A Green And Pleasant Land

Oh aye, Henry's going to feel absolutely appalled at himself for not seeing this
These blood-soaked Castilian political intrigues, I tell you. If Alfonso and Juan split the kingdom in half between them, you can bet that Eleanor will be apoplectic. The hard work of her father and brother to gain and maintain that union, all for naught.

VVD0D95

Banned
These blood-soaked Castilian political intrigues, I tell you. If Alfonso and Juan split the kingdom in half between them, you can bet that Eleanor will be apoplectic. The hard work of her father and brother to gain and maintain that union, all for naught.

For sure, I can tell you one thing. Alfonso has wanted Castile and Leon since he can remember

For sure, I can tell you one thing. Alfonso has wanted Castile and Leon since he can remember
Yeah, I don't imagine Alfonso being content with seeing his uncle take half his birthright, and crushing Juan will be his next objective. However, Juan's son Juan El Tuerto (the one-eyed)married King Denis' niece Isabel de Penela at some point in OTL, so it might not be too far out of the realm of possibility for the elder Juan to try and have his son marry Denis' daughter Constance. Denis has a choice to make. He's already weakened Castile and likely regained some of his territory. However, does he want to commit his realm into a full-blown Iberian War facing a side that is supported by the more powerful Aragon? Juan needs Denis more than the other way around. Denis could just as easily decide to acknowledge Alfonso de la Cerda as Alfonso XI of Castile and León in order to retain his recovered lands and be done with the whole affair, leaving Juan to dangle. However, should he decide to back Juan as King of León, he may decide that he wants someplace like Badajoz or Sevilla, or even all of Galicia in return.

VVD0D95

Banned
Yeah, I don't imagine Alfonso being content with seeing his uncle take half his birthright, and crushing Juan will be his next objective. However, Juan's son Juan El Tuerto (the one-eyed)married King Denis' niece Isabel de Penela at some point in OTL, so it might not be too far out of the realm of possibility for the elder Juan to try and have his son marry Denis' daughter Constance. Denis has a choice to make. He's already weakened Castile and likely regained some of his territory. However, does he want to commit his realm into a full-blown Iberian War facing a side that is supported by the more powerful Aragon? Juan needs Denis more than the other way around. Denis could just as easily decide to acknowledge Alfonso de la Cerda as Alfonso XI of Castile and León in order to retain his recovered lands and be done with the whole affair, leaving Juan to dangle. However, should he decide to back Juan as King of León, he may decide that he wants someplace like Badajoz or Sevilla, or even all of Galicia in return.
Oh interesting, what lands would you say he’s taken already?

He got a few minor towns and castles along the southern portion of his border with Castile, and gave a few back when he signed the treaty in 1297 with Fernando's regents.

Sevilla has the prestige of being one of the true jewels of the entire peninsula; it controls the entire river valley it's situated in and inches the Portuguese closer to Mediterranean access. Badajoz is important border city, it would otherwise secure that portion of Portugal's border. Galicia, on the other hand, has Santiago de Compostela, which as a premier pilgrimage destination, makes a lot of money. The Galicians are linguistically closely related to the Portuguese too, but whomever holds it would be loathe to ever surrender such a valuable territory.

Chapter 63: Bittersweet Homecoming

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 63: Bittersweet Homecoming

July, 1298

Alfonso looked at the spot where his aunt and cousin had died. Where his aunt had murdered his cousin, he corrected. His great uncle, Infante Enrique stood next to him silent. His uncle Juan was stood to his other side, also surprisingly silent. Fernando had refused to come and was instead sorting something out in the palace. Alfonso looked at the spot, then looked at his great uncle.

“Why?” He asked, his meaning was clear. Why did his aunt kill herself and her son?

“Because she was afraid. Afraid of what you might do to her, Sire. And afraid of what fate would befall her son.” The old Infante replied.

“I would never have hurt either of them. Ferdinand was illegitimate and an usurper, but he was still my kin. I would have sent them to the monastery.” Alfonso said. “You know that don’t you?” He turned to look at the old man. Imploring him to hear the truth in the words he said.

The Infante nodded. “I do, Sire.”

Alfonso turned back to look at where the blood and the substance which had ended his aunt and cousin’s life had been and asked. “Then why didn’t you tell her?”

“I did, Sire.” The old Infante said. “But she would not listen. Maria was stubborn. Very, very stubborn. And she was scared. Nobody could have known she would have done this though.”

“What will I do with her other children?” Alfonso asked despairingly. He could he explain this to them, to his own children?

“You have two choices, Sire.” Enrique said. “You can either kill them, or send them to the monastery.”

Alfonso turned around and looked at his great uncle and said. “They’ll go to the nunnery and the monastery. There will be no more bloodshed.”

“Very wise, Sire.” The Infante replied.

Alfonso nodded. “You may leave.” The man bowed, turned and left, and Alfonso turned back to look at the spot.

A moment passed, and then another, and then his uncle Juan spoke. “You will need to think about what you’re going to do about Portugal and Aragon. Now you hold the throne they will both want their fair share.”

No doubt you will want something as well, dearest uncle. Alfonso thought to himself. Aloud though he said. “Indeed, and when the time comes they shall get them.”

His uncle put a hand on his shoulder. “Be careful, Sire, you do not want to tempt the snakes. They are both dangerous men.”

“I am aware, thank you.” Alfonso said.

“Sire.” The Infante said, before turning and walking out.

Once he was sure the man was gone, Alfonso whispered. “You shall be the most dangerous one of all.”

Oh yes, absolutely. If her son's supporters are out there, there would likely be a large whispering campaign launched to undermine both de la Cerda brothers and both of their uncles, accusing all of them of masterminding their deaths. What evidence could anyone provide that it was a murder-suicide committed by Maria as opposed to blatant assassination on the orders of any of these 4?

VVD0D95

Banned
Oh yes, absolutely. If her son's supporters are out there, there would likely be a large whispering campaign launched to undermine both de la Cerda brothers and both of their uncles, accusing all of them of masterminding their deaths. What evidence could anyone provide that it was a murder-suicide committed by Maria as opposed to blatant assassination on the orders of any of these 4?
Very very true, and knowing Juan if he doesn’t get his way, he’d likely use that

Chapter 64: Another One

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 64: Another One

September, 1298

“Word has come from Castile, Sire.” Henry de Lacy Earl of Lincoln and his foreign minister said.

“What news?” Edward asked. He’d been keeping a close eye on events in his wife’s homeland, knowing that whichever way the war went, they would need to act quickly.

“Maria de Molina and her son Ferdinand are dead. It seems that she poisoned both herself and her son. Alfonso de la Cerda has been proclaimed King by the estates of Castile and Leon.” Henry said.

“The woman killed her own son?” Alphonso exclaimed sounding horrified/

Edward shot his son a look, he understood the horror, for he felt it as well, but now was not the time. “And what has this new King done?”

“He has agreed to a betrothal between his son and Your Majesty’s granddaughter of Aragon. He has also agreed to the exchange of border towns with King Denis of Portugal in exchange for his daughter marrying the Portuguese King’s son.” Henry said.

“So, he will no doubt be indebted to both men for much longer than he thinks.” Edward said. Peter of Aragon was not the sort of man to allow things to go so easily, even if he was on the brink of death.

“Yes, Sire. It seems so.” Henry responded.

“Alphonso, suggestions?” Edward demanded of his son.

His son said nothing for a moment and then said. “We must write to Eleanor and request that she speak with the King of Aragon for us. We must also send word to this new Castilian King and request a meeting. I would offer to go myself, to ensure there is good contact and impression.”

Edward smiled. “See to it then.” He was impressed by his son, though the look that Henry de Lacy gave him then suggested something was going to go wrong. “What is it?”

“Word from Ireland, Sire.” Henry replied. “The Lord Justiciar writes that the Irish petty Kings have not only begun murdering English settlers, they’ve also declared the King of Connaught as the new High King of Ireland.”

Edward looked at the man and wanted to ask him if he were joking, he suspected not. “Why?”

“It seems the King of Connaught managed to convince the King of Tir Eoghan to support him. they are related through marriage. Furthermore, the Lord Justiciar writes that several of the petty Kings have had complaints against the Earl of Ulster. The peaceful overtures did not work.” Henry responded.

“How many of our people have died?” Alphonso asked.

“Three hundred so far. Mainly through raids and purges.” Henry said.

Edward looked at his chancellor. “How much money do we have?”

“Enough for a campaign for one season, Sire. Though I would advise caution, the winter is fast approaching.” Philip de Willoughby his chancellor said.

“We cannot wait, Sire. The longer we dawdle here, the more likely it is that Connaught will advance on Dublin.” Humphrey de Bohun, his daughter Elizabeth’s betrothed and the new Lord High Constable said.

“And if we leave for Ireland now, the farms will be untended and the harvest won’t be brought in. Our army will starve.” Philip said.

“And if we don’t leave now, Connaught will make good on his title.” Hereford shot back.

“What then do you suggest?” Henry shot back.

Edward could sense an argument building but for the first time he did not know what to do to prevent it. He felt somewhat powerless over this matter. He agreed with both men. It was Alphonso who had the solution. “Send me, Sire. I will go with a small force, manageable enough to last throughout the winter. And when spring comes once more, then you may come with the full force of England.”

“A sensible position, and one that would do much to win support over to our cause, Sire.” Henry said. “The Irish will respect him.”

Edward looked at his son, raised an eyebrow in question and when his son nodded in the affirmative, he sighed. “Very well, you may go. Take two thousand men with you and aid the Lord Justiciar. Try not to engage in battle unless absolutely necessary.”

Another chance for Edward and Alphonso to further burnish their legacy. They're always on the same page. Curious what the rest of Europe thinks about the Castilian situation. The newly crowned Alfonso XI still has a lot of work to do.

VVD0D95

Banned
Another chance for Edward and Alphonso to further burnish their legacy. They're always on the same page. Curious what the rest of Europe thinks about the Castilian situation. The newly crowned Alfonso XI still has a lot of work to do.
Oh aye. The benefits of having a a capable son.

And mixed feelings. Scotland is definintely keen to establish contact. France is half and half

Hang on. Alphonso's going to Ireland? I thought he was going to Castile?

Mind you, he has a younger brother, doesn't he? How old is Edward at this point? Could he be sent to Castile in Alphonso's stead to honour the new King? Or is he too young?

VVD0D95

Banned
Hang on. Alphonso's going to Ireland? I thought he was going to Castile?

Mind you, he has a younger brother, doesn't he? How old is Edward at this point? Could he be sent to Castile in Alphonso's stead to honour the new King? Or is he too young?
He was but immediate change of plan with Ireland.

And he’s fourteen so old enough

He was but immediate change of plan with Ireland.

And he’s fourteen so old enough
Fair enough. So, send Alphonso to Ireland and Edward to Castile. He'll do better with the personal side of things than the military anyway, I think. How is he, anyway? Is he married yet, or has Gaveston got his claws into him??

VVD0D95

Banned
Fair enough. So, send Alphonso to Ireland and Edward to Castile. He'll do better with the personal side of things than the military anyway, I think. How is he, anyway? Is he married yet, or has Gaveston got his claws into him??
Sorry just read my comment back, apologies if it sounded short wasn’t my intention!

And not yet married, as for gaveston I’m not sure what to do with him aha