasoning behind the Irish-wank story in the Writer's Forum?

'All my jabs'? :confused:.

I criticise many countries, not just America. Most of the time, it's Britain. The difference between us is that I criticise countries when I perceive they've done wrong. You criticise because you think people don't agree with you :p.

Anyway, I have a whole timeline of it somewhere, ending up in the 1950s. North America is divided between French, Scandinavian, Spanish, Scottish and Irish holdings, mainland Europe is dominated by Marxian France, and poor old England gets to be Ireland's buffer each time France feels like invading. It wasn't the best timeline, and I used it mainly to attack imperialistic racist attitudes. I had the Irish authorities import all their African slaves to England so that the downtrodden locals' ire would be turned against them instead.

Anyway, I've not read back over it since, and I hate the sound of it now, but it got me a good mark at least :).

'All my jabs'? :confused:.

I criticise many countries, not just America. Most of the time, it's Britain. The difference between us is that I criticise countries when I perceive they've done wrong. You criticise because you think people don't agree with you :p.
You've made a few jokes along those lines. IE, the "25 Worst People In Canadian History Thread" with the comment about just picking any of the Americans that have crossed over or the TR "big stick" joke(you owe me a new keyboard for that, by the way:D). I never said they were bad, I do my own share of ribbing like that, after all.

And it's not because they disagree with me. If I argued with half the people I disagreed with all of chat would hate me(well, more so, anyway). I've said it before and I'll say it again: I hate that Britain and her Empire are treated so gently and praised so much on the forum, a practice that barely gets criticized, and then those people have the gall to complain about Ameriwank/Deutschwank/Francewank when all of those are criticized more and have plenty of anti-wanks as well. Just compare how many balkanized or dystopic Americas/Germanys there are with Britains in that situation.

Anyway, I have a whole timeline of it somewhere, ending up in the 1950s. North America is divided between French, Scandinavian, Spanish, Scottish and Irish holdings, mainland Europe is dominated by Marxian France, and poor old England gets to be Ireland's buffer each time France feels like invading. It wasn't the best timeline, and I used it mainly to attack imperialistic racist attitudes. I had the Irish authorities import all their African slaves to England so that the downtrodden locals' ire would be turned against them instead.

Anyway, I've not read back over it since, and I hate the sound of it now, but it got me a good mark at least :).
Huh. I see that we really hadn't gotten far in the story because I don't remember any of that. It does sound ASB, but I get your reasoning was to attack those attitudes.

You've made a few jokes along those lines. IE, the "25 Worst People In Canadian History Thread" with the comment about just picking any of the Americans that have crossed over or the TR "big stick" joke(you owe me a new keyboard for that, by the way:D). I never said they were bad, I do my own share of ribbing like that, after all.

And it's not because they disagree with me. If I argued with half the people I disagreed with all of chat would hate me(well, more so, anyway). I've said it before and I'll say it again: I hate that Britain and her Empire are treated so gently and praised so much on the forum, a practice that barely gets criticized, and then those people have the gall to complain about Ameriwank/Deutschwank/Francewank when all of those are criticized more and have plenty of anti-wanks as well. Just compare how many balkanized or dystopic Americas/Germanys there are with Britains in that situation.

Again, I say much worse about Britain on any given day. I don't think you were here when Thande went mental on me because of it...

The only reason Britain 'gets off so lightly' is because British posters, those mainly concerned with the issue, are taught all throughout their school lives the evils of Empire. 'Britwank' timelines are rarely more than a little catharsis to redress the balance; it's silly to take offence at that. None of us are going to get up and try to reconquer India because of it. There are some worrying people who wouldn't mind such a thing, but most of them seem to be... American anglophiles :eek::p.

Huh. I see that we really hadn't gotten far in the story because I don't remember any of that. It does sound ASB, but I get your reasoning was to attack those attitudes.

I think the one story I posted here was the pirates in the carribean in the 1930s one, which was deliberately light on world affairs. It's been long enough since my grades now. I'll see if I can dig up the others :).

Flame

Banned
None of you listened to me. :(

The only way of permanently getting rid of the British is the Dutch... (I know this is supposed to be post 1770 AD, but still, it's the best way (in a 17th century POD though).

We have far too many Britwank TL's on this forum, and even many that don't still give the British Empire huge swathes of the world. And of course, a distressing number of posters think the British Empire was saintly and did nothing but good and violently attack those who disagree. It's not only boring, but annoying. I think it's time we reverse this.

I share this sentiment to a certain degree.
Fortunately, a good number of detailed TLs in this forum either avoid, subvert or deconstruct Britwank.

That is very interesting. Has anyone made a Chartist uprising TL? I'd love to read one like this. Not just because of my known anti-imperialism, but because it genuinely seems very interesting and I can't recall any TL's that use the premise.

Thirded, especially if the TL is written by EdT.

I haven't decided quite what to do next after this, tbh. One option is to complete the thematic trilogy of AGB and FaBR with a third TL exploring another poltiician, and if I were to do that there are a number of candidates. Fox would actually be a fascinating choice! Another interesting option would be the Chartists.

Or Russia or America...

Or everyone else, see League of Armed Neutrality.

Again, I say much worse about Britain on any given day. I don't think you were here when Thande went mental on me because of it...
No I wasn't. First I've ever heard of it, in fact. Was that the reasoning behind the whole "Wanderlust and Thande being archnemesises(archnemesi?)" thing so far back?

The only reason Britain 'gets off so lightly' is because British posters, those mainly concerned with the issue, are taught all throughout their school lives the evils of Empire. 'Britwank' timelines are rarely more than a little catharsis to redress the balance; it's silly to take offence at that. None of us are going to get up and try to reconquer India because of it. There are some worrying people who wouldn't mind such a thing, but most of them seem to be... American anglophiles :eek::p.
First, I don't care if they're from America, Britain, or Narnia. It's still annoying.

Second, I don't really accept that any more than I do Ameriwanks with similar intentions. Every colonial power has had the same idea in their schooling these days, but wanks are still considered juvenile and scorned for every other nation but Britain and the posters who go cheerleader for them are also not looked highly upon. I just don't think Britwanks should be held to a different standard despite mostly being the exact same thing as other wanks: juvenile and unrealistic.

I think the one story I posted here was the pirates in the carribean in the 1930s one, which was deliberately light on world affairs. It's been long enough since my grades now. I'll see if I can dig up the others :).
Great.:)

None of you listened to me. :(

The only way of permanently getting rid of the British is the Dutch... (I know this is supposed to be post 1770 AD, but still, it's the best way (in a 17th century POD though).
Sorry, I thought I had commented on that.

I put the 1770 POD because otherwise people just come in and say "Celts don't lose all their lands" or something else very far back which is just too easy. You certainly have a point, I'll admit, but I don't think it's the best way necessarily.