A Super Mario What-If Thing

I have something to say. What if neither The Lost Levels (the Japanese SMB2 IOTL) nor a reskinned Doki Doki Panic (the American SMB2 IOTL) never happened? And if Nintendo had made a true Super Mario Bros. 2 for a worldwide release on the Famicom/NES and released it in 1987?

If that is the case, then what changes to the Super Mario series will occur if Nintendo went with that direction?

I have something to say. What if neither The Lost Levels (the Japanese SMB2 IOTL) nor a reskinned Doki Doki Panic (the American SMB2 IOTL) never happened? And if Nintendo had made a true Super Mario Bros. 2 for a worldwide release on the Famicom/NES and released it in 1987?

If that is the case, then what changes to the Super Mario series will occur if Nintendo went with that direction?
Thank you for giving me an idea for Imagine A Different 80s. If a real SMB2 happened I would have a new antagonist instead of Bowser. Maybe Bowser's even more evil brother? I would also have new enemies like Bob-ombs(In OTL they debut in US 2 but they can be reused from Doki Doki to save costs) and Electro Bros(Hammer Bros that fire electricity). I would also add a new Shield powerup that can be used to block attacks from enemies.

Thank you for giving me an idea for Imagine A Different 80s. If a real SMB2 happened I would have a new antagonist instead of Bowser. Maybe Bowser's even more evil brother? I would also have new enemies like Bob-ombs(In OTL they debut in US 2 but they can be reused from Doki Doki to save costs) and Electro Bros(Hammer Bros that fire electricity). I would also add a new Shield powerup that can be used to block attacks from enemies.
Huh, interesting idea! Anything else you like to add?

Techically Doki Doki was the proposed mario sequel nintendo rejected as 'too derivatie' yeah OTL was weird

If we got a real SMB2(would be SMB3 unless lost levels is renamed in japan too).

Regardless, Any Sequel could be something like an early SMB3 or something inspired the later Land game, more emphasis in exploration platforming semi lineal levels...

A bowser brother is a cop out and this is before Bowser was the only nemesis,we could see an early tatanga or wario as example

Depend the game itself, if anything this move the timetable, as SMB3 might be 1989-1990(a year later than japan otl), that help nintendo as they delayed the Super Famicom a year waiting to have more cheaper component(and before the whole snes-cd add-on failed)

something like an early SMB3
That's what the gameplay would be like.
A bowser brother is a cop out and this is before Bowser was the only nemesis,we could see an early tatanga or wario as example
It may be a cop out but it is a sequel so they need to build off the first game. The plot would be Bowser's brother avenging his relative's defeat by taking down Mario and Luigi(Luigi would only be a palette swap but he would be playable in single player).

That's what the gameplay would be like.
Yeah could work very nice, we would have the impluse bar or save flying for SMB3?

It may be a cop out but it is a sequel so they need to build off the first game. The plot would be Bowser's brother avenging his relative's defeat by taking down Mario and Luigi(Luigi would only be a palette swap but he would be playable in single player).
Yeah is just a little uncreative, even as a dream, Wart was at least a new villain in context, well them give a precedent for a silbing, mostly i'm against as we could save koopaling for later on

Yeah could work very nice, we would have the impluse bar or save flying for SMB3?

Yeah is just a little uncreative, even as a dream, Wart was at least a new villain in context, well them give a precedent for a silbing, mostly i'm against as we could save koopaling for later on
Ok. Anything else to think of?

Ok. Anything else to think of?
That is the thing, depending how the game is, would affect SMB3, for example they could grind machine and launch SMB3 earlier as 2 and that leave the open spot for OTL 3
Another would be they just renamed 3 as 2 in the west,

Or ITTL 2 could affect the production, the rest dunno. We need some idea before thinking how would butterfly away things

That is the thing, depending how the game is, would affect SMB3, for example they could grind machine and launch SMB3 earlier as 2 and that leave the open spot for OTL 3
Another would be they just renamed 3 as 2 in the west,

Or ITTL 2 could affect the production, the rest dunno. We need some idea before thinking how would butterfly away things
Like what?

Good question. First, the gameplay can be like Super Mario Bros. 3, but with some SMB2 gameplay elements in it as well.
Which and which? the more platforming 3 have? flying added? or the more exploration of doki doki? with throwing things too?

Deleted member 150598

It could be a great idea, but I am skeptical about the Shy Guys, Bob-ombs, Pokeys, Ninji, throwable vegetables, diggable sand and Birdo not being present EVER in the Mario series.

It could be a great idea, but I am skeptical about the Shy Guys, Bob-ombs, Pokeys, Ninji, throwable vegetables, diggable sand and Birdo not being present EVER in the Mario series.
they all are owned by nintendo, they only thing Fuji tv owns from yume kojo are Imajin and his family

Well I think the way they would get in is via reusing assets. Games were often rushed into development so reusing sprites from an obscure Japanese only game isn't out of the question.

Well I think the way they would get in is via reusing assets. Games were often rushed into development so reusing sprites from an obscure Japanese only game isn't out of the question.
And as say before, all those elements are fully owned by Nintendo, the only thing Fuji TV owned where the characthers of yume kojo festival.