A Queen Twice Over: Mary Tudor the Elder Marries Francis I of France

I mean, Henry was actually against young brides, considering his grandmother's history...
His grandmother's history didn't stop his sister Margaret being sent North to Scotland at thirteen..

Don't worry, I promise Catherine won't be getting pregnant until she's fourteen, and fifteen, or near as dammit, before she becomes a mother to a child of her own.

His grandmother's history didn't stop his sister Margaret being sent North to Scotland at thirteen..
It did stop her from being sent at twelve and both Margaret Beaufort and Elizabeth of York advocated for her to be sent at 14 and Henry VII was the one who stopped it before reaching the actual age they wanted, which was 18. Also, Henry VIII was a child at that time.

It did stop her from being sent at twelve and both Margaret Beaufort and Elizabeth of York advocated for her to be sent at 14 and Henry VII was the one who stopped it before reaching the actual age they wanted, which was 18. Also, Henry VIII was a child at that time.
Yes, and I agree with you in an ideal world, but this isn't an ideal world. As @Geoffreylannister pointed out, Henry is already forty. He needs a Prince of Wales ASAP. He can't afford to wait for Catherine to reach her late teens. He's going to wait until her fourteenth birthday to consummate the match and not a day later...

Hoyahoo9

Donor
Oh sure, Celicy is just three and all that so her pouty, testy, willful behavior isn't too unexpected . . . but if she continues to be her mother's daughter as she grows up, the teenaged years could be explosive.

Surprised by the two-year time skip.

Hopefully, we will see what everyone has been up to.
Yes, we have a lot to cover in 1532-1538 (ish) so I thought I had better crack on with it...

What I really need to crack on with, though, is the writing. I have a half-finished chapter set in March 1533 sitting in my notebook (I write everything out by hand first) that I haven't touched for weeks.

I blame the heat. The heat and the fact that work is bonkers at the moment... 😛

Ooh, just in case anyone is wondering, I have cast Bella Ramsey (little Lyanna Mormont) as Catherine de Medici. I originally had her in mind for Isabella of Navarre, but she just seemed too fresh-faced for that role, so Catherine she is.

Section CI - November 1532
Fontainebleau, November 1532

“Anne?!” Francis splutters, unable to believe his eyes, “Why on earth would they name him Anne!”

“Presumably they intended to honour Renee’s mother,” Marie replies dryly, arching an eyebrow, “Or perhaps they had Montmorency in mind, since they asked the Bishop of Limoges to stand as godfather. Montmorency was His Grace’s older brother, after all.”

Francis snorts, and she shoots him a sharp glance, “You didn’t kick up anywhere this amount of fuss when Margot named her son Afonso rather than Francisco like you asked. Why is our son any different?”

“I’m not saying I needed to be our grandson’s namesake,” Francis defends himself, “But, really, Marie, whoever heard of a King named Anne? It’s preposterous. I’d have been happy with Charles or Rene or Henri. Even Louis would have been acceptable, but Anne?! What was our son thinking?”

“I imagine François wanted to name his son for someone who could be held up as a good Christian example,” Marie answers, a touch of asperity in her tone, “I think it’s a good idea. François and Renee are still only young, after all.”

There is nothing outwardly wrong with her words, but they still make her husband bristle. After all, the unspoken “unlike you” hangs clear in the air between them.

He scowls blackly, “This is your fault, you know. You’ve spoilt that boy since the day he was born. Any true son of mine would have picked a Valois name for his heir.”

It is Marie’s turn to laugh derisively, “I’ve spoilt him? You’re the one who sent him to St Malo at seven weeks old, under the care of Madame Landais. If he thinks of himself as a Breton more than a Frenchman, then you’ve only yourself to blame. But then, I’m not surprised you haven’t noticed before. God knows you’re too wrapped up in playing happy families with your Navarrese chit. What did you name the new brat? Amabel or some equally insipid name from a romance?”

"Magdalena, for Isabella's grandmother,” Francis grits out, clenching his fists at his side to keep himself from striking Marie. The passion has always burned hot between them. Unfortunately, in recent years, it has burned as hate, not love.

Marie nods grimly, “Of course. Gaston and Magdalena. How silly of me. I should have known. Of course you’ll allow your moll to name your children for her family. After all, their names don’t matter. They’re just bastards. They’ll never follow you on the throne.”

“Louise, Jean, Gaston and Magdalena,” Francis returns coolly, his voice dripping venom, “Isabella was saying only the other day what a beautiful young woman Louise is growing into. But you wouldn’t know anything about that, would you? Have you even spoken to Louise in the last month?”

His words cut Marie to the quick, but she knows she can’t let it show. Three and a quarter years since she returned from England, she and Francis have learned how to put on a united front for the sake of the Court when they need to, and learned it well. Indeed, in public, they can sometimes even appear almost as happy as they ever were, if somewhat less physically affectionate. But, behind closed doors, their marriage has deteriorated to the point where it can be said to resemble a battlefield, one where the children are their armies. Those left to them, at least. There is an unspoken, inviolate agreement between them that Margot, safely away in Portugal, is off limits. Neither of them ever seek her support, if only to keep from hurting her. But Francis has Louise and Jean, that is undeniable. For her part, Marie has the younger two, Charly and Lisabelle. Moreover, she has the one who really matters. Much to her husband’s chagrin, fifteen-year-old François has grown into his mother’s staunchest ally and defender. He’s already promised Marie that, the day he becomes King, Lady Isabella will be sent from Court, never to darken its doors again. She will be sent from Court and Marie will take charge of her children, as Isabella has taken Louise and Jean from her.

Marie takes a savage pleasure in the thought, and it is this which enables her to ignore her husband’s jibe and turn on her heel.

“Where are you going?”

Francis will never admit it, but his voice is querulous. He hates not having the last word, especially not when it comes to his beautiful, spirited wife.

Marie doesn’t bother turning. She simply throws her answer over her shoulder.

“The nursery. I promised to help Lisabelle with her stitches this morning. Or is even the domestic sphere now forbidden me?”

Francis snarls softly at the bite in her tone, but he knows he has no real reason to keep her from their youngest, so he simply waves her away.

Last edited:
behind closed doors, their marriage has deteriorated to the point where it can be said to resemble a battlefield, one where the children are their armies. Those left to them, at least. There is an unspoken, inviolate agreement between them that Margot, safely away in Portugal, is off limits. Neither of them ever seek her support
Maybe we could soon get a glimpse of Margot and how she has acclimated to the Portuguese court. In the scene between her and François before she sailed away, it seemed as if she was in Marie's camp, after all

VVD0D95

Banned
Ahhh the old chestnut of hypocritical married adults. Of course trying to resolve their issues through words that address their core issues is not a Tudor or Valois trait.

Maybe we could soon get a glimpse of Margot and how she has acclimated to the Portuguese court. In the scene between her and François before she sailed away, it seemed as if she was in Marie's camp, after all
I'll see what I can do. :)
Ahhh the old chestnut of hypocritical married adults. Of course trying to resolve their issues through words that address their core issues is not a Tudor or Valois trait.
No, no, it is not! :) I think Marie would be more devastated than she's letting herself admit if anything ever happened to Francis, and vice versa, but they've lost the ability to communicate their feelings at all...

Well I am sure the servants heard or saw nothing.

The downstairs betting pot about which Monarch wins which daily argument must be very active however…

I feel sorry for those kids, but it’s hard to place the blame on anyone exactly, both Francis and Marie have made some serious parenting mistakes.

Oh, Mary, a lot of this is your fault. I get it, Francis may have moved a tad quick, but it was not as if he had much of a choice! Somebody had to succeed young Henri, after all.

Marie continues to be a thorn on Francis' side even after four years. Francis should have forced her to stay in England instead of allowing himself to see his family be divided between his lover and his wife.

Ever heard of a king called Francois? /s

Everything has a first time.Love Francis’ hypocrisy.

Shouldn’t one of the standard French royal names be Philippe instead of Rene btw?

On a side note, I don’t understand why they no longer call any of the princes Hugh,Odo or Robert, considering they were the founders of the Capetian Dynasty.

Last edited: