a Valkyrie Rises Over Europe, a Alternate Story of the Cold War

Spengler

Banned
Si when Germany Goes does it end up like Hungary in 1921, or are we going full collapse of the Assyrian Empire? Berlin a ghosttown and everything they ever built dismembered?

I get the feeling that once Speer goes it's going to get rather nasty rather quick.

I can say at this present moment with confidence (without spoiling any of what I do have planned), that the situation within the Greater German Reich is definitely not going to go to immediate shit when Speer either dies or is thrown out of power (for whatever reason), as the collapse of the Reich isn't going to actually happen until the 1980's - and the events that trigger said collapse will need to be built over over time in the lead up to it, through Speer's end will probably be the beginning of the road that leads to the end for the Reich; so you are probably right in that regard at least.

Good to hear. Can't wait to see what you have planned for him.

Oh, you will definitely enjoy the many things that I have planned for good ole Tricky Dick down the line, he may have bowed out in 1960 and took a break from politics, he may not be in the limelight for a while, but Richard Nixon never goes away, and he always come back eventually; just wait and see :cool:.

Si when Germany Goes does it end up like Hungary in 1921, or are we going full collapse of the Assyrian Empire? Berlin a ghosttown and everything they ever built dismembered?

It will like neither of those, but the end will be brutal, bloody; and destructive.

One thing that occurs is that Barry Goldwater may end up being TTL's Ronald Reagan - his brand of Goldwater Conservatism/Libertarianism is far more suited than OTL's more social conservative brand.

Oh, you will definitely enjoy the many things that I have planned for good ole Tricky Dick down the line, he may have bowed out in 1960 and took a break from politics, he may not be in the limelight for a while, but Richard Nixon never goes away, and he always come back eventually; just wait and see :cool:.

I'm sure we'll all enjoy whatever you have planed for Nixon. Short of killing him the man will always be up to something that is interesting. But while we wait for his inevitable presidency (because Nixon always (eventually) wins) we will just have to be content with his other activities...
a7703b7fcaae2331de641505801a56e3.jpg

Former Secretary of State Richard Nixon.

Anywho, a new decade has welcomed in a new Presidency but has left me with a question, having not been candidates of note in 1960 or not run, what are LBJ and Hubert Humphrey up to?​

Re: Barry Goldwater and the Libertarian Movement?

One thing that occurs is that Barry Goldwater may end up being TTL's Ronald Reagan - his brand of Goldwater Conservatism/Libertarianism is far more suited than OTL's more social conservative brand.

Considering just how badly Goldwater got trounced during the primary phase of the elections, I think it's going to be a while (if it ever happens); before he can repair his standing amongst the public and the GOP to be considered a serious contender for the nomination once more.

I am curious why you think that Goldwater Conservatism would be far more suited to the situation of the Valkyrie-verse through, why do you think that?.

Re: Being First Secretary of the Nazi Party has it's advantages

Why do I have the feeling that Bormann is going to be the Brezhnev to Speer's Khrushchev?

1475949-borm2.jpg

"Me? What did I ever do to anyone to deserve being branded by a filthy Westerner with such heinous sounding labels, have treacherous accusations about my sexual life thrown against myself? how foolish of you to do so American; you will seriously regret crossing me"

Re: Tricky Dick Shall Ride Again!

I'm sure we'll all enjoy whatever you have planed for Nixon. Short of killing him the man will always be up to something that is interesting. But while we wait for his inevitable presidency (because Nixon always (eventually) wins) we will just have to be content with his other activities...

Content you and the denizens of the Valkyrie-verse themselves shall have to be, hell, I am sure the big four networks will be covering Nixon's adventures in professional golfing and memoir writing heavily, the man's a center of attention always; ain't I right? :)p)

In other news.... I hear that a certain former Secretary of State may be running for Governor of California in 1962, but don't tell anyone you heard the news from me; mmkay? :)cool:)

Anywho, a new decade has welcomed in a new Presidency but has left me with a question, having not been candidates of note in 1960 or not run, what are LBJ and Hubert Humphrey up to?​

Both LBJ and Humphrey - in spite of having not embarked on any presidential ambitions in 1960, are still mulking around in the Senate as they did before, and doing as they did before, with great efficiency as well; through Smathers has been considering possibly asking Senator Johnson to join his cabinet as the Secretary of HEW (HEW being the acronym for the United States Department of Health, Education and Welfare).

I am curious why you think that Goldwater Conservatism would be far more suited to the situation of the Valkyrie-verse through, why do you think that?.

In many ways, the brand of Conservatism we got OTL was a reaction to the threats of Communism - thus the emphasis on traditional values, Christianity and things like that.

Goldwater Conservatism has a much more Libertarian-bend to it, and would be well suited to counter fascism or perceived fascist trappings. The Libertarian approach to social values and mistrust of big government would mesh much more with an America fearful of overseas regimes like Germany and Italy.

That's why I think Goldwater Conservatism/Libertarianism would be well suited for the GOP this TTL - just as OTL Conservatism was a reaction to "godless Communism" TTL Conservatism may be a reaction to "repressive Fascism."

Re: A Magyar's Dream

What is the status of Hungary and is the Arrow Cross in power?

Hungary is still under the "benevolent" rule of Regent Miklós Horthy II (I know I stated that it was a different guy who took the title of King in a prior update, but I have retconned that after further research shows that such a course was implausible), and still technically allied to the Nazis; but the populace has grown somewhat Anti-German since the events of the 1956 Hungarian-Romanian War.

As for the Arrow Cross Party, they are one of the largest political parties within the Kingdom of Hungary; but they do not rule. Regent Horthy does.

Re: A Reaction to Overseas Events...

In many ways, the brand of Conservatism we got OTL was a reaction to the threats of Communism - thus the emphasis on traditional values, Christianity and things like that.

Goldwater Conservatism has a much more Libertarian-bend to it, and would be well suited to counter fascism or perceived fascist trappings. The Libertarian approach to social values and mistrust of big government would mesh much more with an America fearful of overseas regimes like Germany and Italy.

That's why I think Goldwater Conservatism/Libertarianism would be well suited for the GOP this TTL - just as OTL Conservatism was a reaction to "godless Communism" TTL Conservatism may be a reaction to "repressive Fascism."

Hmm... that actually makes a fair amount of sense....

I think you've just given me some interesting potential ideas for the future. ;)

Re: Die Stem van Suid-Afrika

what's the situation in South Africa?

ApartheidSignEnglishAfrikaans.jpg

More or less that, as per OTL.

Yuelang

Banned
Oh Gods, Kaiser K, more reading this TL make me think of you as G.R.R.M :D

That's it, hopeless dystopia where everything is predestined to came really crashing down without even a hint of stability but many false hopes...

Should definitely have a "Story - Only Thread" because reading within such many comments aren't easy...

Interesting update:) Would have licked Kennedy vs NAZIS. By the way your mentioning Germanys end I'm thinking nuclear civil war!:eek: I pray (well if I was religious I would) this isn't the case.

I can say at this present moment with confidence (without spoiling any of what I do have planned), that the situation within the Greater German Reich is definitely not going to go to immediate shit when Speer either dies or is thrown out of power (for whatever reason), as the collapse of the Reich isn't going to actually happen until the 1980's - and the events that trigger said collapse will need to be built over over time in the lead up to it, through Speer's end will probably be the beginning of the road that leads to the end for the Reich; so you are probably right in that regard at least.

Will Speer live till 1981 like OTl or will he live longer due to having the best Medical expertise the Reich can offer at his disposal?

Also what is technological development like in the Reich? Slowly falling behind due to rejecting "Jewish Sciences" or still mostly top notch?

Also looking at the 1960 Map I have a few questions:

1. The Trucial States seem to have gotten independence 10 years earlier than OTL, how did that come into being?

2. The Uk controls Eritrea, Wouldn't they give it to Ethiopia ?
Free French Djibouti is still avaiable as a port after all.

3. I might have missed it, but have Ghana and Madagascar gone independent as well?