AANW - Stalemate

This is going to be a rather frustrating feature of TTL, being a prequel: the WAllies trying their damnedest to beat the Nazis, failing due to incompetence and later the Germans being able to focus squarely on the west, with only occasional victories against Japan as the war in the Pacific turns to the long grind of island-hopping to break the depressing monotony.

tl;dr: it's a foregone conclusion that there will be no happy endings. We can only hope that there are enough stories of the small pinpricks against Germany to lighten the mood a little - but then, AANW is anything but lighthearted.

I'm seeing two destroyers, specified as one British and one Dutch being lost, what about the third lost destroyer?

We can only hope that there are enough stories of the small pinpricks against Germany to lighten the mood a little - but then, AANW is anything but lighthearted.
There's still the short fight that happens after the Reich tries to invade Iran plus the strategic bombing campaign that ends in 1947 with a truce of sorts. The truce that involved turning the surviving Jews of Europe (less than 3,000) for 2 freighters of rubber.

After the truce the only noteworthy combat occurs in the North Atlantic/Mediterranean between U-Boats and Allied anti submarine forces. Other than that it's a matter of the WAllies biding their time and the Reich enacting Generalplan Ost and turning Europe into a nightmarish hellscape mixed with a never-ending charnel house.

Besides that future chapter topics could be the German response to various resistance movements and rebellions (some of whom supported by the WAllies), the Unit 731 staff that helped the Reich with their bioweapons program, the colonization of Eastern Europe, the completion of the Atlantic Wall, the relationship between Germany and their "allies" across Europe, the indoctrination of German citizens (Hitler Youth/BDM etc), the development of each side's militaries/their approach to nuclear weapons and the inner workings of the Greater Germanic Reich.

Last edited:
Why was it so hard for the WAllies to invade Sicily? With Africa having been rolled up much earlier I would think they would have had time to plan/prep.

Did a lot of Italian units not get sent to Africa when it was clear it was a lost cause and thus get saved or something, making it harder than OTL to land there because there were more defenders?

Good update though. Pretty much captures what would happen. At least Clark will get taken down a peg the narcissistic bastard :mad:

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Why was it so hard for the WAllies to invade Sicily? With Africa having been rolled up much earlier I would think they would have had time to plan/prep.

Did a lot of Italian units not get sent to Africa when it was clear it was a lost cause and thus get saved or something, making it harder than OTL to land there because there were more defenders?
Sicily was supposed to be the next step, but the logistics weren't in place. The landing in North Africa had already been scheduled, the main difference there was to push forward by about a month (it was also a smaller effort than IOTL since there was no Heer presence in the region). The major actions had to be close to the UK, shipping availability alone made that a given.

The Italians didn't continue to reinforce Libya simply because they lacked the capacity without help from the Reich, help that was not forthcoming. The Western Desert was a very different campaign ATL.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
This is going to be a rather frustrating feature of TTL, being a prequel: the WAllies trying their damnedest to beat the Nazis, failing due to incompetence and later the Germans being able to focus squarely on the west, with only occasional victories against Japan as the war in the Pacific turns to the long grind of island-hopping to break the depressing monotony.

tl;dr: it's a foregone conclusion that there will be no happy endings. We can only hope that there are enough stories of the small pinpricks against Germany to lighten the mood a little - but then, AANW is anything but lighthearted.
Pretty much, although there is a lot of story to unpack in the process. The difficulty is that we all know the lay of the land by St. Patrick's Day 1954. That, frankly, is why I was so surprised that folks seemed so eager for a prequel.

Will there be updates on the abolition of the Heer and replacement of the Waffen-SS? I can't wait to see more details on how the Nazis shot themselves in the foot by replacing competent but "unreliable" officers with politically unreliable but incompetent officers.

Pretty much, although there is a lot of story to unpack in the process. The difficulty is that we all know the lay of the land by St. Patrick's Day 1954. That, frankly, is why I was so surprised that folks seemed so eager for a prequel.

Personally I was overly curious about the Reich's attempt at Iran, and the Japanese campaigns against the WAllies in Korea/Manchuria. Getting to see how all that unfolds is just ice cream with my pie when it comes to the delicious brain candy that is the Anglo-American Nazi War :)