A New Direction The United Kingdoms

Status
Not open for further replies.
[FONT=&quot]The United Kingdom in the early part of the 21st Century intervened in the Civil War occurring in Sierra Leone. The war had been ongoing since 1991, and by 2000 there were numerous calls by even the United Nations Secretary General for a major power to help the beleaguered Peacekeeping forces already present. In OTL Great Britain intervened in the conflict to unusually widespread success, the intervention was not widely reported upon though and the government did not capitalize on the popularity or the widespread success this type of intervention demonstrated.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Post Cold war Britain to the present day is still seen amongst many to be clinging to its former Great Power role and the country is quite often labeled as adrift foreign policy and identity wise with no clear direction. I will attempt to use my point of divergence to attempt to give the UK this new direction in a hopefully somewhat realistic method.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I would like to point out that I am by no means a history expert and can only count on my own research so if you disagree with part of the timeline I hope you will let me know and tell me why. The future of this timeline is in no way set in stone and I will be quite open throughout to adapting it to a hopefully more realistic approach.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]That said this is my first story on here so be gentle and any advice you guys might have is welcome.[/FONT]

Sierra Leone Intervention 1.1

In May 2000 the United Kingdom found itself in the unfortunate position of intervening in its previous colonial possession, Sierra Leone. The Operation known as Pallistar was originally intended to safeguard and evacuate foreign national’s caught in the country’s escalating civil war. The situation took on a life of its own though when Brigadier General David Richard the on field British Commander chose to take mostly independent action in support of the flagging national government to defend Freetown from rapidly advancing Rebels.

This action greatly propped up the moral of the armed forces already deployed and while the British force tried to steer clear of direct military action it was reported there was at least one incident where they were involved in a battle. This led to the successful defense of the Capital by Peacekeeping forces and was a major setback to the Revolutionary United Front (RUF).

Chris-McGreals-Africa-Roy-006.jpg

Royal Marines landing on the beaches of Freetown

Sierra Leone had been in the grip of a violent and bloody civil war since 1991 and despite attempts by both ECOWAS (Economic Community of West African States) and the UN (United Nations) the situation had only deteriorated. The peacekeeping forces were badly led and seemingly incompetent subsequently leading to the capture of nearly 500 peacekeepers by Rebel forces. Despite the ongoing international outcry the situation had continued to worsen to the extent that Kofi Annan was forced to plead with the Security Council to provide support. The United Kingdom despite initial reluctance was the only nation to respond dispatching a Rapid Reaction force including the Aircraft Carrier Illustrious and involving members of the Para’s and Royal Marines to the area.

International reaction to the British intervention was mixed; both Russia and the United States issued a number of negative statements, while Kofi Annan praised the move and the UK’s decisive action. The public mood in Britain to the intervention was mainly that of bewilderment the crisis and deployment of military assets to Sierra Leone was fairly muted and the sudden action of the armed forces caught many by surprise. This soon turned towards skepticism and a general lack of will to be involved in what many saw as a potentially long drawn out conflict.

hms_illustrious.jpg

HMS Illustrious

The immediate and stunning success of the operation was widely reported upon by the international and British media, these reports included numerous on the ground interviews with the residents of Sierra Leone who almost universally painted the British in a very positive light. The groundswell of support that was developed continued to grow as the situation improved, the British success in capturing RUF leader Foday Sankoh, and support it provided to the ongoing UN operations only served to add to this. Continuous news coverage over the next few months swelled the general awareness of the average British Citizen to the plight of their former colony and the general feeling that more could be done.

This increased pressure on the British government forced a review of the current commitment to Sierra Leone and while it was widely agreed that it was unnecessary to provide more direct military assistance, there was room to expand the advisory role already underway and improve upon economic aid provided to the country. This was not altogether completely altruistic as while they did see the benefit of promoting goodwill and pandering to their electorate they also understood that good relations with the country could see its large amount of mostly untapped resources opened up to British investment.

The aid and support Britain provided was to be phenomenal popular within Sierra Leone and it soon became common to see the Union Jack being hung within government controlled areas. The improving situation and growing stability was seen as a direct response to the British Intervention and relations between the two powers soared. By the beginning of 2001 spurred on by the increasingly popular mission, the very grateful President Ahmad Kabbah declared that ‘The People of Sierra Leone will never forget the British generosity in their time of greatest need’.

Events accelerated rapidly from this point, beginning with a bill suggesting that Sierra Leone should look to the past for its future and cast aside its troubled Republican government, returning Queen Elisabeth II as the head of state. This was seen as a way of providing much needed stability and a rallying point for the country. The bill quickly gained support and was seen as a foregone conclusion when President Kabbah himself endorsed it.

By mid of the year Sierra Leone officially became a Constitutional Monarchy once again, its new Queen visited in her first state visit to Sierra Leone for nearly 40 years. The visit provided a true test for the relatively new stability the country was undergoing and it was no secret that the UK upped its level of military assistance to the country during the sovereign’s visit or that member’s of Scotland Yard were present throughout its duration.

QueenElizabethII-in-SL.jpg

Queen Elizabeth II during her first visit to Sierra Leone in 1961

It was in this era of new elections required by the switch that to the utter disbelief of the United Kingdom, President Kabbah intending to run for the post of Prime Minister declared that should he win re-election [FONT=&quot]he would seek to present a referendum asking whether the Country should look to rejoin the United Kingdom in full.[/FONT]

Last edited:
A fascinating premise and so far well-constructed (if we accept the premise, which I don't have a problem with, for the sake of the story). I look forward to more!

So this will lead to a stronger military and better press for the UK? I'm interested to see what will happen with the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.

A fascinating premise and so far well-constructed (if we accept the premise, which I don't have a problem with, for the sake of the story). I look forward to more!

Thanks hope to have the next segment out soon.

I think that last sentance seems to be cut off. Is that something along the lines of joining Britain fully?

Thanks for that missed the fact I'd managed to cut off a bit of my word doc.

So this will lead to a stronger military and better press for the UK? I'm interested to see what will happen with the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.

Doubtful they'll receive better press even with the popularity of the Intervention in Sierra Leone and the UK itself, the international media is going to scream colonialism. Keeping the Carrier's at least this TL, the current OTL set up is a disgrace. Afghanistan, Iraq wise I'm not too sure currently.

We might though see more of an emphasis on requiring local calls for intervention being used as an arguement against the war in Parliament. Perhaps greater support for stuff like the operation in Libya also.

The Referendum 1.2

The Referendum announcement sent shockwaves across not just Great Britain but the world. While the British attempted to overcome the sheer astonishment the news caused, the global reaction was more immediate and violent. Angry Activists demonstrated on the streets of several major cities and numerous editorials lambasted the decision even as newspapers crowed about the return of the British Empire rising from its grave. It was with some surprise that the first government to react to the news was not in fact the United Kingdom but its closest ally the United States, the newly elected President George W. Bush denounced the decision as a return to Colonialism prompting a strong reaction from the British Press.

The Labour Government of the United Kingdom led by Prime Minister Tony Blair found itself in an untenable position regarding the move. To dismiss the matter out of hand was impossible as it would fatally undermine the work already undertaken in Sierra Leone. It would cripple the budding confidence in the British backed government and in the British themselves; that was not even mentioning the surprising popularity the idea gathered domestically. On the opposite side of the spectrum, to accept the proposal or even be seen considering it would severely damage the image of Britain abroad and the belief that the United Kingdom was past its bitter colonial history. Left between the proverbial rock and hard place, the Blair government instead chose to mirror the move by President Kabbah and present the question to the country through a referendum should Sierra Leone vote to proceed with a union with the United Kingdom.

While calls of British imperialism and colonialism continued to abound, the referendum gained an unusual amount of support in the local region with the obvious exception of Liberia. Liberia had been heavily involved in the Civil War for a number of years supplying arms and military support to rebels and taking maximum advantage of the weakness of their neighbor. Despite this it was the former British Colonies of Nigeria and Ghana that took the lead in welcoming the increased British presence in the region, believing it would bring much needed security and economic investment to an area long neglected by the Major Powers. It was somewhat interesting to note in hindsight that it was the Commonwealth countries, all former colonies of the British Empire that approved the most of the United Kingdom’s actions in Sierra Leone and the potential unification of the two states. Most of them saw the action as potential shift of the United Kingdom’s foreign policy at least slightly, back towards its leading role in the long neglected Commonwealth and a move away from its near total involvement within the European Union and NATO.

While the initial uproar took some time to die down, it lost much of its steam due to the joint referendum announcements by both sides. The story itself continued to linger on in the news over the next couple of months as numerous editorials speculated on nearly every part of the potential process. This ranged from how the new countries politics would work, to the effect it would have on the United Kingdom’s foreign policy with its increased investment in West Africa. The story would again briefly flair to life with now Prime Minister Kabbah’s landslide victory, promoting some renewed protests but generally muted when compared to the previous ones. This was mainly attributed to his claim that the referendum would not take place until after the end of the ongoing Civil War.

British investment in the country continued throughout this period, focusing primarily on economic aid and attempting to strengthen the weakened economy of Sierra Leone. The general strategy consisted of subsidiseing British firms operating in the region; with the goal of increased exploitation of the local resources and the improvement of infrastructure which had been understandably neglected. The strategy was not totally economic and continued support was provided to the Military Forces of Sierra Leone which thrived under its British advisors. Its competence quickly became something to be proud of; driving Rebel forces out of nearly every major settlement and it was widely expected that the Civil War was reaching its final stages.

The war would ultimately be wrapped up in the latter stages of 2001, bringing the potential union of the two countries back to the front pages. Kabbah true to his word would follow through on his referendum promise a mere 2 months after the official end of the Civil War. Sierra Leone eagerly invited numerous International Monitors to evaluate the vote, determined to prove the legitimacy of its newly won democracy. The observers would go on to declare the Referendum mostly free of Voting fraud and agreed with its legitimacy despite some protests aboard over the scale of the victory. In the end the vote was a landslide, with nearly 77% of ballot seeking a union with the United Kingdom.

The United Kingdom’s own referendum saw a much narrower acceptance with just over 61% voting for and 30% voting against. With the vote clear it was left to labor Government of Tony Blair to work out the numerous large scale problems of integrating the two countries and dealing with the inevitable backlash.

Last edited:
So the union under the crown here is practical rather than symbolic a la Canada and Australia.

How much autonomy would S-L get in this case?
How does this affect devolution within the rest of the UK?

The premise for this ATL is of course, based on genuine comments at the time. These were no doubt made on the basis of the truly bitter legacy of British Colonialism, that is, not that they came, not that they stayed, but that they left. The decolonisation process was over hasty, ill thought out and left a legacy of appalling governments in just about every one of the (ex) colonies.

Of course, the chattering classes with their unshaven armpits and half formed view of the world, condemn colonialism out of hand. Very few of them have ventured beyond the meeting halls of parties with agendas which made no place for the former empires. If they had, they might be severely taken aback to find in many parts of the world there is a genuine and deep affection for the UK; and a lingering regret that the order of empire ended up in the shambles of the third world and non aligned movements.

Witness the treatment given to the British Royals in the former colonies when they visit - no-one can believe that is simply because some rich white people have come to visit; More likely it is an acknowledgement that we live in a world where stability and order has become a rare and desirable thing.

The two greatest supporters of decolonisation, the then USSR and the USA, were themselves the only true beneficiaries of the process. Their legacy is truly one which their national psyches should take a hold of and account for.

The world is changing around us more than it has, I believe, since the collapse of the central powers in 1919. What was yesterday unthinkable, is today becoming an option .....

So the union under the crown here is practical rather than symbolic a la Canada and Australia.

How much autonomy would S-L get in this case?
How does this affect devolution within the rest of the UK?

Well, the Scottish Parliament, Welsh Assemly and Northern Irish Assembly are already in existence, so we're clearly looking more at a case of 'further devolved powers', but this could very well lead to a more federal situation and the acceptance of the Northern England devolved parliaments.

Interesting, subscribed!

This is happening concurrently with some of Mugabe's most anti-imperialist rhetoric against the UK, which some say he planned to coincide with the Jubilee. I can't imagine he'd be happy about Britain signing an Act of Union with another former colony not too far from Zimbabwe.

Interesting, subscribed!

This is happening concurrently with some of Mugabe's most anti-imperialist rhetoric against the UK, which some say he planned to coincide with the Jubilee. I can't imagine he'd be happy about Britain signing an Act of Union with another former colony not too far from Zimbabwe.

Zimbabwe is a fair distance away from SL .... probably London to Moscow or more ;)

So, wait a minute, does Sierra Leone get representation in the Westminister Parliament?

If it becomes part of the UK then it would have representation I suppose.At resent the population is a bit larger than Scotland but with a younger demographic. Let'ssay there are 50 seats from SL. All three parties that won seas in the last general election in 2007 are centre-left. Now that could have an interesting effect on Westminster!

Devolution and powers is covered in the next update so will answer those questions hopefully after that.

While I do not have much first hand experience of this effect, I have heard extensively off both my parents who are widely traveled amongst many former British colonies through their work either in the Army or Civil Engineering, is how much they actually miss the British, there's a real appreciation for us out there its just swallowed up in all the anti-colonial and anti-imperialism hate that goes on.

Alex is on the right track devolution wise especially with Blair.

Not considered Zimbabwe so far, so much to do so little time to cram it into. Mabe more British support for the opposition don't know much about them so would have to look.

Think the redcoats would be ASB unfortunately. I';ll try and fit in a few more military parades if that help XD.

Representation as previously mentioned is covered somewhat in the next update.

Status
Not open for further replies.