A Glorious Union or America: the New Sparta

Chapter Four "I mean to bag the lot" The Battle of the Rappahannock Part III
Chapter Four

"I mean to bag the lot"
The Battle of the Rappahannock

Part III

220px-Christopher_C._Augur_-_Brady-Handy.jpg

From “A Thunderbolt on the Battlefield – the Battles of Philip Kearny: Volume II” by Professor Kearny Bowes
MacArthur University Press 1960

“The scene at the Station was chaotic. There were large numbers of wounded milling about, and a disturbing number of what were obviously skulkers. It was a difficult scene to make sense of, particularly because of the dearth of senior officers present. However Kearny, accompanied by Hooker, found Christopher Augur, commander of a division in Banks Corps, sitting on the porch of the Bowen House, having wounds to both his right arm and chest sown up (General Augur had been “touched” by five separate shell fragments but only the wound to his right arm was serious). Augur was able to give the generals a sense of the day's events…"

From “Battle of the Rappahannock” by Roger Galton
Osprey 2003

“From north to south Pope’s dispositions had been:

1. Beverly Ford

1.1 Bayard’s Cavalry Brigade (minus Duffie’s regiment)
1.2 Schurz’s Division of I Corps with Franz Sigel
1.3 Schenck’s Division of I Corps

2. Rappahannock Station

2.1 Duffie’s Cavalry Regiment
2.2 Augur’s Division of II Corps with Nathaniel Banks and John Pope
2.3 William’s Division of II Corps
2.4 Von Steinwehr’s Division of I Corps

3. Norman’s Ford

3.1 King’s Division of III Corps
3.2 Ricketts’ Division of III Corps with Irvin McDowell
3.3 Reynolds’ Division of II Corps

4. Kelly’s Ford

4.1 Buford’s Cavalry Brigade

From “A Thunderbolt on the Battlefield – the Battles of Philip Kearny: Volume II” by Professor Kearny Bowes

“Augur gave a summary of the days events from his perspective at the head of the lead division in the centre: In the light of the morning it was clear that there was a formation of infantry on Fleetwood Hill [Wilcox’s Division of Longstreet’s Corps] and a force of cavalry near the Fleetwood House just south of the Orange & Alexandria Railroad [Robertson’s Cavalry Brigade]. Wilcox’s Division did not stand but quickly withdrew back along the Farley Road, pausing briefly at Brandy Station. Robertson too withdrew, slowly along the Old Carolina Road, eventually reforming at the foot of Mount Dumpling. Pope and Banks quickly came up, and Pope’s “blood was clearly up”. Sigel was to press quickly press down the Farley Road in pursuit of Wilcox. Banks was to push along the line of the railroad and Old Carolina Road in the hope of beating Wilcox to Brandy Station. McDowell was to try to cross Flat Run and press towards Mount Dumpling, in the hope of reducing congestion on the Old Carolina Road. No other troops were in sight and Pope was confident he had caught Lee’s forces divided.

Augur was clearly disgusted as he related the next stage: Bank’s and Sigel’s leading divisions were now clogging up Brandy Station. Sigel was to proceed down Auburn Road and Banks down the Culpepper Road. McDowell had sent King to drive of Robertson and continue down the Old Carolina Road with a view to swinging west on Kirtley’s Rolling Road to come up on Culpepper Court House from the south. Augur understood Ricketts was to follow. He had no idea what Reynold’s orders were.

As Banks came up a rebel force appeared before him on the ridge north of Culpepper [Jones’ Division of Longstreet’s Corps]. Pope, still with Augur, was not alarmed. This was what he was expecting. A few minutes later a second force appeared, again on the high grounds, further to the north in front of Sigel’s advance [Anderson’s Division of Longstreet’s Corps]. About 15 minutes later, Augur then heard reports of a third force moving in, again to the north, behind Muddy Run [Ewell’s Division of Jackson’s Corps].

Augur was concerned by the amount of artillery coming into place with these three forces in extremely advantageous positions. Augur had the sense that these dispositions had been planned - the rebels had their range too quickly. Before he could communicate his concerns he had been injured by shell fragments and carried to the rear at Fleetwood House. Coming round he met Von Steinwehr going in the wrong direction back towards the river. Von Steinwehr had reports from Bayard that a huge force [Taliaferro and Hill’s Divisions] was crossing Hazel Run in the army's rear with the clear intention of cutting it off from Beverley Ford and the Rappahannock Crossing. Von Steinwehr had ordered the wounded, including General Augur back over the Rappahannock Crossing.
That was not the end of Augur’s tale for Kearny and Hooker were not the first generals to meet Augur at Rappahannock Station upon his return. Ambrose Burnside and Jesse Reno was arrived at the head of Reno’s Division to hear the same report. Astonishingly Burnside confirmed that he had heard from Buford that Reynold’s was being pressed from the south and that Longstreet had been sighted near Mountain’s Run [Hood’s and Kemper’s Divisions were here supported by WHL. Lee’s cavalry].

Gentlemen, Pope has marched the whole army into a trap and Burnside has gone in after him. I sincerely believe, General Kearny, that if you follow them you will not come back”…

“It was early evening now with darkness approaching. Kearny did not hesitate. “General Hooker get your men across the river here and dig in. You will hold the crossing tonight until we can sort ourselves out and see what we can salvage from this day's battle. I will send Richardson and Sickles up if I have to have them moving all night”…

Last edited:
Wow detailed! I see elements of Antietam (the Lost Order/the Movement Order) - nice irony. Shiloh with the mass of shirkers at the river. Chancellorsville - in the way Pope has sort of pushed off into the unknown and is being hit from all directions by Lee. And off course its the ground of Brandy Station!

Wow detailed! I see elements of Antietam (the Lost Order/the Movement Order) - nice irony. Shiloh with the mass of shirkers at the river. Chancellorsville - in the way Pope has sort of pushed off into the unknown and is being hit from all directions by Lee. And off course its the ground of Brandy Station!

I found a beautiful map of the Brandy Station battlefield which I am using to track everyone's movements. I wish I could do cartography so I could share it!

Chapter Four "I mean to bag the lot" The Battle of the Rappahannock Part IV
Chapter Four

"I mean to bag the lot"

Part IV

SSAmericasUSCivilWarGenMcDowell.jpg

Extracts from “The Campaign along the Rappahannock Line - In their own words” by Professor John C. Dunning
New York 1995

If Kearny slept that night I saw no evidence of it. God knows I did not.” General Joe Hooker to General Dan Sickles.

Osprey 2003

“In the late evening Kearny established Hooker’s division south west of the Rappahannock crossing facing in that direction. Later Richardson’s division filed in on Hooker’s right, forming up at a right angle facing north west. Kearny anticipated Sickles’ division forming up at the Jameson farm facing south east and so boxing off the Rappahannock Crossing, but it became clear during the course of the night that Sickles would not cross until morning…

With Hooker and Richardson in place around midnight, Kearny took the risk of setting off down the railroad to discover where Pope’s Army had established itself. It was a risky undertaking at night, but a necessary one. Kearny found William’s division straddling the railroad line. With Alpheus Williams Kearny was astonished to discover the acting commander of the Army of Virginia - Irvin McDowell. McDowell indicated that Pope had been injured early in the cannonade during an attack by Anderson, and was injured and presumed captured. No one knew where Banks was but McDowell was certain he was no longer on the field of battle - “captured, dead or fled, I cannot say, but Banks is not here”. Sigel was with McDowell, but with a bandaged head and a glazed look in his eyes, he said nothing during McDowell's and Kearny’s early morning conference. McDowell’s report made for dire hearing - Bayard dead, his brigade scattered; King missing, Ricketts injured, their divisions smashed and running [some were reforming behind Hooker’s line even at this early hour]; Augur injured, his division routed; Schenk dead; Schurz injured; both divisions reduced to perhaps no more than three under strength brigades under discipline on the field; and Buford forced back across the river over Kelly’ Ford.

But there was a line beyond Kearny’s. The Army of Virginia was not yet routed as Lee had hoped. Facing north west, with his flank on the river was Von Steinwehr, who McDowell praised to the heavens for his day’s work, then Reno, the combined forces of Schenk and Schurz refused the line, with Schenk troops facing north west and Schurz south west, all under the command of Burnside, then Williams. Williams' flank was in the air at the Stringfellow farm, but in the distance beyond that was Reynold’s division facing south (with both flanks in the air). That was state of McDowell’s forces. “During the many failures and few successes that day, McDowell shone. He formed the line that held the rebels til [sic] nightfall. He rode the line, roaring and cajoling the troops where necessary. When the men talk of McDowell now, there is no mention of Bull Run, only Fleetwood Hill where he anchored the Army of Virginia.” (Alpheus Williams in a letter to his daughter).
From “A Reputation Redeemed - Irvin McDowell at the Rappahannock” by Major James Chase
Erie 1883

“But McDowell was tired. His redemption that day had called upon all his reserves of strength. He gladly deferred to Kearny’s opinion. Come the morning should they stay and fight or should the troops begin to fall back? “Why General, if you’ll have me and my boys, I mean to stay and come the morning we’ll greet General Lee together”…

Last edited:
I like the idea of redeeming poor Old McDowell. His performance isn't that ASB - the criticisms from Second Manassas revolve around a failure to communicate (especially with Porter). There is no suggestion here that McDowell tried to communicate with Porter or request reinforcements. Its only Kearny's scout that shakes out McDowell and his situation. A better performance for McDowell at the Rappahannock than IOTL, but with his worst flaws intact - that's good. Keep it up.

I wonder where Pope and Banks are? Pope could be in big trouble if the Rebs have captured him! Roll on Day 2 of the battle. Lee has gotta be concerned about the arrival of the Army of Potomac now.

Chapter Five “I mean to bag the lot” The Battle of the Rappahannock Part V
Chapter Five

“I mean to bag the lot”

Part V

eveofthestorm.jpg

From “Baiting the Trap: The Southern History of the Rappahannock Campaign” by professor Virgil Earp Stacey
LSU 1983

“Lee’s quandary was clear - should the attack be renewed in the morning. Ewell had reported that troops were heard crossing at Rappahannock Station during the night. Porter arriving or Pope’s army fleeing?

It was clear that Lee was disappointed. The objective, so aptly described by General Jackson, “to bag the lot”, had not been realized. Yet it had been tantalizingly close at times. Ewell’s division had smashed Schenk head on and flanked Schurz causing the Dutchmen to flee. Jones and Wilcox done the same to the divisions of Augur and King. Yet those attacks had only pushed the Yankees back closer to the fords and bridges. Hill had failed to break the Dutchmen before him, leaving Beverly Ford in a no man’s land between both lines, and while Hood had taken Kelly’ Ford, Kemper’s push towards Norman’s Ford was decisively stopped by Reynold’s Division. And of course the shrouded body but a few feet from Lee was evidence enough that General John Pope was beyond further chastisement in this world.

Longstreet believed the objective of “putting the Army of Virginia out of action” had been achieved. Of the 9 divisions (including the two cavalry brigades as 1 division) only 3 bore any resemblance to a division, 3 were smashed , and 3 were now brigade sized forces in disarray. At the same time Confederate casualties had been low, outside of Kemper’s and Hill’s Divisions. “We should withdraw before Porter comes up as he must soon”.

Jackson, still smarting from Hill’s failure to sweep the fords, was for renewing the fight. “Porter will be no more active that McClellan. We will have the morning at least to finish these people”.

Lee resolved to renew the attack at first light. Hood was to abandon Kelly’s Ford and assist Kemper in renewing the attack on Reynold’s in the south. Both his flanks were temptingly in the air. Wilcox was to flank Williams while Jones attacked him head on. Anderson would attack the refused lines of Schurz and Schenk. Taliaferro was to attack Reno’s line, though he overlapped slightly with Schenk’s line. However it was Hill’s attack that was given the most attention by Lee and Jackson. He was to attack Von Steinwehr and to do it he was reinforced with Ewell’s Division which had been pulled out of line during the night and marched by Jackson himself to a position behind Hill, alongside the river. “General Ewell, you are to drive your brigades along this river bank until you are in the rear of the enemy. You are to take Beverly Ford, yes, but your objective is the Rappahannock Bridge. Stop for nothing until it is taken…” Jackson’s verbal orders to Ewell according to Captain Campbell Brown of Ewell’s staff.

Andrew_A._Humphreys.jpg

From “The Slumbering Giant - The Army of the Potomac in the Rappahannock Campaign” by George Cresap Ord
McMahon publishing

“General Hooker noted that one tended to hear the Army of the Potomac’s Chief of Topographical Engineers, Andrew Atkinson Humphreys, before you saw him. His ability to cuss was renowned for its variety and volume. In the old army only Dick Ewell was supposed to be in his league. Yet it was no reflection on his zeal which was in evidence that morning as he rode up to report to General Kearny for duty. Without particular duties, and in frustration with General Porter’s slow progress , he had literally ridden to the sound of the guns to see what he could do. Kearny is reported to have clapped him on the back with his one good hand and assigned him to assist General Burnside who was almost out of general officers to assist in managing the remains of Schenk and Schurz’s division…”

Last edited:
Chapter Five “I mean to bag the lot” The Battle of the Rappahannock Part VI
Chapter Five

“I mean to bag the lot”

Part VI

Extracts from “The Campaign along the Rappahannock Line - In their own words” by Professor John C. Dunning
New York 1995

It was a fight of giants on that second day” Colonel Sir Percy Windham…

…Reynolds’ Division was being pressed to the point of breaking by Hood and Kemper. Brigadier General Jackson was mortally wounded, General Seymour too was wounded. Reynolds and Meade had refused both flanks, and Captain Dunbar Ransom of the 5th US Artillery would earn a Medal of Honour working his guns to repel several attacks by Kemper. But the morning was going ill for the men of Reynolds’ Division until General Dan Sickles brought up his division on Reynolds’ left. “I never thought I would ever write the words “I was desperately glad to see Dan Sickles” but whenever I think about the likely fate of my division that morning I feel inclined to write another few lines praising General Sickles” General John Reynolds…

with Sickles troops up in support of Reynolds, and with WHL Lee reporting that Buford and been reinforced heavily with infantry [Isaac Stevens’ Division] and pushing across Kelly’s Ford in our rear I judged our position perilous. I had no option but to order Generals Hood and Kemper to break off contact and withdraw south east towards Culpepper Court House” General James Longstreet…

We had them. By heaven we had them. Pryor’s brigade hit the Yankees on their open flank but my brigade and Wilcox’s old brigade were marching in the air! We were in the rear of the Yankee’s army. We passed the Stringfellow Farm capturing scores of wounded, and we had reached the railroad when a second line of Yankees appeared [Hooker’s Division]. There was a horde of them deploying into line, so I didn’t wait – I give an immediate order to charge

dgtrc.jpg

We had a devil of a time pulling out. The Yankees had stood firm and then come on. But for Pryor keeping the first line at bay I doubt I would have got my brigade out. In the end we fell in with Kemper’s boys and fell back” General Winfield S. Featherston…

…Anderson’s attack on the remains of Schurz and Schenk was supported by a brigade of Taliaferro’s division which overlapped the right wing of the reconstituted division. Burnside had taken direct control of Schurz’s forces and Humphreys Schenks. It was extremely difficult for these officers to hold the men in line – they were outnumbered, the Confederate starting position overlooked their own, and their moral had barely begun to recover from the previous days hammering. “At some time between 9 and 9.30 there were several breakthroughs. The fighting was hand to hand in places and General Burnside ordered a withdrawal from the position. I believed the position and indeed the battle was lost at that moment” (Colonel Alexander Schimmelfennig). At that point General Kearny rode up berating Burnside – “We shall not withdraw while I breath” (Lt. George B. Haskin). He came upon the 74th Pennsylvania, still in good order. “Where is your Colonel boys? We don’t know. Well then follow me!” (Major Franz Blessing). Forward went Kearny and forward went the 74th and so doing drove back the worst of the breakthroughs steadying that part of the line…

kearny1-jpg.341839

We must look to Humphreys to find who steadied the remainder of the line on the right. “I could not repeat the words he used to inspire the boys of our fine regiment, but I was a site [sic] more scared of him than I was of the Rebs. So when he took up our flag and rode back up the line we, everyone of us, followed him back for fear he would address us again!” Private Myles Barry of 75th Ohio…

From all I hear you would have thought Stinnwear’s [sic] boys would have had enough but they held Hill off and when Trimble’s boys appeared at the head of Ewell’s column, rather than break and run, his right wing swung back like a door and let them right through. Of course the wiley Dutchman [sic – von Steinwehr was a Brunswicker] knew we where coming up behind and would welcome game old Trimble as he deserved.” Major James Kavanagh 69th New York. Trimble brigade led the riverside attack by Ewell’s division in column of brigades. Trimble and indeed Ewell believed, after Von Steinwehr gave way, that they were in the rear of the Union army. Trimble’s surprise at running into Meagher’s Irish Brigade almost cost him his life. In the end it cost him his liberty…”Ewell had a devil of a time getting his troops out of the trap. He had stuck his head into the maw of the Union army and he nearly lost it at the neck. In the end he saved all but Trimble and his brigade” Colonel Sir Percy Windham…

At around 10.25 am Jackson spotted, from his vantage, large Union formations at the Rappahannock bridge and others approaching the Beverly Ford. Reluctantly and in poor temper General Jackson order his corps to break off the contest and withdraw…

Last edited:
wyndhamcongreslibrary.jpg

Sir Percy Wyndham, though an Englishman, was an Italian Knight (as well as a French Ensign, British Lieutenant, Austrian Captain, Italian Major, Military School founder, Magazine Publisher, Chemical Industrialist, Opera Founder, Balloon Enthusiast and ultimately Commander in Chief of the Burmese Army). He had been knighted for his service in the Italian Wars under Garibaldi. He commanded the 1st New Jersey Cavalry under Bayard.​

Last edited:
Chapter Six “We’ll fight them one handed” The Rise of Phil Kearny
Chapter Six

“We’ll fight them one handed”
The Rise of Phil Kearny

From “The Slumbering Giant - The Army of the Potomac in the Rappahannock Campaign” by George Cresap Ord
McMahon publishing

“It was after 1pm when General Porter arrived on the field. He found General Kearny in conference with Generals Burnside, Reno, Richardson, Humphreys, Stevens, Buford and Hooker planning a pursuit of the retreating rebels. Porter quickly asserted his authority and quashed any suggestion that a pursuit was possible – “it is neither practical nor desirable for this army to move forward in its current condition” was Porter’s view given later to Secretary Stanton…

Kearny, with a hand full of willing subordinates, had breathed life into the Union Armies in Virginia for a day before the soporific hand of a higher command had wafted the armies back to sleep. It had not gone unnoticed in Washington…”

New York 1995

Kearny’s action, by universal testimony, was magnificent” – General A.A Humphreys

I shall never forget the arrival of the brave General Kearny and his troops” – General Irvin McDowell

In the midst of the battle, his appearance certainly filled my beau ideal of a general better than anything I ever saw. It made the blood thrill through one’s veins, and would inspirit men, if anything could.” – Major Charles S. Wainright

200px-Philip_Kearny,jr.jpg

Osprey 2003

“Though the Armies of Virginia and of the Potomac still held the field at the end of the battle, many refused to consider the Battle of the Rappahannock a victory… The Army of Virginia had almost been wiped out… The failure of the commanders to communicate was hard to ignore, even though the true extent of those failures is perhaps only now understood: Pope had lied to Halleck; Banks had conspired with Pope; Burnside had omitted to report to Porter; McDowell had fallen silent when he needed help most; Porter had failed to pursue reports or maintain communications with Kearny at the Rappahannock or Stevens at Fredericksburg; and even Kearny had avoided communicating with Porter to avoid the anticipated order to retreat…

One thing was clear though, both armies would need a major reorganisation. An army commander was dead [John Pope]. A corps commander captured [Nathaniel Banks] and another injured [Franz Sigel]. Of the divisional commanders, Robert Schenk was dead, King, Ricketts and Schurz were prisoners, and Christopher Augur was injured. The price among brigade and regimental commanders was much higher…In return the Union had only General Trimble to show for its troubles. It was not then known that General Taliaferro was mortally wounded, while General Kemper would be out of action for some months…”

“It did not take long for President Lincoln to act. With the Armies of Virginia and the Potomac safely back on the north bank of the Rappahannock, the President and the Secretary of War were not content to wait for the arrival of the reports of the battle via General Halleck to end General Porter's "temporary" tenure in command, nor were they satisfied to rely on wildly contradictory newspaper reports of the battle. Lincoln, Stanton and Halleck interviewed 18 General officers over the course of 8 days in September…The last to be “invited” was General Kearny…

General, if General Porter were to be superseded in command who would you recommend for the combined command of the Armies of the Potomac and Virginia?” Stanton asked straight out. Kearny is said to have paused before responding.

Sir I would recommend Generals Hooker or Reynolds for the highest command. Of course gentlemen I will be happy to serve whomever you place at the head of the army.” It was Lincoln who responded;

General Kearny, I have asked that question of every other general we have spoken to these past few days and for once I am pleased to say they finally agree on something. They would all follow you. Which saves me the trouble of offending them with a decision I had already resolved upon. General Kearny, I would appoint you to the command of the Army of Potomac. I am convinced that you have the spirit to lead this army as it should be led. But we both know this command is a burden replete with risks. I understand that. I know you do. Therefore I will not command, I will only ask - will you take up this burden?

Mr President, Mr Secretary, General Halleck I thank you for the honor you do me. I accept. I will make no vows or promises. I will only say what I have said from the beginning - that I am of the firm opinion that the Army of the Potomac can defeat Lee and take Richmond; that I believe the key is to put all of its power into each battle, to leave none out, and to press the enemy closely at every opportunity…”

Last edited:
I am enjoying the HELL out of this TL! A unique POD, a battle in a familiar setting with familiar names, but it's all turned on its head.

Subscribed and recommended!

Chapter Seven Shuffling the Deck
Chapter Seven

Shuffling the Deck

From “Lincoln: A Life in Stories” by James Piper McCrory
North Carolina State

It reminds me of an old dray horse, called Hercules, owned by a hotel keeper back in Illinois. That was the worst tempered horse you ever saw. If you got near it, why it would bite and snap and kick and roll over. Why it’d do just about anything it could to hurt you. But if you were man enough to harness that old horse without getting hurt or bit, why there was no cart too heavy, no load to great, that that old horse couldn’t pull. Now what were we talking about General? Oh yes - the Army of the Potomac…” A story attributed to Lincoln’s interview with Kearny.

111119045609-abraham-lincoln-by-mathew-brady-story-top.jpg

From “A Thunderbolt on the Battlefield - the Battles of Philip Kearny: Volume III” by Professor Kearny Bowes

I am to have some say in the reorganization certainly, but I am not to have things all my own way. Perhaps that is no bad thing. I cannot claim to know all my corps commanders well. I certainly cannot be sure of the mettle of many. I have even less claim to knowledge about all my divisional commanders. Yet I have seen sound officers at work, and fighters in the field, and I mean to replace as many of those affected with the McClellan “slows” or an excess of respect for Lee as I can name…” General Kearny to General Sedgwick…

I do not know Howard well but he has been recommended to me by Reynolds from their West Point Days [teaching not as students] and I will not take a general I trust to fight out of the field…Davidson’s appointment has caused the most uproar here. People have not forgotten his overeagerness and his whipping at the hands of the Apache. Well I need an eager Cavalry commander. And I believe the man has thoroughly learned his lessons from his whipping by the finest light cavalry in the world. Like many men, I believe his whipping to have been the making of him…Von Steinwehr’s appointment is temporary, until Sigel is fit. I mean to keep the Prussian and damn Sigel…Come down and we will find you a division. We well heeled New Yorkers must set an example…” General Kearny to General Wadsworth.

The Army of the Potomac under Major General Philip Kearny - October 1862 (with former Army of Virginia designations in brackets)

Chief of Staff Brigadier General Oliver O. Howard
oliver-o-howard-1-sized.jpg

Chief of Artillery Brigadier General Henry J. Hunt
220px-Henry_Jackson_Hunt_-_Brady-Handy.jpg

I Corps (III Corps AoV) Major General John F Reynolds
220px-GenJFRenyolds.jpg

II Corps Major General Israel B Richardson
220px-IBRichardson.jpg

III Corps Major General Joseph Hooker
220px-Joseph_Hooker_-_Brady-Handy--restored.jpg

IV Corps Major General Erasmus D Keyes
200px-Erasmus_D._Keyes_-_Brady-Handy.jpg