A Map Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thande

Donor
Even if my Latin is awful. :)

Can anyone think of a rough POD that would fit the map? I'm thinking something involving a more powerful and slightly longer lasting Roman Empire, encompassing Ireland and possibly Germany.

My attempt at fooling with CIA maps- Note the enlarged Finland, and differing status of many nations- And of course, the enlarged San Marino and Andorras..

ee-map.gif

Thande said:
What was the original of, a map showing the eurozone?
No, just the EU... look at the end of the CIA factbook's list of countries, they have an article on the EU, complete with map.

Thande

Donor
In that case, I like your map! :D

Othniel: Not only is Ireland in the EU, they're one of the most vociferously pro-European countries outside the original group of six.

Thande said:
Even if my Latin is awful. :)

Can anyone think of a rough POD that would fit the map? I'm thinking something involving a more powerful and slightly longer lasting Roman Empire, encompassing Ireland and possibly Germany.
Yeah, that’s what it looks like, but if it were just a bit different (Switch some names around and such) It could be that instead of a War with Persia right before the Islamic conquest as per OTL, the Eastern Empire has a Civil War between Byzantium and Cartharge…

Thande

Donor
Okay, here is my attempt at a post-nuclear war world (the nuclear war in question being over Cuba in 1962). This map shows the world in 2062, a century later (think Peshawar Lancers here). The countries break down thusly:

South Africa - a first rate power, only the second postwar one (after India) to develop nukes. Currently controls most of Britain's former sub-Saharan African colonies. Has declined somewhat over the past couple of decades thanks to the reopening of the Suez Canal to free trade and its lack of overseas colonies. It has attempted to overcome this by making alliances with independent countries around the world in order to base its forces from them. Socially is not quite Draka Lite but is certainly still dominated by the minority whites. Many immigrants from devastated Europe and to some extent America fled here after the war.

Brazil - first rate power. Conquered or treatied and eventually absorbed a great deal of South America. Has far-ranging colonies and the best navy in the world. Controls much of West Africa via protectorates. Its major enemies are Argentina, Colombia and Spain, while Portugal is its ally.

India - first rate power, probably the most powerful in the world. India proper has expanded to include most of Pakistan and Burma, while other areas and colonies (including Ethiopia, a longstanding ally) are incorporated into the 'Indian Commonwealth', an alliance system modelled on the British. India has important port colonies in Australia and China, and is also the richest of any power. It notionally claims Britain, but in practice the country is colonised by other, nearer powers.

Argentina - second rate power. An enemy of Brazil, it has absorbed several nearby countries and is considered the champion of Spanish-speaking peoples in South America. Annexed the Falklands about 5 minutes after the first nuke landed on London. Has a few colonies in North America, Australia and East Asia, and a powerful navy.

United Kingdom of Scandinavia - second rate power. Led by Sweden and Finland as the other countries were damaged in the war. Has colonies stretching across to Canada and controls the Baltic. Also has colonies in Scotland, eastern England and Normandy.

Republic of Spain - second rate power. Now has control over much of southern France, Italy, Algeria, Tunisia and Morocco. Has also managed to expand Equatorial Guinea into a larger colony by claiming Cameroon. Attempted to knock Portugal out in a war around 2030 and failed, with some loss of territory to Portugal. Spain's chief enemies are Portugal and Brazil and it has alliance with the Spanish-speaking powers (except Mexico). Spain also supports the Balkan Republic against the New Ottoman Empire.

Republic of Portugal - second rate power. Allied with Brazil against the Spanish-speakers. Has expanded its African colonies. In addition to Spain, it is also a natural enemy of South Africa. The Portuguese navy is quite powerful but usually limited to Europe and Africa in terms of force projection.

Republic of Mexico - a second rate power, possibly rising towards a first. Continuously expanding its on-the-ground control in the former USA. Neutral with respect to the usual Spanish vs. Portuguese conflict in the Americas, instead an ally of Quebec and South Africa.

Indonesia - a second rate power. Has used its vast population to good effect, cultivating an alliance with South Africa in order to obtain more advanced technology and gaining overlordship over much of the western Pacific. Claims all of Australia, but in reality its colonies only cover the northern coast.

United Arab Republic - a vast but decaying second rate power. Nominally a secular state, the Republic is continuously putting down Islamist insurrections and minor civil wars. The Republic has no foreign alliances, being hemmed in by several major powers, which has also contributed to its decay.

Balkan Republic - third rate power. Covers most of the Balkans except Greece. Derived from Yugoslavia/Albania, it rules using a confusing mix of Titoism and triumphal Orthodox religious-based nationalism. A natural enemy of the New Ottoman Empire.

Nueva Gran Colombia - a third rate power, controlling the Caribbean and the Panama Canal, from which it has become very rich. Allied with Argentina and Spain against Brazil and Portugal, and also suspicious of Mexico over Central American land disputes.

Republic of Quebec - a third rate power, allied with Mexico and with similar designs on the interior of America. Enemy of the Scandinavians.

Switzerland - As usual, neutral as pH 7. May have designs on further northward expansion into dark Europe.

Ireland - After the destruction of Belfast, took back Ulster and then eventually accepted dominion over other traditionally Celtic areas such as Strathclyde, Wales, Cornwall and Brittany.

Iran - as with its enemy the Arab Republic, a secular state having problems with Islamism.

Afghanistan - grabbed some former Soviet territory after the war, now a buffer state between India and Iran.

Thailand - now has overlordship over Indochina.

Here there be dragons - what it says. Peshawar Lancersesque tribes wander, civilisation has broken down, and radiation poisoning has resulted in a shorter life expectancy. In the less effected areas, such as Siberia, small local states have formed.

Diamond

Banned
Very cool, Thande, but... why would the Ottoman Empire reform? Wouldn't it more likely be the Turkic Caliphate or something?

Thande

Donor
It's not mega likely, I agree, but I've killed the Ottoman Empire in so many TLs I thought it was only fair that I put it back in one. :D Probably what happens is that republican Turkey takes the territories I've outlined, and later some political faction decides to restore the Ottoman Empire?

What about the rest of the map and countries? At the time I thought some of them were a little implausible, but I wanted to have an interesting new world.

A more manageable sized map without labels:

After Cuba World, 2062.GIF

Thande

Donor
Thanks 47.

Mojo: I like SATO, and the fact that the British Commonwealth and European Union (including South Africa!) appear to be at each others' throats. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.