A Light Shines East: The World of a Christian Persia

Is there any cross pollination between Stoicism and buddhism?
Probably not, since there is considerable distance between them.
The funny thing is that it's perfectly possible for the European days of the week to be almost exactly like in English in this AH. In the Romance languages (at least in French and Spanish) the days of the week are named after Nordic deities whose identities were conflated with Greco-Roman counterparts (e.g. Mars with Tyr, Mercury with Odin).
While I used Norse names in the above post since it was written from the perspective of a Scandinavian writer ITTL, in the parts of Europe that still speak Romance languages, a version of the old Latin names would still be used. So not only will the Germanic languages have similar days of the week, but the Romance languages will too.
In portuguese we went with the church replacement
So Sunday is Lord's day(Domingo), Saturday is Sabbath(Sábado) and the other days are numbered - Second-Fair(Segunda-Feira), Third-Fair(Terça-Feira), Fourth-Fair(Quarta-Feira), Fifth-Fair(Quinta-Feira) and Sixth-Fair(Sexta-Feira)
It was an atempt of "de-paganizing" them, which weirdly enough only applied to the days of the week since months still retain their greek-roman naming scheme
I could see something like this happening in the Christian-ruled parts of Spain.

A good thing would be what the Latin-influenced parts of Europe would name their days. Naming Saturday and Sunday after the Sabbath and the Lord would be out of the question, so would we see them stick with Saturn and Sol?

Awesome! If you do please make it coherent with the months as well
I mean whats the point in saying today is Sixth-Fair when the month's name is Juno >.>
TTL’s Christians use a version of the solar hijri calendar used in Iran IOTL, only dating back to the birth of Christ rather than the Hijra.
A good thing would be what the Latin-influenced parts of Europe would name their days. Naming Saturday and Sunday after the Sabbath and the Lord would be out of the question, so would we see them stick with Saturn and Sol?
Most likely.

Somewhere in post-Roman European religion there must be echoes and syncretism of older Sol worship. It was a major part of Roman religion in the imperial period and was OTL rolled into Christianity.
TTL’s Christians use a version of the solar hijri calendar used in Iran IOTL, only dating back to the birth of Christ rather than the Hijra.
Nowruz would remain the New Year, I'm sure. It's still the New Year in Persianate cultures today!

When would Christians OTL place the birth of Jesus? (The identification of Jesus' birth as Dec 25 was developed over time in Roman Christianity, for a variety of reasons - including syncretism with Sol worship. It isn't explicit in the Gospels at all.)

I'm pretty sure that Jesus' crucifixion is explicitly noted to be in the springtime near or on Passover. So perhaps Nowruz (essentially a Spring equinox holiday) would be absorbed into Christianity in the same way that it absorbed Yule and Saturnalia.

After all, the modern Christian/post-Christian New Year of Jan 1 was the pre-Christian Roman one. And Nowruz is considered both a secular holiday among many Persianate peoples and a religious holiday for Zoroastrians, Baha'i, and some Muslims.

Last edited:
Somewhere in post-Roman European religion there must be echoes and syncretism of older Sol worship. It was a major part of Roman religion in the imperial period and was OTL rolled into Christianity.
Sol worship is extremely common in the Greek-speaking, Neoplatonic east. Sol Invictus(usually called “Helios” is Greek) is identified with Mithras and, by extension, with the Platonic Demiurge. In the Platonist cosmology, Sol Invictus/Helios is an emanation of Mithras specifically charged with illuminating the unenlightened(specifically connected with his role as a Sun god) and protecting the Platonist faithful. He is also associated with the imperial family. Images of Sol Invictus are commonly found in Platonist houses, based on the belief that he will ward of evil. In the Stoic west, the worship of Sol Invictus is less common, with the similarly-named Germanic goddess Sól taking the role of solar deity and Tyr absorbing Sol Invictus’ other aspects.
Nowruz would remain the New Year, I'm sure. It's still the New Year in Persianate cultures today!

When would Christians OTL place the birth of Jesus? (The identification of Jesus' birth as Dec 25 was developed over time in Roman Christianity, for a variety of reasons - including syncretism with Sol worship. It isn't explicit in the Gospels at all.)

I'm pretty sure that Jesus' crucifixion is explicitly noted to be in the springtime near or on Passover. So perhaps Nowruz (essentially a Spring equinox holiday) would be absorbed into Christianity in the same way that it absorbed Yule and Saturnalia.

After all, the modern Christian/post-Christian New Year of Jan 1 was the pre-Christian Roman one. And Nowruz is considered both a secular holiday among many Persianate peoples and a religious holiday for Zoroastrians, Baha'i, and some Muslims.
Now that you mention it, TTL’s Christians might have Nowruz as the date of Jesus’ birth.

I wonder if it can become more different; maybe instead of basing the calendar on the birth of Jesus, it can be based on his crucifixion or some other important part of Jesus' life, like his baptism.

I wonder if it can become more different; maybe instead of basing the calendar on the birth of Jesus, it can be based on his crucifixion or some other important part of Jesus' life, like his baptism.
It’s not necessarily guaranteed that TTL’s Christians have the same date for Jesus’ birth as IOTL’s do(though I’ve been using the OTL BC/AD system simply so that I don’t loose track of the dates), but you do raise a good point. However, since TTL’s Christians place Jesus’ birth as having been on Nowruz(that is, the Persian New Year), it would mean that Year One literally began with the birth of Christ, which would make their calendar slightly more neatly organized(the Solar Hijri Calendar is already one of the most accurate solar calendars IOTL).

The War of the Holy Sepulchre
From “History of the Apostolic Church” by Afshin Khorrami

Following the overthrow of the Arab king Abdul-Yasu, Arslan(known thenceforth as “Arslan the Liberator”) was declared Shah of Persia. Five years later, he would become Khagan of the Western Turkic Khaganate following the death of his father. Meanwhile, Abdul-Yasu had established himself in Betica, never truly forgetting when his domain stretched from the Indus to the Atlantic. Ultimately, he would die just two years after losing his empire to alcohol poisoning, having developed something of a drinking habit as a coping mechanism. He would be succeeded by his son Majid I, who sought to avenge his father’s defeat. Just a year after ascending to the throne, Majid set out with his army to retake the holy city of Jerusalem from the Persian heretics. Majid’s justification was that the Church of the Holy Sepulchre had been made an Apostolic church on Arslan’s orders, having been previously been transformed from an Apostolic church to an Ebionite one by Abu Yusuf. Majid and his army traveled through North Africa, which had been taken over by Berber tribes in the aftermath of the fall of his father’s empire[1], and began gathering supporters to join in his quest to retake the Holy Land.

Eventually, Majid made it into Egypt, which had previously been conquered by Arslan but which was majority Ebionite. Majid was greeted as a liberator by the locals, quickly retaking all of Egypt and making his son Abdul-Masih the King of Egypt[2]. From there, Majid’s now massive force of Arabs, Berbers, Beticans, and Egyptians crossed into Palestine, where they were met by Arslan’s equally great army of Persians, Syrians, and Turks. The ensuing Battle of Mount Sinai resulted in Arslan’s defeat, and Majid’s forces progressed through the Holy Land, eventually reaching Jerusalem[3]. The Battle of Jerusalem would be one of the greatest in history. Arslan’s forces fought valiantly to defend the holy city, and Majid’s fought fanatically to defend it. The battle raged for days, with Apostolic and Ebionite forces fighting amidst the tight streets. The city was devastated by the end of the battle, which only ceased when Majid was killed by an unknown Persian soldier. Abdul-Masih, devastated by the death of his father, retreated and prepared to defend Egypt from Arslan’s inevitable attempt at reconquest. Arslan’s forces quickly retook Egypt, and Abdul-Masih was forced to flee back to Betica, where he was crowned king. For now, Arslan had triumphed, but Abdul-Masih waited patiently for the Khagan to show any sign of weakness, when he would avenge his father’s death and bring his father’s dream to fruition. This would eventually happen, in the Second War of the Holy Sepulchre.

[1]The Berbers by this point are still largely pagan, but are in the process of converting to Ebionitism

[2]Majid has no delusions of reconquering his father’s empire, merely retaking the Holy Land for Ebionitism, and so feels content placing a puppet on the Egyptian throne rather than ruling Egyot from Spain

[3]Part of the reason for Majid’s success is that he has the support of the mostly Ebionite locals. We’re he to try to invade Mesopotamia or Persia, he’d most likely be less successful

Last edited:
Interlude: Iranian Folk Religion
IOTL, a Zoroastrian mobed by the name of Mazdak would rise to prominence during the reign of Kavad I. A few centuries later, a self-proclaimed prophet known as Al-Muqana or Mokana rebelled against the authority of the Muslim Caliphate, preaching a syncretic Islamic-Zoroastrian religion. The Caliphate would once again face rebellion later on, this time by a Zoroastrian sect called the Khurramites. Also rising to prominence in Iran were a series of radical Shi’a groups called ghulat, who ascribed divine properties to the Shi’ite imams. Centuries later, a Shi’a Sufi order called the Safaviyyah would rise to prominence under the leadership of Isma’il I, who founded the Safavid dynasty and who’s qizilbash troops believed to be Mahdi[1]. Isma’il’s successor, Tahmasp, would embrace a more mainstream interpretation of Shi’a doctrine, and this lineage of Zoroastrian and Islamic sects would fade from history.

All of these radical sects, whether Zoroastrian or Muslim, all had a few notable features in common; a cyclical view of history, belief in the transmigration of souls, a dualistic worldview, and messianic fervor. These various sects represent and undercurrent of Iranian folk religion rooted in pre-Zoroastrian[2] beliefs. ITTL, this undercurrent of Iranian folk religion will still exist, but will be viewed through a Christian lense, with a lot of emphasis probably being placed on the Book of Revelation. TTL’s Arab conquest of Persia would be the perfect inciting event for a radical, millenarian movement pulling on this particular undercurrent of Iranian folk religion. Expect the new Arslanid Dynasty to have to deal with whatever radical sect emerges as well as the Ebionites.
Sorry for the lack of updates. This TL is on a hopefully short hiatus until I can come up with new ideas for it. In the mean time, enjoy my my new timeline.

[1]A messianic figure in Shi’a Islam

[2]Or rather, pre-Sassanid Zoroastrianism

I saw the notification and thought it was still about the Ancient Egypt timeline so you can imagine my surprise when it started talking about Mazdakism
"Huh, thats a huge time gap but sure!"

I saw the notification and thought it was still about the Ancient Egypt timeline so you can imagine my surprise when it started talking about Mazdakism
"Huh, thats a huge time gap but sure!"
This TL isn’t dead, just on hiatus. I’ll mostly be focusing on the Akhenaten timeline, at least right now, but I do plan to return to this one some day(hopefully some day soon).

I wasnt saying it was dead! Im glad its not because I very much love it, but Im enjoying the new one too and just got confused with the sudden update of this one while I was reading the other one, made me think Mazdak ha showed up in the middle of Aten's reign to talk about the glories of communism Zoroastrianism x3

The Prophet of Gundeshapur
From “History of the Apostolic Church” by Afshin Khorrami

Abu Yusuf’s conquest of Persia led to the rise of numerous millenarian movements. To the Persian people, their homelands conquest by who the saw as heretics and barbarians seemed like nothing more than the prelude of the apocalypse. It was in this environment that a young man by the name of Khosrau would be raised in Gundeshapur. At twenty years old, fifteen years after the Arab conquest of Persia, Khosrau claimed to have a sudden revelation that the Second Coming of Christ would soon arrive. While Khosrau‘s movement claimed to be Christian, he taught numerous doctrines in conflict with mainstream Christian theology such as the transmigration of souls, a cyclical view of the world, and a dualistic cosmology. Khosrau would marry a woman of the community named Rubadeh, who would bear him a son, who they named Babak.

Babak would grow up to be deeply interested in his father’s religion, and spent most of his time praying and meditating. One day, at just sixteen years old, he was in a state of deep meditation when an angel appeared before him and claimed “it is you who we have been waiting for.” Babak told his father, who in turn told his community of believers. Babak would succeed Khosrau as leader of this community, but just two years after his father’s death he set off on the Silk Road in search of knowledge. When he returned, he began to preach a radical new theology. According to Babak, God had incarnated himself in Adam, who had reincarnated various times throughout history. Abraham, Moses, Zoroaster, the Buddha, Krishna, Laozi, Confucius, Socrates, Jesus, and now Babak were all “incarnations of god[1].” In addition, Babak identified another line of reincarnations which included Elijah, John the Baptist, and Khosrau which was supposed to “reveal unto the world the coming of the next incarnation.” Babak preached that the souls of humanity originated from within God, and could return to Him by following the teachings of His various incarnations. Babak would ultimately be beheaded for heresy, leading to the movement mostly falling apart. However, a few dedicated followers would remain, patiently waiting for the next incarnation.

[1]In Babak’s theology, “God“ refers to the totality of everything that exists, and the incarnation is the physical embodiment of that totality