A Third Major League and An Alternate History of Sports

OPENING POST
To facilitate this re-telling of history, I’ll be using a variety of programs, for a variety of individual sports. The ability to realistically re-sim these sports is why I’ve chosen the ones I have, along with my own personal biases and interests.

The sports I’m beginning with are baseball, basketball, and hockey. In the case of baseball and hockey, I’ll be using the latest version of Out of the Park Baseball and Franchise Hockey Manager, the two well-known games from OOTP Developments. When it comes to basketball, I’ll be using basketball-gm.com, an online browser game that is better than any game I’ve bought, as far as historical simming, when it comes to basketball.

The big chance with baseball is I’ll be adding the Pacific Coast League as a Third Major League, including a post-World Series playoff between the PCL Champion & the MLB Champion, which will be explained below. As a preview, it’s connected to Dwight Eisenhower. In the ’70s, I’ll be adding pro football, either through Draft Day Sports Pro Football or Front Office Football, after I double-check how both games handle historical simulations, along with also adding Tennis in the form of Tennis Elbow Manager 2, which allows simming all the way from the start of the Open Era.

In addition, there will be other sports I might possibly add, depending on what’s available, and if there are decent enough ways to sim those sports, but I’ll be focusing on these ones, especially baseball, basketball, and hockey for the beginning.

Some quick Q&A’s

Q: Why not soccer?

A: Two main reasons – there are good historical databases for long-term sims in Football Manager from what I could find, and frankly, as a filthy American, I don’t have the historical context for the changes in soccer, and honestly, the knowledge to figure out when somebody is outdoing or underplaying their IRL history.

Q: Nothing with college sports?

A: Again, a lack of good simulation games, plus I’d need a connection to the pro version of each game, and that’d just cause chaos.

Q: Free agency, team movement, etc.?

A: I’ll be using the in-game financial information, where possible, along with RNG rolls to determine what and which teams in various sports will be moving, folding, etc. As far as the rise of free agency and such, I’ll be also rolling for the advances in player power within various sports, to see if it happens quicker or slower than our universe.

Q: How will posts be set up?

A: In general, each post will be a focus of a month of news, notes, stats, and such, with obvious focuses on All-Star Games, playoffs, post-season awards, the draft, and if necessary, off-season changes to the rules, team structure, etc.

Q: Will there be any way for readers to get involved?

A: To a certain extent, I’ll be simming ahead so there can’t be too much involvement, but there may be various polling on things like changes to rules, various awards, borderline Hall of Fame players in various sports, etc.

HEADLINES OF A DIFFERENT PAST

September 19th, 1950 – PLANE CARRYING EISENHOWER, FAMILY CRASHES OUTSIDE WASHINGTON
October 4th, 1950 – STATE FUNERAL FOR EISENHOWER, 250,000+ PAY RESPECTS

March 29th, 1952 – TRUMAN DECLINES RE-ELECTION BID AFTER PRIMARY LOSS
June 19th, 1952 – MORSE, WARREN, TAFT, STASSEN, MACARTHUR ALL IN BID FOR PRESIDENCY
July 8th, 1952 – MACARTHUR SPEECH NOT WELL RECEIVED, STASSEN ENDORSES WARREN
July 10th, 1952 – DEWEY BACKS KNOWLAND BID TO STOP TAFT; WARREN FURIOUS
July 11th, 1952 – TAFT / KNOWLAND WILL BE GOP TICKET; DEWEY RUMORED TO BE 'SHOO-IN' AT STATE
July 18th, 1952 – TRUMAN ILL; WILL NOT GO TO DNC
July 22nd, 1952 – SPLIT FIELD; KEFAUVER, KERR, HARRIMAN, RUSSELL AMONG LEADERS
July 24th, 1952 – KEFAUVER AGREES TO LIMITED CIVIL RIGHTS PLANK, DOUGLAS AS VP; WINS NOMINATION
November 4th, 1952 – KEFAUVER/DOUGLAS WIN CLOSE ELECTION FOCUSING ON UNITY AND CONTINUATION OF NEW DEAL

January 13th, 1953 – HUGO BLACK NOMINATED CHIEF; CLARK CLIFFORD NAMED TO COURT

November 10th, 1954 – HARVARD LAW PROFESSOR FREUND NOMINATED TO COURT

March 30th, 1955 – TEAMS ON PACIFIC COAST WANT TO BE EQUAL TO MLB
June 9th, 1955 – MLB OPEN TO TEAMS MOVING TO WEST COAST?
July 15th, 1955 – KEFAUVER LABOR CHIEF SPEAKS ON BASEBALL MONOPOLY IN INTERVIEW WITH LA TIMES
August 13th, 1955 – O’MALLEY, STONEHAM WANT COMPENSATION FOR NO WEST COAST MOVE
September 8th, 1955 – TOP SHELF BASEBALL EXPANDS TO WEST COAST; COCA-COLA WILL SPONSOR CHAMPIONSHIP

January 9th, 1956 – O’MALLEY WANTS NEW STADIUM OR HE WILL FIND NEW HOME FOR DODGERS, EVEN IF EAST OF MISSISSIPPI

May 1st, 1956
YANKEES HOT EARLY; CLOSE RACE IN NATIONAL LEAGUE; ANGELS THE TOAST OF THE PACIFIC

At least to start the first-ever major league baseball season with three national leagues, much hasn’t changed in the two original Major Leagues, with the New York Yankees starting an unstoppable 10-2, behind the hot bats of Yogi Berra (.357 / 4 / 11) and Mickey Mantle (.364/4/14), while a staff led by men like Whitey Ford (2-0, 3.28) and Bob Turley (3-0, 3.86) is keeping opponents off base, while over in the National League, while the boys in Brooklyn aren’t quite as dominant as the Yanks, Duke Snider (.340 / 4 / 11) and Gil Hodges (.333 / 3/ 11) are keeping pace with the Yankees offensively, while a pitching staff overloaded with talent such as Sandy Koufax (1-1, 4.05), Don Newcombe (2-0, 3.80), and Don Drysdale in his rookie season is doing just as well. While it’s entirely too early for any tam to be completely out of the running, the Red Sox (4-9) have stumbled early, as their pitching staff has fallen apart, ranking last in just about every statistic, while their bats are pretty cold as well, only being buoyed by Ted Williams hitting four home runs, and Jackie Jensen hitting above .300.

In the National League, things are pretty well-bundled up this early, with only one bad series separating 2nd from last place, but at the moment, the Redlegs led by Frank Robinson (.271 / 3 /12) and Joe Nuxhall (2-1, 2.52) are tied with the Milwaukee Braves, where Joe Adcock (.273 / 4 / 9) and Warren Spahn (1-1, 1.50) are leading the charge only two games behind the Dodgers. Early on, Bill White of the Giant is leading the home run race after a month with 5, while Micky Mantle has 14 RBIs, all while 3 players are still hitting above .400. With so few starts by any pitcher, nobody is quite yet standing out among the pack, but Herb Score of the Indians and Lew Burdette of the Braves are also having strong beginnings to their seasons.

Meanwhile, out West, the Los Angeles Angels are already opening up a bit of a lead, led by leadoff hitter Solly Drake (.328 / 3 / 9 ), along with tough pitchers like Red Adams (1-2, 1.59) and Gene Fodge (3-0, 1.62). The only true weak point of the team, at least 20 games in (as the league starts sooner with the more temperate weather) is stolen bases, where they rank tied of last in the PCL. Chasing after the Angels are the Solons of Sacramento, who have Harry Bright (.316 / 3 / 14) and Jake Crawford (.344 / 1/ 8 ) leading things at the plate, while a so-so pitching staff tries not to fall apart. Also, four games behind are the Vancouver Mounties, as the first Canadian major league team is doing well, led by C Don Smith (.380 / 3 / 12 ) battering the ball, while Ryne Duren (4-1, 1.48) and Chris Van Cuyk (4-0, 0.75) are painting masterpieces from the mound so far. The only thing keeping back the Mounties is a bit of depth.

Overall, Chuck Essegian of the 7th place Seals is the only highlight of their season so far as he has six home runs and 16 RBIs, and Leonard Hunt of the Mounties leads the league with 17 RBIs, all while Ryne Duren of the Mounties is leading the strikeout race and tied for wins, as Van Cuyk leads the league in ERA. The Angels may be heading for a spot in the PCL Championship so far, but every league except for the Beavers is within 4 of both the Solons and Mounties.

One minor note of trivia is that the first cross-league trade happened between one of the major leagues and the PCL as the Athletics sent SS Jo DeMastri to Seattle for veteran pitcher Bill Kennedy, young pitcher Richard Goodell, and some cash. Not exactly a blockbuster, but it may be helpful for some Trivial Pursuit down the line.

May 1st, 1956 American National League Standings:
s1tswnZ.png

May 1st, 1956 PCL Standings:
j7VQ8UH.png