A Time For Greatness: The Alternate Presidency of John F. Kennedy and beyond

Dosmestic Affairs in January 1964, and a change in Cambodia
The standard bearer of conservatism
On January 3, 1964, another Republican nominee announced his intentions to enter the race.

Barry Goldwater, Senator of Arizona and darling of the conservative movement, announced his candidacy for the Republican nomination in front of a large crowd in his native home of Phoenix, Arizona:
“Ever since the last Republican convention thousands of Americans have asked me to seek the Republican presidential nomination in 1964. I withheld a decision until now, not because of any attempt to be politically coy, but because I have been giving every aspect of such a decision the most serious consideration.

Today, here at our home, in this State I love, with my family and with the people whose friendship and political interests have placed me where I am, I want to tell you this: I will seek the Republican presidential nomination. I’ve decided to do this because of the principles in which I believe and because I am convinced that millions of Americans share my belief in those principles. I decided to do this also because I have not heard from any announced Republican candidate a declaration of conscience or of political position that could possibly offer to the American people a clear choice in the next presidential election.

One of the great attributes of our American two-party system has always been the reflected differences in principle. As a general rule one party has emphasized individual liberty and the other has favored the extension of government power. I’m convinced that today a majority in the Republican Party believes in the essential emphasis on individual liberty.

I’ve been spelling out my position now for 10 years in the Senate and for years before that here in my own state. I will spell it out even further in the months to come. I was once asked what kind of Republican I was. I replied that I was not a “me-too” Republican. That still holds. I will not change my beliefs to win votes. I will offer a choice, not an echo. This will not be an engagement of personalities. It will be in engagement of principles.

I’ve always stood for government that is limited and balanced and against the ever increasing concentrations of authority in Washington. I’ve always stood for individual responsibility and against regimentation. I believe we must now make a choice in this land and not continue drifting endlessly down and down for a time when all of us, our lives, our property, our hopes, and even our prayers will become just cogs in a vast government machine.

I believe that we can win victory for freedom both at home and abroad. I believe that we can be strong enough and determined enough to win those victories without war. I believe that appeasement and weakness can only bring war. I’ve asked and will continue to ask: Why Not Victory–why not victory for sound, constitutional principles and government–why not victory over the evils of communism?

I’m convinced that in this year 1964 we must face up to our conscience and make a definite choice. We must decide what sort of people we are and what sort of world we want–now and for our children.

My candidacy is pledged to a victory for principle and to presenting an opportunity for the American people to choose. Let there be a choice–right now and in clear, understandable terms. And I ask all of those who feel and believe as I do to join with me in assuring both the choice and the victory.”

Following his announcement, Goldwater would immediately hit the campaign trail, delivering blistering criticisms of the Kennedy administration to crowds in New Hampshire and elsewhere.

He criticized the President’s “welfare state agenda” that threatened to “plunge the United States into financial ruin and destroy our cherished freedoms”. He mocked Kennedy’s policy of “appeasement” and brought particular attention to the recent Conference for Global Peace, which he called “a dog and pony show which did nothing except give legitimacy to the Soviet Union and its puppet nations”.

On the 5th of January, Curtis LeMay, the former Air Force General and another perceived front runner for the Presidency in 1964, endorsed Goldwater for President, calling him “a man of conscious and strength that we need in the White House”.

LeMay was an extremely popular figure among Republicans, and his endorsement of Goldwater both ruled him out as a candidate and gave a considerable boost to Goldwater in the polls.

The 1964 Republican primaries were beginning to take shape. Barring the entrance of Richard Nixon into the race, it appeared that things would come down to Goldwater vs Rockefeller, the two patron saints of their respective wings.

The Clean Air Act of 1964
On January 8, 1964, the Clean Air Act was signed into law by President Kennedy.

This act represented the first piece of federal legislation designed to monitor and control the quality of air in the United States, and limit air pollution.

This act was designed to extend upon the research program that began with the passage of the Air Pollution Control Act of 1955 and encouraged cooperative state, local, and federal action to reduce air pollution. Furthermore, it appropriated $95 million over three years to support the development of state pollution control programs, and authorized The Department of Health, Education and Welfare to organize conferences and take direct action against interstate air pollution where state action was deemed to be insufficient.

Kennedy was pleased by the passage of the bill, as indicated by the speech:

“The provisions included in the Clean Air Act will safeguard our environment for future generations and ensure that all children in this nation can grow up free from the threat of dangerous and harmful air pollutants.”

This was yet another piece of legislation to bolster President Kennedy’s strong environmental record as he approached the end of his first, and hopefully not only, term.

In his second term, he would push for the the North American Water and Power Alliance to further revolutionise how the US approached the environment, and to fundamentally change the way it went about energy production.

But for now, the Clean Air Act of 1964 would suffice as the next step in Kennedy's overarching environmental agenda.

State of the Union 1964
On January 14, 1964, John F. Kennedy gave his latest State of the Union Address:
“Mr Speaker, Senator Johnson, members of Congress, distinguished guests, my fellow Americans…

Tonight, as part of my responsibilities as President, I must report to you on the state of our union. This is a tradition I most look forward to each year, because once again I am proud to say, that the United States is, at this time, a land blessed by peace and prosperity.

We see this prosperity reflected in our strong economy.

One need only look at the increases we have made in our economic milestones, comparing January 1961, next to today.

Our gross national product now exceeds $600 billion dollars annually and is up by 16%.

Industrial production is up by 23%.

Personal incomes have increased by 17%.

Corporate profits before taxes are up by 44%.

Net income per farm for 1963 is up almost $375, or 12%.

Total after-tax income of the American people is up $56 billion, or 16%.

Real disposable income per family is up more than $600, or 8%.

Clearly, the United States is a nation undergoing a period of long, strong economic expansion.

And we are a nation free from the scourge of war or major conflict. Our servicemen have returned home from Cuba, South Vietnam is secure, and our NATO allies stand firmly united behind the cause of freedom in Europe.

But we can be even more prosperous at home, and we can build a more peaceful world.”

On the topic of improving the American economy, Kennedy called for Congress to pass his long-promised tax cut:
“The time is now for Congress to pass long awaited, and long necessary tax relief for the American people, so we might shift from expanding federal expenditure to boosting private consumer demand and business investment.”

Following this, Kennedy announced his next, great major initiative – the war on poverty:
“While private enterprise will be the main generator of employment and ingenuity in our economy, the government, at the federal and state level, has a vitally important role to play in addressing one of the most vital moral crusades in our time – the elimination of poverty.

Indeed, victory in the war against poverty will take the work of all of us – in government, private enterprise, faith, and community groups – to come together and ensure that no American suffers the indignity of deprivation.

It is for these reasons that I believe Congress should pass legislation to make permanent the currently existing food stamp pilot program that has successfully operated since 1962.

However, if we truly seek to eliminate poverty in the United States, then our best course is through the provision of quality education to all the children of this nation.

The Elementary and Secondary Education Act that sits before the Congress now, I believe, represents the strongest piece of educational reform in American history. I would encourage Congress to pass this bill.”

Kennedy then moved on to the next piece of his legislative agenda for 1964, and one that was by far the most controversial – the Civil Rights Act:
“The other great moral crusade of our time – to secure equal rights before the law, for all our citizens – requires urgent action by this congress in the year 1964. It is for this reason I implore the Congress to pass the Civil Rights Act sitting before the Congress.

The passage of this legislation is morally right, and vitally important for the standing of the United States in the eyes of the world.”

Kennedy was careful to only suggest legislation he believed he could pass in 1964. In particular, the Civil Rights Act was something Kennedy desperately wanted done before November, in order to ensure that it did not become an election issue.

But there was a long time between now and the election. It would be up to Kennedy and his administration to work with the Congress to see these through.

The Cambodian Coup
On the 29th of January, 1964, Cambodian military forces, led by Lon Nol, with the backing and encouragement of the CIA, moved to arrest Norodom Sihanouk.

Efforts to remove Sihanouk had been a long time coming but had accelerated following a period of deterioration in relations between the US and Sihanouk’s government. Washington had become convinced that the now-deposed former Cambodian leader was overly sympathetic to communism and had to go.

The pro-western, American friendly Nol would be the man to replace him.

The Cambodian National Assembly voted to strip Sinanouk of all power and transfer the responsibilities of leadership to Nol, on the basis that Sihanouk was attempting to pave the way for the “communization” of Cambodia.

Sihanouk was given a short window to flee, and quickly took up residence in Beijing.

In the days and weeks that followed Sihanouk’s removal, protests and demonstrations broke out across Cambodia’s major population centres. These were brutally supressed, resulting in the deaths of hundreds.

Nol would soon announce the abolition of the monarchy, and beginning of the Khmer Republic, a pro-Western, semi-Presidential republic, that was in practice a far-right military junta.

The morality of the coup was most certainly in dispute, but policymakers and experts back in the US all agreed – they now had an agreeable ally in place in the vital region of Cambodia.

In the ongoing struggle over the fate of South East Asia, Kennedy knew that Cambodia and Laos would have a central part to play.

Last edited:
Goldwater vs Rockefeller? I do not know enough to which one stands a better chance there- either way I do not think either can win against JFK in '64. Particularly with the record outlined in the State of the Union.

I see can many on the 'right' decrying the environmental stuff in the Clean Air Act as 'hurting business' but I bet its a vote winner once the smog clears esp any emissions from cars/trucks etc in the cities.

What's being done to electrify the US train network?

Setting up the Khmer Regime, no way that could go wrong... still it probably means S. Vietnam hangs around longer.

I see can many on the 'right' decrying the environmental stuff in the Clean Air Act as 'hurting business' but I bet its a vote winner once the smog clears esp any emissions from cars/trucks etc in the cities.
Fun fact - the darling of conservative Republicans, Barry Goldwater, was pro-environmental protection and voted for the Clean Air Act.

Goldwater was a supporter of a clean environment and environmental legislation within the nation. The key to understanding Goldwater is the that mainstream idea of what a conservative is and was simply does not apply to Goldwater, as he is a man of contradictions. On one end he was a staunch supporter of civil rights, but voted against the 1964 bill purely on libertarian views with regards towards the freedoms and rights that business owners had. On another hand, this man was against the idea of government intervention in many areas but then at the same time supported federal mandates for strict environmental protections. Here was a man who was the bane of unions (though really since the man was one who detested their corruption and rallied against the unions that were infact corrupt), but if one looks closely, one could see that such contempt was also held against major corporations and the power they had... hell, let Goldwater see what was up today and he would absolutely detest the outcome of the Citizens United Case, something that modern conservatives were more or less for.

Goldwater was a supporter of a clean environment and environmental legislation within the nation. [snip]
Mr Goldwater seems far more complex than a lot of politicians ever where. Was he an opportunist or just 'small government' and 'small business' with a dash of 'keep America pristine?'

Mr Goldwater seems far more complex than a lot of politicians ever where. Was he an opportunist or just 'small government' and 'small business' with a dash of 'keep America pristine?'
Essentially that, though he would've most definitely supported the military heavily in terms of support given, budgeting and such.

In his second term, he would push for the the North American Water and Power Alliance to further revolutionise how the US approached the environment, and to fundamentally change the way it went about energy production.
I really hope NAWAPA happens if JFK is elected for a second term

The fate of Castro, Liston vs Clay, and an update on the state of the 1964 election.
The fate of Castro
On February 5, 1964, Fidel Castro was sentenced to death for multiple counts of murder, false imprisonment, torture, and various other crimes.

His execution was scheduled to take place in late March or early April. Castro made no effort to have the sentence appealed.

Castro’s defence attorney read out a statement just prior to the verdict which called on the Cuban people “to remain united against the sinister forces that seek to destroy us”.

In the months leading up to the trial, the once proud revolutionary looked like a shell of himself. Decades older than the man who had ousted Batista in 1959. The men guarding him noted that he barely ate, and looked tired, haggard, and as though he had not maintained proper care of himself in any fashion.

However, when he sat before the judge, Castro came alive again.

When the judge read out the verdict, Castro yelled:

“Long live Cuba! The revolution shell never die. You can only kill a man!”

It appeared the fiery spirit in Fidel Castro had not gone out completely.

For all the good that would do him in his last few weeks life, no one could say.

Revenue Act of 1964
On February 18th, 1964, President Kennedy got another major victory, one of the biggest of his presidency – he signed into law the Revenue Act of 1964, which saw a 20% tax cut across the board, and reduced corporate tax rate from 52% to 48%

Senate Majority Leader Johnson had been instrumental in the passage of the bill, and the public sympathy toward Kennedy following the attempt on his life (and the ire directed at southern politicians) helped “grease the wheels” so to speak.

But these tax cuts would not have been possible without the necessary compromises and negotiations with Senator Harry F. Byrd.

Byrd, a southern segregationist and fiscal conservative, refused to support the tax cuts unless federal expenditure did not exceed $100 billion.

Kennedy, with advice from Johnson, eventually realized he had no choice but no agree.

As well as this, Byrd was eager to be seen as being on decent terms with Kennedy, as many in the public resented segregationist leaders for inciting blood-lust in Byron De La Beckwith, which nearly resulted in the death of the President.

Thus, Byrd felt that by assisting President Kennedy and something they could compromise on, it would look better for the South. But there was still no way they would budge on segregation.

Thus, Byrd did what he could to expedite the passage of the bill and requested that he, and other Southern politicians, be right next to the President when he signed it.

Kennedy agreed to this as well.

In signing the bill into law, Kennedy had achieved one of his key legislative goals in his first term.

Liston vs Clay
On the 25th of February 1964, a majorly anticipated heavyweight title match took place in Havana, Cuba.

Cassius Clay, the brash, confident number one contender, took on the heavyweight champion Sonny Liston.

It was a match that had captured the public imagination, due in large part to the antics of the challenger.

In the lead up to the fight, Cassius Clay engaged in numerous pre-fight antics to aggravate the challenger.

Clay hired a bus and took a fleet of supporters to Liston’s house in Denver to wake the champion up at 3 AM. This same entourage, led by Clay, followed Liston around and pestered him as he trained in in Surfside, Florida.

The challenger’s verbal assault on Liston was also relentless, often using clever rhymes to insult his opponent:
Clay comes out to meet Liston and Liston starts to retreat,

If Liston goes back an inch farther he'll end up in a ringside seat.

Clay swings with a left, Clay swings with a right,

Just look at young Cassius carry the fight.

Liston keeps backing but there's not enough room,

It's a matter of time until Clay lowers the boom.

Then Clay lands with a right, what a beautiful swing,

And the punch raised the bear clear out of the ring.

Liston still rising and the ref wears a frown,

But he can't start counting until Sonny comes down.

Now Liston disappears from view, the crowd is getting frantic

But our radar stations have picked him up somewhere over the Atlantic.

Who on Earth thought, when they came to the fight,

That they would witness the launching of a human satellite.

Hence the crowd did not dream, when they laid down their money,

That they would see a total eclipse of Sonny.”

He would repeatedly refer to Liston as “the big ugly bear”:

"After the fight, I'm gonna build myself a pretty home and use him as a bearskin rug. Liston even smells like a bear. I'm gonna give him to the local zoo after I whup him ... if Sonny Liston whups me, I'll kiss his feet in the ring, crawl out of the ring on my knees, tell him he's the greatest, and catch the next jet out of the country."

Cassius Clay’s brash persona did not endear him to the public, white or black. It was such that Sonny Liston was the man with public support.

The public wanted to see Clay knocked out, and the betting odds reflected this.

Clay was seven-to-one betting underdog and 43 of 46 journalists asked to give predictions claimed that Liston would KO the challenger in the early rounds.

In the lead up to the fight, Clay traveled early to Havana to meet the locals and get used to the climate. He rallied many poor Cubans in rural areas and generated significant support among the local populace.

“The people of Havana have been kind to me. Kinder than the white man back in America.”

He extolled the values of Islam to the locals, and sparred with domestic boxing talent, eager fans and young children.

When the fight came, the average Cuban was behind Clay.

Liston, by comparison, arrived in Havana as close to the date of the fight as possible. He did not mix with the locals and stayed holed up in his hotel room.

The fight itself would be attended mostly by upper class Cubans and Americans who traveled to see the bout, but there was a public weigh in event.

A massive crowd came out to support Clay and boo Liston. Clay weighed in at 210 lb (95 kg) while Liston was several pounds over his prime fighting weight at 218 lbs.

The fight took place in Havana, Cuba at the Oriental Park Racetrack. This was the spot where Jack Johnson lost his heavyweight crown to Jess Willard.

Clay had very few supporters in the crowd that night, but this did not matter to him – he was fighting for the heavyweight championship of the world, and if he won, he would be as great as he claimed to be.

When the fight began, Clay’s vastly superior speed was immediately apparent.

He easily slipped Liston’s combinations and responded with blistering fast, slicing offense.

The ramrod, telephone pole like jab of Liston that had broke elite fighters apart for years came up short against Cassius Clay.

He would present his head as the target, then slide back and avoid the jab by a fraction of an inch.

Toward the end of the round, Clay landed a vicious series of punches that opened a bad cut over Liston’s eye.

Following this, the commentator exclaimed:
“My goodness, Clay is winning the fight! This could be the upset of the century!"

The second round began and Clay continued his blisteringly fast combinations, landing a series of straight punches that knocked Liston back on his heels.

It was as though Liston could not hit Clay, and Clay could not miss Liston.

Liston began repeatedly wiping away at his eye as blood poured into it. This distraction allowed Clay to get in even more offense.

As the fight progressed into round 4, Clay began to tire and Liston had his best round of the fight, landing a few good body shots in the round.

However, this comeback would be short lived. Clay landed a picture-perfect pull counter off of Liston’s lab in the opening seconds of the 5th round that saw Liston crash down onto the canvas.

The remainder of the round saw Clay batter Liston with shots. Clay did not have traditional one punch heavyweight knockout power, but he had lightning has hands and cutting offense that stung the champion.

As the round ended, Liston’s face was cut up and bloodied. The fight had become target practice for the young challenger.

Journalists at ringside compared the state of Liston's face made it look as though "he had gone through a meat grinder".

As a result of the punishment he absorbed, Sonny Liston, the invincible juggernaut of boxing for the past many years, would retire on his stool at the end of the 5th round.

Cassius Clay was now the heavyweight champion of the world.

“I shook up the world! I shook up the world! I beat Sonny Liston and I’m only 22 years old. I must be the greatest! I shook up the world!”
-- Cassius Clay immediately following the fight against Liston.

Clay left the arena to be greeted by a cheering mass of thousands of supporters. They picked him up and carried him across Havana for over an hour.

One thing was clear – Cassius Clay was a special figure in the history of boxing. He had indeed shook up the world.

Clay would cause further controversy when he announced his membership in the Nation of Islam a few days later, renouncing the name Clay and calling himself “Cassius X”.

This decision brought widespread condemnation on the new champion, who was already a hated figure.

"When Cassius Clay joined the Black Muslims and started calling himself Cassius X, he became a champion of racial segregation."
-- Martin Luther King Jr on Cassius X.

While Cassius X. was now the heavyweight champion of the world, he was perhaps more controversial and incendiary than even the man who had proceeded him.

Kennedy announces re-election
On the 28th of February, 1964, John F. Kennedy in a speech before thousands of Florida Democrats at Miami Beach, announced his intention to run for re-election in 1964.

“We have made great strides in the past four years, but there is more yet we must accomplish. To turn away now from our path to greatness is not an option. We must work together to affirm the rights of all Americans, regardless of his color or background. We must succeed in our efforts to secure a world free from the threat of atomic war. We must bring the heavens in the domain of man and succeed on our manned mission to the moon. And we must destroy the great stain of poverty that still exists in our land today.

Only together can we succeed, and we must. Because if we fail we will burden the next generations of Americans with the issues of our generation.”

In a number of speeches over the following days, President Kennedy would highlight the need for relaxed tensions with the Soviet Union, and treaties like the Nuclear Test Ban Treaty that “protected the world from atomic weapons”.

Kennedy’s policy on pursuing détente with the Soviet Union proved controversial, not just with conservatives, but also with some of Kennedy’s own staff.

Defense Secretary Nitze, for example privately told Kennedy he would step down at the end of Kennedy’s term due to differences the two men had over the position the administration should take toward the Soviet Union.

In truth, Kennedy had become far less hawkish during his term in office – the early crises he faced in Cuba, Taiwan, Turkey and elsewhere made him far more receptive to the notion that the two great powers had to learn to co-exist.

Kennedy’s commitment to détente and to the control of nuclear arms drew particular criticism from Curtis LeMay, the ousted Air Force General and new Republican darling.

On March 3rd, LeMay claimed that Kennedy was fueling “a phobia of atomic weapons” and that “by seeking to provide aid and comfort to our greatest enemy, President Kennedy has proven himself unfit for office”.

Many Americans saw LeMay as advocating for the use of atomic weapons.

Furthermore, LeMay, having endorsed Goldwater, acted as a lightning rod for controversy for the Arizona Senator’s Presidential campaign.

It brought particular attention to Goldwater’s own flippant remarks and his stated willingness to use atomic weapons or approve military officials to use them when they deemed it necessary.

This was in stark contrast to Kennedy, who not only sought arms control treaties with the Soviet Union, sought to centralize the process of nuclear weapon usage, so that the President always had firm control of America’s atomic arsenal.

The negative attention brought on by discussions of atomic weapons caused major controversy among Republicans.

Goldwater himself had become “the radioactive candidate” in more ways than one, and Republicans desperately sought an alternative.

Many saw that alternative in Governor Richard Nixon, who had repeatedly claimed to have no interest in the 1964 Presidential election.

Henry Calbot Lodge, his 1960 running mate, personally appealed to the Governor to enter the race, but he declined.

Lodge was despondent. Without Nixon, a race between Goldwater and Rockefeller was up in the air.

He considered entering the race himself, but feared that doing so would only split the support of moderate Republicans and give Goldwater the nomination.

So he made the only logical choice – on March 8th, 1964, Henry Cabot Lodge gave an impassioned endorsement of Nelson Rockefeller, claiming:
"Nelson Rockefeller is a leader who can and will bring the United States together again."

Lodge, a native of nearby Massachusetts, carried significant support in the state and his endorsement was sure to improve Rockefeller’s chances.

Whether that was enough for the New York Governor to win, only time would tell.

Last edited:
Was the US economy buoyant enough in 1964 for such a big tax cut? Hope it has the effect JFK wants, no govt likes raising taxes after all.

Clay X i barely a name, and certainly not really marketable.

I am betting Goldwater vs Rockefeller, with Nixon smart enough not to want to go up against JFK with the record he has. Wait another 4 instead,

Think is you can be all 'we can have peace' to the public and Soviets, while still upgrading weapons, planes, missiles and strengthering logisitcs, processes and command, as well as recruting more spies etc. Just cos it looks like JFK is 'less hawkish' does not mean he is not working towards keeping up the military.

Was the US economy buoyant enough in 1964 for such a big tax cut? Hope it has the effect JFK wants, no govt likes raising taxes after all.
The economy was in pretty good shape in 1964. Johnson was able to get his tax cuts passed that year too and economic performance in the 60s was strong.

Clay X barely a name, and certainly not really marketable.

Cassius X was the name Ali gave himself after forgoing his birth name, but before being bestowed with the name Muhammad Ali.

March 1963: Hoffa, Malcolm X, the primaries, and Brazil
Hoffa convicted
On March 4th, 1964, Jimmy Hoffa was convicted of attempting to bribe a grand juror during his 1962 conspiracy trial in Nashville.

This was Attorney General Bobby Kennedy’s fourth time taking Hoffa to federal court and now, it had finally paid off.

Hoffa, the man he’d been going after relentlessly for years, was soon to be put behind bars.

Kennedy made no attempt to hide his pleasure with the situation in private or public.

Hoffa viewed this attitude by Kennedy as a certain smugness he could not forgive. He made a promise to himself – he would get his revenge on Bobby Kennedy, no matter how long it took.

Muhammad Ali and Malcolm X
On March 6, 1964, Elijah Muhammad announced that the heavyweight champion of the world, formerly Cassius X, had adopted the name Muhammad Ali.

Elijah Muhammad announced the name change in a radio address:
“This Clay name has no meaning. Muhammad Ali is what I will give him as long as he believes in Allah and follows me.”

Ali’s name change would largely go unacknowledged by the national media – he would still largely be called “Clay” by opponents and the newspapers.

On the 8th of March, Malcolm X announced he was leaving the Nation of Islam to form his own black nationalist group. In a quote explaining this decision, he said:
"I remain a Muslim, but the main emphasis of the new movement will be black nationalism as a political concept and form of social action against the white oppressors."

In truth, there had been tension between X and the leadership of the Nation of Islam for some time.

Malcolm X had previously been suspended from the Nation of Islam for several comments made following the attempt on Kennedy’s life, when he claimed, “the chickens had come home to roost” and that he “was shocked no one had attempted such action sooner”.

X was eventually allowed to represent the Nation a few months later, but several other issues bubbled below the surface, such as X’s disillusionment with how the organization was run, friction between himself and Elijah Muhammad, as well as the considerable attention X got from the media.

All these things led Malcolm X to decide that he was better off striking out on his own.

He would soon set up the headquarters of his new organization, Muslim Mosque Inc, and operate out of the Hotel Theresa in Harlem, New York.

Malcolm X had began a new chapter in his life, and that would change both himself and the world around him in ways that few could ever predict.

The New Hampshire Primary
On March 10th, 1964, the New Hampshire primaries took place.

It had been a hotly contested affair leading up the primaries. Rockefeller had led in the polls, following a number of scandals during Goldwater’s campaign around nuclear weapons had badly damaged his standing. As well as this, the endorsement from Henry Cabot Lodge had seen a bounce in the polls too.

Rockefeller was favored to win, but Rockefeller was still viewed with suspicion by the Republican base, particularly following his divorce and quick re-marriage to Margaretta Large Fitler.

By the time the polls closed, it was anyone’s guess who would win.

This unpredictability was reflected in the closeness of the results.

Rockefeller received 26% of the vote, with Goldwater receiving 25%, while write-in candidates Nixon and Lodge gained 22% and 10% of the vote, respectively.

The remaining 17% of the vote was split between other candidates such as George Romney, Margret Chase Smith, Jim Rhodes, and others.

These results reflected the fractured state of the current Republican Party, with moderates and conservatives increasingly opposed to future direction of the GOP.

Rockefeller and Goldwater both tried to claim victory following the results – Rockefeller for winning the most votes, Goldwater for outperforming the polls. But in truth, the first primary of the Republican election cycle showed the deep divisions that existed in the Republican Party.

Pundits agreed that only Governor Richard Nixon could unite the party at this stage, but once again, following his strong showing as a write-in candidate in New Hampshire, Nixon made clear he would not run, saying:
“I will not be a candidate for President in 1964. I have full confidence in the strong field of candidates in the race at present and believe we will have a Republican victory in 1964.”

All things considered; the race was still anyone’s to win.

The next Republican primary in Wisconsin would assuredly be won by a favorite son candidate.

In truth, the Democratic primary race in Wisconsin proved far more interesting in retrospect – Alabama Governor George Wallace’s name was on the ballot in the state, and he had shifted his campaign merchandise from Confederate flags and “Stand Up for Alabama” signs to American Flags and “Stand Up for America” signs.

Wallace campaigned hard in neighborhoods made up of immigrants Poland, Czechoslovakia, Hungary and Yugoslavia. They responded well to Wallace’s bread-and-butter issue of opposition to civil rights legislation. Wallace was able to use the Civil Rights Act to prey upon white anxieties of ethnic minority people stealing jobs, moving into neighborhoods, and sending their children to local (meaning “white”) schools.

As well as that, Wallace’s hard-line anti-communism appealed to these communities, whose home countries were trapped behind the Iron Curtain.

Wallace was not running against Kennedy, but instead against John W. Reynolds Jr, Wisconsin Governor and a surrogate for the President.

No one expected Wallace to win, not even the man himself, but he sought to use his influence to embolden the segregationist movement to prevent the passage of civil rights legislation.

Whether he would succeed this endeavor was yet to be seen.

The Civil Rights Act passes in the House of Representatives
March 17th saw a substantial development in the progress of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, with its passage in the House of Representatives.

This was the result of tireless efforts by Rules Committee Chairman Manny Celler, alongside Bill McCulloch and Minority Leader Charlie Halleck.

The Justice Department under Robert Kennedy was careful to craft the bill in such a way that would not be expansive enough to alienate Midwestern Republicans, like the aforementioned McCulloch.

Ultimately, the threat of a discharge petition was used to force Congressman Howard Smith of Virginia, the chairman of the Rules Committee and a staunch segregationist, to schedule hearings and move the bill forward.

With its passage in the House, the CRA would go to the Senate.

This is where things became complicated.

Lyndon Johnson, who should have been instrumental to the passage of the bill through the Senate, had become embroiled in a scandal around Bobby Baker, the Secretary to the Senate Majority Leader.

It was alleged that Baker used money allocated by Congress to bribe in exchange for votes and government contracts, and also organised sexual favours for this same purpose.

Baker had worked closely with Lyndon Johnson for his entire tenure as Senate Majority leader up until his resignation on October 7, 1963.

As such, substantial questions were raised about Johnson’s involvement, knowledge and complicity in Baker’s alleged misdeeds.

The controversy grew steadily as congressional investigations continued and it was beginning to impact the running of the Senate itself.

Johnson had once been the most powerful man in Washington, but now there was a growing chorus of people, inside and outside of the political beltway, calling on the Senate Majority Leader to resign.

President Kennedy knew he, and the nation, could not afford for a bill as important as the Civil Rights Act to be compromised due to the alleged misdeeds of Lyndon Johnson.

A coup in Brazil
The 31st of March 1964 saw the beginnings of a coup by members of the Brazilian armed forces, with the support and backing of the United States.

The coup was the result of many different factors leading the Kennedy administration to believe that the incumbent government, led by João Goulart, was at risk of falling under communist, or at least anti-American, influence.

Chief among Kennedy’s concerns was his belief that Goulart was too friendly with anti-American radicals in his government, Goulart’s criticisms of the Cuban War, and his supposed plan to socialise the profits of large corporations.

As such, the CIA worked to make contact with conservative elements inside the Brazilian military, who themselves were already planning a coup attempt.

Ultimately, the US backed Magalhães Pinto and Field Marshal Humberto de Alencar Castelo Branco, the chief of staff of the army, to spearhead the plot to oust President Goulart.

The coup attempted quickly saw troops loyal to Goulart clash with troops supporting the coup, but it was the presence of the United States naval force, which included the USS Forrestal, that made loyalist troops realized that they could not win, and that further fighting would cost too many lives in a fruitless effort.

Thus, it was decided by Goulart’s loyalists that they would not pursue armed resistance.

On April 2, the National Congress declared the presidency to be vacant and Senate president Auro de Moura Andrade, along with the president of the Supreme Federal Tribunal, swore in Pascoal Ranieri Mazzilli, the speaker of the house, to act as a caretaker President.

Goulart would then depart for Uruguay a short time later.

Following the coup, Lincoln Gordon made clear that President Kennedy fully expected the military to only hold power on a provisional basis, until the next election in 1965. Ambassador Gordon stressed that continued US support for Brazil relied on a return to democracy in 1965.

The Alliance for Progress (formerly the Alliance for Pan-American Progress, now renamed), as devised by Kennedy, would be far less effective if a dictatorship remained in place in Brazil. Though the US insisted that they did not mind if the finger was on the scale to prevent a leftist government from taking power.

This would lead to a 10-year ban placed on who the new government deemed “Goulart sympathizers and subversives”, which the White House had no objection to. This ban prevented them from running for political office.

Thus, the Provisional Government of Brazil was formed led by Castello Branco.

Those skeptical of this new, supposedly temporary government could only hope that its claims of giving up power in 1965 were true.

Last edited:
Well Brazil is in for a rough ride, cannot see proper democracy there while the White House supports them.

Wallace vs JFK? Instead of Rocky? I suppose it could be. Good of Nixon to stay out- a probable Democrat crub stomp in 64 means they will need a figure to rally behind next time when JFK cannot stand.

Hummm Malcolm X and Hoffa are going to be trouble methinks.

marktaha

Banned
How come Ali- Liston ended earlier? Have never been sure what the truth behind those fights was And surely he only started preaching Islam after he won the title.