A Queen Twice Over: Mary Tudor the Elder Marries Francis I of France

Once I sat down and forced myself to write, something clicked.... Enjoy!
Rochford, June 1537

Dingwall, June 1537

Dearest George,

How Papa ever became an Ambassador at all, let alone an accomplished one, is honestly beyond me. Oh, I’ve heard all the stories – that he was charming enough to have Margaret of Austria, of all women eating out of the palm of his hand, that she accepted Annie into her household because of the great regard she had for him, but I’ve certainly never seen so much as a smidgen of that charm. But then, why would he bother wasting it on me? After all, I’m no one special. I’m just Nora, his youngest and most scandalous daughter, the one who killed his beloved Eliza. Gods Wounds, we both know he only deigns to speak to me at all because I’ve somehow managed to wangle myself the rank of a royal Duchess, and he wants me to use that new-found influence for his sake.

As if I would! Now, if you were asking, the answer might be different, but for him to suddenly turn up here and demand that Jamie make him Earl of Mar, ‘because of our new-found family ties, and because a man whose blood has given rise to so many of noble blood surely deserves a higher rank than just that of Viscount’… Well, let’s just say Jamie and Sawney threw him out of Scotland faster than blinking. Honestly, I’ve not seen the two of them work together that well in years. It would have been impressive if it hadn’t been so ridiculously humiliating!

Needless to say, the Queen has not let me forget Papa’s audacity…

Anyway, Papa has left Scotland in high dudgeon and I believe he plans to ride for your English estates to try to force you into interceding for him, as he knows I listen to you more than I ever have to him. Please God my courier overhauls him, for I know you would never dream of opening me up to such humiliation all over again. I know you know better than to even dare…”

Furious, pounding footsteps break into George’s concentration and he stifles a groan, leaping to his feet and throwing Nora’s letter aside, He’d know that irate pace anywhere.

Christ! What was his father thinking! What possessed him to even try to browbeat a King into giving him anything, even if said King is now their relative by marriage? King James would have had every right to imprison him for lese-majeste, never mind throw him from Scotland!

Before George can marshal his thoughts any more than that, however, his father is on him, black-faced and thundering.

“Your Sister! How dare she simply sit there and let King James and Lord Ross banish me, without lifting so much as a finger? It is the duty of all royal women to emulate Queen Esther, and yet she didn’t say a word! The minx wouldn’t even look in my direction! I’m her father! She had a duty to –“

George moves on instinct. He doesn’t even realise what he’s doing until there is the crack of skin on skin and he sees his father’s head rock back, already purpling and bleeding where his signet ring has broken the skin.

His father stares at him in shock, but George merely scoffs.

“You? Nora’s father? I don’t think so. I was more of a father to Nora than you ever were. Christ, King Henry was more of a father to her than you were. At least he saw her a few times a year.”

Silence fills the room at this pronouncement, the only sound that of the older man spluttering at his heir’s uncharacteristic audacity. George’s next words fall into the space between them like pebbles, cold, hard and unforgiving.

“You never forgave her Mama’s death, did you? You couldn’t look at Nora without seeing Mama writhing in a bed of blood, so you chose simply never to look at her at all.”

George pauses, waiting for his father to say something, anything, in his own defence. When several moments pass and Thomas still says nothing, he sighs and shrugs his shoulders,

“Well, that was your choice, Papa. I’m sure it’s not the choice Mama would have wanted you to make, but it’s the one you made over two decades ago. I’ll not judge you for what you did in grief. But don’t you ever accuse Nora of not doing her duty by this family when you couldn’t do your duty as a Christian, let alone a father, and forgive her for being born.”

With that, George stalks around his father, throws open his study door and then returns to his correspondence, pointedly ignoring the older man until Thomas finally cedes the point and retreats, snarling, from the room.

Porto, June 1537

“Where’s Bella?”

The question strikes Margot like an arrow the moment she steps into Jean’s cabin on the Santa Filipa. She ignores it, merely walking past her brother, so that he has to turn and face her to fire off his next question.

“I said, where’s Bella? She ought to be on board by now, if we’re to sail with the next tide.”

Jean’s voice is sharp, poised to wound, but Margot doesn’t let his prickliness stop her. Instead, she seats herself on the edge of his carved wooden bunk and reaches for his hand, tugging insistently until he gives in to her six-year seniority and sinks down beside her.

Only then does she take a deep breath and inform Jean of the grave news she has come to impart.

“She’s not on board. She won’t be coming with you.”

“What do you mean, she won’t be coming with me? Of course she’s coming with me, she’s my wife. Her place is at my side, whether that’s in France, Milan, Portugal or the godforsaken colonies.”

“No. She came to me last week and told me she’d never wanted to wed at all, and that set her heart on being a bride of Christ a long, long time ago. I took her to our brother the Archbishop and she swore the same to him on the Holy Cross. Henry has commanded her to leave Porto and go and stay at the Convent of Santa Clara until he has decided what is best to do. He’s going to set out for Rome with all possible speed and seek His Holiness’s advice as to whether or not your marriage should be annulled. If His Holiness finds in Bella’s favour, she’ll likely stay at Santa Clara and take her vows as a nun. But never fear, if His Holiness decides to uphold the validity of your marriage, then we’ll waste no time in sending Bella out to you.”

Silence fills the cramped cabin, and, not for the first time, Margot curses the dim light that abounds on ships. The shifting shadows are making it almost impossible for her to read Jean’s face, even though he’s sitting so close to her that their shoulders are touching.

The raw uncertainty in Jean’s next words, therefore, takes her utterly by surprise.

“She’s leaving me too?”

Seconds later, the fifteen-year-old shakes himself and scoffs, “Good Riddance. I never really liked the milksop anyway,” but it is too late. Margot has glimpsed beneath the bravado, and realised that, underneath Jean’s devil-may-care attitude is a lost little boy, the same little boy who looked to her to explain why their Maman wasn’t at his investiture as Duke of Milan, who cried himself to sleep in her arms for a fortnight after they realised that Maman really wasn’t coming home this time, that their parents’ marriage had broken down, and might well never been the same again, who latched on to Lady Isabella when she wove her way into Papa’s life, because, at six years old, he needed a maternal figure, no matter where it came from.

Maman. Madame de Valentinois. Even Margot herself. Every single woman in Jean’s life has left him, abandoned him, whether willingly or unwillingly.

And now Bella’s gone too.

Bella, whom, per the words of the wedding Mass, Jean ought to have been able to rely on until death itself parted them.

Sympathy wells in Margot’s heart and she pulls her brother down, even as he resists, so that his soft dark head rests in the hollow of her shoulder.

“Things will be different in Brazil,” she promises him softly, “Yes, you’ll have to follow Joao’s orders, such as they are, but you’ll be the one making the decisions on the ground. You’re not going to be powerless anymore. I promise you that. I promise.”

Jean doesn’t say anything. He doesn’t have to. His breathing quickens for a few moments, then steadies again. His firm, rounded shoulders ease, just a bit, and, for Margot, that is enough.

They sit together, not moving, until the Captain of Margot’s guards comes, with an apologetic cough, to tell her that, unless she plans to accompany her younger brother to Brazil after all, it is time for her to disembark.

She nods, drops one final kiss on Jean’s temple – one that is almost maternal, rather than sororal – and moves her hand over his head in a silent blessing.

At the door of the cabin, she looks back. Jean has yet to move. He is still sprawled over the narrow bunk, seemingly catatonic.

Margot wants to say something to him, but doesn’t know what.

In the end, she settles for sending up a silent prayer.

“Saint Nicholas, Saint Clement, watch over my brother. Guide him through his new journey, and help him work out his true path in life. And, please, let him know he is loved.”
Well, you made me care (somewhat) for Jean.
And, of course, the “dropping a barrel of horse manure on Papa Boleyn” offer still stands! I’ll even write it for you if you so desire?

Am starting to think about the next couple of years, story-wise.

Suggestions for Lisabelle (b.1528) ' s husband much appreciated!!
The future Maximilian II, Holy Roman Emperor? Or maybe the future Antoine, Duke of Lorraine? Maybe Alfonso, future Duke of Ferrara? Or Emmanuel Philibert, future Duke of Savoy

Last edited:
Ooh, he could work. Charles V’s daughters are marrying different cousins ITTL, as I recall.
Yeah - One goes to Hungary and one goes to Portugal iirc - Although I must admit that Charles marrying his daughter to Max while Lisabelle goes to Hungary might make more sense. I can’t recall why he chose to send a daughter to Hungary

I don't recall Poland being mentioned too much (if at all) in this timeline so if things there go as OTL, she could be Sigismund II of Poland's second wife after Elisabeth of Austria dies.

I don't recall Poland being mentioned too much (if at all) in this timeline so if things there go as OTL, she could be Sigismund II of Poland's second wife after Elisabeth of Austria dies.
I may be wrong, but I think he's marrying Louise of Bohemia, daughter of Mary of Austria. Also Lisabelle deserves better.

Part V: Section CXLIX: April 1540
Exeter Castle, April 1540

“Have you got everything you need?” Catherine lingers with her hand on the door of Lillibet’s bedchamber, reluctant to say goodnight. Her tearful persuasion might have been enough to persuade Henry to give into his own inclination and let Lillibet stay in England until she reached her sixteenth birthday rather than her thirteenth – though of course they hid the true reason behind a diplomatic fig leaf of mourning for Mary and issues concerning Lillibet’s dowry – but now, even that extra three years’ grace has come to an end. They leave Exeter for Plymouth in the morning, from whence Lillibet will sail to Savoy.

Catherine’s heart is aching. She can’t imagine life in England without her now sixteen-year-old stepdaughter at her side. Oh, her ladies are fantastic, particularly Lady Surrey, but they’re not Lillibet.

Lillibet, who is more like her younger sister than her daughter, although with only three and half years between them, perhaps that isn’t all that surprising.

Lillibet, with whom she has been so close over the past eighteen months, since her eldest stepdaughter left the nursery behind her, that their households have been all but indistinguishable.

Lillibet, the only one who can keep Cecily, Edward and Charlie from each other’s throats. Catherine dreads the day they have to hold a formal banquet without Lillibet there to keep the peace between her headstrong younger siblings. Heavens knows Cecily won’t step into that pair of shoes. The red-haired rising eleven-year-old has none of her older sister’s acumen for soothing nursery squabbles. Indeed, she’s more than likely to be the one causing them, for, while she has more or less learnt to behave in public, behind the doors of Hunsdon, she is still almost as sulky and explosive as she was at five, often screaming herself hoarse at Doña Mencia or one of her companions at the slightest provocation.

Catherine’s only comfort is that Eliza Brandon, newly married to the young Baron Herbert, will be staying behind, providing a link to the past, when Lillibet and Kitty set sail. Well, that and the fact that, once they turn seven, Edward will be sent to Ludlow and Charlie to Calais, meaning they won’t be in Cecily’s vicinity for much of the year. Perhaps, with a bit more distance between them, the middle children in the royal nursery will learn to get along better.

Sensing her stepmother’s reluctance, Lillibet smiles and pats the edge of her tester bed, inviting Catherine to stay just that little bit longer.

“Of course I’m ready, Mama. I’ve got everything I need – everything I could possibly want. My plate, my dresses, my jewels. Even Cinders is coming! And Kitty is more than ready to act as my Chief Lady of the Bedchamber, let me tell you!”

Catherine chuckles. Kitty Howard has always been the most effusive of Lillibet’s household, and, in some ways, making her head of Lillibet’s household, rather than the younger but more responsible Eliza, had been something of an interesting choice, although they’d been rather forced into it when Eliza had been betrothed to Baron Herbert. They can hardly send the future Countess of Worcester to Savoy, after all. However, on reflection, she thinks it might just work out. Kitty has always been able to bring out dutiful Lillibet’s more playful side, meaning she should be able to ease Lillibet’s transition to her new country, by not letting her vanish behind a wall of haughty courtesy, as the teenager is sometimes wont to do when she’s discomfited.

“I’ll bet she is,” she teases, before humming in thought, “You’ve got your portraits?”

It is Lillibet’s turn to laugh, “After all the trouble we went to get them this winter? I wouldn’t dare leave them behind! Papa would string me from the battlements!”

Sinking on to the edge of the bed, Catherine rolls her eyes and shares a wry smile with the younger girl.

Mary’s death, coming so hard on the heels of Charlie’s birth, made Henry incredibly sentimental. As such, last winter, he got it into his head that Lillibet should take a full-size family portrait with her to Savoy.

Oh, the idea was well-meant, but the execution, coming as it did in the midst of the celebrations for Lillibet’s sixteenth birthday and Michaelmas, was nothing short of a disaster.

For one thing, Henry had insisted on Mary being painted into the happy scene, despite her death, leaving the painters no choice but to work from a series of miniatures to achieve their ends. That would have been fine, had Henry not been incredibly exacting as to the accuracy of Mary’s likeness.

Oh, Catherine can forgive him. She’s never lost a child, or even a sibling, so she can’t even begin to imagine the pain he must be going through. However, it is a shame that his demands set the painters on edge so early in the process.

His irritation, moreover, had communicated itself to the children, leaving them cross and flustered in turn. Edward, five years old and newly conscious of his status as heir to he throne, had been unbearably bossy, barking orders at his siblings and reprimanding them sharply if they didn’t immediately jump to do as he said.

Thirteen months younger than his brother, Charlie had squirmed throughout, too lusty and active to find the process even slightly interesting. Indeed, Catherine had eventually been forced to take him on her lap and bribe him into compliance with a steady stream of his favourite comfits – sugared violets.

Add to that Cecily’s scowls and whines, more suited to a toddler than a ten-year-old and the fact that two-month-old Katy, sickly and fractious at the best of times, had been suffering a stomach upset, leaving her hungry and dirty and wailing for the comfort of her wet nurse’s breast what felt like every other minute, and well, small wonder that, by the middle of the afternoon, Lillibet had burst into tears of nervous frustration and Henry had lost his temper completely, threatening to have each of his younger children horsewhipped if they didn’t begin to comport themselves with at least a semblance of royal dignity.

It was something of a miracle they’d ever finished the painting at all, really.

Catherine is suddenly startled out of her musings by the weight of Lilibet’s sleek dark head landing in her lap.

Looking down at her stepdaughter, she swallows the urge to remind Lillibet of her deportment. After all, this is likely the last time they’ll ever be in private together. Lillibet will be sailing for Turin within the next forty-eight hours. Catherine doesn’t want anything to spoil her favourite daughter’s last memories of England.

Instead, she simply tangles her hands in Lillibet’s hair, playing with it as she once saw Lady Surrey do, as she herself has done a thousand times since.

“You’ll be a wonderful Duchess, darling,” she whispers, “If you can keep Cecily, Edward and Charlie from tearing each other’s hair out, you can most definitely rule a Court full of squabbling nobles. Prince Ludovico will be so very lucky to have you at his side.”

“Really?” Lillibet’s voice is small, and more uncertain than Catherine has heard it in years, “If that’s true, then why did Papa delay my departure again? Mary had been Duchess of Ross for a year by the time she was my age. I’ll be nearly seventeen by the time I get to Turin. Why would Papa put off my leaving, not once, but twice, if he didn’t think I wasn’t good enough to be the Princess of Piedmont?”

Catherine sits up sharply at Lillibet’s plaintive words. How is this the first she’s hearing of Lillibet’s fears? They normally tell each other everything. More importantly, how long has her sweet, biddable daughter been suffering under this horrible misapprehension?

“Lillibet, no! That’s not the reason at all!”

Letting go of Lillibet’s luxuriant tresses, she spins the girl in her lap, sliding her hand under the back of Lillibet’s neck and tipping her head so that the young woman has no choice but to let their gazes meet, brown eyes into grey-blue.

“Your father isn’t keeping you from Savoy because he doesn’t think you’re good enough to be its Duchess. He kept delaying your departure because he’s protecting you!”

“Protecting me?” Lillibet’s eyes go wide at this revelation, “Protecting me from what?”

“From sharing the same fate as your sister.”

Catherine sighs, then takes Lillibet’s hand, stroking it with her thumb, “Your father has always blamed himself for Mary’s death. He thinks he wed her to Lord Ross too young, that he should have given her another couple of years in England because of how delicate she was as a child. He thinks having intercourse at fifteen weakened her and that’s why her pregnancies were so hard on her, why she was dead just months after her twentieth birthday. He doesn’t want the same to happen to you. He’s been fighting the Savoyards for you, Lillibet, not to shame you. At least in his own head he has.”

Silence greets Catherine’s words. After a moment, the Queen feels the sixteen-year-old’s head slip to her shoulder and she chances a glance at Lillibet.

The brunette’s mouth is open in a silent ‘O’ as her entire world view is recalibrated.

“Papa loves me that much?” she whispers at last, her voice disbelieving, “I never realised. I thought Mary was far and away his favourite. I’ve spent my entire life trying to match up to her, trying to be my perfect older sister.”

And well, what can Catherine say to that? There are no words and she knows there aren’t. in the end, she simply hums in sympathy and cards her hand back into Lillibet’s raven hair, easing the younger woman back down into her lap.

They sit like that for the better part of an hour, until Lillibet has finally drifted off to sleep.

You better not kill off Lillibet too! Poor girl seems to have had it rough enough already… The royal family will be a mess without what appears to be the only patient one left. I shudder to think of what Cecily will be like now

You better not kill off Lillibet too! Poor girl seems to have had it rough enough already… The royal family will be a mess without what appears to be the only patient one left. I shudder to think of what Cecily will be like now
No, I promise you Lillibet is safe. I've saved her husband and she's going to go to Savoy and have a nice happy marriage :)

Awww how sweet to see the Tudors again, Catherine has her hands full but she seems to be managing just fine. Hopefully, she can keep the children in line with Lillibet leaving, but it seems a fool's errand...

FalconHonour what do you think of this chapter beginning idea for your story?​

Recife, Captaincy of Pernambuco, May 1st,1540

Jean smiled at the squirming infant he was holding carefully in his hands. Gabrielle had been named for the saint whose day she had been born on, March 18th.
……..

Do you like it enough that you would incorporate it into this timeline?