A Tropical Queen - Brazil 1964 TL

Goulart in USA
Goulart in USA

In the first week of December 1964, President Joao Goulart left for the United States. On his agenda were talks with President Johnson and parades in New York, as well as contacts with several other politicians.

In Brazil, Leonel Brizola was in charge of continuing the work of the reforms and negotiating with the Congress. The next successes would be the initial steps of the controversial candidacy of Goulart in 1965.

While her husband was traveling to the United States, Maria Thereza went to Rio de Janeiro and, after a few days, to São Borja, in the family lands. He carried his two sons with him.

Jango landed in New York, where he was greeted by Governor Nelson Rockefeller with a big party. Rockefeller declared his support for democracy in Brazil and congratulated the President for the defeat of the coup.
JGFOTO015_9.jpg

President Goulart and Governor Rockefeller, New York
The next day Goulart paraded through the streets of New York, where he was greeted by the population. That same day he went to Washington. President Johnson received Jango with even more festivity than Rockefeller. Hailing him as defender of democracy and warrior against totalitarianism.

The private conversation between the two, however, was drier. LBJ demanded from Goulart assurances that Brazil would align more with the United States, leaving no doubt that the country would not fall into the hands of communism.
250px-João_Goulart_NYWTS.jpg

President Goulart in NYC
With evasive answers, Goulart assured that communism was impossible for him and for Brazil.

On his return to Brazil, Goulart congratulated Brizola on the success of passing through Congress a small electoral reform, which Jango soon signed and became law. This reform did nothing more than reorganize the election dates for governor and senator, to coincide. The rules would be valid as early as 1965.

1BrizolaJango.jpg

Goulart and Brizola

President Goulart decided that after his coming from the United States and his rapid passage through Brasilia, he would take a plane to São Borja, where he would spend Christmas and New Year with his family.

The future shines for me
The future shines for me

President Joao Goulart was on a small plane heading for São Borja. The day was December 18. After a successful trip to the United States, Goulart had received some good news from Brizola.

Jurists gathered at the Palace of the Planalto had developed a strong case law supporting Jango's re-election. After the New Year, the PTB would launch the Goulart-Brizola ticket for the 1965 Election. Against Juscelino Kubitscheck, it would be a tight election, without him, it would be an easy victory.

Agrarian Reform had already been approved. A mini-political reform too. Many other reforms would be adopted in a new mandate. Civil society strongly supported its government. General Kruel's threats were solemnly ignored as insignificant.

The future shines on me, the President thought grinning. The Brazilian nation vibrates to the sound of my name. Everything is working.

jango.jpg

As for his family, Goulart thanked the heavens for the company of his beautiful wife. Maria Thereza was the perfect First Lady. And after the failed coup had been elevated to the level of national heroine. His two sons were intelligent and grew up with health.

- Where are we? - Shouted the President to the pilot.

-In the interior of Rio Grande do Sul. We will arrive in São Borja in a few minutes.

How much he missed his farm in São Borja! It would be good to relieve the tension in Brasilia and the United States. After extremely tiring months after those difficult days in April, it would be the President's first vacation.

Goulart's plans were to spend two weeks in São Borja, until January 5, when he would go to Porto Alegre, where he would launch the candidacy.

- We will arrive in São Borja in five minutes.

The President looked out the window trying to recognize his city, but the rain was strong and he could not see. Lightning struck the sky.

The future shines on me, thought the President again. For the last time.

In a few seconds the strong wind took control of the plane.

The title of this makes me think jango's widow is going to run on his place
Since Brizola was going to be Jango's running mate, I wouldn't be surprised if he got to lead the PTB ticket. If he's elected, someone in the army (EDIT: Amaury Kruel) will definitely try to stage a coup, since Brizola was far more radical than his brother in law.

Last edited:
Thank you! I'll take a look at your TL!

Maybe in the future... :closedeyesmile::closedeyesmile: but in 1965, Maria Thereza will be only 25 years old. And the Constitution of 1946, article 80, III, defines as minimum age 35 years.
About Maria Thereza, could we have her run for some lower office after the 1965 elections? Like, say, deputy? She would have a great chance of winning. I don't know if she has any charisma though, which might be an issue in a presidential election.

Last edited:
I haven't read any Brazilian timelines, so this is my first read...not to mention that I know little of Brazil's History beyond a few key areas but nothing really in the 20th century. But I really am enjoying this timeline, I think it's time for me to find a book about 20th Century Brazil.

So we'll have to wait ten years for Presidente Maria Thereza I assume? There's more than one way to be a tropical queen.

About Maria Thereza, could we have her run for some lower office after the 1965 elections? Like, say, deputy? She would have a great chance of winning. I don't know if she has any charisma though, which might be an issue in a presidential election.

I will not give spoilers, but Maria Thereza will be important in politics in a few years...

Goodbye to Jango (1)
Goodbye to Jango (1)

December 19 was dawning in Brazil. Soon the news spread all over the country: President Joao Goulart died.

In São Borja, the city cried in mourning, they were the first to know of the sad accident. Relatives of the Goulart family fulfilled the role of communicating the news to the young First Lady, who cried copiously upon receiving the news.

Leonel Brizola, Goulart's greatest ally and also his brother-in-law, married to Neusa Goulart, soon embarked for São Borja. Like him, dozens of political allies of the deceased president were heading for Rio Grande do Sul.

In the whole country, crowds went out on the streets. Manifestations have been formed in all major cities of the country. In Porto Alegre, Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Salvador, and in many other cities, shops closed, schools had no class and no cars were strolling in the streets.

The country recalled the fateful morning of August 25, 1954, just ten years ago, when the country received the news of the death of President Getúlio Vargas.

In Brasília, a session of Congress quickly inaugurated the President of the Chamber of Deputies, Ranieri Mazzilli, as the new President of the Republic. Soon after the inauguration, Mazzilli also embarked for São Borja.

folhadespaulomanchete1.jpg

The reaction was also international. The President of the United States has sent official condolences. Nelson Rockefeller, who had received Goulart a few days ago in New York, announced that he would attend the funeral. General Juan Perón announced that he would leave his exile in Spain for São Borja.

For two days the country wept, until on December 21, 1964, the coffin of President Joao Goulart walked the streets of São Borja towards the final resting of the President. An audience of notables waved goodbye to Jango.

enterro.jango_.jpg

The population carrying the coffin of Jango Goulart

The Goulart family, with the beautiful Maria Thereza tragically remembering Jackie Kennedy just a year ago, with Leonel Brizola, with former President Juscelino Kubitscheck, Jânio Quadros, President Ranieri Mazzilli, Senate President Pedro Ludovico, the Vargas family, and many others besides foreign envoys.

While the population shouted “Na hora de votar, eu vou jangar, eu vou jangar. É Jango, é Jango, é o Jango Goulart”, Leonel Brizola went to the side of the coffin and with a microphone began to speak.

Last edited:
Goodbye to Jango (2)
Goodbye to Jango (2)

-João Goulart. My dear friend Jango! How deep is the pain that this death causes in my heart, in the heart of all Brazil. Jango was an honorable man, a real man, a man who believed and fought for what he believed.

Leonel Brizola was speaking fervently, cradling the crowd attending President Goulart's funeral. Juscelino Kubitscheck watched with a smile on his face, but with concern in his thoughts.

With the death of Goulart, the feeling of mourning could boost the candidacy of the PTB. And Brizola would probably be the party's candidate in 1965. His election would be a disaster, JK believed, he was too extremist to reconcile a country. Juscelino believed that his government would be the only one able to completely ward off the shadow of a coup.

-Jango and I always fight for the people! We fight together with Getúlio! We fought in 1961! We fight against the coup! We fight for the entire Brazilian population! And despite his death, we will continue fighting for years together!

A big round of applause ended the emotional speech of Brizola.

And then the beautiful young widow took the place of Leonel Brizola.

maria-tereza-goulart.jpg

Maria Thereza Fontella Goulart

- I loved him. Jango was the most important person in my life and the best person in my life. My children, so young and already orphans, he gave me my beautiful children. When we were married I was only fifteen, but I already knew that I was not just marrying him, I married all the Brazilian people as well. Jango has always been an example to me, he fought with all his might for democracy in Brazil. He was passionate about Democracy, passionate about his ideals, for his ideas, he was never just mine, he was from all over Brazil as well.

There in the audience, watching that speech that was transmitted throughout the country and moved the whole nation, was also Juan Peron. And with the thought in the past, exclaimed in a whisper "Here is the Brazilian Evita that this country deserves".

A7lfCBU.jpg

General Juan Perón and his second wife

- With the death of this wonderful man who was my husband, for a moment I felt empty. But I soon remembered that I did not marry only with Jango, or just with Minister João Goulart, I also married Brazil and all Brazilians. Jango is dead, but my marriage continues. Brazil, I will continue the struggle of Jango.

And with tears in his eyes, the whole of Brazil fell in love with Maria Thereza.

Indirect Election of 1965
Indirect Election of 1965

On January 19, 1965, in the heat of summer in Brasilia, the deputies and senators of the country interrupted their vacations to vote for the next president and vice president of Brazil. As provided in Article 79, §2 of the Constitution, wandering the office of President and Vice-President in the last two years of the mandate, Congress would elect a new president to complete the mandate.

President Ranieri Mazzilli was the great favorite to be elected, probably with an absolute majority, since many considered it unnecessary and dangerous for the country to change its president in such a short time.

321px-Ranieri_Mazzilli_%281961%29.jpg

President Ranieri Mazzilli

The election for the future vice president was more interesting, though. Tancredo Neves and Bilac Pinto have launched candidates. Tancredo was of the PSD, having been Minister in the Getúlio Vargas government, and was supported by Juscelino and also by the PTB. Bilac Pinto was an opposition MP, having been a strong critic of the Vargas and Kubitschek governments

After several speeches in honor of the late João Goulart, the vote began. For President, without surprises, Ranieri Mazzilli was elected with more than 95% of the votes. The president-elect thanked Congress for its support, extended condolences to Jango, and promised to lead the country to a democratic transition after the October 3 election..

In the vote for Vice President, Tancredo Neves won with 59% of the votes, leaving Bilac Pinto with 35%.

lossy-page1-339px-Tancredo_de_Almeida_Neves%2C_primeiro_ministro..tif.jpg

Vice-President Tancredo Neves

Ranieri Mazzilli and Tancredo Neves took office as new President and Vice-President on the same day to fulfill the mandate that would end on January 31, 1966.