A Queen Twice Over: Mary Tudor the Elder Marries Francis I of France

"Because, heavens above, if they donā€™t help her, Lisbon is going to eat the older girl alive." - hurray for helpful siblings-in-law (to be).

Marguerite's coronation would undoubtedly be the most expensive part of any TV production of this timeline so far based on that dress alone!

Because I'm writing Isabella and Marie's first meeting today, I am formally casting Georgie Henley from her Voyage of the Dawn Treader era (albeit with slightly darker hair...) as Isabella. Thought you might all like to know. :)

DawnTreader0461.jpg

Last edited:
Section LXXXVI - June 1529
I am stuck in the house with the dreaded plague, so I have nothing better to do than write at the moment... You may as well all reap the benefits!
Lisbon, June 1529

ā€œBravo, Margarida,ā€ Joao announces himself without warning, chuckling as he sees his young wife jump at the sound of his voice. Sheā€™s so determinedly poised so much of the time that itā€™s sometimes nice to be reminded how young she still is. It helps him keep his desire in check, if nothing else. Heā€™s promised his confessor he wonā€™t consummate his marriage for another nine months, until Margarida turns fourteen. Sometimes, however, that seems like a hard promise to keep, particularly when Margarida looks backwards up at him, her deep blue eyes soft and eager to please. Just like sheā€™s doing now.

He quashes his faint surge of desire firmly as he continues, ā€œWeā€™ve scarcely been married a fortnight and youā€™ve already begun acting as Portugalā€™s mother.ā€

ā€œWhat have I done to deserve that accolade?ā€ Margarida scoffs lightly, turning to face him more fully.

ā€œLuis tells me youā€™re the reason he managed to say more than two words to his wife on their wedding night,ā€ Joao raises an eyebrow inquiringly and Margarida flushes, biting the corner of her lower lip in embarrassment.

ā€œFrancoise did most of it. Sheā€™s the real linguist in my household. And besides, two weeks wasnā€™t long. Anna canā€™t manage more than a few phrases. Portuguese is a hard language to learn, particularly when youā€™ve spoken nothing but Dutch and German all your life, and of course, she thought she was going to be Duchess of Ross until a year ago, not Duchess of Beja. Iā€™ve known I was going to be your Queen since my sixth birthday. Iā€™ve had a lot more time to prepare.ā€

Margot knows she is babbling, but somehow, despite her usual self-control, she canā€™t help it. Something about this man, something she canā€™t explain, makes her nervous. Her stomach flutters whenever heā€™s nearby. Maybe itā€™s just knowing that sheā€™s married to him; that it will be her duty to give him children one day soon, but she likes the way his blue-grey eyes light up when heā€™s amused. Heā€™s so serious that it doesnā€™t happen often, though.

He's laughing lightly now, however, clearly charmed by her chatter.

Crossing the room to stand behind her, he leans down and places his hands on her shoulders.

ā€œPeace, Margarida. You donā€™t have to explain. Whatever happened, and whatever happens between them now, Luis is grateful to you for trying. And so am I. Itā€™s exactly the kind of thing I expect my wife to do.ā€

He drops a gentle kiss on her brow and then tugs her to her feet with one hand, dipping the other into the pouch hanging at his waist.

ā€œI have something for you, querida.ā€

The jewels sparkle in the candlelight as he pulls them out and Margarida gasps. In truth, Joao canā€™t blame her. The necklace is a thick double-strand of flawless pearls, the strands connected by four large sapphires cut into the shape of flowers. Halfway round the circle, just where the base of Margotā€™s throat will be when she wears it, sits a lozenge-cut sapphire set in delicate silver filagree with a trio of pearls hanging from its bottom edge.

ā€œItā€™s beautiful!ā€

ā€œIt reminded me of your personal badge,ā€ Joao whispers, stepping round behind her so that he can do up the clasp.

Despite herself, Margot has to laugh, because she can see what he means. Sheā€™s adapted her personal emblem from the one her grandmother drew up for her when she was preparing to sail from France, and it is now a shield of French royal blue with a silver Marguerite in each of the three points of the shield.

She fingers the twin ropes of pearls gingerly and cups the lozenge-cut sapphire in the palm of her hand, testing its weight. It is comfortably heavy, a real acknowledgement of her rank and what she means to Joao.

ā€œThank you,ā€ she tips her head to the side so that she can look over her shoulder at him, ā€œI shall wear it at my coronation next week.ā€

Joao smiles, ā€œThatā€™s what I hoped youā€™d say, Margarida.ā€

ā€œMargot.ā€

Margot is astonished to hear herself interrupt Joao, and indeed, he stops short, startled by her boldness.

Still, this is important to her and so she presses on, seizing the brief opportunity presented to her by his shock.

ā€œMy family back in France all called me Margot. Nannette and Francoise still do when weā€™re alone. Canā€™t you do the same? Margarida doesnā€™t feel like me. I always think Iā€™m in trouble when you call me that.ā€

ā€œMargot is a French name, querida,ā€ Joao says gently, suppressing a grimace of irritation. Taking a deep breath, he reminds himself how young his wife still is and what a tough year sheā€™s had, losing two younger brothers and having to step into her motherā€™s shoes, ā€œIt wonā€™t be fitting for the Queen of Portugal to be addressed by a French name.ā€

ā€œOh, Iā€™m not asking for it in public!ā€ Margot hastens to assure him, ā€œI know my duty better than that, I know it wouldnā€™t be fitting. But in private, when itā€™s just the family. Wonā€™t you and Luis and Anna and Isabella and Henrique and Fernando and Afonso and Duarte call me Margot? Please?!ā€

Joao grimaces again. He wants to say no, but Margotā€™s eyes are wide and innocent and he canā€™t quite bring himself to break her heart by refusing her pleading. Not when sheā€™s so young and coping with so much change already.

ā€œIsabella wonā€™t,ā€ he warns, ā€œShe hates all things French since your aunt stole the Emperor from her. But my brothers and Iā€¦Weā€™ll try. I canā€™t promise Margarida wonā€™t slip out occasionally, but I give you my word that weā€™ll try.ā€

ā€œThank you! Oh, Joao, thank you!ā€

Margarida ā€“ no, Margot now, Joao reminds himself ā€“ jumps at him in delight and Joao suddenly finds himself with an armful of excited teenage girl.

It seems the most natural thing in the world to bend his head to hers and seal their bargain with a kiss.

Rambouillet, June 1529

ā€œMarie sails from Dover tomorrow. Sheā€™ll be in Paris next week. Weā€™ll have to go back to receive her.ā€

Francis speaks into his pillow, the words muffled by the down-filled object.

For a moment, Isabella continues to rock from side to side on top of him and he wonders if she hasnā€™t heard him. But then she stiffens and Francis knows, even without looking at her, that she is pouting harshly.

ā€œI donā€™t see why you have to welcome her back.ā€

Francis groans. They have had this conversation multiple times since Marieā€™s return was first mooted. It is beginning to become tiresome.

He tips Isabella lightly off his back and sits up, turning to face her.

ā€œSheā€™s my wife. Questions will be asked if Iā€™m not there to meet her.ā€

ā€œShe abandoned you! Left Margot to shoulder the duties of a Queen when sheā€™d barely come of age! Anyone with half an eye can see youā€™ve grounds for an annulment.ā€

ā€œI donā€™t, actually!ā€ Francis corrects, cutting Isabella off sharply. She blinks at him, startled that he should raise his voice to her. Heā€™s never done that before.

ā€œBut, surelyā€¦abandonmentā€¦ā€

ā€œIs only grounds for an annulment if the husband and wife have been separated for more than two years. Marie hasnā€™t even been gone a year. Besides, sheā€™s been grieving our young sons. Iā€™d be far less than chivalrous if I petitioned the Holy Father for an annulment now, even assuming the case wouldnā€™t be laughed out of court or cause all sorts of awkward headaches about the legitimacy of our children.ā€

Isabellaā€™s face clouds blackly, and she mutters something that sounds suspiciously like, ā€œSheā€™s been merry enough to hunt and dance with her brother,ā€ but she says nothing more and Francis decides to let the quiet grumbling go. Isabellaā€™s young, after all, and probably bitterly disappointed at losing her crown as his unchallenged favourite and tacit hostess.

Still, heā€™d better make it clear that he wonā€™t stand for deliberate disrespect of Marie, at least not in public.

ā€œI have to take Marie back and I have to show her the respect sheā€™s due as my consort. If I donā€™t, given Marieā€™s obvious English support, I risk King Henry telling tales about me to the Pope, and, well, you donā€™t want me to be laid under Interdict like King Phillip was, do you?ā€

He casts a meaningful glance at her rounded stomach and she grimaces, hand straying to her midriff, ā€œI suppose not.ā€

ā€œGood. I knew youā€™d see the sense in what I was saying. Iā€™ll expect you to lead the Court in paying Marie the respect sheā€™s due at public occasions. Particularly in front of the children. You know how Jean, in particular, looks up to you. Heā€™ll only show her respect if you do.ā€

Isabella scowls, but doesnā€™t ā€“ quite ā€“ refuse, and Francis exhales in relief, kissing her gratefully.

ā€œThank you, cherie.ā€

He hesitates, then murmurs the carrot heā€™s been planning against her lips.

ā€œI have to respect Marie as my consort. But I donā€™t have to love her. Not any more. Youā€™re my lady love now. I promise you that, Madame de Valentinois.ā€

It takes a moment for Francisā€™s words to register with Isabella. When they do, she freezes, then rips back from their kiss, beaming.

ā€œDo you mean it? Truly?ā€

ā€œOf course I do,ā€ Francis laughs, ā€œI canā€™t leave your son without a title now, can I?ā€

Isabella squeals, the peals of her delight filling the room and making Francis laugh. Itā€™s been a long time since heā€™s been able to please the girl he loves so easily.

Last edited:
ā€œSheā€™s been merry enough to hunt and dance with her brother,ā€

I am I the only one who thinks that combined with that...

But I donā€™t have to love her. Not any more. Youā€™re my lady love now. I promise you that, Madame de Valentinois.ā€
...kinda signifies troubles? Isabella would certainly try to shit on Mary, maybe she'd procure rumours that she slept with her own brother during her exile in England (like Anne Boleyn was accused of incest).

I am I the only one who thinks that combined with that...

...kinda signifies troubles? Isabella would certainly try to shit on Mary, maybe she'd procure rumours that she slept with her own brother during her exile in England (like Anne Boleyn was accused of incest).
IDK if Isabella would go so far as to accuse Marie of incest but I can see her whining about Francis not setting her aside, especially if Isabella's child is a son. I mean, the girl has already made it very clear that she thinks Francis should pursue an annulment.

IDK if Isabella would go so far as to accuse Marie of incest but I can see her whining about Francis not setting her aside, especially if Isabella's child is a son. I mean, the girl has already made it very clear that she thinks Francis should pursue an annulment.

I think she could (not 100% certain, but that would be funny addition to story), but anyways Isabella and Marie would be source of major political conflict. Mary's side could resort to poison, though....
And if Isabella claims that Francis should pursue of annument, Mary's supporters could start to claim that Isabella used magic to bewitch the King, thus he can't rule and Francois should take the reins of the state (duke of Brittany).