A History of the Oungrikos Dynasty of Roman Emperors: The Six Emperors – 1180 to 1330

So essentially you go with the theory that Romanians are the descendants of Roman colonists in former Dacia? Do they have admixture with the native Dacian population?

Also out of curiosity, what is going on with the Albanians? 1284 is the very first time that Albanian is attested to in a court document, so uo until they're basically a blank slate.

I've been distracted by other projects of late but I can reply to you. I would say yes the Romanians have Roman ancestry and this is identified in their language among other things.

On the Albanians, I figured they would still be a thing even though they aren't recorded. It is considered most likely they are Illyrian Indo-European Speakers that got displaced south by a succession of Romans, Magyars and Slavs from lands to the north.

These are the assumptions I base my althist on at least.

i am just wondering and i hope this wont come off as sounding rude i hope not but when will you be able to resume this wonderful time line

i am just wondering and i hope this wont come off as sounding rude i hope not but when will you be able to resume this wonderful time line

I know I have really blown that flute on this TL and am glad I got to the rough end of the stated time period. I do think it would be a lofty endeavour to carry this on into the modern era especially. I believe that I will turn attention to Byzantine althistory again in the future and will probably return here or produce a sequel. That time will come when it does though. I'm retro sci-fi conworlding at the moment and that takes up most of my worldbuilding time!

Timeline
I'm currently thinking up a sequel for this Oungrikos POD. At the moment it has a rather concentrated focus on how the ERE resulting from the general sequence of events detailed on this thread would influence and be influenced by the Italian Wars of the 16th century, specifically the War of the League of Cambrai and War of the League of Cognac.

The first of these wars, the Cambrai War from 1508 to 1516, involved Venice which in this ATL would be intrinsically linked with the ERE and it's interests in the Eastern Mediterranean. I highly suspect that Venice being threatened by the expansionist Borgia Regime of the Papal States would elicit a significant response from Romania. When Julius II succeeds and calls for war against Venice for insubordination against the Pope over the bishopric of Vicenza and encourages France, Spain and other major Catholic players get involved he would effectively be calling for a war with the ERE, the one powerful ally Venice could count on.

The best part of two centuries have passed since we left this timeline in 1330 and it remains quite unclear to me how events would've evolved in Hungary to keep it within the Empire this long and not wander or if Romania had yet re-established a foothold in Southern Italy or the Sicilian Vespers conflict had been allowed to proceed as OTL. It's possible through it's influence over the Knightly Orders, specifically the Knight's Hospitaller, that Romania could've established a presence in North Africa by now around Tunis, maybe similar in scope to the Norman Kingdom of Africa. Suffice to say the Knights should be considered like Venice, intrinsically placed within the Imperial system of the ERE if this is the case.

Ah shit! Here we go again...

Last edited:
Timeline
ERE.png

Assume this is the general extent of the ERE in the East Med plus Tunisia and maybe Malta and Venice and it's lands as a tributary.

I'd like to add that if any doubts about the Knight Hospitaller, Templars and entrenched orders in the Holy Land remained about their allegiance to the Emperor in Constantinople, they would likely be dispelled after 1508 with a Papal-Roman Conflict. The Knights would go from de jure Papal Orders to de facto Roman Orders with a Unionite Rite.

I could see an ERE that held Hungary this long to maintain control for good.... albiet with the empire becoming as Magyar as it was Greek.

An interesting direction to explore to be honest.

I could see an ERE that held Hungary this long to maintain control for good.... albiet with the empire becoming as Magyar as it was Greek.

An interesting direction to explore to be honest.
I think in the long run Hungary would have to pick a language and pick a church if it stays within the empire. It would have to drift towards Orthodoxy and adopt Greek as a language of governance. In this ATL Hungary did receive Greek immigration after the Mongol invasions in the late 1200s and early 1300s but could this have set it on a longer trajectory towards Hellenization?

That Roman culture would incorporate some aspects of Magyar culture is to be expected and for Magyars to be a highly esteemed minority within the Empire. I think at it's core the ERE would be predominantly Hellenic as a rule though. I think it likely that after the Empire has reasserted it's presence in the Levant and Egypt it will seek a Mediterranean focus and Hungary could begin to drift. This may even be an amicable split if the Palatine/King remains pro-Roman or bitter if the Pope or HRE interfere successfully....

I think I was getting a little ahead of myself with some aspects of this timeline and might advance with a degree of caution. I did mention in prior posts how interesting it would be to theorise Roman intervention in Italy in the 16th century but setting the stage for this still requires some ascertainment of geopolitical outcomes in certain regions of the map before we get to that point which I actually want to avoid glazing over on a hunch.
For giving clarity to subsequent events in this timeline I think it wise to concise what has been developed so far with the Oungrikos Dynasty which ultimately forms a radical macro-POD stemming from a few different developments in the 1170s CE.

I will start a new thread to symbolise a fresh start with fresh eyes! A link to this thread will be posted at the start of that one. Hopefully see you there!