A Map Thread

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by Diamond, Feb 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diamond Banned

I'm putting this here because there's no time lines to go with the maps; I just wanted to post the maps themselves. :)

First up is a map of Dixie from Gurps Alternate Earths I.

Dixie1.GIF

2. Diamond Banned

And one of the world that Kirghiz (a country of mine from Mosaic Earth) is from:

Kirghiz1.GIF

3. B_Munro Member

What program did you use to color the maps? I've been trying to use microsoft paint on the map and for some reason the "fill with color" function refuses to work. :(

Bruce

sheevposter likes this.
  4. Rahul Member

Neat maps. I like the United Republic of India a ton

5. fortyseven Mastermind

Nice. Maybe everyone could post maps here. I may use the same template for my own maps.

6. Diamond Banned

Definitely. Post away!

Bruce: I use regular old MS Paint. Now, depending on how you have the map formatted (btmap, GIF, JPEG, etc), the colors will look and act different. For some reason, when I had the map formatted as a GIF file originally, it would only support a very limited palette. So I had to change it every time to a bitmap -which takes up a shitload of space - in order to do the map, then save it again as a GIF. Now, with my new PC, it seems I have a broad color range even when its in GIF format.

All I can tell you is just screw around with Paint till you find something that works for you.

7. Othniel Comrade General-Secretary

What's this about Btutan conquering the world by 2212?

8. Diamond Banned

WTF? :confused: :confused: :confused:

9. G.Bone lurks

Quibble: How did the Khanates survive in the latter map? Why is NA called Kingsland?

10. Diamond Banned

An earlier and more severe Black Plague weakened Europe and the midEast while leaving central Asia relatively unscathed. Eventually I'll do a complete TL.

The area was once the personal dominion of the King-Emperor of Britannia, and the name stuck.

11. B_Munro Member

Got it working. Had to convert to Jpeg and then resave as Bitmap. Odd.

I'll send along a map or two afore long.

Best,
    Bruce

BTW - nice maps. Keep up the good work!

12. B_Munro Member

Ok, here one: it's supposed to be the world from de Camps's "The Wheels of If" and Turtledove's "The Pugnacious Peacemaker." Africa and Asia are purely speculative, or "I did whatever I wanted."

turtleworld3.jpg

13. B_Munro Member

Ooops! Wrong one. Well, trying again...

Wheels.jpg

Masteroftheuniverse likes this.
  14. Diamond Banned

Very cool, although the color codings for the other states are a mite confusing...

15. B_Munro Member

No color codings: I'd just do that for a map with lots of colonizing powers, which there ain't in this world. It's just a regular 5-color map, excepting Northumbria, Russia and the Amirate (oh, and the Japanese): if a country is light yellow or blue or red or olive means nothing politically.

16. Diamond Banned

Here's another Mosaic Earth map, this one of the world that the New Hebrides came from:

NewHebrides1.GIF

17. Thande A special man who knows these things Donor

Did Sweden win the battle of Poltava?

And BTW, why is it always Peru that stays loyal to Spain when the other colonies go? I'm sure there's a reason, I'm just curious to know what it is.

18. Thande A special man who knows these things Donor

B.Munro: Great Wheels of If map, much better than the one I've done, but just a couple of points:

-I think de Camp refers to at least half-a-dozen Skrelling states in North America, but only a few are named.

-I also think there's a reference to Northumbria holding northern France.

Where do you think the capital of Northumbria is? Durham? That would be interesting...

19. Abdul Hadi Pasha Banned

Very interesting. One note though, an Islamic Emirate in Brazil can't be called "dar-ul Harb", because that means "Domain of War", which means all lands not Islamic.

20. George Carty Member

Why would the Andalusians name one of their South American colonies after a naked (Astaghfirullah!) tribe of primitives??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.